Code of Conduct

Default I'm down on Lorenzo Villoresi's stuff

I'm down on my Lorenzo Villoresi fragrances lately. I wear them and get the "yeah, so what" feeling when I smell them the rest of the day. I don't think they're a big deal anymore. Thought I would share.

Patchouli, Spezie, Sandalo, Vetiver, Uomo, Musk. Got 'em in bottles. Teinte de Neige, Garofano, Incensi, and maybe another in sample vials. Try another one of them looking to smell the magic again, and it's the same old, no, this is blah. To wit:

Patchouli. Powerful. Sillage and longevity. Not so much patchouli even. I don't know, I just don't get as much patch from it as I do from Givenchy Gentleman, L'Artisan's Patchouli, Molinard's Patchouli, or Diptyque's L'Autre. Instead I get a lot of the smell of lime juice concentrate mixed with some dull and hidden dirt. I no longer get it. What's the big deal here? A few years ago I had everyone on a subway car turn and look at me because this stuff was so strong. Not long after that someone in an elevator praised me highly for the smell. Still, I don't get that dirty, boozy, smile thing that patchouli brings. All the beauty seems hidden to me. What a bummer.

Spezie. Yeah, this one is nifty. Dry spices. Smells warm, smells exotic, and is delightfully different from how any other man in my major metropolis smells. I've had people notice. I've had a date rave about it. I've claimed it's so wonderfully novel. But now I smell it and say so what. Seems two dimensional. Like a scent you put on and it makes you smell like that for the day, but doesn't take you anywhere.

Sandalo. Been months since I've worn it so I'm probably not being fair. In the past it has struck me as wonderful because it's a dry sandalwood. Most sandalwoods are heavy, smell oily, smell sappy, smell of woods in the dark and damp. (Maybe they don't to your nose, but to my nose most sandalwoods conotate something thick and wet.) That's most sandalwoods. Sandalo however, is delightfully dry and thus I found it fitting for a fantastic summertime sandalwood fragrance. Better, it was kind of an "aura" scent, rather than one that would seem to radiate from where I sprayed it. I walked in its cloud during the day, and it was a beautiful effect. I guess I have to try it again shortly, but now I just say so-what also. Tam Dao by Diptyque (wet sandalwood) still blows me away with the amount of olfactory sculpture it carves into my nose. MPG's Parfum d'Habit has sandalwood that plays hide and seek with me all day long, intermittent with dirt, tar maybe, and some black putty. MPG Santal Noble is so sparkling it seems to be a smell with Christmas jingle bells ringing every time I smell it. Sandalo, however, it's nice, but come the end of the day I wish I'd chosen something else.

Musk. I'm not a musk guy, I'm a rose guy. I went for this for the roses. There aren't enough. The musk doesn't come out to its best unless you start sweating like crazy, which I learned playing great video games in it once. Otherwise look for a nice LV Musk day when you know you're going to be freaked out nervous for several hours. Except for those circumstances LV Musk is just too much. One big blob that doesn't unroll. Sort of a senseless thing and thus an uninteresting thing. Like looking at a pile of dirty rags. Not assuming bad smells from a pile of dirty rags, mind you, but the visual lack of interest in said pile.

Vetiver. I used to think this was paradise. A formal night's vetiver. Some of its grassiness is so sharp you expect to hear the sound of grass blades used as a whistle in your cupped hands as you walk down the street. A formal and raw manly scent that is like the moment when one is all dressed up for the night out, and giving last moment directions about the mundane household things to the baby sitter. The sitter hears you about when you'll be back, that there's milk in the fridge, and when you'll be back, but thinks, damn, he's wearing a tuxedo telling me all that stuff. That's what I thought LV's Vetiver should be used for. But I wore it last week or so, and just got a weedy mess instead of delicious grasses and roots. I've been playing with Givenchy, Carven, and Guerlain vetivers for the summer and fall and I'm now pretty swayed by the smooth beauty of those products. I love Route du Vetiver too, and I'd pick that for my killer vetiver, so I simply don't know the purpose of the dry sort of silly mess that is LV's Vetiver.

Uomo. Not a bad stuff at all. Sort of nice and relaxing to be in. Reminds me of the way the shade smells when you suddenly walk out of the bright sun. It has a nice effect like cooling the nose. Has the most interesting fennel, I think, and seems a delightful addition to the "melancholy" scents scent category. Reflective. Contemplative. Sort of sad. Patient. A good mood to have and a good scent to remind you that remove feels good sometimes. Buuuut, Patricia de Nicolaï's Nicolaï Pour Homme does this genre so much better. LV's melancholy sort of sits there. Like Musk it refuses to unroll and reveal itself. Leaves me with the old blah, so what reaction.

I can't be fair to what I've got in samples. Nevertheless, Insensi smells like warm incense stuff on a standard, dull, LV base. Garofano smells fantastic. I love carnation and it doesn't smell like any other LV. Love the smell of this one. Still, I have Caron's Bellogia, and in edp. Teint de Neige? Dunno, gotta wear it. Sniffing it I think it's just not my thing.

I'm not getting rid of these bottles. Because I'm down on them I'll probably have to wear them more so I can try to figure them out and why I'm down on them again. Similar to how I used to have arguments with a couple girlfriends about D.H. Lawrence. I hate his books. They'd say why, how can you, they're great, I love his books. So I'd have to read more of his books to justify my dislike or try to find something I like that I didn't see before. It set me about needing to put my nose into what I dislike so that I dislike it. Not a great use of time or a really healthy thing to do, but a scent is for a day in the life. No doubt disliking them will bring me to a few more days in the life of them, and that's all for the better.

But now I say there's no need to get out of your chair for LV scents.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: I'm down on Lorenzo Villoresi's stuff

I thought so too, but don't write them off yet. I swapped my uomo but now I miss it imensly. I recenly smelled Santalo, Musk and a few others and now I think they're wonderfull.
    You can recognise a Villoresi by miles. They have got a pure,raw,honest quality that is rarely found in fragrances today. And not everyone likes that (my wife for example)
    The only think that "bothers" me about them is the image they have tend to bit a bit serious or boring maybe.
    Dark blue bottles, dramatic descriptions and indeed very serious fragances.
    Let them rest for a while and I assure you, you will be liking them in a few weeks , or months even.

I don't have a single Villoresi in my collection anymore, much to my regret, but with the zillion new niche houses rising today it is the "classic" niche houses I want to go back to these days.(For example , I recently fell in love with some L'Artisan samples I had again , but that's another story.)

cheers,
    eric
    Last edited by eric; 11th January 2008 at 09:24 PM.

Funny, I'm the same way about almost all Oscar de la Renta frags. I'll find one I kinda like (either gender), then say, "Pfeh -- I should care already?"
    I just can't get excited by them, but can't say they're all schlock, either.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 11th January 2008 at 09:23 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Chris, how much did Laurice Rahme pay you for badmouthing Villoresi ?

Seriously: who knows, your taste may simply be changing or it's one of those phases we all get at some point. I was down on Piper Nigrum myself this fall and winter, Incensi was in fact my favorite Villoresi. It surprises me that you feel turned off by the whole line. To me they all seem bold statements (or raw, honest, as eric said) which you can love or hate but never be indifferent about - as opposed to the shallow waters of a soulless profit-engine such as Bond No. 9 (do you see a pattern in this thread ? ). I'd give 'em a chance.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 11th January 2008 at 09:32 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Wow, Chris, great post. I like the thing of weaving fragrance into larger considerations of how you live, of when you might wear a particular fragrance, and how it might change the feeling of being in a particular situation.
    Clearly "smooth beauty", as you put it well, is not LV's particular strength. His Patchouli is not a composition with clean edges in the way that Gentleman is. I've been thinking of this in relation to Mazzolari and many of the Profumum frags, as well. They all seem to be working in a tradition of modern perfumery that is a clear alternative to Jean-Claude Ellena's sheer, concise sensibility. If Ellena's Hermèssence line is a series of memorable aphorisms, then Villoresi's line is a series of woolly ruminations. If Ellena makes elegantly fitted shirts, Villoresi makes fishermen's sweaters, sheepy with lanolin and involuted with the thousand variations of anything handmade. There's something more like a human body in the Villoresi/Mazzolari tradition, and I've been wondering what to call it if it is a tradition.
    For myself, I wouldn't want to wear only these woolly beasts, but I do like them to live in.

Basenotes Institution

Great way to explain the line and your recent 'turn around' on them - maybe the heavy handed way the LV scents come across to you have increased your threshold for them a little...and now that it's been raised, they just aren't the same?

Good idea about holding on to them.

Try applying less of them (in case you already haven't tried this). Or put them away and revisit them later.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th January 2008 at 09:44 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Am I the only one who finds LV Vetiver and Montale Vetiver Sables some what similar ?
    -

Off-Scenter

I agree with the observation that Villoresi's scents often have a blunt, plain-spoken quality about them. They share this (and a penchant for brusque, chaotic top notes,) with some of the Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier scents. I also find it interesting that the list of disappointments does not include my two absolute favorites in the line: Yerbamate and Piper Nigrum. I think these are two of the most complex and intricate of the Villoresi scents. Piper Nigrum in particular has a protracted and interesting development.

I wouldn't dismiss the line as of yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were to return to them with more enthusiasm later on.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 11th January 2008 at 09:54 PM.

I love almost all of the Villoresis.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I agree with the remark on Yerbamate. For me by far the best Villoresi.

Gents,
    Thanks for the good words and encouragement. It was a pleasure to write the post, which expanded pretty quickly as I sat down to try to get out what I thought would be only a few thoughts. Posts that incorporate living with a scent, and a body of scents in life, and how we live with scents and how they affect us turn out to be fun to write. I'm a firm believer in the idea that scents are stories, imaginary or concretely.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I also find it interesting that the list of disappointments does not include my two absolute favorites in the line: Yerbamate and Piper Nigrum. I think these are two of the most complex and intricate of the Villoresi scents. Piper Nigrum in particular has a protracted and interesting development.
    Vibert,
    You're right, I left those two out. Maybe my sample bin has Yerbamate in it but I can't remember for sure. Piper Nigrum, though, I'm afraid that bottle was one of my greatest disappointments and the LV I wore several times, and dismissed most quickly. I dislike the stuff very much. Probably it was several Basenotes forums ago, but I wrote once about how Spezie was superior to PN and Diptyque's L'Autre was superior to both, although truly they don't exactly smell alike. They're ones I'd go to for a spice experience though, and thus I grouped them. Of course that was long ago and I forgot that wrote up that review of PN. In general, I find PN to remind me of a puddle of ugly, dirty water in an asphalt road's pothole on a hot day in the summer. Not my thing, but a rich experience because you don't know what you like unless you can also know what you don't like. Glad it's a favorite of yours, my friend, and all of the other readers who cherish it. I'll keep using my current LVs, but it's unlikely I'll buy any others. Piper Nigrum was one I was happy to trade to a fine fellow Basenoter though.

I'll look forward to an experience of Yerbamate soon. It's got to be in the samples.

Thanks to everyone for reading!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Dependent

It starts with the Viloresi and it will spread. Next thing you know you're a moderator on a board you have absolutely no interest in. You begin practicing obsessively rolling a silver dollar over your knuckles till you get it perfect and can do it on a moving cross country bus. You get off in Las Vegas and for a few months you win. You dazzle everyone with your newfound ability to read everyones tells at the table in seven card stud. You start shooting pool and again you amaze the locals with your skills. Till one day a guy named Doc walks in and says he hears that you're pretty good with a cue. You lose big. Everything. The Benzes, the girls. They break your thumb knuckles all four of them and then she walks past you in the emergency room... what's that scent? My God she has legs all the way up to her ass. But that scent drives you nuts. Is that a Villoresi Vetiver or... what is that? I used to know. You look at your purple thumbs and the room starts to spin.

Your knuckles heal. You get your old job at Basenotes back

We welcome you back

Out of all the LVs I have (seven), I still reach for PN the most. I think me and Paul G. had a cult going with this scent several years ago. Yerbamate is definately an interesting scent--smokey hay turning to a powdery green tea. I believe Acqua Di Colonia is probably one of the most underrated of scents. Sure it smells like a number of other rosemary and citrus scent (Acqua di Parma), but I think it's wonderfully crafted and classy.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Gents,
    ...I find PN to remind me of a puddle of ugly, dirty water in an asphalt road's pothole on a hot day in the summer. ... --Chris
    ROFL :bounce:

OK, that's just brilliant.

It's also close to my impression of Secretions Magnifiques.

I agree on Sandalo only. Still love all the rest of the blue bottles. Uomo is a toweringly great fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Vetiver.
    But I wore it last week or so, and just got a weedy mess instead of delicious grasses and roots.
    --Chris
    Hi Chris,
    I've always categorised the vetiver scents in my mind as either refined/smooth or rough/raw. LV Vetiver, Etro Vetiver and Roccobarocco Vetiver I've always put in the rough basket, and most of the other designer ones into the refined basket.

To me, LV Vetiver is the best of the lot, probably because it is a weedy mess - pretty much like normal vetiver reminds me of something weedy and earthy.

However, I can't say I've been that enthralled with most of the other LVs. Some are okay, but with the exception of Uomo, Vetiver and perhaps Piper Nigrum, while definitely complex and interesting, most are unlikely to be perceived as anything particularly masculine by many people. A few people have asked me why I was wearing women's scents when I either tried samples I had, or had sprayed some on at the shops.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 12th January 2008 at 03:38 AM.

All the Villoresi scents have something in common - a similar development and basenote that uses similar herbs and ending notes. I sometimes get bored by how safe and how completely blended their fragrances are. Maybe its harder to build a fragrance that is as well rounded as Villoresi is - but its not quite as interesting as those fragrances that risk more in their design. Most Villoresi fragrances suffer from overblending or trying to do too much. I still do like Vetiver and Uomo greatly, but have lost intrest in Yerbamate and Piper Nigrum.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 27th April 2008 at 02:47 PM.

At the hay days of my LV fanatism I had full bottles of PN, Vetiver, Incensi and Yerbamate and decants of Sandalo, Patchouli, Alamut and Wild Lavender. I was so fascinated by their originality and naturality and regarded them as one of the purest and finest fragrances on earth.

As the time went by I realized that I hardly ever use those precious scents of mine except for Alamut and Yerba. Eventually I had to admit myself that I like the concept of these fragrances more than the actual scents and nowadays I share the same so-what feeling for almost all of them and I truly like Yerbamate only.

Regards,
    -T-

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I also find it interesting that the list of disappointments does not include my two absolute favorites in the line: Yerbamate and Piper Nigrum. I think these are two of the most complex and intricate of the Villoresi scents. Piper Nigrum in particular has a protracted and interesting development.
    My thoughts exactly!

I don't wear PN very often but couldn't live without my dear Yerb...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I love LV, as I think I've said about a billion times on here. I agree with others who have sung the praises of his Vetiver and Yerbamate. I'm very much in the pro-Piper Nigrum camp as well, but my partner hates it. One thing I really don't get are the "not enough rose" in the Musk and "not enough patchouli" in the Patchouli comments in the initial post on this thread. I find that the rose is almost too dominant (though very nice) in the Musk and the Patchouli is so loaded with patchouli that my first thought was that maybe I should save some money and just get some patchouli oil to layer with the Vetiver once in a while. I know everybody's nose is different, but does anybody out there agree with these two statements about Musk and Patchouli from the first post? My response when I read them was pretty much WTF?

the ONE villoresi i own and love is Garofano...
    its always surprising in its absolutely lack of deference to modern trends and fashions.
    Also.. its one fragrance that never treads carefully on the side of good taste.
    i dont use it all the time
    but whenever i do i do enter that special world of bold, strong art that to me epitomises the personality of Lorenzo Villoresi...
    DONT sell them off, give your nose a rest and use other fragrances.
    then maybe use your Sandalo or get some Garofano when you feel that the world is oh so well-behaved...

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    One thing I really don't get are the "not enough rose" in the Musk and "not enough patchouli" in the Patchouli comments in the initial post on this thread. I find that the rose is almost too dominant (though very nice) in the Musk and the Patchouli is so loaded with patchouli that my first thought was that maybe I should save some money and just get some patchouli oil to layer with the Vetiver once in a while. I know everybody's nose is different, but does anybody out there agree with these two statements about Musk and Patchouli from the first post? My response when I read them was pretty much WTF?
    I own these too as well, and agree with you: I find Musk more rosy than musky, and I think that Patchouli is the ultimate "earth & dirt" kind of patchouli scent (I have and love Mazzolari and Etro patchoulis, too, but find them are much more mellow than LV).
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'm close to wanting to buy Sandalo and Spezie at Lafco.

How is the sillage and lasting power of both of these?

Sillage and lasting power of both are excellent (entire workday for me). I think that Spezie may last a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post

Holy cow...Sandalo lasts an eternity on me. It's one that requires extra effort to scrub off.
    Sillage is nice. It can be initially overpowering if applied too heavily but IMO even then it ultimately tones itself down.
    I need to retry Spezie.

Initially the LV's seemed expensive but today they almost seem like a bargain considering what other niches go for.
    Last edited by evogel; 27th April 2008 at 04:31 PM.

If you´re into roses try Villoresi´s Donna. Incredibly well done - beautiful stuff that is far superior to 1000 or Joy. I also love Piper Nigrum..........perhaps you just picked out the wrong Villoresis ?

Basenotes Institution

Sillage and longevity for Spezie is above average.

I find that my perceptions change too, but that's what makes fiddling around with frags so interesting, isn't it?

Ok, thanks. I just picked up a 3.3 oz Spezie in Lafco this afternoon. I can't wait to wear it tommorow.

Sandalo comes after my next paycheck!!

Ok, thanks. I just picked up a 3.3 oz Spezie in Lafco this afternoon. I can't wait to wear it tommorow.

Sandalo comes after my next paycheck!!

Would love your review of Spezia. This is a very special fragrance. As a fellow Manhattan peregrinator, I wonder what reaction you get to the smell of tomato plants!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    All the Villoresi scents have something in common - a similar development and basenote that uses similar herbs and ending notes. I sometimes get bored by how safe and how completely blended their fragrances are. Maybe its harder to build a fragrance that is as well rounded as Villoresi is - but its not quite as interesting as those fragrances that risk more in their design. Most Villoresi fragrances suffer from overblending or trying to do too much. I still do like Vetiver and Uomo greatly, but have lost intrest in Yerbamate and Piper Nigrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGA View Post
    At the hay days of my LV fanatism I had full bottles of PN, Vetiver, Incensi and Yerbamate and decants of Sandalo, Patchouli, Alamut and Wild Lavender. I was so fascinated by their originality and naturality and regarded them as one of the purest and finest fragrances on earth.

As the time went by I realized that I hardly ever use those precious scents of mine except for Alamut and Yerba. Eventually I had to admit myself that I like the concept of these fragrances more than the actual scents and nowadays I share the same so-what feeling for almost all of them and I truly like Yerbamate only.

Regards,
    -T-
    These two quotes sum up Lorenzo Villoresi for me. I've often read that the creations by Serge Lutens would be better served as room fragrances rather than perfumes, and I've often disagreed thinking, "Just wait until you try the creations by Lorenzo Villoresi."

I find them unnecessarily coarse instead of smooth, too blunt instead of refined, firing on all cylinders far too quickly rather than developing at a leisurely pace, revealing their facets and nuances far too readily instead of remaining somewhat enigmatic...

Whenever I try a Lorenzo Villoresi, they either repel me or leave me cold. And as much as I want to love at least one of them they seem, very much like Italian women, too much bloody hard work - by the time they’ve warmed up to me, I’ve long thrown in the towel…
    Last edited by Trebor; 28th April 2008 at 11:25 AM.

"The hard part about reviewing LV is finding one that is neither vile nor trivial."[LT in his Uomo review] "This, along with Uomo, was one of Villoresis first fragrances, and it is hard to believe that on the basis of this he was encouraged to go on." [TS in her review of LV Donna]

If it's true that love makes you blind, it may have made me anosmic. It's all in the nose of the beholder, and I smell nature and paradise, because I love the Villoresis. Uomo is the only one I could do well without as it is more conventional. I still have to get Dilmun which is so different from the sombre energy of Yerbamate, Spezie and Piper Nigrum. And I'll have to at least have a good sample of Teint de Neige before I can say I am complete. Villoresi, as well as Santa Maria Novella are not by accident perfume makers in Florence. Whats behind the heavy stone walls and wooden gates (more than doors) of those palaces in that city is in these perfumes - anchor of and counterpoint to French perfumery of the nineteenth, and twentieth centuries.
    Maybe I just inhaled too many Guerlains by the time I reached my goal to own them. I now may not need the two that are missing in my collection. Perfume houses of Malle, Villoresi, Montale, and Lutens took me somewhere else. I still want more of those Italian treasures which are so direct, and yet hold a myth for me.
    Last edited by narcus; 29th April 2008 at 07:01 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

What are you guys' thoughts on Villoresi's Incensi?

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I love -and therefore own- Vetiver, Musk, Garofano and Piper Nigrum and when applied sporadically ánd lightly, I don't think I'll get tired of them, ever. The thing that strikes and appeals to me the most about Villoresi's creations is that I discover a new aspect in the most distant basenotes almost everytime I wear one of them. An example of this is the sandalwood base in Piper Nigrum which always gets to me in a way that makes me forget all other fragrances that use sandalwood, be it in top-, middle- or basenotes.

I'm slowly getting into a patchouly-period, like everyone of us has gone or will go through roses, vetiver, leather, etc., and I think chances are very high I'll have to with Villoresi again for an above-standard experience.

That said: is anybody selling LV's Patchouli
    Last edited by apekrul; 29th April 2008 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    "The hard part about reviewing LV is finding one that is neither vile nor trivial."[LT in his Uomo review] "This, along with Uomo, was one of Villoresis first fragrances, and it is hard to believe that on the basis of this he was encouraged to go on." [TS in her review of LV Donna]

If it's true that love makes you blind, it may have made me anosmic. It's all in the nose of the beholder, and I smell nature and paradise, because I love the Villoresis. Uomo is the only one I could do well without as it is more conventional. I still have to get Dilmun which is so different from the sombre energy of Yerbamate, Spezie and Piper Nigrum. And I'll have to at least have a good sample of Teint de Neige before I can say I am complete. Villoresi, as well as Santa Maria Novella are not by accident perfume makers in Florence. Whats behind the heavy stone walls and wooden gates (more than doors) of those palaces in that city is in these perfumes - anchor of and counterpoint to French perfumery of the nineteenth, and twentieth centuries.
    Maybe I just inhaled too many Guerlains by the time I reached my goal to own them. I now may not need the two that are missing in my collection. Perfume houses of Malle, Villoresi, Montale, and Lutens took me somewhere else. I still want more of those Italian treasures which are so direct, and yet hold a myth for me.
    "The hard part about reviewing LV is finding one that is neither vile nor trivial."
    ...as opposed to Beyond Paradise which brilliantly manages to be both

I'm with you, narcus. Incensi or Sandalo trivial? Vetiver vile? Not in my book.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    What are you guys' thoughts on Villoresi's Incensi?
    It's a favorite of mine. Very resinous incense with a dose of cinnamon that gives it christmassy feel. Supple and well-rounded, no harshness, an olfactory glimpse at a long ruined temple in old Assyria during its days of glory.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 29th April 2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Re: I'm down on Lorenzo Villoresi's stuff

Uomo is conventional, yes, but I can't see how it would be trivial. It is blended to absolute pefection, and it's beauty is not that obvious. It is unbeliveably clear, and one can notice so many accords in it. It's refreshing an reassuring, it never tires me. One of the very best.

Spezie - I've never come across anything like this before
    Vetiver-Outstanding variation of the note.
    Piper Nigrum - Again not come across anything like this before
    Uomo - An outstanding traditional man's fragrance.
    Garofano - A carnation ,geranium ,rose power house.
    Sandalo - A raw dry ;maybe a bit heavy on the rosewood sandalwood like no other variation i've experienced.
    My analogy for Lorenzo Villoresi fragrances is like a TVR you may not like them and they are perhaps a bit hairshirt but there's no disputing the quality or the stamp of the brand.
    Fragrances are like many other things in life : music,wine ,films etc all subjective but there is no way that Villoresi's fragrances are bland ,boring or no good.

In retrospect it's strange to see how both Tania and Luca found Villoresi worth discussing in 2005 (Turin Blog on Duftnote articles, just scan for V.) Not all friendly then, they really seem to enjoy bashing him now.
    I suppose that Villoresi perhaps not dared to fully express himself in his first perfumes for a man and a woman. As with all artists, it takes time to find ones own style. The way I read it, Spezie is the first real Villoresi, not to be mistaken for the creation of anybody else. This kind of composition was perfected in Piper Nigrum and Yerbamate. t_g_l, I still have only sampled Sandalo, Incensi, and Vetiver, so there is a lot ahead of me... Alamut seems to have been his last creation, and I know nothing about it. I worry that he may have finished his perfume projects for a wider public. His agenda seems to be filled with other projects nowadays. From someone in the business I heard that he wants to expand where he started: creating more room fragrances. I have no idea what and how these are.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    In retrospect it's strange to see how both Tania and Luca found Villoresi worth discussing in 2005 (Turin Blog on Duftnote articles, just scan for V.) Not all friendly then, they really seem to enjoy bashing him now.
    It is rumoured that Villoresi and Mona di Orio will be collaborating on a new fragrance. The working title is Trivial Civet Fart.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th April 2008 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    It's a favorite of mine. Very resinous incense with a dose of cinnamon that gives it christmassy feel. Supple and well-rounded, no harshness, an olfactory glimpse at a long ruined temple in old Assyria during its days of glory.
    I concur... it's one of the best Incense based frags I've ever smelled

The only other Villoresi I've smelled is Alamut.. it's a nice shape-sifting frag.. opening with florals, (jasmine?) it quickly morphs into a sillage monster smelling of a sweet powdery-milky musk coupled with spices and woods and plenty of tuberose. Pretty unique and will intrigue anyone who smells it IMO. Fans of powdery milky frags like JPG's Fleur du Male should check this one out... highly recommended!
    Last edited by Amit; 9th June 2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Acqua di Colonia.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I love "Teinte de Neige","Uomo" and "Yerbamate" and I'm looking for a full bottle of those - but the rest are really overrated. Having said that my brother hated "Yerbamate" and he thought I smelt like a ladies make-up bag with "Teinte de Neige". But "Yerbamate" is just brilliant - just amazing.

I haven't tried them all so I'm not sure I'm qualified to speak here. It's summer and I doubt whether any of his fragrances are good summer wear.

What I don't like about LV is that when you initially spray the perfumes on, they don't really stand out and so you may overapply. But after five minutes, the scent becomes more prominent. After an hour or two, it becomes cloying - almost like the only thing you can smell.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    What I don't like about LV is that when you initially spray the perfumes on, they don't really stand out and so you may overapply. But after five minutes, the scent becomes more prominent. After an hour or two, it becomes cloying - almost like the only thing you can smell.
    Agreed, I almost oversprayed Alamut since it didn't seem that powerful initially. Also, Yerbamate sounds quite interesting