Code of Conduct

Default Green Scent Question...

Hello everyone,

This is probably a redundant thread but I figured I'd ask anyway...

I was browsing my wardrobe and I noticed a definite lack of green/leafy/planty fragrances in my collection. I wore a forest green blazer with a cream/green argyle vest and shirt.. along with brown pants and shoes today..and realized that a nice green scent would have topped off the outfit perfectly. I opted for L'Occitane's Vetyver but it didn't really hit home like I had hoped it would. I have sampled many vetiver fragrances and I am happy with my L'Occitane's take on the note (and thus, I am not looking for a vetiver scent)... I have tried fragrances like Tsar, Nobile, Eau de Lierre, Good Life... and found them drab...or incomplete...

I own Ditpyque's Philosykos and enjoy it immensely, but find it too creamy to be my go-to green... I also took a liking to L'Eau de L'Artisan.. but also found it a little sweet..

My collection has it all.. citrus, powerhouse, amber, gourmand, fougere, chypre.... but I 'need' an ideal green fragrance! I live in Ottawa Canada and have little access to niche/high-end euro fragrances... and have relied on purchases/swaps on the basenotes marketplace.. so please keep that in mind when making suggestions..

I would be ever-so-grateful if someone could rec. the perfect green fragrance... the one that would best fill this void in my collection... one that best epitomizes the leafy/natural theme.. one that is elegant, refined..beautiful....

Can anyone help?

a.

Default Re: Green Scent Question...

Have you tried Blenheim Bouquet? It is a great scent that has fantastic pine notes and has no hint of sweetness at all.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    Have you tried Blenheim Bouquet? It is a great scent that has fantastic pine notes and has no hint of sweetness at all.
    I have not tried this fragrance... I remember awhile ago... it seemed to be all the rage on basenotes. I will have to look into it.. thank you for the suggestion.

a.

Alphabetical by house (from my "show all" list). Number of stars indicates level of (the combination of ) Greeness and awesomeness!
    (Sorry NF, I know you've already tried most of these, but maybe it will be of use to others as well...)

Eau de Cartier Concentree***
    Chevrefeuille Orig.****
    Cypres Musc****
    Feuille Verte*****
    GIT *****
    Green Valley*****
    Orig. Vetiver*****
    Selection Verte*****
    Fou d' Absinthe***
    Lacoste Original*
    Miracle L'Aquatonic**
    Trophee Lancome***
    Acqua Brasilis**
    Arbo**
    English Fern****
    Monsieur Rochas***
    Mugler Cologne****
    Freshman**
    Grafton***

If I had to choose one, it would be Feuille Verte, but since its so hard to find, I'd give a wholehearted reccommendation for Selection Verte. I could never get tired of either of these.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Green, green, green and green #3 by Miller et Bertaux. Notes of bay leaves, white jasmine, verbena, cedar, vetiver and musk. It lives up to its name. One of the greenest I have worn.

I'll be checking that one out. I think I like jasmine in green scents. I love green scents period.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

How about an herbaceous-spicy green leather patchouli amber incense fragrance with bergamot, carnation, rose, geranium, lavender, jasmine, cedar, oakmoss and musk?
    Polo (green) by Ralph Lauren.

An oldie but goodie that only a few people will recognize.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    How about an herbaceous-spicy green leather patchouli amber incense fragrance with bergamot, carnation, rose, geranium, lavender, jasmine, cedar, oakmoss and musk?
    Polo (green) by Ralph Lauren.

An oldie but goodie that only a few people will recognize.
    Excellent suggestion... and true.. Polo is very green and piney... I guess I should have specified that I am looking for something that makes for good spring/warm weather use..

I will never be without a bottle of Polo Green..I must confess.. in fact..maybe I'll tackle that powerhouse tomorrow.

a.

Quote Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
    I have not tried this fragrance... I remember awhile ago... it seemed to be all the rage on basenotes. I will have to look into it.. thank you for the suggestion.

a.
    What a coincidence! You shaw have a sniff on friday.

I dont think B. Bouquet and Polo Green qualify as "Green" fragrances ...both are based on pine, and Polo Green has undertones of ashtray..
    -

L'Ombre dans L'Eau, by Ditpyque -- exceptionally green, rose-based unisex frag.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

What about Miracle Homme l'Aquatonic or Yang?

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I dont think B. Bouquet and Polo Green qualify as "Green" fragrances ...both are based on pine, and Polo Green has undertones of ashtray..
    ...then why don't you share what you might consider a good 'green' scent then?

a.

Other than the Miller et Bertaux, most of the ones previoulsy mentioned aren't technically green.

These are all green:

Diptyque Virgilio
    MPG Baïme
    Nino Cerruti (1979)
    Sisley Eau de Campagne
    Aramis Devin
    LV Yerbamate
    Halston 1-12
    Pierre Balmain Vent Vert

Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau is an excellent green floral. You should try Jacinthe des Bois (L'Artisan) and Ivoire (Pierre Balmain) as well.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th January 2008 at 04:05 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I second the Green, green, green & green by Miller et Bertaux recommendation. Lovely stuff. It also smells exactly like Un Jardin Mediteranee by Hermes. You can't go wrong with either one.

I almost suggested Eau de Campagne by Sisley, but there's a particular note in it (I can't figure it out, maybe it's the tomato leaf?) that annoys me. Even if it was done by JC Ellena.

One not mentioned: Bel Respiro by Chanel (Les Exclusifs)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th January 2008 at 02:53 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Well even if Polo Green and B. Bouquet don't technically qualify as green......the color I think of when I smell them is definitely green. Maybe I need to sample some of these other greens and my mind might be changed. Of course that requires me to determine which samples to buy because they closest department store to me is an 8+ hour drive.

I am not sure how allergic are you to Bonds but Gramercy Park is nice green floral scent.

From a price point this might be a ludicrous suggestion, but right now my absolutely favorite green is Victrix by Profumum. Can you get samples from luckyscent? Also stupidly expensive is Mazzolari Mazzolari which is piney I guess, but not just and I think it is pretty green.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 10th January 2008 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    L'Ombre dans L'Eau, by Ditpyque -- exceptionally green, rose-based unisex frag.
    Great suggestion. I ran out of this at the end of the summer and will miss it this spring if I cant get a replacement.

The problem with searching for a "green" scent is that they come in so many disparate varieties. Just off the top of my head...
    Grassy - Vetiver fragrances
    Mossy - a million examples...
    Pine and evergreen woods - ie the Polo Green
    Earthy green or floral green, like L'Ombre dans L'Eau
    Green tea - I find Roger and Gallet's Eau de Thé Vert very green, or the more abstract Yerbamate by Villoresi
    Herbal green fragrances like Gendarme Green (Basil)
    In general, I find that the fragrances by L'Occitane have many shades of green at their base. You might explore their offerings in addition to the Vetyver you have.
    And a shout out to Calamus by CdG. Great green stuff, though probably too smooth and "milky" for what you are looking for. A really unique, vegital, take on green. Sounds weird, but its completely wearable.
    Good luck,

-Slim
    Last edited by SlimPickins; 10th January 2008 at 04:21 AM.
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Guerlain Vetiver is probably my fave. Mugler Cologne quickly catching up. Polo Green now sits in the archives, in remembrance of post-disco era mustache. Jovan Grass Oil still gets a spritz now and then.

try Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle.....it did the trick for me...

all i smelled is leafs, grass and piece of mind. great frag.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Hi Guys ... Can a frag with this makeup be considered >> GREEN ?
    __________________________________________________ ______

Top ... Citrus - Bergamot - Galbanum - Juniper - Geranium
    Middle ... Rose - Nutmeg - Jasmine - Violet
    Base .. Cedar - Iriswood - Sandalwood - Vanilla

Apologizing in advance if Im way out off ballpark range .
    cheers ..

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

oooooh, piece of mind? Yikes!

Dimtrios, with galbanum listed in the top notes, chances are pretty good it could be considered a green scent. Of course it depends on the amount of galbanum but probably so...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Hi Guys ... Can a frag with this makeup be considered >> GREEN ?

Top ... Citrus - Bergamot - Galbanum - Juniper - Geranium
    Middle ... Rose - Nutmeg - Jasmine - Violet
    Base .. Cedar - Iriswood - Sandalwood - Vanilla

Apologizing in advance if Im way out off ballpark range .
    cheers ..
    I agree with Kelly - the galbanum in the top will give it a green kick at the beginning, however the vanilla base note might change things...Most of the scents that I associate GREEN with don't have a vanilla base. However maybe this vanilla is not that prominent...
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Which Green are you after - grassy, leafy, flowerstemy & piney? The best green I've come across is Guerlain Cologne du 68. Only available at their Paris store, but it's simply divine. Covers the grassy/leafy/flowerstemy notes very well. You can't go wrong with this one. But like I said, only available at their store. Perhaps a pilgrimage could be initiated.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

i guess i will toss in my 2 cents here. i really havent tried too many scents but of the ones i have:

penhaligons- english fern

very unique and very green, i dont really like it too much in the winter time but it is great for the other 3 seasons.

penhaligons-bb

lemon and pine, very nice. it just fades too quickly on me.

cheers,
    ryan

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I second the Green, green, green & green by Miller et Bertaux recommendation. Lovely stuff. It also smells exactly like Un Jardin Mediteranee by Hermes. You can't go wrong with either one.

I almost suggested Eau de Campagne by Sisley, but there's a particular note in it (I can't figure it out, maybe it's the tomato leaf?) that annoys me. Even if it was done by JC Ellena.

One not mentioned: Bel Respiro by Chanel (Les Exclusifs)
    I do suggest Eau de Campagne. A fresh vegetal (tomato)leafy green.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

If you haven't already checked it out - Greenergy by Givenchy might be worth a test.

The one green frag I cannot wear but you perhaps can: Baïme, by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier.
    I tried wearing it, truly I did, but it just came out all basil and Miracle Whip on me.
    (I literally smelled like one of my grandmother's summer salad concoctions.)

As green basils go, though, not all are bad: Bob Mackie for Men comes instantly to mind as a real sleeper.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 10th January 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Which Green are you after - grassy, leafy, flowerstemy & piney? The best green I've come across is Guerlain Cologne du 68. Only available at their Paris store, but it's simply divine. Covers the grassy/leafy/flowerstemy notes very well. You can't go wrong with this one. But like I said, only available at their store. Perhaps a pilgrimage could be initiated.
    Bergdorf was carrying this last time I paid a visit.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

bobby jones, is named after a golfer and smells like a green golf course very well done..apply sparingly

Maybe give Kiton Black a ride.

Thumbs up Re: Green Scent Question...

trust in me and buy MARQUIS BY CROWN.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

I'm gonna suggest a classic which deserves it's status: Grey Flannel.

Grey Flannel is considered green??? I obviously have no idea what a 'green' scent is supposed to smell like because I do not think green with Grey Flannel (you don't mean Eau de Grey Flannel right?)

I wish I had seen that outfit...to me it sounds like you'd want something heavier like Polo Green to support an outfit of such restrained class. I like the selection of FM VE..but I think it might be too airy (and you mentioned not wanting vetiver).

What about something really simple like Orange Verte? I find it very green and uplifting, I think it also lasts longer than people think. It's also easy to get, cheap, and women will like you for not smelling like Polo Green Your skinny ass might have to use the soap for extra longevity.

Guerlain Vetiver
    Lalique Encre Noir

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm gonna suggest a classic which deserves it's status: Grey Flannel.
    You may be thinking of Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene, who also makes Grey Flannel. Grey Flannel is not green but Bowling Green is and is worth a try. Some green scents that I think are pretty good are:

Green by Gendarme
    Bel Repriso by Chanel
    Angeliques Sous la Pluie by Ed. Fr. Malle
    French Lover by Ed. Fr. Malle
    Eau de Campagne by Sisley

Hmm, what is Grey Flannel considered then? The violet and oakmoss give it a green feel to me - but I take it I'm associating the wrong qualities with the understood meaning of green, here.

i dont think i've smelt anything that smelled more like a pure grass during summer time than Frank Los Angeles.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by usqview View Post
    i guess i will toss in my 2 cents here. i really havent tried too many scents but of the ones i have:

penhaligons- english fern

very unique and very green, i dont really like it too much in the winter time but it is great for the other 3 seasons.

penhaligons-bb

lemon and pine, very nice. it just fades too quickly on me.

cheers,
    ryan
    I am going to pipe in here with Ryan's suggestions.
    I have been exploring Penhaligon's and these are some :toppie:s if you ask me.
    English Fern would be my preference for green...I get lavender, mint and just a hint of incense in the drydown. (mind you , that could be my imagination, but that's what I get.)
    LOVE this one. It's on my new wishlist and I would get it just to wear around the house now and then, being a woman, I don't see myself wearing it out and about much.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    You may be thinking of Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene, who also makes Grey Flannel. Grey Flannel is not green ...
    Grey Flannel is one of the oldest green fragrances men have (top and heart notes). Although Osmoz have classified it as a woody-floral fragrance, they describe its greenness this way: "The top green note of galbanum and sparkling note of petit grain and neroli animate the warmth of the fragrance.The generous use of floral green notes of violet and rose ..." Also the H&R Genealogy carries it as green, a "Green Chypre" to be more exact.
    Last edited by narcus; 13th January 2008 at 01:56 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Thank goodness. If Grey Flannel wasn't considered green, I wouldn't know what could be.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Grey Flannel is one of the oldest green fragrances men have (top and heart notes). Although Osmoz have classified it as a woody-floral fragrance, they describe its greenness this way: "The top green note of galbanum and sparkling note of petit grain and neroli animate the warmth of the fragrance.The generous use of floral green notes of violet and rose ..." Also the H&R Genealogy carries it as green, a "Green Chypre" to be more exact.
    thanks Narcus - I stand corrected. My memory of Grey Flannel is a little "fuzzy" but I sure don't remember it as green. I'll have to try it again.
    --------------------------------------
    I tried Grey Flannel again and anyone looking for a green fragrance would be very disappointed with this one as green.

The company marketing description of the scent is "Grey Flannel is classified as a luxurious, oriental, woody fragrance. This masculine scent possesses a blend of lemon, orange, violet, cinnamon and rose. Accompanied by woody notes of oak and sandalwood."

It may be green to some but there are definitely better fragrances to satisfy the natural desire for green. I smell no green notes in Grey Flannel - a little citrus before the violet/rose and woods?!
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 19th January 2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost