Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Vol de Nuit for Men

Hi Mr G,

I recently bought VdN EdC on ebay suffering a huge dose of buyers remorse soon after because there is
    so little written about the EdC fearing I may have bought a knock off or something. I have never smelt Vol de Nuit but I love
    Guerlain fragrances so much (Chamade, Mitsouko and Shalimar) and read so many wonderful reviews here. My purchase is yet to arrive and I have been trying to research cologne versus eau de toilette. I have since read that the EdC formulation was released 60s through 70s and early 80s and I am wondering why it is no longer available. Colognes are more widely recognised as befitting men's fragrances yes? (again, something I read recently). Was VdN cologne for men? Also, reading your post, you mention a 'herbal' quality which, I will admit, worries me slightly. In any case I cannot wait till my purchase arrives. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry, I do have a tendancy to ramble on.

Hi Mr G,

I recently bought VdN EdC on ebay suffering a huge dose of buyers remorse soon after because there is
    so little written about the EdC fearing I may have bought a knock off or something. I have never smelt Vol de Nuit but I love
    Guerlain fragrances so much (Chamade, Mitsouko and Shalimar) and read so many wonderful reviews here. My purchase is yet to arrive and I have been trying to research cologne versus eau de toilette. I have since read that the EdC formulation was released 60s through 70s and early 80s and I am wondering why it is no longer available. Colognes are more widely recognised as befitting men's fragrances yes? (again, something I read recently). Was VdN cologne for men? Also, reading your post, you mention a 'herbal' quality which, I will admit, worries me slightly. In any case I cannot wait till my purchase arrives. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry, I do have a tendency to ramble on.

Basenotes Institution

DonnaMaree, you might want to visit Mr. Guerlain's website to contact him, sometimes he misses posts/comments on Basenotes since he's not as active here as he was in the past.

I own and enjoy Vol de Nuit in the EdC formulation. It is preferable to the EdT (which I find too powdery) and don't let the Eau de Cologne fool you: It is not the 'masculine' version of the scent (there is no such thing) nor is it a 'light, fresh, splash-on-version' this juice is strongly scented and has a lot of presence, longevity, sillage. Of course, because all VdN EdC is vintage, some bottles have aged better than others, so your bottle on its way may (or may not) have as much 'oopmh' as mine. Still, because of the (now banned) ingredients in the vintage juice, there will be a subtle strength to it that is hard to describe but is very much evident.

The 'herbal' quality is not aromatic or pungent at all, it's soft, slightly crisp and very much in the style of many 'classic' Guerlains, in that it has a lot of Guerlinade.

Of course, if you love it, then I highly recommend you smell the parfum. It's fantastic.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much. Buying any fragrance on ebay is a bit of a gamble but I do feel more confident
    about my purchase now. I have read that the EdC bottle unscrews so that the contents can be tampered
    with but the box I have bought is sealed and wrapped so all should be fine. I will definitely seek out the parfum
    to at least have a sniff. Vol de Nuit is not readily available here however I will be travelling to New York
    and San Francisco with my daughter in November - I am sure to have an extensive "must sniff" list by then.
    Thanks once again.

Another great one for men is Mitousko EDT, the EDP wears a little too thick on me

I tried Vol de Nuit vintage extrait and thought it was the most beautiful thing I have ever smelled.

I absolutely love Shalimar, Jicky, etc...I love the way Guerlain does powdery.

Can definitely be worn by men if you also think Dior Homme can be worn by men.

Guerlain makes many scents marketed to one gender or the other. The gender of the scent is in the nose of the wearer.

Many are unisex, especially the older classics:

Shalimar
    Mitsouko
    Habit Rouge
    Vetiver
    Coriolan (now L'Ame d'un Heros)
    Jicky
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Vol de Nuit (of course!)
    Many of the Matiere line
    Apres l'Ondee
    L'Heure Bleue
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford