Code of Conduct

Default The History of M and Pheromone for Men by Marilyn Miglin

Hey guys I stumbled upon this post on the Miglin Institutes website that I found interesting...it was in response to a woman asking about the difference between the two.....

That's kind of a tough question, Lucy, and I'll tell you why.

Our first men's fragrance was M for Men, which developed a nice little following for not having any more exposure than our salon, telemarketing and direct mail services being able to sell it. It actually became something of a cult following of wearers here in Chicago and in pockets throughout the U.S.

But without wholesale distribution in the department stores, the costs to add more products to the line made no sense and so it stayed in it's own quiet little corner with it's "groupies" so-to-speak.

Then one of the department stores wanted it...on the condition that Marilyn alter some of the ingredients and add more. Rightfully so, she refused, because in doing so...M would no longer be M to those who loved it.

When yet another department store wanted it, but asked for similar changes, Marilyn acquiesced, but in doing so, insisted that the newly altered fragrance was no longer M. Therefore, it was dubbed Pheromone for Men, since M and P4M include many of the same ingredients as Pheromone, sans floral oils.

Labdanum, spices, a musk and orange were but a few of the new ingredients filtering into the top and mid notes of the new Pheromone for Men and although the two are very similar, there are some distinctive differences.

M has more of a "kick" upon being sprayed, due to the hay oil used. It dries down to a sweeter wear than Pheromone for Men and is much more crisp.

Pheromone for Men has the same warmth, but it's much sharper without that sweetness (part of that is due to the fact that M contains honey).

I can't tell you, Lucy, that one is stronger than the other.

I happen to prefer M over Pheromone for Men. I do wear both, but have been wearing M for years and most people recognize it as my signature scent. I happen to love the initial kick and dry-down.

If he's looking for something lighter, I suggest "Duke" which we've been discussing with heated passion over the last few weeks in determing whether or not we wish to flesh out a marketing campaign and look at some budgeting to launch it in stores, most likely under a different name for a variety of reasons.

I wear that all the time in the warmer months and have always thought it a winner....and I'm rather excited that there's been some discussion in what to do with it now.

Hope that this is somewhat helpful.

Default Re: The History of M and Pheromone for Men by Marilyn Miglin

M and Pheromone are mostly the same scent - with the exception that Pheromone for men is spicer and more well rounded then M.

I have M and seldom wear it for its just too powerful.

It's one helluva green powerhouse, that's for sure.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

If he's looking for something lighter, I suggest "Duke" which we've been discussing with heated passion over the last few weeks in determing whether or not we wish to flesh out a marketing campaign and look at some budgeting to launch it in stores, most likely under a different name for a variety of reasons.
    Sorry, but, does anyone know "Duke" ???

its not available yet I believe

Post Thanks / Like

The story strikes me as odd--why would department stores dictate ingredients to use? Dictate them to a perfumer who's already got a successful launch apparently, at that? And two department store companies? The same insistence for the same ingredient substitutions?

Interesting story, but it sure presents the fragrance market in a different way than I've imagined it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    The story strikes me as odd--why would department stores dictate ingredients to use? Dictate them to a perfumer who's already got a successful launch apparently, at that? And two department store companies? The same insistence for the same ingredient substitutions?

Interesting story, but it sure presents the fragrance market in a different way than I've imagined it.
    I think Miglin was trying to push her fragrance into the department store market and she dosen't have the backing or name clout as say Calvin Klein which is being pushed by Coty.

In this case the marketing group of large department store can say if you want us to give you shelf space then you need to do this or that.

It is a interesting story though....