Code of Conduct

Default Vol de Nuit for Men

I would like to know if there are other men using this fragrance.... I have just bought it and I am pretty sure it is adequate, but it still has that powdery note that makes me insecure.

Do you think Vol de Nuit is appropriate for a 35 yo guy?

Default Re: Vol de Nuit for Men

Oh yes, indeed suitable for a man. It's one of those 'unisex' Guerlains together with Jicky and Après L'Ondée. Guerlain is famous for its powdery fragrances, also in masculine fragrances, like Habit Rouge.

If you like it, wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I would like to know if there are other men using this fragrance.... I have just bought it and I am pretty sure it is adequate, but it still has that powdery note that makes me insecure.Do you think Vol de Nuit is appropriate for a 35 yo guy?
    Trust your feelings, and you can't be wrong! You certainly also noticed that this is no perfume for every day, or at least not every hour of the day .
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

For whatever.
    Last edited by pluran; 26th April 2012 at 05:24 PM.

My favorite vintage Guerlain and a real love in my life.

Wear it with pride.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

I wear it.

Another wearer,here.

I have not tried the vintage,due to lack of opportunity. I would like to,but I'll settle for the modern version,which works very well for me.

This one you guys are wearing today--is it edt, edp (pdt), or extrait?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    EDT for me. Excellent development,feels very "comfortable",for me.

Thanks Latch. I'll probably pick some up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Vol de Nuit was never made as an PdT/EdP.

Basenotes Institution

Lucius - next time you're at Nordstrom's ask to smell the parfum version of Vol de Nuit: oakmoss, leather and amber...in spades. Very butch IMO.

I wear both the extrait and the EDT. Depends on my mood.

Vol de Nuit also has my favorite perfume bottle ever designed - I love it. Art Deco propeller in motion - its gorgeous.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Default Am I Crazy for Loving A Female Fragrance?

I just want to say that I love Shalimar and Vol de Nuit, and I don't care if people are going to call me a sissy for wearing them. These perfumes are truly beautiful. I don't feel like they were made for women.... I feel like they were made for me, like a customized product. They are just what I wanted, but couldn't get, from the male fragrances. (with the possible exception of Hammam Bouquet). I think they are the best perfumes in my collection, together with HB, Eau Sauvage and Chanel PM.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Lucius

Default Re: Am I Crazy for Loving A Female Fragrance?

Yeap. Prada Infusion d'Iris. Should be one of the best fragrances ever.

I just want to say that I love Shalimar.
    Lucius
    So do I!
    Now you need to get yourself a bottle of Shalimar Light, before all the bottles of this discontinued beauty are gone forever.

Ha!

I just finished responding to another thread in which I gave the following advice: if you like a so-called female fragrance, wear it!
    Two of my favorites are marketed to women: D&G Light Blue and SJP Lovely.
    So no, you're not crazy. Adults wear what they like. Besides, most of the "female" perfumes are actually better formulated than those marketed to men.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Default Re: Am I Crazy for Loving A Female Fragrance?---nope!

I just want to say that I love Shalimar and Vol de Nuit, and I don't care if people are going to call me a sissy for wearing them.
    Lucius
    sissy!

lol- sorry i had too.

if you like it then wear it! as simple as that. i am really wanting to try shalimar, kingdom, no19 and mitsouku. i am sure i will end up with one or more of them.

if some one asks you tell them with pride what you are wearing. you dont have to mention that it is 'usually' found at the womens counter.

cheers!
    ryan

Post Re: Am I Crazy for Loving A Female Fragrance?

No, wait till you try Bois des IIes....Chanel. One of the best drydowns I have ever experienced, bar none!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I, too, love Shalimar and Vol de Vuit. I have worn neither but I do have bottles of Mitsouko, Jicky and Caron's Tabac Blond. I would also probably wear Gres' Cabochard and Chanel's Coromandel. I would not wear a heavily floral perfume - just my preference - but anything else I would probably try.

the last 3 purchase i made were women's fragrance....
    i've been studying women's more than men's now...
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Gents,
    I've combined two threads into this one because the subject and answers are so similar. I apologize for all confusion.
    Thanks,
    --Chris

Thumbs up Re: Am I Crazy for Loving A Female Fragrance?

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Lucius
    Not at all.
    I've become quite interested in the classic Guerlains recently. I love L'Heure Bleue. I'm very interested in Vol de Nuit and Jicky, but have yet to smell them.

These are the female fragrances I love..and gets me lots of compliments from both men and women:

Guerlain - L'Heure Bleue
    Alexander McQueen - Kingdom
    Lolita Lempicka - L
    Prada - Prada (the original..the one without fruits or flowers)
    Gucci - Rush
    Michael Kors - Michael
    Fendi - Fendi
    Annayaki - Miyako
    Bond No.9 - Nuits de Noho

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I would like to know if there are other men using this fragrance.... I have just bought it and I am pretty sure it is adequate, but it still has that powdery note that makes me insecure.

Do you think Vol de Nuit is appropriate for a 35 yo guy?
    Yup. I wear it from time to time. I received a full ounce bottle of the pure perfume from a friend as a gift. It's one of the best Guerlains for men to wear, and not as powdery as some of the newer men's iris-based fragrances. For that matter, a lot of scents for men with benzoin in the base are fairly powdery, too, and it doesn't seem to bother people. If you don't like powdery, of course, it's best to stay away from all of these; but if you don't mind the powdery note, wear 'em all!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 24th January 2008 at 10:49 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I haven't tried Vol de nuit, but I admit I like Guerlain Shalimar but don't wear it because its too strongly associated with women.
    -

Last year I managed to acquire a quarter ounce of Vol de Nuit extrait on eBay - and it is really amazing stuff - probably my favorite of the small collection I now have of Guerlain extraits (along with Mitsouko, Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue - not to mention Jicky and Apres L'Ondee in EDT). If I understood him correctly in his blog in a section titled "Elle pour Lui", Luca Turin recommends that men wear this "lightly" - i.e. be careful not to overapply - for what that may be worth.
    Last edited by Delmar; 24th January 2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: misspelling

Overcome By Fumes

I wear Vol de Nuit also, rarely, the edt. I believe the parfum is a far superior formulation, richer and more balanced, but hey, the edt was easier to get.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    I wear Vol de Nuit also, rarely, the edt. I believe the parfum is a far superior formulation, richer and more balanced, but hey, the edt was easier to get.
    ...exactly, and also true for L'Heure Bleue.
    Last edited by narcus; 25th January 2008 at 08:11 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I don't think you can claim this in an objective way. I own all concentrations (extrait, EdT and EdC) of Vol de Nuit and like them all on their own - the EdC has a soft herbalness that is lovely and that the extrait doesn't have, and the EdT has a cooling powderiness that the extrait doesn't have either. For most of the classic Guerlains I think that the different concentrations have something unique to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post

Hi Mr G,

I recently bought VdN EdC on ebay suffering a huge dose of buyers remorse soon after because there is
    so little written about the EdC fearing I may have bought a knock off or something. I have never smelt Vol de Nuit but I love
    Guerlain fragrances so much (Chamade, Mitsouko and Shalimar) and read so many wonderful reviews here. My purchase is yet to arrive and I have been trying to research cologne versus eau de toilette. I have since read that the EdC formulation was released 60s through 70s and early 80s and I am wondering why it is no longer available. Colognes are more widely recognised as befitting men's fragrances yes? (again, something I read recently). Was VdN cologne for men? Also, reading your post, you mention a 'herbal' quality which, I will admit, worries me slightly. In any case I cannot wait till my purchase arrives. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry, I do have a tendancy to ramble on.

Hi Mr G,

I recently bought VdN EdC on ebay suffering a huge dose of buyers remorse soon after because there is
    so little written about the EdC fearing I may have bought a knock off or something. I have never smelt Vol de Nuit but I love
    Guerlain fragrances so much (Chamade, Mitsouko and Shalimar) and read so many wonderful reviews here. My purchase is yet to arrive and I have been trying to research cologne versus eau de toilette. I have since read that the EdC formulation was released 60s through 70s and early 80s and I am wondering why it is no longer available. Colognes are more widely recognised as befitting men's fragrances yes? (again, something I read recently). Was VdN cologne for men? Also, reading your post, you mention a 'herbal' quality which, I will admit, worries me slightly. In any case I cannot wait till my purchase arrives. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry, I do have a tendency to ramble on.

Basenotes Institution

DonnaMaree, you might want to visit Mr. Guerlain's website to contact him, sometimes he misses posts/comments on Basenotes since he's not as active here as he was in the past.

I own and enjoy Vol de Nuit in the EdC formulation. It is preferable to the EdT (which I find too powdery) and don't let the Eau de Cologne fool you: It is not the 'masculine' version of the scent (there is no such thing) nor is it a 'light, fresh, splash-on-version' this juice is strongly scented and has a lot of presence, longevity, sillage. Of course, because all VdN EdC is vintage, some bottles have aged better than others, so your bottle on its way may (or may not) have as much 'oopmh' as mine. Still, because of the (now banned) ingredients in the vintage juice, there will be a subtle strength to it that is hard to describe but is very much evident.

The 'herbal' quality is not aromatic or pungent at all, it's soft, slightly crisp and very much in the style of many 'classic' Guerlains, in that it has a lot of Guerlinade.

Of course, if you love it, then I highly recommend you smell the parfum. It's fantastic.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much. Buying any fragrance on ebay is a bit of a gamble but I do feel more confident
    about my purchase now. I have read that the EdC bottle unscrews so that the contents can be tampered
    with but the box I have bought is sealed and wrapped so all should be fine. I will definitely seek out the parfum
    to at least have a sniff. Vol de Nuit is not readily available here however I will be travelling to New York
    and San Francisco with my daughter in November - I am sure to have an extensive "must sniff" list by then.
    Thanks once again.

Another great one for men is Mitousko EDT, the EDP wears a little too thick on me

I tried Vol de Nuit vintage extrait and thought it was the most beautiful thing I have ever smelled.

I absolutely love Shalimar, Jicky, etc...I love the way Guerlain does powdery.

Can definitely be worn by men if you also think Dior Homme can be worn by men.

Guerlain makes many scents marketed to one gender or the other. The gender of the scent is in the nose of the wearer.

Many are unisex, especially the older classics:

Shalimar
    Mitsouko
    Habit Rouge
    Vetiver
    Coriolan (now L'Ame d'un Heros)
    Jicky
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Vol de Nuit (of course!)
    Many of the Matiere line
    Apres l'Ondee
    L'Heure Bleue
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.