Code of Conduct

Question need advice - wanting a make a change to a "niche" gourmand/musk fragrance

Hi there. I must confess I am a lurker, but a devout one at least!

I have always preferred gourmand, not-so-popular scents like Samsara, Addict, etc. When my bottle of Addict was depleted I felt like I wanted to make a change. So I delayed purchasing any designer fragrances and used simple one-note stuff like Body Shop.

In early December I received a sample of SJP's Lovely Body Butter and it remined me of how much I loved Bonnie Bell's Skin Musk back when it had some significant sillage and staying power. Unfortunately, SJP didn't have much staying power on me either - not even the Liquid Satin I sampled.

I really want to make a change from gourmand frags to something with more skin musk in it - but I want to keep notes of vanilla too. I heard that SJP Lovely owes much of its lineage to Narcisco Rodriguez for Her, and I am now considering it as my bridge to a skin-musk-with-gourmand that also has staying power (and is more sophisticated than Bonnie Bell I have read the reviews and posts here re: the EDT vs the EDP, but I would like to contextualize the comparison question with my preference for a skin musk with a warm vanilla note.

So, the questions are:
    **is Narciso Rodriguez a suitable selection for what would like (or should I be looking for Givenchy Indecence or Pi)?
    **if NR is a good choise, which version should I choose, the EDT or the EDP?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the experience of everyone here.
    Last edited by cmartin1; 11th January 2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: need advice - wanting a make a change to a "niche" gourmand/musk fragrance

Helmut Lang is very similar to BB skin musk.

Default Re: need advice - wanting a make a change to a "niche" gourmand/musk fragrance

Have you tried Jovan Musk Oil? It has a vanilla/chocolate type of note with warm musk. This stuff smells way more expensive then it is, in my opinion.

Forgot to say that SJP lasts longer than you might think. I quickly loose the smell of this one, but it is there, believe me.
    Last edited by ScentSerenade; 11th January 2008 at 09:42 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

:wave: Welcome, devout lurker! :wave:

I recommend you "try before you buy." I see that Scent Monkey offers samples of NR in both edt and edp:
    http://www.scentmonkey.com/try-before-buy.php

Lea St. Barth might be to your liking (vanilla, musk, almond). A sample can be had from Lucky Scent for $3 (although I see it's back ordered according to their site).

Don't buy a bottle of anything too soon. Sampling is like dating--better not to get tied down before you've had your crazy fun.

Musc Samarkand by Les Nereides is a lovely white musk with a little vanilla. It does draw comparisions with the Body Shop White musk, but is much rounder, softer and smoother than TBS.

Creative Sentualization - Perfect Veil is feather light skin musk and vanilla - very sweet, pretty and clean.

I also second the Helmut Lang suggestion - now discontinued I believe, but available online. There is a slightly odd, sharp note in the beginning stages, but once you get past that you have a very nice powdery musk/vanilla dry down with quite a degree of staying power.

Other musk recommendations include Serge Luten's Clair de Musc (the musk to end all musks in my view) and Il Profvmo Musc Bleu - both well worth sampling.

NR for Her is indeed a beautiful fragrance, but I get more roses and musk from it rather than anything too gourmand. I prefer the edt after sampling both side by side.

Reading your post, some other scents come to mind for you to try, but you may not thank me....

L'Artisan Mure et Musc is a light musk with black currant. During the seventies when I was a teen, I wore musk (not sure if it was Bonne Belle, but I loved their lipsmackers) and this fragrance has come closest to jogging my musk memories from that time.

Plus Que Jamais is my all time favorite gourmand, as it manages to be elegant and classy and comforting at the same time. Very Pricey.

Musc Ravageur, sweet, ambery, not as much musk to my nose, but especially if you are looking for a "vanilla laced musk, " maybe that might intrigue you.
    another pricy one.

My apologies to your bank account in advance.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Musc Ravageur is wonderful, if you like spices and orange. I adore this.
    Also, if you can get some, Ava Luxe has a few, and a lot of us here like Love's True Bluish Light (vanilla/amber/musk). It's gorgeous. Sweet, but not childish. (Apparently she is resuming business again soon, which is great news).

The Body Shop White Musk.
    Very close to that light, skin scent that you crave.
    Much less complex than most of the others mentioned--no dominant spices or florals.
    Inexpensive, too.

Thank you everyone for all of the great advice! I neglected to get myself a christmas present this year so I see quite a bit of potential here. Thanks a bunch!

Let me just add Parfumerie Generale Musc Maori. It's a sweet gourmand musk, somewhere in the middle between Lea (I prefer the Extreme version) and the Malle.

I think NR EDT (haven't tried the musc oil) may be too dry.

My suggestion isn't niche, but seems like something you might like - No 5 Sensual Elixir. I immediately noticed to emphasis on a warm vanilla base in this version of No 5.
    Last edited by leffleur; 16th January 2008 at 11:54 PM.

Les Neriedes has Musc De Java- blackcurrent, musk, fresh cut hay & berries