Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Cinnabar parfum version

Shannon (shadesofbleu) was kind enough to send me some Cinnabar (Eau de Parfum...I think) to play around with, since I got lots of recommendations on my Cinnamon thread on the mens board, and one of them was Cinnabar (and it's brother scent: J.H.L.)

I tried it and found some particular aldehyde a little annoying to my nose (almost oily) - although the drydown I find slightly comforting. Maybe I was expecting more spice? Anyway, I tried it and moved on to try JHL (I have a sample untouched in my wardrobe).

I rarely see the parfum on the Estee Lauder counters (well, except around the holidays) so I have never smelled it. However, I just read a blog online that commented the Cinnabar Parfum is an alotogether different scent - much more rich and spicy, perhaps gentler. Does anyone agree / disagree?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th January 2008 at 02:15 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Cinnabar parfum version

Hey Mike!

You know I sampled Cinnabar in the store a couple of weeks ago. It has been so long since I've smelled it. I don't know what they did to my precious Cinnabar, but whatever it was I smelled didn't smell anything like what I remember. Did they change it? Now, it smells like Youth Dew mixed with cinnamon or nutmeg. The dry down was awful on me. I was so upset because I had planned on getting a bottle for old time sake. I may have to give it another shot. The dry down on me use to be soooo amazing. It turned sweet and spicy on me. I could always smell it through out the day. It would last forever. I don't think I've smelled JHL.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I've never even seen Cinnabar parfum, although I'm sure it exists- somewhere.

A kind perfume-angel sent me a small decant of Cinnabar, although I'm not sure of the concentration. I had tried it long ago and found the dryout "difficult" on my chemistry so had dismissed it. With this decant though, I find myself really enjoying it. I tried it side, by side with Opium and found I liked Cinnabar better. It's spicy/dry in the final stages and I find I prefer it to Opium's sweeter dryout.

Now, I have heard that Cinnabar has been reformulated, so have been reluctant to get a bottle of my own.

Good luck finding the parfum. I would certainly like to try that too.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Hi, I had Cinnabar pure parfum, very spicy Opium or maybe Youth Dew-like and very hard to wear like all old EL scents. Just a tinny drop is enough for all day long. I used to wear it for night. To my opinion, closest comparison to Youth Dew pure parfum.

Hope it helped

I'm not sure, but I think my grandmother used to buy the Cinnabar in solid perfume form back in the late Seventies or early Eighties.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]