Code of Conduct

Default Only 4 colognes is that enough? - all comments welcome! Cheers!

Hi all,

Currently, I have only 4 colognes and I am not sure if they are suitable for me and on what occassions should I wear what. I am in my lates 20's in the Banking industry where I meet clients on a regular basis and occassionally, I need to attend formal functions and during the weekends i hit the clubs to unwind. In addition, I am in the topics hot and humid weather and not sure if my choice of colognes are correct. Any comments are welcome! Cheers!

1) Channel Platinum - Egoiste
    2) Channel - Allure
    3) YSL - L' Homme
    4) Alfred Duhill - Desire

--------------------------

I also have 2 small sample bottles of L'eau D'issey - Pour Homme & Christian Dior - Fahrenheit

Which ones should i dump or keep? or new ones????

Default Re: Only 4 colognes is that enough? - all comments welcome! Cheers!

I say youre off to a flying start! Welcome rosw!

I dont think you need to shed any of your collection so far. I think your choices are wise and versatile for both work and play.

You may wish to investigate further Gucci Envy, Thierry Mugler Cologne, and Arpege PH by Lanvin.

... and you forgot to mention A*men for clubbin' =]

Get some Creeds =]

... and welcome to basenotes =]] Where about in australia are you ??? It seems like there are more Aussie on this board nowadays
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 11th January 2008 at 01:52 PM.

This is the start of a fragrance-junkie...basenote built me like that...just a joke...welcome rosw.
    Thats true...it´s time to test some niche scents :-) Creed, Frederic Malle, S. Lutens and so on.
    Just visit this site...I learnt a lot about fragrance...thanks to this site.

Sometimes I look at my collection and panic because there are too many and I neglect some of the poor bottles in the back! I say however many you can actually wear is enough....plus 10 (kidding).

(make sure you check out all the Serge Lutens )

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    ... and you forgot to mention A*men for clubbin' =]

Get some Creeds =]

... and welcome to basenotes =]] Where about in australia are you ??? It seems like there are more Aussie on this board nowadays

NSW - sydney
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Sometimes I look at my collection and panic because there are too many and I neglect some of the poor bottles in the back! I say however many you can actually wear is enough....plus 10 (kidding).

(make sure you check out all the Serge Lutens )

Welcome!
    Serge Lutens?

i can't find that...
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    This is the start of a fragrance-junkie...basenote built me like that...just a joke...welcome rosw.
    Thats true...it´s time to test some niche scents :-) Creed, Frederic Malle, S. Lutens and so on.
    Just visit this site...I learnt a lot about fragrance...thanks to this site.
    hihi
    where can i find more info about Frederic Malle n S. Lutens??
    Last edited by rosw; 11th January 2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

For the longest time I was a serial monogamist regarding scents: I used one bottle at a time, until it was almost gone, at which point I was thoroughly bored with it and would never buy it again. Amongst others, I went through Havana, Montana, Equipage, Bel Ami, Vendetta, Jacomo and Terre de Hermes this way, as well as earlier scents like Timberline and all four Numero Unos. (Anyone remember Numero Uno? I would sure love to smell them again!)

Then, thanks mainly to the reviews on Basenotes and a couple of external triggers, I switched to the "dark side," and I suddenly find myself with a collection of around 80 bottles - and growing. (I've even got a few "back ups.")

The advantage of this is that you have more than enough choice to prevent boredom. The disadvantage is that choosing what to wear each morning can quite time-consuming.

My advice would be to "grow" your collection slowly and choose scents that are quite different to the (lovely) ones you already have. Later on you can start adding variations of the main themes to your collection. Basenotes is certainly the right place to find advice!

I'd suggest trying Grigioperla Hedo, and the Laliques and Carons for men. The former are ethereal and almost melancholy, while the latter are powerful and (best of all) unusual.

I'd also second the Arpege for Men suggestion...

Regardless, choose scents that you love. Don't automatically follow the "popular" route - but don't discount fragrances just because they are popular either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I say youre off to a flying start! Welcome rosw!

I dont think you need to shed any of your collection so far. I think your choices are wise and versatile for both work and play.

You may wish to investigate further Gucci Envy, Thierry Mugler Cologne, and Arpege PH by Lanvin.
    ...AND I know I'm always saying it but... Terre d'Hermes. SEE??? See what happens? The "ANDs" never end!
    Last edited by nthny; 11th January 2008 at 02:16 PM.

Lots of great info & reviews on this site:

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...ceReviews.html

You'll find most info about Serge Lutens & Malle there inside the reviews.

For Lutens specifically, check out this site:

http://sergelutens.blogspot.com/

Yes, 4 colognes are all you really need! 4 fragrances were all I needed too. A hundred or so fragrances later . . . I'm still searching for the perfect 4!

There is so much fragrance and so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Don't forget money :P

Usually I tell my friends that four is enough as long as they have... one evening scent, one casual scent, one warmer months scent and one colder months scent. After that, you're a cologne junkie

I think a rotation of 4 colognes (maybe 5) is perfect for those who want to be recognized by their scent. Keeping a signature. However, just like a getaway out of town, it is nice to experiment with other fragrances and through that process it will allow you to 'retire when empty' and replace or sometimes even 'fire' a fragrance.

My four right now;

Knize Ten
    Heeley Cardinal
    Ambre Sultan
    Yatagan

I have retired; Guerlain Vetiver and many others.

Devin is in 'time out'.

Mr. Taylors and others have been fired.
    Last edited by 1holegrouper; 11th January 2008 at 03:49 PM.

Don't worry too much about Creeds and Serge Lutens ones, they either don't have the lasting power that you'd want in hot and humid weather, or they may be too overpowering in your climate (especially the Lutens ones).

If you need a few more fresh long lasting ones for work, check out Azzaro's Chrome, Azzaro's Pure Vetiver, Tommy T, D&G Masculine, Boss Elements and Halston Unbound which are currently often going cheap in the various discount chemists and discount perfume places around the place.

Four scents are enough. But most of yours are relatively expensive, and you'll get to use them for longer if you also make use of the cheaper good ones that are around.
    Renato

I think you have great combination. I would add something spicy though, like Opium PH
    I second DG Masculine. And I would add Burberry London, Narciso Rodriguez PH, Guerlain Vetiver, Givenchy Xerius and Prada PH. They all seem classy, modern and versatile to me.
    Last edited by Boal; 11th January 2008 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Four can be perfectly sufficient, and you can feel incomplete with 250 (trust me), it all depends on how crazy you are .

Being in the tropics, I would suggest some great citrus scents. Really grand stuff:
    Nina Ricci Signoricci - for business ocasions. It's so fresh, yet so refined people will want to do business with you all day.

Creed Selection Verte - allrounder, very refreshing, there is no better combination of mint and citrus.

Geo F. Trumper Extract of West Indian Limes - for yourself. The best sheer lime. It's very short lived, but it gives you an incredible jump start in the morning, or refreshes at any time.

Terre d'Hermes - something hip, yet really good, citrus plus flint and earthy notes, yet everything clear and transparent, but never lame, as so many "modern" perfumes. Even suitable for clubbing.

And now for something completely different:
    Malle Musc Ravageur - might just change your life, or you into Mr. Hyde. Bring on James Brown and do the funky chicken. It's cinnamon, vanilla, sexy muskiness - but doesn't smell cheap, just sexy & like a million bucks. Great art that's great fun.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Re: Only 4 colognes is that enough? - all comments welcome! Cheers!

Word of CAUTION! These fragrances, can be like a big BLACK HOLE! You will get sucked right in. If your not careful your Master card will never be heard from again, but you sure will smell good!
    Good luck man! Run, Run, be happy with 4, and move on! If only I could have been so strong!

i am also new here and i have been sampling many niche fragrances lately.

if i were you i would start safe and try the Creed line: millesime imperial is great one of my favorites, tabarome, Green Irish Tweed, neroli sauvage,.bois de portugal. and go from there.

here comes the AND.. YSL M7 Fresh.. AND Narciso Rodriguez are good

niche fragrances can be confusing and really difficult to find one you like, trust me im trying. always buy a sample first.

i have not found a serge lutens that i like so far. i have sampled chergui ,MKK,

that should keep you busy for a little bit. dont hesitate to ask if you want more recommendations .. the guys on this board have many more!!!!.... welcome to basenotes!!!
    i second burberry london. very nice .. how could i forget that one.
    Last edited by marcovgv; 11th January 2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Finding all the different niche frags that you can try will be just as much work as actually buying them....there are seemingly hundreds and hundreds of niche frags you have to decide between for your sampling fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rosw View Post
    Hi all,

Currently, I have only 4 colognes and I am not sure if they are suitable for me and on what occassions should I wear what. I am in my lates 20's in the Banking industry where I meet clients on a regular basis and occassionally, I need to attend formal functions and during the weekends i hit the clubs to unwind. In addition, I am in the topics hot and humid weather and not sure if my choice of colognes are correct. Any comments are welcome! Cheers!

1) Channel Platinum - Egoiste
    2) Channel - Allure
    3) YSL - L' Homme
    4) Alfred Duhill - Desire

--------------------------

I also have 2 small sample bottles of L'eau D'issey - Pour Homme & Christian Dior - Fahrenheit

Which ones should i dump or keep? or new ones????

I am a banker myself.....and as a banker i firmly believe you need a Creed or four.

i'd recommend Himalaya, MI and Original Vetiver........Virgin Island Water(since you are in the tropics).
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Your (first 4 - sure to grow if you visit here often! ) 4 are good ones! For me, I try each basic type... get some samples... try as many as you can, and when you find a few you like, get 'em!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

To avoid excess (you all know what I mean) you should get as many samples as you can of as many things you want to try and buy full bottles of only those that capture you and that you enjoy.
    Last edited by jeffrey; 12th January 2008 at 01:02 AM.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

FYI re: Sydney

You can try the Creeds at Harrolds in Martin Place (Lorrenzo Villoresis too).
    You can try the Lutens at Mecca in DJs. DJs also stock some L'Artisans and Acqua di Parma.

If I were you, I'd go to DJs and see if you like Acqua di Parma, either original Colonia or Colonia Assoluta (I find the latter more long lasting and better but I am in a minority). It would be perfect for a banker at client interviews - ultra classy but subdued, not loud assome bankers may cast their image.

Try the Creeds at Harrolds. Even though it is the most common, I think Green Irish Tweed is the best introduction to Creed. Better longevity than Millesime Imperial or Himalaya.

And write to Frederic Malle, ask for samples of Vetiver Extraordinaire and Musc Ravageur. MR would be a nice clubbing frag. They aren't stocked in Australia, but they will send samples to Sydney - then if you want to buy, they will ship full bottles.

The four that you've got are sensational, but add those 3 to your collection, even better. They're not cheap BTW but you're a banker, you can afford it ;-)

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Cool Re: Only 4 colognes is that enough? - all comments welcome! Cheers!

I suppose you'd only need 4 colognes, but I wouldn't choose those 4
    I listed Niche and Budget, depending on how much you are looking to spend.
    If you had 1 cologne from each of the categories below, it should be enough to get you through the week.

1. Daytime - Creed Millesime Imperial / Unforgivable
    Creed Green Irish Tweed / Davidoff Cool Water
    Creed Original Vetiver / Mugler Cologne
    Creed Virgin Island Water / Marc Jacobs for Men
    Creed Erolfa or Bond No.9 Wall Street / L'eau D'issey
    Creed Himalaya / Paco Rabanne XS
    Penhaligon's Endymion / YSL Body Kouros
    Montale Soleil de Capri/ Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta / Acqua di Gio
    Bond No.9 Scent of Peace / DKNY Light Blue
    Bond No.9 Little Italy / Clinique Happy for Men

2. Night - Bond No.9 New Haarlam / Rochas Man or A*Men
    Montale Black Aoud / Yves St. Laurent M7
    Creed Original Santal / Joop!
    Frederic Malle Noir Epices / Gucci Envy

3. Formal - Creed Bois du Portugal / PdN New York or Guerlain Heritage
    Creed Baie de Genievre / Guerlain Vetiver
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa / Dior Eau Sauvage

4. Special - Bond No.9 Bleecker Street / Victoria's Secret Very Sexy for Him
    Serge Lutens Chergui / Michael Kors
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan / Prada Amber Homme
    Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan / YSL Kouros or Caron Yatagon (if anyone gets this joke, props to ya, hahaha)
    Montale Blue Amber / Gaultier2
    Montale White Aoud / YSL M7 Fresh
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur / Kiehl's Original Musk
    L'Artisan Tea For Two / Bvlgari Black
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 12th January 2008 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Yes, 4 colognes are all you really need! 4 fragrances were all I needed too. A hundred or so fragrances later . . . I'm still searching for the perfect 4!

I agree with this! I have tons of stuff, but still looking for the perfect four.

Welcome Ros ...
    You got a nice balanced lot to start with and it won't be long and you'll be buying in fours !
    stay cool buddy
    cheers
    D

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Aww hell rosw...give it up and start packin' em in!

If you could get adequate nutrition from eating only four specific foods only, would you?

Nah, you wouldn't, with the wonderful variety available and all the things you have never tasted but would like. Enjoy!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon