Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Incense, the New Wave!

It seems that fruity-florals may finally be making room for some new olfactory families. I've been really pleased to see many incense-noted frags released recently, and not just in niche, either (though mostly they have been from smaller houses). Dzongkha's one of my favorites, what have you all been finding that's come out in the past year or two?

Default Re: Incense, the New Wave!

Encens Mystic, a solid fragrance from Crazylibellule and the Poppies, is a very nice cheapie scent. Listed notes are: clove, cedar, incense, myrrh, benzoin, musk, patchouli and vanilla. I'm not a huge patchouli fan, and I don't notice it in this. What stands out during each phase is clove among the top notes, church incense in the heart, and benzoin and cedar in the base. It doesn't have much sillage, but it will be subtly noticeable if you put enough on. Good longevity, and pretty unisex. It works very well for layering, too. It's too warm outside to wear it now, but I hope it will keep until next autumn!

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO I think incense is a little older than a few years in perfumery. Or perhaps it's just that the perfumes I've recently discovered- as to me incense is a relatively new love as well- are older than a couple years.

I got on the incense kick a couple winters ago and fell head-over heels for the idea and the odors. My absolute, ultimate incense is Norma Kamali Incense. It gets a lot of negative reviews because people don't seem to understand how to use it. It's terribly potent and needs barely a toothpick amount applied on a pulse point. It's also great for layering under vanilla Orientals and lush florals to give them an incense edge. I also love it with the Etro line.

I've tried the CdG Incense line and some are very pleasant, but to me they all pale in comparison to NK Incense. I know a lot of others love this line though and I do think it's also a chemistry thing with me because I've yet to find a CdG that I really, really love enough to wear.

Creed's Angelique Encens is another love and like I said I love some of the Etro fragrances. Messe de Minuit and Shaal Nur are both laced with incense to me. Shalimar is the ultimate, smoky, vanilla incense fragrance in my book. I think all of these have been around for some time.

Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain is more recent I guess. This one has some incense going on- I've gotten nice comments from this one, especially when I layer it with NK Incense. He has a new one coming out at the end of March- Incense Rosé that is absolutely knock-your-socks-off gorgeous! A drier rose with lots of earth and incense. I can hardly wait for that one!

I know there are a lot of others that I don't wear. If you're right and this incense is indeed a "new trend" I'm certainly all the happier for it!
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Post Thanks / Like

Les Exclusifs Collection: Chanel No 22 is a white floral with incense notes.
    Last edited by beachroses; 13th January 2008 at 07:24 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey View Post
    IMHO I think incense is a little older than a few years in perfumery. Or perhaps it's just that the perfumes I've recently discovered- as to me incense is a relatively new love as well- are older than a couple years.

I got on the incense kick a couple winters ago and fell head-over heels for the idea and the odors. My absolute, ultimate incense is Norma Kamali Incense. It gets a lot of negative reviews because people don't seem to understand how to use it. It's terribly potent and needs barely a toothpick amount applied on a pulse point. It's also great for layering under vanilla Orientals and lush florals to give them an incense edge. I also love it with the Etro line.
    I agree - incense has been around for quite some time. The soon-to-be-classic Incense Series by Comme des Garcons came out in '02...six years ago.

Thanks for the advice on the application of the Norma Kamali incense. I usually spray it on and just like you said, even ONE SPRAY is a little too much. Perhaps I will decant it into a splash bottle where I can apply a drop and layer it with my soliflores (A La Nuit and Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge, Neroli by L'Ocitane). I imagine the combo will be quite nice. All alone the Norma Kamali is quite suffocating.

Off-Scenter

I agree with Mike that the CdG incense series may mark the first move toward commercial penetration for modern incense fragrances. Meanwhile, the last few years have seen a bumper crop of outstanding incense compositions in the niche market. Just think of Dzongkha, L'Homme Sage, Cardinal, Black Tourmaline, Dia, Jubilation XXV, Pomegranate Noir, Messe de Minuit, Pasage d'Enfer, and Citta di Kyoto, to name just a few.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 13th January 2008 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks for the advice on the application of the Norma Kamali incense. I usually spray it on and just like you said, even ONE SPRAY is a little too much. Perhaps I will decant it into a splash bottle where I can apply a drop and layer it with my soliflores (A La Nuit and Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge, Neroli by L'Ocitane). I imagine the combo will be quite nice. All alone the Norma Kamali is quite suffocating.
    Happy to help- I hope this really works for you. If you find any particularly stellar NK Incense combos, I'd love to hear about them. Always looking for new, creative ways to layer!
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Post Thanks / Like

I know my favourite incense isn't especially chic or new, but I've loved it for yonks, even before I got into perfume - it's YSL Nu. It's along the Black Cashmere line, but a bit sweeter. I love it in winter.

But I'm now branching out and discovering more incense frags. It's a great category. I haven't looked at many yet - been too busy exploring Iris and Leather notes (and getting distracted by a few gourmands) but I've loved my little decant of Passage d'Enfer and have been astonished by the dryness of the Ava Luxe samples I've tried.

I have a question regarding this category - would you class a spicy and slightly smoky fragrance like Caron's Coup de Fouet (Poivre in EDT) as verging on an incense?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I've long loved Black Cashmere, but only VERY recently discovered Cardinal by Heeley.

High Mass -- I kid you not. This is the smell of High Mass. And I love it. (And I'm a secularist!)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I've long loved Black Cashmere, but only VERY recently discovered Cardinal by Heeley.

High Mass -- I kid you not. This is the smell of High Mass. And I love it. (And I'm a secularist!)
    I'm curious about this fragrance: how does it compare to Avignon?

I love what Joe_Frances wrote on luckyscent.com, I agree with him:

Cardinal is a fantastic fragrance! While Avignon is darker and stronger, this is a tad lighter, as if sunlight were streaming through cathedral stained glass windows, and the smoke were lifting higher into the light. While it is close to liturgy in a bottle, as someone else said about Avignon, it also has lighter elements, light citrus notes and maybe a hint of leather (hymnal bindings?). Probably the greatest Catholic/Anglican incense fragrance to date. John Henry Cardinal Newman would be proud.

Rating: *****
    Joe F. -Atty. from NYC
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 14th January 2008 at 07:02 PM.

True dat. It's not so buoyant as Villoresi's Incensi, no, but not so somber as Comme des Garçons' Avignon. It is, IMHO, the perfect frankincense-based incense clone out there. If you DON'T like the smell of an old fashioned Roman High Mass, then avoid Cardinal altogether. If you like that smell, though, (as I do) then by all means snag yourself a bottle.

If myrrh is more your thing, well, the closest I've yet come to a MYRRH-based incense is Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides.
    (n.b.: This luminous, sweet myrrh-heavy frag is, ounce for ounce, one of the best buys on luckyscent.com.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 14th January 2008 at 07:08 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Oh I like Cardinal too. I think it's rather warmer and woodier than Avignon. Avignon is a little more smoky and austere, but Cardinal has a nice soapy quality (reminds me of Badedas bath products for some reason).

I also second Imperial Opoponax - best place to buy for Europeans is http://www.olivolga.com/ - a resinous, sweet, vanilla-opoponax blend for a bargin price.
    Last edited by Leontion; 14th January 2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have any of you tried MONK by Michael Storer? It's been reformulated as a darker EDP
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Post Thanks / Like

A lovely floral scent with incense notes is Eau de Lotus Bleu by Roger & Gallet(called in English"Blue Lotus Fragrant Water)

Top notes: mandarin, bergamot, neroli, orange
    Heart: blue lotus, orange blossom
    Base: musk, sandalwood, patchouli, incense, vanilla

A big oriental one: Obsession by Calvin Klein

Top notes: bergamot, green notes, basilic, mandarin
    Heart notes: jasmine, orange blossom, coriander, sandalwood
    Base notes: vanilla, amber, incense, vetiver

I love too Magie Noire by Lancôme (oriental chypre)

Top Notes: Hyacinth, cassie, bergamot, raspberry, galbanum
    Heart Notes: Jasmine, ylang-ylang, Bulgarian rose, lily of the valley, narcissus, honey, tuberose, orris
    Base Notes: Spices, sandalwood, ambergris, cedarwood, patchouli, oakmoss, musk, civet
    --------------------------------------
    I've thought also of other famous orientals: Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

Top notes: orange, mandarin, clove
    Heart notes: rose, cinnamon, carnation
    Base: patchouli, incense, sandalwood, vanilla

And Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Top notes: cinnamon, pepper, orange
    Heart: carnation, jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang
    Base notes: vanilla, benzoin, patchouli, oppoponax
    Last edited by Valnum; 17th January 2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

My favourite incense scent is Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens.
    It has a very calming, centering presence. Feels like a deep purple
    robe to my nose - but I'm weird when it comes to visualising
    perfumes!