Code of Conduct

Default Are you "retiring" any fragrances from your collection?

"Retiring", "time out", and "firing" were some words used in a thread on the men's side and it sums up perfectly what I have been going through with my collection. So, I want to know about you!

Are there any scents that are currently in "time out"?
    For me: Costes and Iles d' Or.

Any that you are thinking of retiring?
    Caleche and Caleche Eau Delicate.

Any that you have fired recently?
    Fired many several months ago, but not recently.

Any changes to your collection?

Default Re: Are you "retiring" any fragrances from your collection?

I'm making my collection smaller. So far I've sold 7 and I've swapped 3. It feels good!

Blog Entries

Good question.

Actually I'm not retiring any - am in expansion phase
    Perhaps one day I'll be ready to let go of some of my pretties (I feel like Golum) but not yet
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Joy is gathering dust. I like it in the bottle, I like it on other people, I do not like it on me. I keep hoping this will change, but every time I try to wear Joy, I smell like a funeral. Florals don't like me.

The other fragrance in a time-out is Youth Dew. I love, love, love Youth Dew when it is very faintly applied, but I have probems spraying that perfect "just enough" spray. A regular sized spritz of Youth Dew sends me staight to to sink for a good scrubbing, so I just end up avoiding it altogether.
    “Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.”--Dorothy Parker

Yes, I'm time-outing on anything sweeter, gourmand, heavy ambers and orientals - I've got that post-Christmas 'one too many mincepies' feeling about these sorts of frags at the moment. Currently resting Shalimar, Loukhoum, Imperial Opoponax, Coco, Hypnotic Poison, Helmut Lang, Ambre Narguile.

I'm enjoying sampling in a lighter, brighter and occassionally more austere direction - looking for more chypres and florals.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Love the language play. Actually, I'm more of a mind to promote. There are a few individuals I've employed for years now and whose value has become even more obvious over time. [Guerlain With Love, look for a bonus in your paycheck this week.]
    My FRD (Fragrance Resources Department) will be interviewing some new applicants from The Perfumed Court courtesy of charming Tang and samples from DeeOlive , so we'll see if there are any other changes in staff forthcoming.
    Last edited by Quarry; 11th January 2008 at 05:45 PM.

Knize Ten

I love the stuff, but for some reason, I've barely used it since I bought a bottle. I'm hesitating about whether to make a little decant for myself and trade it off or not.

Yes, I am "retiring" Samsara. It just didn't work out.

I have also replaced Coco Mademoiselle (which I liked this past year) with Chanel No 5 - my incredible post-Christmas discovery. After having owned No 5 for a couple of weeks and loving it so much...I smelled Mademoiselle today and I found it so ... frilly, trendy and candy, I just can't believe I thought so highly of it last year. I still think it is a pleasent perfume, better than many other moderns, but compared to No 5, it is little, frilly and insignificant.

Right now my florals are on time-out (Kai, Fantasia de Fleurs, Blonde, Mahora, Margaretha Ley) in favor of oriental/vanilla scents.
    Very shortly the Gardenia/Tuberose bug will bite me just like it does every March and my orientals will go on time-out.

I'm not brave enough to retire any of mine, but I hardly ever wear Amarige, Beautiful and White Linen. They seem to be perfumes 'of their time' and their time has passed. I do occasionally wear them 'for old times' sake', but then all they do is remind me of where I was when I wore them regularly - and that wasn't always a good place.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

After purchasing a new bottle, I'm putting Crown Perfumery Marechale 90 (not Original) up for adoption. I liked the confidence and warmth but it has a little too much rose for me. I got over my rose phase years ago and am not ready to revisit it. I suppose I should go to the other board, but if anyone's interested, just shoot me an email.
    --------------------------------------
    Oh, and Youth Dew is out forever. I was cleaning out a closet and found a new bottle of the perfume. It found a new home quickly.
    Last edited by Merbert; 11th January 2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I am going to be selling/swapping two recent purchases in favor of scents I found I like better. Am "retiring" Missoni Acqua and Délices de Cartier Eau Fruitée.

lally
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

I need to retire and ultimately "fire" quite a few bottles and hoping to pare down the bottle collection to just the loves. But I'm too short on time to do this properly... this is the excuse, but in reality, I have trouble letting go.

I must take inspiration from our dear Kyra and Tinks, who each did a wonderful job of paring down.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I've been feeling overwhelmed by my collection for some time, and not getting enjoyment from it like I should, so I have put most of my fragrances on a time out. I only have a couple out at the moment, which I'm layering together, so I guess that counts as just one scent. But the rest of them are within easy reach in case I want to look at them or wear them in the evening.

Currently my seasonal Armani Mania is in time out until Winter comes again. It may possibly get another year of being my winter scent. Guess? Woman and Thierry Mugler Violette Angel are also on a time out.

Giorgio Beverly Hills Red and Hugo Boss Deep Red are in retirement. They're just too much for me, and have been for a long time now. I don't know if I will ever enjoy them again. I wonder if I have something against fragrances with "red" in the name?

My bottle of Versace Blonde is gathering dust and I am "out of love"
    with Cinema (it bores me!)

Well since I'm new to discovering fragrances I don't have much to write.

I wore Vanilla Fields to death in the early 90's, hadn't smelled it for years, tested it and wow....at first I thought they had reformulated it since I smelled jasmine....but then it died down and had the remembered smell. I can't put my nose on it but there is a note in it that makes it not pleasant to smell anymore....not horrible...just not something I would wear again. It' not the vanilla....just something...maybe my skin has changed over the years or my nose....(lol)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.
    Carl Jung
    Swiss psychologist (1875 - 1961)

Great question, yes, I retired my 20-year-old bottle of Bijan (gave it to a friend), sold my Guerlain Foliflora (lovely, but way too floral for me), Kenzo Flower, and Lalique Claire Nilang (again, very nice, great bottle, way too floral), and Kai, and YR Gardenia and Rose, LV Dilmun. I just realized that no matter how I try, only a few florals suit me, mainly lavender (which is sort of an anti-floral), osmanthus, and champaca. That's it, the others are just overpowering and turn into Carnivorous Audreys on me. Even the lovely rose....

I will be retiring Chantecaille Frangipane soon. I've gone through 2 FB over the course of 6 years and it just doesn't smell good on me any more. Maybe it is my chemistry or maybe the weather. I will put it away and see if it will work next fall.

I dumped Vent Vert. I really tried to love it, but Balmain just doesn't agree with me.
    Fracas is laid off, but not wholly retired.
    Last edited by bernat; 13th January 2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

I love to get rid of them and do so with increasing consistency.

Not me! If I forced them into retirement I would only have to hire them back as overpriced consultants!

My fragrances are like pets.

My summer frags are in a box until April/May, when it warms up and I feel like marine, citrus and fig notes. (Un Jardin en Meditarannee, Tesco's Fig, Aqua Allegoria Pampelune, Kenzo L'Eau etc) My frangipanis are in there too - Mahora and Hei Poa - and my decant of Virgin Island Water. They'll keep until summer.
    Right now I want those warm, rich fragrances that make me feel over-stuffed and over-heated in the summertime: incense, vanilla, amber, woods, resins and rich flowers.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I think I've found a home for Bandit. I loved the idea of her but we just didn't get along.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I think I've found a home for Bandit. I loved the idea of her but we just didn't get along.
    So, does that mean she's retired, or will Bandit be transferred to another holding facility for the duration of her incarceration? :bounce:Sorry, too much caffeine to hold back the silliness.

Not retired, but fired!

I have cleared out about a dozon bottles of BPAL to make way for more Guerlains and Serge Lutens.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

i think i need to get rid of my cashmire mist and Angel.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

I have finally decided to disappear all of my L'artisan fragrances, with the exception of Passage d'enfer; all of my Guerlain limited editions, Secret Intention, Purple Fantasy etc...; Poupee by Rochas; Les eaux (all) by Caron; All of my Dior limited editions, Chris 1947, Lily, etc...
    I do not think I ever cared for any of these scents, I just kept them to maintain "complete" collections of the different fragrance houses I love. Unfortunately it has just become depressing, if you smell a vintage bottle of Femme, and compare it with Poupee, well it is like watching the fall of a royal family.
    I really have to stop trying to "complete" collections, I do not even like 99% of the modern fragrance offerings.
    My mother always said I would have been perfect if I had been living in the late 1940's early 1950's; I would have been wearing Dior dresses, and doused myself in Bandit, Miss Dior, Jolie Madame, or Cabochard. I would have loved those times, and smelt glorious.

Blog Entries

I'm opening up a retirement home for elderly frags :wave:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    Not me! If I forced them into retirement I would only have to hire them back as overpriced consultants!

My fragrances are like pets.
    ROFL Zibeline - I hear ya!
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 14th January 2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya