Code of Conduct

Default Some recommendations?

Wow, a whole community around fragrances. The internet continues to amaze!

I would like to learn more about fragrances, but it's hard to know where to start, as there's a bazillion products out there. I looked around the main site and was overwhelmed. Maybe you can help me a little.

I currently have three fragrances (impulse buys and gifts). I thought that perhaps if I say what I like or don't like about them, you guys can point me in the right direction.

Dior Homme - I like this one, but only in a weird way. I haven't used it much as it seems a bit fancy/formal to me, and perhaps not as masculine as I'd like.
    Jil Sanders PURE for men - I don't like this one at all. Flat, boring, smells too much like shampoo... I spray it on during weekdays only, when I go to work. Might actually throw it away.
    D&G pour homme - My favorite of the three. I'm not a big fan of the initial smell as it's a bit too harsh with the fruitiness, but after a while it gets a lot better. I really like its sophistication and would be interested in other fragrances that are as interesting and complex as this one (though not necessarily ones that smell similar, if that makes any sense).

When I read reviews here, words like 'woody' appeal to me, even though it's hard to imagine that smell. I do know that in general I like earthy or spicy tastes and smells more than sweet or even fresh ones. E.g. I prefer a syrah wine instead of merlot. Prefer cinnamon over sugar. Etc. Not sure if that helps though.

Anyway, I'm 24 and an outgoing type of guy, so I'd like to smell nice and have it say something about me. I would preferably not wear something quite a lot of people have (like D&G) but go for something a little bit more original.

Got any names I can search for (and try in the store)? Some place to start digging?
    Last edited by technitai; 12th January 2008 at 09:19 PM.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Some recommendations?

I have to say that given your preference for D&G pour Homme, your characterization of the kind of scent that appeals to you is pretty much spot-on. D&G belongs to a scent family called "fougeres" (French for "fern"). These typically blend aromatic notes (lavender, sage, etc.) with "mossy" or foresty notes and sweet notes like vanilla, coumarin or tonka bean. The fougeres probably include more men's fragrances than any other scent family. Some others in this group you may enjoy include Jazz (Yves St. Laurent), Tuscany per Uomo (Aramis), the superb 3rd Man from Caron, Dunhill Edition, and the spicy, spicy Cacharel pour Homme.

If you want a sense of what "woody" notes are all about, think of pencil shavings, or the shavings used in hamster cages (before they get peed on). These are crude variations on the cedar note, which is very common in men's fragrances. Other woody notes includde sandalwood, which is softer, smoother, and richer than cedar, rosewood, which actually has some sweet floral overtones, and vetiver (actually a root) with an earthy scent. Your predilection for woody notes and spices suggests that you'd enjoy scents from the "woody oriental" family. Many of these are rather sweet, but some of the more balanced examples are Envy for Men (Gucci) with plenty of cedar and spices, Comme des Garcons Zagorsk, and the very well-loved M7 from Yves St. Laurent. Boucheron's Jaipur Homme and Guerlain's Heritage are two classic woody orientals that might be too sweet for your tastes but are so outstanding that they're worth trying anyway.

Whatever else you do, try to test any fragrance on your own skin, not a paper strip, and don't rely on the first few minutes. The meaty part (heart or middle notes) of most fragrances may not reveal themselves before 10 or 15 minutes - sometimes longer.

Happy hunting!

Vibert has made some great suggestions (especially the Heritage - one of my favorites!)

This is one of the articles that helped me a lot when I first got started. Explains fragrance categories in a basic way that I could understand:

Interview with Michael Edwards:
    http://www.basenotes.net/interviews/int-medwards.html
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Thanks for these recommendations! I'm heading out to the store today to try a few of these on, and plan to do this a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by technitai View Post
    Thanks for these recommendations! I'm heading out to the store today to try a few of these on, and plan to do this a couple of times.
    Take your time with them. After you spray, walk around for a little bit. Let them dry down so you get past the initial rush of topnotes.

Ask for samples of the ones you are interested in - the best way to test is at home and one at a time.

Most important of all, have fun and enjoy the experience. Let us know how you fared.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost