Code of Conduct

Default To Those of You Who Keep Your Boxes...

I'd be interested in amassing ingredient information as listed on the fragrance boxes. It wouldn't be foolproof in figuring out reformulations, dates of production and the like, but it may give us greater collective insight into why we smell what we smell, esp. since many of us are fans of Dr. Turin and Chandler Burr's work in detailing the scientific side of fragrance.

Obviously, a fragrance whose ingredients are listed solely as alcohol, water, fragrance (really now?) and various dyes won't be very useful here, though maybe if someone has allergies to these dyes it may serve some purpose. Just thinking aloud here - any ideas, improvements, comments or criticisms are always welcome.

I wish I'd kept more of my boxes, but here are mine thus far and what they list:

Eau D'Hermes: Alcohol Denat; Water (Aqua); Fragrance (Parfum); Butylphenyl Methylpropional; Cinnamal; Cinnamyl Alcohol; Citral; Citronellol; Coumarin; Eugenol; Geraniol; Limonene; Linalool.

Eau Sauvage: Alcohol; Aqua (Water); Parfum (Fragrance); Linalool; Limonene; Citral; Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone; Hexyl Cinnamal; Eugenol; Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract; Geraniol; Coumarin; Cinnamyl Alcohol; Hydroxycitronellal; Citronellol.

Grey Flannel: Alcohol Denat., Water/Aqua/Eau, Parfum/Fragrance, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Anise Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Farnesol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool.*

I'll make a similar post in the Female Fragrance Discussion Board, as I own and wear some "women's" frags as well.

* - I found this listing a bit odd since many of the ingredients seem to be named alphabetically, and I'm skeptical as to whether these ingredients were in fact added in the proportions indicated (I was taught, hopefully rightly, that ingredients are always listed from most to least amount). I'm hardly an expert so it's possible but is it probable? I don't know, I suppose it could be a legal loophole of some sort too. Perhaps someone with a greater knowledge of chemistry and/or the law can shed more light on this.
    --------------------------------------
    Actually, Eau D'Hermes has a similarly alphabetical listing too, everything except for water from what I saw. Interesting...
    --------------------------------------
    Now I'm just embarrassing myself...water and fragrance. There.

Now I'll let others have the floor. *Sheepishly saunters away from the podium...*
    Last edited by randumbsmellyguy; 13th January 2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Default Re: To Those of You Who Keep Your Boxes...

Knize Ten: Alcohol denat. (SD Alcohol 39-C), Acqua ( Water ), Parfum ( Fragrance ), Benzyl Alcohol, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Coumarin, Geraniol, Benzyl Cinnamate, Farnesol, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Benzoic Acid, Methyl Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, C.I. 47000 (Yellow 11), 3-Benzylidene Camphor.

Apologies for any typos; this isn't a subject I can use the spell check on!

Sometimes I look at these lists as kind of a perfumers' cheat-sheet when trying to figure out just what is in the scent-- so I can try to create something similar to it.

I was shocked to see how minimal Creed's Virgin Island Water is: Denatured alcohol, Water, Parfum, Coumarin, Limonene, Butyl Phenyl Methylproprional -- there's not even any citral or linalool in it!

Silver Mountain Water is, besides alcohol, water and parfum: Methyl 2-Octynoate, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylproprional, and Citronellol

Same thing. So I wonder what IS in these.

When I got my bottle of Creed's Vetiver '48, right away I smelled a very prominent Alpha Isomethyl Ionone note in it-- like buttery ashtray (that's how it smells), and sure enough when I looked at the ingredients, there it was. It's listed last on the list of ingredients, but its the first thing I smelled-- but it's probably the easiest aromachemical for me to detect.

Are the listings on the bottle/package really anything to go by or is it just something there to appease the standards set forth by the government?
    I was really under the impression that these listings were no real indication of what a scent is really comprised of.

Eric

Yeah, I have a suspicion that the chemicals listed are there because they have to be listed to meet regulations or for potential allergy information. I also don't know if it necessarily indicates that the chemicals listed were added directly or are are constituent to an essential oil (for instance, limonene may be listed but it could be due to the fact that orange oil was used). Again, it's just a hunch, so it'd be nice if an "insider" could help us out with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    Yeah, I have a suspicion that the chemicals listed are there because they have to be listed to meet regulations or for potential allergy information. I also don't know if it necessarily indicates that the chemicals listed were added directly or are are constituent to an essential oil (for instance, limonene may be listed but it could be due to the fact that orange oil was used). Again, it's just a hunch, so it'd be nice if an "insider" could help us out with this one.
    They could be either a constituent or an additive I think-- but if one were to know all the constituents of a raw material, one might be able to figure at least some things out by process of elimination. They might know what ISN'T in a particular scent. And to some degree, what IS.

I've always wondered about these ingredients on fragrances too. Howcome you never see "notes" as ingredients in fragrances? Why dont you ever see rose, LOTV, leather, ylang ylang, sea breeze, etc etc etc.
    Awesomeguy