Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I'm down on Lorenzo Villoresi's stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    All the Villoresi scents have something in common - a similar development and basenote that uses similar herbs and ending notes. I sometimes get bored by how safe and how completely blended their fragrances are. Maybe its harder to build a fragrance that is as well rounded as Villoresi is - but its not quite as interesting as those fragrances that risk more in their design. Most Villoresi fragrances suffer from overblending or trying to do too much. I still do like Vetiver and Uomo greatly, but have lost intrest in Yerbamate and Piper Nigrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGA View Post
    At the hay days of my LV fanatism I had full bottles of PN, Vetiver, Incensi and Yerbamate and decants of Sandalo, Patchouli, Alamut and Wild Lavender. I was so fascinated by their originality and naturality and regarded them as one of the purest and finest fragrances on earth.

As the time went by I realized that I hardly ever use those precious scents of mine except for Alamut and Yerba. Eventually I had to admit myself that I like the concept of these fragrances more than the actual scents and nowadays I share the same so-what feeling for almost all of them and I truly like Yerbamate only.

Regards,
    -T-
    These two quotes sum up Lorenzo Villoresi for me. I've often read that the creations by Serge Lutens would be better served as room fragrances rather than perfumes, and I've often disagreed thinking, "Just wait until you try the creations by Lorenzo Villoresi."

I find them unnecessarily coarse instead of smooth, too blunt instead of refined, firing on all cylinders far too quickly rather than developing at a leisurely pace, revealing their facets and nuances far too readily instead of remaining somewhat enigmatic...

Whenever I try a Lorenzo Villoresi, they either repel me or leave me cold. And as much as I want to love at least one of them they seem, very much like Italian women, too much bloody hard work - by the time they’ve warmed up to me, I’ve long thrown in the towel…
    Last edited by Trebor; 28th April 2008 at 10:25 AM.

"The hard part about reviewing LV is finding one that is neither vile nor trivial."[LT in his Uomo review] "This, along with Uomo, was one of Villoresis first fragrances, and it is hard to believe that on the basis of this he was encouraged to go on." [TS in her review of LV Donna]

If it's true that love makes you blind, it may have made me anosmic. It's all in the nose of the beholder, and I smell nature and paradise, because I love the Villoresis. Uomo is the only one I could do well without as it is more conventional. I still have to get Dilmun which is so different from the sombre energy of Yerbamate, Spezie and Piper Nigrum. And I'll have to at least have a good sample of Teint de Neige before I can say I am complete. Villoresi, as well as Santa Maria Novella are not by accident perfume makers in Florence. Whats behind the heavy stone walls and wooden gates (more than doors) of those palaces in that city is in these perfumes - anchor of and counterpoint to French perfumery of the nineteenth, and twentieth centuries.
    Maybe I just inhaled too many Guerlains by the time I reached my goal to own them. I now may not need the two that are missing in my collection. Perfume houses of Malle, Villoresi, Montale, and Lutens took me somewhere else. I still want more of those Italian treasures which are so direct, and yet hold a myth for me.
    Last edited by narcus; 29th April 2008 at 06:01 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

What are you guys' thoughts on Villoresi's Incensi?

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I love -and therefore own- Vetiver, Musk, Garofano and Piper Nigrum and when applied sporadically ánd lightly, I don't think I'll get tired of them, ever. The thing that strikes and appeals to me the most about Villoresi's creations is that I discover a new aspect in the most distant basenotes almost everytime I wear one of them. An example of this is the sandalwood base in Piper Nigrum which always gets to me in a way that makes me forget all other fragrances that use sandalwood, be it in top-, middle- or basenotes.

I'm slowly getting into a patchouly-period, like everyone of us has gone or will go through roses, vetiver, leather, etc., and I think chances are very high I'll have to with Villoresi again for an above-standard experience.

That said: is anybody selling LV's Patchouli
    Last edited by apekrul; 29th April 2008 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    "The hard part about reviewing LV is finding one that is neither vile nor trivial."[LT in his Uomo review] "This, along with Uomo, was one of Villoresis first fragrances, and it is hard to believe that on the basis of this he was encouraged to go on." [TS in her review of LV Donna]

If it's true that love makes you blind, it may have made me anosmic. It's all in the nose of the beholder, and I smell nature and paradise, because I love the Villoresis. Uomo is the only one I could do well without as it is more conventional. I still have to get Dilmun which is so different from the sombre energy of Yerbamate, Spezie and Piper Nigrum. And I'll have to at least have a good sample of Teint de Neige before I can say I am complete. Villoresi, as well as Santa Maria Novella are not by accident perfume makers in Florence. Whats behind the heavy stone walls and wooden gates (more than doors) of those palaces in that city is in these perfumes - anchor of and counterpoint to French perfumery of the nineteenth, and twentieth centuries.
    Maybe I just inhaled too many Guerlains by the time I reached my goal to own them. I now may not need the two that are missing in my collection. Perfume houses of Malle, Villoresi, Montale, and Lutens took me somewhere else. I still want more of those Italian treasures which are so direct, and yet hold a myth for me.
    "The hard part about reviewing LV is finding one that is neither vile nor trivial."
    ...as opposed to Beyond Paradise which brilliantly manages to be both

I'm with you, narcus. Incensi or Sandalo trivial? Vetiver vile? Not in my book.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    What are you guys' thoughts on Villoresi's Incensi?
    It's a favorite of mine. Very resinous incense with a dose of cinnamon that gives it christmassy feel. Supple and well-rounded, no harshness, an olfactory glimpse at a long ruined temple in old Assyria during its days of glory.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 29th April 2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Re: I'm down on Lorenzo Villoresi's stuff

Uomo is conventional, yes, but I can't see how it would be trivial. It is blended to absolute pefection, and it's beauty is not that obvious. It is unbeliveably clear, and one can notice so many accords in it. It's refreshing an reassuring, it never tires me. One of the very best.

Spezie - I've never come across anything like this before
    Vetiver-Outstanding variation of the note.
    Piper Nigrum - Again not come across anything like this before
    Uomo - An outstanding traditional man's fragrance.
    Garofano - A carnation ,geranium ,rose power house.
    Sandalo - A raw dry ;maybe a bit heavy on the rosewood sandalwood like no other variation i've experienced.
    My analogy for Lorenzo Villoresi fragrances is like a TVR you may not like them and they are perhaps a bit hairshirt but there's no disputing the quality or the stamp of the brand.
    Fragrances are like many other things in life : music,wine ,films etc all subjective but there is no way that Villoresi's fragrances are bland ,boring or no good.

In retrospect it's strange to see how both Tania and Luca found Villoresi worth discussing in 2005 (Turin Blog on Duftnote articles, just scan for V.) Not all friendly then, they really seem to enjoy bashing him now.
    I suppose that Villoresi perhaps not dared to fully express himself in his first perfumes for a man and a woman. As with all artists, it takes time to find ones own style. The way I read it, Spezie is the first real Villoresi, not to be mistaken for the creation of anybody else. This kind of composition was perfected in Piper Nigrum and Yerbamate. t_g_l, I still have only sampled Sandalo, Incensi, and Vetiver, so there is a lot ahead of me... Alamut seems to have been his last creation, and I know nothing about it. I worry that he may have finished his perfume projects for a wider public. His agenda seems to be filled with other projects nowadays. From someone in the business I heard that he wants to expand where he started: creating more room fragrances. I have no idea what and how these are.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    In retrospect it's strange to see how both Tania and Luca found Villoresi worth discussing in 2005 (Turin Blog on Duftnote articles, just scan for V.) Not all friendly then, they really seem to enjoy bashing him now.
    It is rumoured that Villoresi and Mona di Orio will be collaborating on a new fragrance. The working title is Trivial Civet Fart.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th April 2008 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    It's a favorite of mine. Very resinous incense with a dose of cinnamon that gives it christmassy feel. Supple and well-rounded, no harshness, an olfactory glimpse at a long ruined temple in old Assyria during its days of glory.
    I concur... it's one of the best Incense based frags I've ever smelled

The only other Villoresi I've smelled is Alamut.. it's a nice shape-sifting frag.. opening with florals, (jasmine?) it quickly morphs into a sillage monster smelling of a sweet powdery-milky musk coupled with spices and woods and plenty of tuberose. Pretty unique and will intrigue anyone who smells it IMO. Fans of powdery milky frags like JPG's Fleur du Male should check this one out... highly recommended!
    Last edited by Amit; 9th June 2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Acqua di Colonia.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I love "Teinte de Neige","Uomo" and "Yerbamate" and I'm looking for a full bottle of those - but the rest are really overrated. Having said that my brother hated "Yerbamate" and he thought I smelt like a ladies make-up bag with "Teinte de Neige". But "Yerbamate" is just brilliant - just amazing.

I haven't tried them all so I'm not sure I'm qualified to speak here. It's summer and I doubt whether any of his fragrances are good summer wear.

What I don't like about LV is that when you initially spray the perfumes on, they don't really stand out and so you may overapply. But after five minutes, the scent becomes more prominent. After an hour or two, it becomes cloying - almost like the only thing you can smell.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    What I don't like about LV is that when you initially spray the perfumes on, they don't really stand out and so you may overapply. But after five minutes, the scent becomes more prominent. After an hour or two, it becomes cloying - almost like the only thing you can smell.
    Agreed, I almost oversprayed Alamut since it didn't seem that powerful initially. Also, Yerbamate sounds quite interesting