Code of Conduct

Default New Serge Lutens release...

Thanks to a really nice friend I am now wearing "Five o'clock au gingembre", Serge Lutens' next release (due in March I assume?): it should be a success!

To my nose it's half way between Rousse and Un Bois Sépia, having the fruity, spicy opening of Rousse lying on the mossy, earthy base of Un Bois Sépia. The funny thing is that I don't really like Rousse nor do I enjoy wearing Un Bois Sépia, but Five o'clock au gingembre seems to take the best of each of those and melt them into something subtle, incredibly elegant and suave so... Be patient people!

Default Re: New Serge Lutens release...

How did you get it, when it's supposed to be out in March, surly employees are more professional than to do that :S?

Which line is this release going to be from? Export or Palais Royal?
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ginger? Could be interesting. I've yet to find but one or two ginger-heavy frags that worked for me, but I'll be eager to sample this one.
    Let's just hope it's not TOO (trademark Lutens) syrupy.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 13th January 2008 at 03:09 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Export it is, more info (in german...) and a pic here: http://duftarchiv.de/?p=1106
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

The name is so corny, it sounds like a hoax !
    -

Basenotes Institution

I was dazzled by Rousse, a little intrigued by Louve and I haven't smelled Sarassins yet - so count me in, on looking forward to this new release.

I must agree with Matt - ginger and I are not friends (the Origins one is just OK, but slightly boring) so I'm looking forward to smelling this.

I had no idea this was coming, I feel ambushed.

I can't stand the name. And thats something I could never say about SL before. Its certainly not something I'd want to tell someone I was wearing, if they asked.

Chene rolls of the tongue. Tubereuse Criminelle does too. But Five o'clock au gingembre? What does that even mean? And I dont mean translated...

Tell that to someone and they lose interest real quick.

That said, Im looking forward to smelling this. I love Sepia and Rousse a lot.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Thank you for the heads up, Manderley!

However, me, a sworn Lutensite, feel strangely unmoved by this new release. Maybe it's the thought of something concocted out of Rousse and Un Bois Sépia? Meaning nothing new

Notes taken from the site tigs kindly provided: ginger root (described as slightly smoky and candied), bergamot, honey, pepper, dark cocoa.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Thank you for the heads up, Manderley!

Notes taken from the site tigs kindly provided: ginger root (described as slightly smoky and candied), bergamot, honey, pepper, dark cocoa.
    I'll call it something else! LOL! Sounds like I'll love it!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Yeah, just like French Lover, the name just doesn't sound right (for a start, it's too bloody long!). I also agree with Lady_in_Black - I no longer feel any sense of enthusiasm about new SL releases. It's been quite a while since the release of Gris Clair (the last release that I absolutely loved) and can't see why I should bother holding my breath. I suppose I'm waiting for this house to release something TOTALLY NEW and not a rehash or 'improvement' on an earlier release.

When Chris Sheldrake moved from SL to Chanel, I`m still wonder WHO IS ON CHARGE as perfumer in that House now?
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    When Chris Sheldrake moved from SL to Chanel, I`m still wonder WHO IS ON CHARGE as perfumer in that House now?
    Good point! Maybe the name of this new release is an indication of a new beginning? However, the notes still fail to excite me.

Sheldrake doesn't work exclusively for Chanel. He still works with Lutens in the same basic capacity as he ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Sheldrake doesn't work exclusively for Chanel. He still works with Lutens in the same basic capacity as he ever did.
    Dear Pluran!
    Thank you for the info!!!

I believe you, for sure, but I need some hard facts
    Do you have any links or citations of Sheldrake or Polge to prove those excellent news?
    (seems to me Chanel would not allow that sort of freedom even for brilliant perfumer who Chris definitely is)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Dear Pluran!

Do you have any links or citations of Sheldrake or Polge to prove those excellent news?
    (seems to me Chanel would not allow that sort of freedom even for brilliant perfumer who Chris definitely is)
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing too. However, if this really is the case, that's great news.

I've also just realised that my favourite SL releases came out roughly three years after each other (with the obvious exception of Arabie and Chergui). So, based on this 'trend', I may have to wait until 2009 for a new SL that blows me away...
    Last edited by Trebor; 14th January 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Great info..thanks!

As soon as I heard that name, I knew it would be in the export range. They're always released in pairs, right? I wonder what the exlusive will be called? I hope its not "3:30 Trying to find a Cab After The Moulin Rouge"...

Dear Pluran!

Well, I don't have a citation of Sheldrake or Polge, but apparently it was said by Serge Lutens while being interviewed by Marie-Dominique Lelièvre for the French L'Express magazine, published on 16th February 2006. You'll find it on the second page, half-way down:

http://www.lexpress.fr/mag/tentation...ida=436965&p=1

The name *is* fairly corny, but not mysterious: Le 'Five o' clock' means 'Afternoon tea'. A certain class of French people (I am French so don't accuse me of bashing the French, OK?) are snobs who adore everything British. They dress from head to foot in Burberry's, etc. and buy food in M&S. LOL! The number of English words and phrases in common French parlance these days is staggering (just look at any copy of ELLE magazine, for instance), but 'Five o' clock' has been in use for ages.

I too believe Chris Sheldrake still works with Serge Lutens.

Didn't Sarrasins & Louve come out after the Chanel exclusifs? Meaning Sheldrake would still be creating for Lutens?

Rousse started to bore me very soon. Like Trebor, I no longer feel very excited about how the line is developing (namely not). I have my sights set on some Borneo, Encens et Lavande or Santal de Mysore, now that twizzles my schnizzle, as Serge Doggy Dogg likes to say.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Dependent

Serge Lutens will release a new perfume in March of 2008 called Five O' Clock Au Gingembre. It is said to be a study on the sensation of preciousness, conjuring up the vision of a black Rolls Royce slowly driving in a wintry landscape. The jus is described as a smoky and lightly peppery composition with notes of candied ginger, patchouli, bergamote, honey, pepper, and dark cocoa.
    A 50 ml flacon of Eau de Parfum will retail for 73 €.

(via Duftarchiv.de)

copied from a blog
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 14th January 2008 at 05:41 PM.

Serge Lutens is so intellectually refreshing and challenging, this fragrance is another homage to "perfume creations linked to civilisations", the imagery here is a cross between British luxury and mythical Orient with a humoristic twist, Five O' Clock au Gingembre is this frenglish ludicrous name that purposely doesn 't want to be taken seriously, maybe another homage to classic british humor.
    on the olfactory level, I both love Rousse and Un Bois Sepia, this should be working for me!
    Last edited by lécythiophile; 15th January 2008 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks a lot, Lady_in_Black, for useful link and citation!

That cit is fast relief for me! I can relax now...
    The only thing that bothers me - is date of interview - Feb 2006. Christopher moved to Chanel much later...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

The only thing that bothers me - is date of interview - Feb 2006. Christopher moved to Chanel much later...
    As has been mentioned before, Sheldrake was loaned to Chanel to imbue Jacques Polge (Chanel's nose) with fresh perfumery ideas. Sheldrake is still Lutens primary nose.
    -

Actually yes, his move was effective toward the end of 2006, but Chanel announced it in January 2006. Moreover, Lutens wouldn't have gone public with such news if they weren't correct, IMO...I think you can rest assured!

At least I won't have to wonder what time to use it. I wish other Serge Lutens scents came with instructions as well.

Banned

Over at Scented Salamander they had an interview with Mr. Lutens himself - discussing this new fragrance.

Here is the link - http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...s_pa.html#more

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Over at Scented Salamander they had an interview with Mr. Lutens himself - discussing this new fragrance.

Here is the link - http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...s_pa.html#more

I wish his answers weren't so vague...he seemed very uninterseted in his responses.

Either way...congrats to Helene for snagging an interview with Lutens! I imagine that would be quite the feat!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I wish his answers weren't so vague...he seemed very uninterseted in his responses.

Either way...congrats to Helene for snagging an interview with Lutens! I imagine that would be quite the feat!
    Very vague replies.. he couldn't even give us his top 5 flavors!

I wish the interview focused more on the fragrance, than what is "luxury". Who cares!?! From what he did say about Five O’ Clock Au Gingembre, it is more of a candied ginger than the raw material surrounded.

I love how this thread caused so many basenoters to perk up and take note ~ I even imagined a few eye-popping faces as I read through the posts!!! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Very vague replies.. he couldn't even give us his top 5 flavors!

I wish the interview focused more on the fragrance, than what is "luxury". Who cares!?! From what he did say about Five O’ Clock Au Gingembre, it is more of a candied ginger than the raw material surrounded.
    The word "candied" makes me cringe...I was hoping the export line would get something else for once...enough with the candied! I am, however, intrigued by his comment about the exclusive coming out.

Well "candied" is a main SL theme, isn't it? A majority of SL's are gourmand or close to being gourmand, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Well "candied" is a main SL theme, isn't it? A majority of SL's are gourmand or close to being gourmand, aren't they?
    Oh totally, I was just hoping for a departure from the norm is all.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Candied and luxury.

Its about sitting on a throne made of dried dates molded with crystallized syrup while wearing a fruit basket as a crown.

If you don't understand what I just said, then you are probably a commoner and shouldn't wear these prized Lutens...
    -

Lutens = Decadence & Luxury!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Candied and luxury.

Its about sitting on a throne made of dried dates molded with crystallized syrup while wearing a fruit basket as a crown.

If you don't understand what I just said, then you are probably a commoner and shouldn't wear these prized Lutens...
    tee hee hee

A very evasive interviewee, to be sure; he and Bob Dylan must have gone to the same school.

He only seemed interested when talking about the process of naming his fragrances.

I have been surprised to find that the exports I have tried are not cloying, for all the talk of candied this and honeyed that. The sweetness seems rather light and transparent to me.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Dependent

I would not be at all surprised if Serge interviewed himself.

Basenotes Institution

Breezing past that extremely 'artistic' interview of Mr. Lutens...I'm still excited about the new fragrance. Candied ginger is an edible treat I really enjoy and I'm eager to see how it will be interpreted as a scent.