Code of Conduct

Default Green, Blue, or Amber vials?

Well, I'm going to be buying many vials to decant my essential oils into at a 20% dilution rate. I know that the colored vials help protect against UV rays, but have been having a hard time finding any info if one color is particularly more effective than another. Does anyone know or have a preference?

Normally the green and blue vials are far more costly, but I've found a source where the green vials are on sale and are the same cost as the amber (this source however, doesn't have any blue vials.)

One more quick question. Is it worth the investment to get polyseal cone lined caps? I can't see why it wouldn't be. Unfortunately, these cheap green vials don't come with them and I haven't been able to find a separate source for polyseal cone caps that would fit a 5ml bottle.

Hmm.. I have a feeling I'm making this more difficult than I need to.

Default Re: Green, Blue, or Amber vials?

Much more difficult.

As long as you're not storing your ingredients in open sunlight - and why would you be? - it doesn't really matter what color you get. A little indirect sun isn't going to do any harm to the contents of a dark bottle, never mind indoor lighting.

I suspect all of mine have the polyseal caps (at least, the caps all have plastic cones inside, so I assume that's the same thing). They seem to do the job, and you don't have a little paper/plastic/foam gasket falling out of the lid after a while.

I'm sure you're right. I'm guessing it's better to go with the cheaper amber bottles and the polyseal caps as I'm thinking that a nicer, tighter, and more air-tight seal will do more to protect the oils than blocking them from the extremely limited amount of light they'll see.

Just out of curiosity though, is one color (much) more effective than another?

Polyseal caps are worth it - the cheap caps don't keep air out well enough.

Colored glass isn't important if you store them out of the light. See the website of Essential Oil University for more information.

I'm guessing the amber (Dark brown-ish, or like lighter?) Is better, as it stops more sunlight getting in. I'm just basing it on the fact that certain chemicals are stored in my school's chemistry labs, and they tend to be the more reactive ones ! (Potassium !)

I also agree amber bottles are better than lighter ones .. All my oils are in those of various sizes with polyseal caps .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

cobalt blue is apparently very good, but really, it makes no difference man

Several aromatherapy companies prefer to use Miron Violet glass. They claim Violet bottles are more effective than other coloured bottles but really I would just use the amber bottle stored away from light. Here is a link if you are interested:

http://www.idspackaging.com/packagin...upplier_2.html
    Last edited by orchid74; 21st March 2008 at 12:48 PM.

I had found out about that miron glass, but seeing as I was in need of about 200 bottles, I didn't figure the cost was worth the benefits. I ended up with a load of green vials I got for a great price.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I had found out about that miron glass, but seeing as I was in need of about 200 bottles, I didn't figure the cost was worth the benefits. I ended up with a load of green vials I got for a great price.

Glad you found your bottle of choice and for a great deal!