Code of Conduct

Thread: Burning Wood

Default Burning Wood

I was out the other night on a stroll.... and I got the a wonderful nose-full of fireplace wood burning.. as I walked through a residential area. The whole burning wood scent is something that I've always found very comforting and amazingly sensual but I have yet to find a fragrance that really encapsulates the 'feeling'.... I've sampled woodsy scents.. from Azzaro's Visit to Cedar beasts like CDG2Man/Bois du Portugal... but I wonder what fragrance might be the most accurate burning wood scent on the market... at times I've felt that M7 comes pretty close to that smouldering woodsy/ashy perfection... unfortunately, it's sweetness keeps it from being entirely satisfying in this respect.

Any suggestions?

Anthony

Default Re: Burning Wood

Black Aoud, Greyland has a bit of fire in it too, more like ashes though.

The most accurate burning wood scent I have ever experienced is not a personal fragrance, but Diptyque's Feu de Bois which comes as a candle or room fragrance.
    Last edited by fool; 11th January 2008 at 02:52 AM.

Let me be the first to mention...Annick Goutal's Eau du Fier. It is still available at the Swiss Goutal Boutique and it is 100% fireplace smell. I can't tell you how many people have commented that when I wear it, I smell like I have standing near a fire and my clothes are permeated with wood smoke! I own Black Aoud and Greyland and they are nothing like Eau du Fier. It is burning wood in a bottle.

Off-Scenter

CB I Hate Perfume Burning Leaves. Also Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories (with some barbecue thrown in, too.) Eau de Fier does work, but it's the devil to get ahold of if you're in North America.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 11th January 2008 at 09:00 PM.

The smoky oud in Agallocha Muthhela Homme and Montale Oud pur Oriental are two best I have worn to date.

For plenty of smoke and wood, Profumum Fumidus and Le Labo Patchouli 24. The former being my personal favorite.

Tauer's Lonestar Memories has a powerful campfire vibe.

Although not quite woody, CBIHP Burning Leaves might be worth testing just for comparison.

I'm surprised nobody has said Gucci PH yet...that stuff smells 75% like smoldering campfire, 15% like dry firewood, and 10% like pepper. And those are exact figures.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Olivier Durbano, Tourmaline Noire

espionage by Ayala is wonderful, smells like burning hickory and gunpowder!

You're looking for MPG's Eau de Isles.

Thumbs up Re: Burning Wood

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has said Gucci PH yet...
    I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Ava Luxe Firewood for sure! Spot-on!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Definitely: Norma Kamali Incense

Basenotes Institution

I agree with many of the recommendations above, especially Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume (water formula).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Gucci PH has that smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Ava Luxe Firewood for sure! Spot-on!
    This is what I was thinking.

Greyland (to some small extent -- maybe burning cedar and cumin burned simultaneously);
    Leonard pour Homme (burning autumn leaves mixed with wood and strong French soap); Black Cashmere (burning incense/wood).
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 11th January 2008 at 07:18 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

CB I Hate Perfume's Burning Leaves is similar to the smell of burning wood, nonetheless still yummy, despite not being extremely wearable.

chergui

From every fragrance i've smelled thus far, i would say Gucci pour homme most accurately depicts the smell of burning wood. If thats what you looking for give it a shot, personally i found it very thick and heavy.

I've always thought Z-14 had an apres-ski woodstove fire in the chalet bar feeling to it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Must add Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga to this list.

Chanel Sycomore.

It's a bonfire on the beach, in liquid form. (smoky, salty vetiver, NOT aquatic)

Wonderful.

Could sample some Demeter fragrances. Specific names escape me at the moment, but you can browse their site.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Olivier Durbano, Tourmaline Noire
    Definitely agree with this one! Black Tourmaline is my favorite burning wood scent. Whatever you do, DON'T go for Demeter Bonfire. It smells like roasting hot dogs.

Tom Ford Bois Rouge is one I definitely get a strong burning wood sensation from.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

I'll second Butthead 53's recommendation of MPG's Eau d' Iles. Smokey campfire with aroma of coffee beans.

Serge Luten's Serge Noir smells like "burned" wood, like a campfire that just went out, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

The closest I ever got to the burning wood note is the first minutes of the discontinued Fransesco Smalto pour Homme. Pure chimney.

Another for Gucci PH. I love this stuff. The balance of pine smoke and incense is wonderful.

There can be only one: Sonoma Scent Studio's Fireside. Smells like a campfire. Great juice.
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com

if you want to the smell of something burning: Le Labo Patchouli 24

which i think is disgusting by the way and tried in vain to scrub it off an hour later

No no, you are all wrong here!

The only one to truely capture this smell is Diptyque's room spray with John Galliano's
    signature on it. That and some iris in between the smokey fumes... :toppie:

PS. The Tom Ford Bois Rouge is a good tip too, even though I feel it smells more of the
    sulfur on match sticks than actual burning wood.
    Last edited by shifts; 11th February 2009 at 05:45 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    The only one to truely capture this smell is Diptyque's room spray with John Galliano's
    signature on it.
    I know what you mean shifts (BTW - nice to see you on the boards!!)

When I was in Finland last summer on vacation, they were burning birch wood in camp fires and the smell smelled just like Essence of John Galliano by Diptyque. So much so, that it was difficult to wear the scent when I returned from vacation, because every time I smell it on my skin now I think 'camp fire'! Which isn't a problem, since then I just use it as a room spray - which is how it's intended to be used anyway.

Fumerie Turque smells the most like burning wood to me...specifically campfire.

And I'll 3rd the suggestion for Burning Leaves.

How about Annick Goutal - Encens Flamboyant? I thought this smelled very smoky and woody. I also second Feu de Bois, but I would blend it with something else, its too barren and ashy.