Code of Conduct

Threaded View

Default Some recommendations?

Wow, a whole community around fragrances. The internet continues to amaze!

I would like to learn more about fragrances, but it's hard to know where to start, as there's a bazillion products out there. I looked around the main site and was overwhelmed. Maybe you can help me a little.

I currently have three fragrances (impulse buys and gifts). I thought that perhaps if I say what I like or don't like about them, you guys can point me in the right direction.

Dior Homme - I like this one, but only in a weird way. I haven't used it much as it seems a bit fancy/formal to me, and perhaps not as masculine as I'd like.
    Jil Sanders PURE for men - I don't like this one at all. Flat, boring, smells too much like shampoo... I spray it on during weekdays only, when I go to work. Might actually throw it away.
    D&G pour homme - My favorite of the three. I'm not a big fan of the initial smell as it's a bit too harsh with the fruitiness, but after a while it gets a lot better. I really like its sophistication and would be interested in other fragrances that are as interesting and complex as this one (though not necessarily ones that smell similar, if that makes any sense).

When I read reviews here, words like 'woody' appeal to me, even though it's hard to imagine that smell. I do know that in general I like earthy or spicy tastes and smells more than sweet or even fresh ones. E.g. I prefer a syrah wine instead of merlot. Prefer cinnamon over sugar. Etc. Not sure if that helps though.

Anyway, I'm 24 and an outgoing type of guy, so I'd like to smell nice and have it say something about me. I would preferably not wear something quite a lot of people have (like D&G) but go for something a little bit more original.

Got any names I can search for (and try in the store)? Some place to start digging?
    Last edited by technitai; 12th January 2008 at 10:19 PM.