Code of Conduct

Question Classy Office Scent

I am looking for a solid, classy scent with a bright spicy top and a warm musky/amber possible anise base.
    I have tried RL Polo, but it is too strong and too leathery and the base isn't smooth enough. Any suggestions? I am considering trying Paco Rabbanne pour Homme.

Default Re: Classy Office Scent

Not bad Paco Rabane,but this is my options:

*POLO CREST
    *CROWN SPICED LIMES
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Cartier Must Pour Homme Essence

Off-Scenter

I might suggest Chevalier d'Orsay. It's not that easy to find, but it's not outrageously expensive either. Here's what I had to say about it when I tried it:
    "Chevalier opens with a marvelous blend of citrus, herbs, and lavender that soon makes room for very airy floral notes. The persistent herbal accord keeps the flowers from getting either stuffy or too sweet, and as some subtle spice emerges Chevaliers heart falls into perfect balance. The base of moss, amber, and wood is firm, yet light and clear, leaving the entire composition exquisitely poised and elegant. A cool, subtle pine note plays throughout, leaving an impression of aloof nobility.
    True to its name, Chevalier is sophisticated and refined. Its complex enough to hold interest, and confident enough that it never needs to shout. As foetidus points out, its also highly versatile, and would make a great scent for those who want to keep a limited wardrobe. The lasting power is quite reasonable, thanks to the lingering pine and amber in the base, and the moderate projection is just enough to be noticed but never offend a truly well composed and well executed scent. "
    Other sophisticated scents with office potential are Eau Sauvage, Knize Forest, Cartier Declaration, and Parfum d'Empire Iskander, though none have much amber. (Perceptible amber is a little tricky in an office setting. It tends to smell like sex.) Another good office option would be a sandalwood scent, though these do not usually have "bright" openings. Geo F. Trumper and Yardley make good sandalwoods, though the king of the hill is the costlier and harder to find Santal Noble from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. Spray-on sophistication with, yes, some well-blended amber in the base.

If you use it very sparingly Boucheron's Jaipur Homme EdP will give you all the warm woods and spice you could ask for, and the stuff practically reeks of elegant authority. It is really potent and can be cloying if you use too much, so I repeat, you'd need to use it sparingly.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 14th January 2008 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I am looking for a solid, classy scent with a bright spicy top and a warm musky/amber possible anise base.
    I have tried RL Polo, but it is too strong and too leathery and the base isn't smooth enough. Any suggestions? I am considering trying Paco Rabbanne pour Homme.
    Try Jaipur
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Basenotes Institution

Try Tom Ford for Men - personally I didn't like it, but your description sounds like you might enjoy this.

I have had good luck with Cartier Pasha. For some reason the sillage(? I think this is the right term) isn't too much for the office, and the scent works for me - and seems both classy and traditional, though not precisely the scents you talk about.

I have a sample of Masaki Mat:Very Male and while it smells very anise-like on the strip, when applied on me, it doesn't smell strongly of anise at all, so you may want to consider that. A lot of reviewers say it fades fast, but lasted on me all day and seemed somewhat complex - so I suppose you mileage may vary!

This is also my first post - what a great group!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 13th January 2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Corrected mistake about Masaki perfume
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

You describe Bvlgari Pour Homme. Classy, sharp spicy opening, subtle tea and white musk base. Maybe not WARM, bot otherwise exactly what you ask for.

A warmer frag that would also fit the description is Guerlain L'Instant.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Tiffany for Men
    Chevalier d'Orsay
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Thank you everyone for such fast and informative replies. Please keep the good suggestions coming.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    You describe Bvlgari Pour Homme. Classy, sharp spicy opening, subtle tea and white musk base. Maybe not WARM, bot otherwise exactly what you ask for.

A warmer frag that would also fit the description is Guerlain L'Instant.

Ged
    What do you think of the intense version?
    Last edited by bokaba; 13th January 2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Also, Route du The by Barney's New York
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Worth PH is a softer alternative to Paco R - perfect classy office scent
    another good one would be Romeo Gigli Sud Est

Kiton Men--perfect for the office!

Off-Scenter

Oops! I forgot Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Iris Bleu Gris. Ultrasophisticated, understated, yet authoritative. Nice warm amber in the base, but not too much.

Thank you everyone for such fast and informative replies. Please keep the good suggestions coming.
    --------------------------------------

What do you think of the intense version?
    Bvlgari Extreme or L'Instant EDP?

IMO Bvlgari Extreme is really quite similar to PH, but I've not tried it in enough detail to comment other than that brief impression. Suffice to say, I get excellent longevity out of the original. I have been studying Bvlgari Soir recently, and it too would fit your description, perhaps moreso with its woodier, warmer base? I like all 3 but my favourite is still the original.

I've not tried L'Instant EDP but would love to.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I agree wit Bvlgari PH.

Want to add Lagerfeld Man (2003) - hard to find and not terribly sophisticated but very good ofice scent which lasts long and is bright spicy.

Also Salvatore Ferragamo PH

Post Re: Classy Office Scent

Lalique pour Homme..( Lion ) EDT or EDP. Both Winners in a setting such as your describing.

boss bottled - no contest

Azzaro PH or Rive Gauche PH both have prominent anise notes. Not the most subtle frags, but both are unquestionably manly. Apply conservatively and they can work for the office.
    I get so overwhelmed ... by olfactory hues. ~ Phish