Code of Conduct

Default Etat Libre d'Orange

Did a search and noticed there has only been a thread about Putain des Palaces, so decided to start one for the house itself!

I've spent this week testing their scents and had a wonderful time! Even the ones I liked less or not at all were interesting in some way or other. Now that one of my all-time favourite houses, Comme des Garçons, has started to discontinue some of their wonderful older Series and launch two-scent "series" that are nothing much to write home about, it's great to see that there are still houses that make innovative stuff.

My favourites were Charogne - rich, warm, full-bodied, sensual, Jasmin et Cigarette innovative combination of notes (reminds me a bit of Gobin Daudé Biche dans l'Absinthe), Sécrétions Magnifiques - starts off like iron + vitamin supplement, but turns into something rather fascinating, Antihéros - great-grandson of Caron Pour un Homme and Vierge et Toreros slightly off-putting "bloody" top notes, rich and warm drydown.

Also quite liked Rien - Bandit meets CdG Synthetic Series, Vraie Blonde does an interesting turn from trashy to classy, Encens et Bubble Gum - like the name says! Has a same kind of Fifties Starlet mood as FM Lipstick Rose, Putain des Palaces - very nice, powdery "traditional" and elegant and Divin'Enfant - orange flower that goes Gourmand and has a very animalic drydown.

The website: http://www.etatlibredorange.com/

Also a tip for those about to buy ELdO scent:
    here they cost only 44 € for 50 ml http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/ (they don't have the full line, though) as opposed to the official site, where the price is 55 €. http://www.lessenteurs.com/ is another good alternative, thanks to the strength of £ compared to €...
    Last edited by tigrushka; 10th January 2008 at 02:32 PM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: Etat Libre d'Orange

Cool! I also saw the line at a new Skins shop in Rotterdam last year.
    The thing that put me off really was the packaging.
    I went there fragrance sniffing with my two daughters 6 and 11, and you know, how do you explain, when my eldest came to me asking why erm.. a mans lightsaber (Secretion Magnifique)was drawn on the bottle.
    Lucky for me, she hasn't had French class yet.

Maybe I will go back next time to sample them quietly, and leave the kids at home.

Sounds like an artistic line in the true sense of the word though.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    The thing that put me off really was the packaging.
    I went there fragrance sniffing with my two daughters 6 and 11, and you know, how do you explain, when my eldest came to me asking why erm.. a mans lightsaber (Secretion Magnifique)was drawn on the bottle.
    Lucky for me, she hasn't had French class yet.

Maybe I will go back next time to sample them quietly, and leave the kids at home.
    I agree that the names and images are pretty juvenile (but I can't help liking the playful naughty schoolboy attitude behind them). Whatever one thinks about them, the scents themselves are definitely worth trying!

Some scents are very experimental like Sécrétions Magnifiques, but some quite traditional: for example Antoine Maisondieu's two men's scents, Antihéros and Eloge du Traître remind me of Caron's Pour un Homme and Yatagan.

Would love to read more views and opinions, so if you have tried and/or own their scents, please share your thoughts!

Thanks for your descriptions! I was not terribly eager to try this line because of the gimmickry of the titles and artwork, but the two I've tried so far have impressed me. Putain des Palaces is a nice powdery-ambery rose--a bit much for me, but it has a rice powder note that I found unique. Jasmin et Cigarette is a wonderful blend of jasmine, hay, and tobacco that is almost edible--reminds me of banana bread actually. I've found this one really addictive; it's a warm and happy scent.

I believe these are $65 for 50mL in the U.S., which makes them more affordable than most other niche fragrance lines. I've heard mixed reviews on the line as a whole, but I'd like to try others eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
    I was not terribly eager to try this line because of the gimmickry of the titles and artwork, but the two I've tried so far have impressed me.

I believe these are $65 for 50mL in the U.S., which makes them more affordable than most other niche fragrance lines. I've heard mixed reviews on the line as a whole, but I'd like to try others eventually.
    I was also afraid that the line was more about naughty names than quality scents, but I'm happy I gave them a chance. And yes, they are also great value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by sucrose View Post

Where are you finding the line in the US? I have been wanting to try Jasmine et Cigarette, myself.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Where are you finding the line in the US? I have been wanting to try Jasmine et Cigarette, myself.
    They are sold at Henri Bendel in New York (I think you have to call to order). For samples, The Perfumed Court might be the best place -- I got my samples in swaps.

Ah, thank you; it's not on their (HB) web site, but I do remember reading that they were going to stock it.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I have only tested Rossy de Palma in ELdO line. It is very strong and straightforward. I love it
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

I know this is OT, but Tigrushka, what scents of CdG are being discontinued :O?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I know this is OT, but Tigrushka, what scents of CdG are being discontinued :O?
    The Leaves Series 1: Calamus, Lily, Mint, Shiso, Tea
    The Sweet Series 7: BurntSugar, Nomadtea, SpicyCocoa, StickyCake, WoodCoffee

Default Help with Etat Libre d'Orange

Which scents from Etat Libre d'Orange should I sample?
    I think I'm ordering a sample pack from TPC this weekend and want to check these out. I definitely want to try Putain, but what else?
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Default Re: Help with Etat Libre d'Orange

Jasmin & Cigarette

My opinion will not be popular, I am afraid: Do we really need more than one thread about exact same thing here just seven or eight threads apart? About the fragrances that are just average.....

Probs not....here's a link to the other thread.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...highlight=etat

A few thoughts about the ones I sampled up to now:

Jasmin et Cigarettes - yes, the pairing is rather innovative and well done. To my nose, the jasmine note is very fruity, its fabled banana jam qualities come really to the fore. I don't get any ashtray or stale cigarette smoke in there, rather a hay note, as somebody else mentioned already. However, I already own my jasmines of choice (Mona di Orio's Carnation and SL Sarrasins) thus Jasmine et Cigarettes won't find a place in my collection.

Rien - I did find this the most interesting from the vial, but on my skin it gave off a loud , obnoxious camphoraceous note that wouldn't go away.

Putain des Palaces - a misnamed ELDO, in my opinion. Wearable, classy, feminine, with a floral heart that is full-bodied but not overpowering or loud. I don't know whether it is the effect of the ginger and leather notes singing together, but I get a fresh blond tobacco leaves note that pleases my nose immensely. I acquired a big decant and toyed with a FB purchase for some time.

I didn't sample Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection but bought it blind on a whim. I was lucky because I love it. A dark red rose scent that manages to be bright and deep at the same time. I adore the ginger and pepper notes in it and the drydown is wonderful.

I am awaiting samples of Delicious Closet Queen and Vierges et Toreros and, after tig's description, I long to sample Charogne!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    The Leaves Series 1: Calamus, Lily, Mint, Shiso, Tea
    The Sweet Series 7: BurntSugar, Nomadtea, SpicyCocoa, StickyCake, WoodCoffee
    Calamus is nice in the leaves series, didn't care for any of the sweet series, suppose it's understandable :P
    S'long as they don't discontinue the synthetics series and the cologne series and the incense series, along with sequoia from the red series, i'm a happy man

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Jasmin et Cigarettes - yes, the pairing is rather innovative and well done. To my nose, the jasmine note is very fruity, its fabled banana jam qualities come really to the fore. I don't get any ashtray or stale cigarette smoke in there, rather a hay note, as somebody else mentioned already. However, I already own my jasmines of choice (Mona di Orio's Carnation and SL Sarrasins) thus Jasmine et Cigarettes won't find a place in my collection.
    I found the hay note very dominant, too, almost stronger than the tobacco.

The only jasmine scent I have so far is A la Nuit, and JeC is very different from it, so I might be tempted...

I didn't sample Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection but bought it blind on a whim. I was lucky because I love it. A dark red rose scent that manages to be bright and deep at the same time. I adore the ginger and pepper notes in it and the drydown is wonderful.
    I must give this one another try, I mostly got pure 100% Bulgarian rose oil from it. Beautiful, yes, but I expected something else, too.

I am awaiting samples of Delicious Closet Queen and Vierges et Toreros and, after tig's description, I long to sample Charogne!
    Charogne was for me the biggest "WOW!" of the bunch, am really looking forward to reading others' comments about it.

I'll merge...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    My opinion will not be popular, I am afraid: Do we really need more than one thread about exact same thing here just seven or eight threads apart? About the fragrances that are just average.....
    One thread for one topic is sufficient, yes, but are the scents average or not is beside the point, isn't it?
    Last edited by tigrushka; 11th January 2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post

I must give this one another try, I mostly got pure 100% Bulgarian rose oil from it. Beautiful, yes, but I expected something else, too.

Yes, please! May I suggest to spray it? I believe it gives it best then, displaying fully all its notes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Sorry - didn't realize the other thread was discussing the house's fragrances. I thought it was about purchasing.

And since I haven't sampled them yet, I have no way of knowing whether or not they're average.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

I gave Charogne a full wear yesterday and am so smitten with it that I ordered a bottle. I'm wearing it today, too, and wishing the sample will last until the parcel arrives...

If you love smooth, soft, sweet but very animalic scents, give this one a try.

I got samples from this house when it was first announced last year (LOVED the "let's shock the 'rents" approach) and fell in love with Putain.

The others didn't register but because of this thread have ordered:

Charogne
    Eloge du Traitre
    Jasmin et Cigarettes
    Rossy de Palma
    Vrai Blonde
    Delicious Closet Queen

from our friends at the PC and will report. Putain is still on my FB list.....
    "When the heart is right, "for" and "against" are forgotten." Chuang Tzu
    My 'Drobe: Here

The authentic me Here

So great to hear wonderful things about Rossy de Palma's Protection! I've been meaning to try it for a while, and now I think I will. She's a celebrity whose fragrance I wouldn't mind buying.

Playing around with ELdO's.....so far loving Jasmine and Cigarettes (starts out like an ashtray and ends up in the gentlest of jasmines with a tobacco - not ashy ashytray - undertone. Very disco in the original sense of the word and scene (dark little boite in Paris - scratchy music from a phonograph - Gauloises abound) and Delicious Closet Queen - violets and Iris and roses, some cedary thing over smooth leather. Soignee....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

The names are a bit ho hum (and the pictures on the website!). Seems Les Senteurs is just starting to stock this line so I will check it out.

Continuing with Rossy de Palma (more Picasso than Paloma!!)...first whiff was licorice-y...followed by an echo of church to which I am accompanied by a woman wearing veils of patchouli and in the church there are bunches of heavy lidded roses....all swirling....an a couple of hours later it's still evolving....

On the other arm, Vraie Blonde...quick blast of aldehydes that mellowed into peachy roses and a hint of myrrh. Soft and cuddly - Marilyn being kittenish and not vampy.

My take on this line is that if I had the money (and the closet space) I'd invest......
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I only tested a few of this brand: Charogne, Putain des palaces and Rossy de Palma.

Charogne smelled weird on me, I had mixed feelings about the putain (and my husband hated it).
    But I fell in love (hard) with Rossy de Palma. Totally unexpected, because I am usually not a rose lover. Or maybe most roses don't love me LOL. Anyway, this one is special and I am glad I have a bottle now!

I must admit that the names of the fragrances put me off them quite a bit (there's no need to be shocking nowadays, not in this way). I tried Noel au Balcon (or something like that), which was just like Christmas pudding or gingerbread, and also Divin Enfant, a powdery fragrance with orange blossom. It was OK, but nothing to write home about. I guess I have to ask for a whole collection of their samples. Do you think it's worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    ... Do you think it's worth it?
    It was to me. I found three so far that have made it to my "lust list"!!

But really, only you can make that determination. Let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    I guess I have to ask for a whole collection of their samples. Do you think it's worth it?
    I did and am happy I did, so I think it's worth it. But that's just me.

Antihéros, Charogne, Encens et Bubblegum, Jasmin et Cigarette, Rien, Sécrétions Magnifiques, Vierges et Toreros were the ones that impressed me most.

I like the way Vraie Blonde metamorphoses and the basenotes of it, but the top note stage is too much to bear, and Putain des Palaces is nice and powdery but didn't quite grab me.

how is the lasting power and sillage in jasmin et cigarettes? i read the reviews here, but they are quite ambigous... :-) i am looking for something rather powerfull and long lastin... jasmin et cigarettes probably won´t be what i am looking for, right? :-) thought i read i agreat review in a magazin from that ny times perfumes reviewer... don´t remember his name...

I've become a fan of this line after visiting the shop in Paris, just last week. At first I thought it was a lot of schtick, but then I wrote an e-mail to the general Etat Libre online address to ask a question, and to my surprise, president of the company Etienne de Swardt replied personally and invited me to meet with him.

We chatted in the shop on rue des Archives, upstairs, over a coffee and a table full of scents and scent strips.

Etienne is charming in every way, and passionate about his perfumes and about finding quality ingredients. I was able to try out two versions of s new scent in development, and I also tested many of the ingredients he uses and plans to use in the future, including a sweet, gorgeous benzoin.

At one point he passed around a jar containing a chunk of ambergris he recently acquired.

I didn't take a single photo inside and regretted it after I left, but the conversation was so stimulating I never even thought about it at the time.

As for the fragrances:

FXF I think this is the Chandler Burr review you were trying to remember: http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2008/...Name=24cscent&

I haven't reid Jsmin et cigarette on my skin, but most of the scnets from this line are long lasting. I find it interesting , but not what I want to wear (smells just like fresh jasmine and a cigarette-- as in ashes, not tobacco) . I did spray it on the pages of a book (part of a gift) and the pages smelled like jasmine and an ashtray for a long, long time.

• I think it is worth buying the whole sample pack, knowing several will be more "concept" scents" than everyday wearables(think Secretions magnifiques , discussed ina nother thead recently--or the new Fat Electrician)

• I love Eloge du traitre and Tom of Finland on men. The dry down of Tom of Finland is a fresh vetiver mitigated by vanilla so that it never gets mean

• Antheros great , if you want a very fresh, true lavender.

•*Like many others, I like Rien, Putain des palaces, and Charogne (Charogne is hat got me involved in th first place becaseu I was doing research on the poem of the same name, 'Une Charogne.")

Last edited by Nostalgie; 4th April 2009 at 11:50 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I bought putain in london and wore it today layed a bit with bvlgarui black to amp up the leather?dark smokyness of it and received compliments at work. I really like putain and rien but rien is a bit too much of an artistic perfume to wear casually at work for me.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I recently ordered samples of Bendelirious, Tom of Finland and Fat Electrician from Les Senteurs, and started my testing spree with Bendelirious today.

The opening was a burst of grapefruit, then I got cherry candy, and now this reminds me very much of SL Daim Blond with its smooth leather and powdery iris notes.

Tried some of these yesterday for the first time:

Jasmin et Cigarette = jasmine and ashtray. The ashtray impression is so strong that I need to try again to see if I can flip my mind to smelling hay. (Have a sample, so will get the opportunity)

Encens et Bubblegum = fun so far; have a sample to try & will report back...

Vraie Blonde = sweaty, sharp opening put me off. Smells like a blond armpit or crotch. I guess that's what they were going for?

Didn't get a proper sniff of Rossy de Palma, but it seemed intriguing enough to try again.

Really liked Putain, which surprised me because I'm not a rose girl (but haven't tried it on skin yet, so my opinion could change) and Charome (ditto). Will need to spend more time with this line.

I'm too chicken to smell Secretions yet!
    Last edited by Nukapai; 13th June 2009 at 11:04 AM.

Wow, I must say I like Bendelirious a lot! On one hand it's very sophisticated with its smooth leather & iris combo, but on the other the tart cherry note gives it a nice tongue-in-cheek touch. Like my other faves of the house Encens et Bubblegum and Jasmin et Cigarette it playfully combines opposite elements and makes them work wonderfully together. Hub gave a thumbs-up, too. This one goes to my wishlist.

After sauna will change into either Tom of Finland or Fat Electrician.

Anyone know of anywhere in London that stocks these? Not come across them yet but am curious to try.

Quote Originally Posted by stellastar View Post
    Anyone know of anywhere in London that stocks these? Not come across them yet but am curious to try.
    See the 2 days of Perfume Heaven thread

Also, Harvey Nichols.

Quote Originally Posted by stellastar View Post
    Les Senteurs http://shop.lessenteurs.com/category..._Libre_dOrange

I want to chime in here.
    I've only recently started exploring the line and while I can chuckle at the imagery I really think they do themselves a disservice with it. These are pretty high quality scents at a decent price swathed in juvenile marketing campaigns. I wish they'd lose one of those qualities.
    So far I've tried:

Rossy de Palma--My 2nd favorite of the line so far a different take on rose.
    Vierges Et Toreros--This has one of the rawest leather accords I've come across. It really does conjure up the bull.
    Divin' Enfant--- an overall sweet perfume but one that I found really wearable because the sweet was balanced with some coffee, and leather.
    Noel au Balcon--This was a limited release for the holidays in 2007 and I'm not sure if it is available in sotres although Perfumed Court still has some. This is my favorite of the line so far. It is a beautiful turn of honey, spice and musk. I think this could've been a big winner for these guys with wider distribution.

I've tried but haven't worn:
    Tom of Finland--I think I'm going to like this one a lot as it has some of the offbeat notes I like but done well.
    Charogne--great floral leather composition that I also expect to like.
    Jasmine et cigarettes---flowers over an ashtray. I don't want to wear it but it does speak the truth in its name.
    Secretions Magnifique- Can't bring myself to put this on my skin. On the strip it smells like dried vomit to me.

My co-worker is in France this weekend and is hopefully returning with a bottle of Fat Electrician for me.
    I am also interested in trying:
    Rien, Eloge du Traitre, Encens et Bubblegum, and Vraie Blond.

If you haven't tried this line yet I'd say to give it a try. I think there are some really nice surprises in here. Overall many more hits than misses for me and the misses seem to be intentional by using ashtray and vomit accords. When they seem to put their mind to making a top-notch scent they can make something quite nice.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

LuckyScent carries the whole line now including Noel au Balcon. I wished I had read this thread before, because I believe they were offering a sample pack for all the line, the same way they did with Le Labo, but I don't see it at the website anymore.
    Evenstar

Testing Tom of Finland, very clean and green leather scent with a surprisingly soft and sweet drydown. I find this scent very sleek and polished, a bit too polished to my taste. It's nice but leaves me cold.

Next one will be Fat Electrician, might change into it later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Noel au Balcon--This was a limited release for the holidays in 2007 and I'm not sure if it is available in sotres although Perfumed Court still has some. This is my favorite of the line so far. It is a beautiful turn of honey, spice and musk. I think this could've been a big winner for these guys with wider distribution.
    That one sounds lovely, it's a shame it's so impossible to find.

I found the immediate top notes of Fat Electrician off-putting, but it soon settled down into an interesting cool metallic vetiver, and I like the cold vanilla drydown, which reminds me more of well-chilled vanilla vodka than ice cream. Hub liked this one, too, and surprisingly preferred it to Bendelirious. Another addition to my wishlist...