Code of Conduct

Default I'm too old for my age

I had to get your attention somehow!

Okay guys, I'm not doing so well in the fragrance department anymore... I'm fairly young, but here I sit, wearing Pomegranate Noir, looking through my samples of Outrageous, Hypnose, Double Black, Antidote, Madrigal, Grey Flannel, Desire Blue, HOT Always, Equistrius, Lime Aoud, Rose Poivree, Voleur de Roses, Black Aoud, LV Musk, an Anonymous (non-labeled) fragrance, and Domenico Caraceni 1913... I can't help but get the feeling that maybe they're a little too mature for me. It's almost like I'm trying too hard to get the "best" scent.

Given that, I will say that some of these in my sample list could work on me, but it almost feels like I'm wasting my time here. I love most, if not all, of the more exquisite samples (bye bye Desire Blue!) but I'm never going to wear them to school, and I'm never going to wear them around girls.

So I'm SOL right now, with my slew of samples and my already-bought bottles of cologne (actually, I'm okay with the bottles); thusly, I respectfully request any opinion that my fellow NoseBaters may have on a youthful, immature scent. I'm going to sample Obsession Night, as well as Paradise for Men by Alfred Sung, even though I heard the scent life is mediocre, and see if anything along those lines may work for me.

If it helps the recommendations, the fruity/"jazzy" (spiced fruits) kind work immensely well on me. Nightflight, Outrageous, and Pomegranate Noir are all marvelous for me. Sweet, woodsy things like Jaipur are epic failures; and I'm not particularly a fan of metallic aquatics. I know I'm picky, but bah, I'm a teenager, I should be allowed to be a pompous, demanding arse

PS: I used up my entire sample of Outrageous, and it really is outrageous. It's like spiced apple cider brought to my nose on a fresh, floral spring breeze. I love it enough to force my friend to buy it for me for my birthday present.

Also, for those of you who are wondering, I'm going to post a huge megareview of all 19 of my samples (some weren't mentioned in here) as soon as I deplete them from my supplies.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance, and I appreciate you all taking the time to help a basenoter-in-need out!

Cheers,

Nik

Default Re: I'm too old for my age

Nik, yer crazy just kidding... BUT, none of your fragrances seem "old" or "mature" and I often think a younger guy wearing a beautifully composed traditional fragrance is a sexy contrast. But again, nowhere in that list is anything too mature. But since you are a man of taste, I'll suggest two Creeds which seem perfectly tasteful for any age group, and I'm sure you've tried them but Millesimme Imperial and Silver Mountain Water are gorgeous, well composed masterpieces on the lighter side. Acquiring these, you'd project impeccable taste, as well as be wearing fragrances with virtually universal appeal to both men and women. I'll add one little more fragrance I don't find myself wearing as much as I thought I would... Black XS by Paco Rabanne. This is a sexy fragrance that is also well composed, beautiful, on the more "night time" side that might fit your more youthful requirements, and you can find it pretty much everywhere. Give it a shot.
    Last edited by nthny; 10th January 2008 at 01:24 AM.

I have two suggestions on easy to find and very youthful....Diesel Fuel for Life PH and Paris Hilton for Him. They are both very fruity. I have smelled them on high school aged students in the past, and it completely works for a younger person.

Post Thanks / Like

try obsession night...it has a vanilla, pear thing going on and i really liked it...i hope you do!

another fruity spiced frag is carlos santana...spicy nutmeg apple sexiness! Good Stuff.

Also try michael Kors, Kors...its cherry tobacco plain and simple and its awesome...not stuffy at all...i cant wait to get some myself.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, they're all noted!

nthny, I've tried SMW and MI, and I liked them... unfortunately, I'm a college student on a budget, so buying two Creeds would rob me of what little money I already have! But you sparked my interested in Black XS yet again; I was going to order a sample, but I totally forgot... I'll give it a shot!

primetime34 & jdnba, I'll give those a shot too.... minus the Paris Hilton. I tried it, but it wasn't my kind of fruity. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: I'm too old for my age

Well Leifer, I won't say I'm too young for mine, though I've often wondered if I''ve been secretly recruited as part of a medical experiment to determine if men can go from adolescence to senility with no time in between.

Now then,

Some of the best, if not THE best scents with fruit accords have been discontinued, that's the bad news. They include Aramis Havana, Nicole Miller for Men, and the original (1989) Montana EDP--

The good news is you might find some for sale here, or on the www.

So what's left that's easy to get a hold of?
    I assume you've already tried John Varvatos, both the original and 'vintage' variation. If not, give it a shot. You should find them at your local malls.
    Moving up the food chain, or at least in price range, try Rocabar by Hermes (fruit accord/pine) while you're there.

-----------

Yves Rocher makes a good fruity el cheapo called Homme Nature, if you order it from their Canadian HQ they might give you a 2 for one price to boot.

Another good --and strange fruit accord is Quasar (bananas and newsprint?) it works.

Have you tried Geir by Geir Ness?

Finally, there's the GQ babe magnet, Mont Blanc Individuel. It's a tad sweet for some, but provided you don't overspray the juniper berry note is what should shine forth.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

You are only as old as the women you shag. So what if its 4711 (from 1000 BC) thats getting you some action ?
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    You are only as old as the women you shag. So what if its 4711 (from 1000 BC) thats getting you some action ?
    if 4711 was getting me steady action i would buy a case! Hahaha...if your saying it does i might have to get me some!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Anthony - try Black XS by Paco Rabanne. My boyfriend wears this all of the time and it smells great on him. I remember Marlen calling it 'goth Pez' scented, which I always thought was funny sounding, but it kinda fits BXS. I think it reminds me of Smuckers strawberry jam and the particular scent a smoke machine makes, at certain nightclubs. In a good way.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

All of these fragrances are discounted heavily online, so it's great to know that I can get basenoter-approved scents for the $20-25 range! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

if you can afford the sample....try Frederic Malle OUTRAGEOUS!

if the capital font and exclamation point doesnt scream "i'm young, hot and sexy! so look at me biatches!!!" then the fragrance certainly does.....and not for nothing, i think i had every female that walked by me cuddle up close to me in order to get the whiff over and over and over again...

the first hit is bubble gum/candy plus citrus and musk.....at least to me....

try it.....i loved it almost as much as the females that were smelling it on me.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

If you remove yourself from all possible equations you become ageless and free.

acceptfacts, I tried Outrageous. Read the first part and the very last line of my introduction

I loved it. It's like spiced apple cider on my skin. Ridiculously good.

I know what you mean. I find a lot of the finer niche fragrances to be like Haute Couture - largely unwearable art, however lovely, in a real world of jeans and polo shirts.

On the lower end I would recommend Kenneth Cole Reaction, which was recommended to me by a beautiful young woman of 22. It is suprising well composed IMO. Fruity and only lightly spiced. You may find the fruit note similar to Outrageous.

On the higher end I'm really enjoying FM Bigarade Concentree. Gorgeous citrus, very easy to wear. Painfully expensive, but I absolutely want to bathe in this stuff.

Off-Scenter

Age? Bah, humbug! At your age I was wearing Tuscany, Devin (both still good scents) and yes, Jaipur Homme. Women (well maybe back then they were still "girls")always told me I smelled great. Feeling the likes of Black Aoud and Pomegranate Noir are a little "big" for you? They probably aren't, but if you want something that's a little lighter and more playful, but will still meet your demands for quality, try sampling some of these great green, fruity, or lighter woody scents:

Philosykos
    Iskander
    Bahiana
    Eau d'Hadrien
    Eau du Sud
    Chevalier d'Orsay
    Etiquette Bleu
    Virgilio
    Terre d'Hermes
    Mure e Musc (not the extreme, not the cologne)
    Fraicheur Muskissime or Sanguine Muskissime
    Mona di Orio's Lux
    and Parfumerie Generale Intrigant Patchouli.

Now that the directory is back, check out some of the reviews!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    acceptfacts, I tried Outrageous. Read the first part and the very last line of my introduction

I loved it. It's like spiced apple cider on my skin. Ridiculously good.

lol sorry....the funny thing is i remember the P.S part but just for some reason i glossed over the 'OUTRAGEOUS' part.......i remember recommending this frag to you last time you were looking for a signature scent...

i think the best part about it(outside of how amazingly Loud and young and playful it is), is the fact that you'll surely be the only one who will smell like it......and i'm sure after smelling it, you agree with me that it smells like nothing else.

P.S have you tried Escada Magnetism?
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

this may sound weird at first and i don't know your age but try out ck be or eternity. calven klein's stuff is pretty youthful for cheap.

Vibert, I already wear Jaipur, and have tried Tuscany But I kindly accept your suggestions, and look forward to sampling them next time I venture into Parfumerie. By the way, you've got a PM!

acceptfacts, I think that Outrageous will be a good summer scent for me, somewhat of a signature, but not really... I'm nuts for Double Black right now.

chadwick, I've tried out both of those, and I like Obsession Night for what it is. Have you sampled that one? It's supposed to be pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try Body Kouros for the Winter/colder scent?

The scent that I think would be perfect for you is D&G Masculine. It was actually marketed toward younger people. On one level its description could be reduced to a simple citrus with a little vanilla, but it's a fragrance that I consider a hidden gem. It's balanced perfectly. It can lift your mood in a heartbeat. When I put it on, I get the magical feeling that I've just gotten a haircut, it's Saturday morning, the sun is shining, and school is out for the Summer...

I know girls like it on me as well. D&G Masculine. Get it. Know it. Love it.

PS: I'm kind of shocked to see that there are some negative reviews for this one. It's like giving negative reviews to a labrador puppy. Jeez...
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 10th January 2008 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: I'm too old for my age

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think it reminds me of Smuckers strawberry jam and the particular scent a smoke machine makes, at certain nightclubs. In a good way.
    That description kicks ass!
    The quickest chance I get... I'm gonna try PR Black XS.

acceptfacts, I absolutely despise BK. It's very bland and poorly done, it smells like it should have spices, but somewhere along the lines, went flat.

Indie_Guy, I tried D&G Masculine, I didn't bother remembering it. However, since I didn't bother remembering it, it couldn't have been that bad, so I'll go out and try it again.

By the way, I've found my new scent. Double Black.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    acceptfacts, I absolutely despise BK. It's very bland and poorly done, it smells like it should have spices, but somewhere along the lines, went flat.

Indie_Guy, I tried D&G Masculine, I didn't bother remembering it. However, since I didn't bother remembering it, it couldn't have been that bad, so I'll go out and try it again.

By the way, I've found my new scent. Double Black.
    double black is good....i like it.

the funny thing about that fragrance that has to do with me...i literally refused to even try it until maybe like 2 days ago, because i bought polo black and was so unimpressed by it...i just expected double black to be a more concentrated version of black, but its certainly not.....the fruit notes are very bright within the woody main frame.

I'm 19 and I also have scents that can be seen / smelled as "old".
    Well at least they are not marketed towards my age group...

Rive Gauche YSL
    Terre d'Hermes
    Solo Loewe

Btw I would love to have the samples you got...