Code of Conduct

Question To Shake or not to Shake

I have a nice fragrance collection that recently endured a cold day in southern California. I noticed that some of them smelled flat for awhile after that. I decided to experiment by shaking them and it seemed to bring them back to life. Does shaking help, or change the scent or was this my imagination? Also does cold weather affect the scent?

Found this on the internet. Is it true?

Q: Help! My fragrance arrived with floating crystals in it! What do I do? Is it ruined?
    A: No, your fragrance is not ruined. When fragrances get cold, some of the components can get cold and freeze, just like ice. Simply heat the fragrance up slowly in a double boiler, with the lid off, until the ice-like chunks disappear. Place the lid on your fragrance and shake well. You can heat the fragrance up in the microwave, without the lid on, on short 20-second bursts as well.

Default Re: To Shake or not to Shake

This is a joke right?

Occasionally Ive seen crystals forming in my Eau d'Orange Verte, but not specifically because of cold weather.They come and go as they please.
    I dont think shaking a scent will harm or "bruise" the perfume in any way, but I just KNOW advising people to microwave their fragrances in an irresponsible manner such as your internet source suggests will not only harm the scent, but quite possibly cause a housefire because of metallic components in the atomizer, not to mention the volatility of its high alcoholic content.

So, shake (if you must), but dont nuke!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 14th January 2008 at 09:32 AM.

Heating up a fragrance? Bad idea.

Really bad.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by Livinggood View Post
    recently endured a cold day in southern California.

Cold day in Southern California = 70 degrees Fahrenheit? :P

Seriously though, it's not frozen. The freezing point of alcohol and/or water would have to be reached and sustained before any freezing would occur. Remember -- heat is molecules in motion, and it dissipates from areas of high concentration, to areas of low concentration. Unless you flash-froze it, it's not very likely it was frozen.

That`s an answer that could ruine your kitchen by your perfume

I have a very old bottle with cristalline flakes - and have no worries. It happens.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Would you shake 'n bake a fine wine? Of course not! Heat acclereates chemical reactions, which you definitely do not want to encourage. Shaking accelerates oxidation by bringing more of the liquid into contact with air.

Just let it sit at room temperature and see what happens. It may take a while, but it's better than forcing the decomposition of the ingredients through manhandling.

"We had to destroy the perfume in order to save it."
    Last edited by Snafoo; 14th January 2008 at 02:47 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

finally - we have a hot new topic !
    Last edited by narcus; 18th January 2008 at 09:23 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Livinggood View Post
    I have a nice fragrance collection that recently endured a cold day in southern California. I noticed that some of them smelled flat for awhile after that. I decided to experiment by shaking them and it seemed to bring them back to life. Does shaking help, or change the scent or was this my imagination? Also does cold weather affect the scent?

Found this on the internet. Is it true?

Q: Help! My fragrance arrived with floating crystals in it! What do I do? Is it ruined?
    A: No, your fragrance is not ruined. When fragrances get cold, some of the components can get cold and freeze, just like ice. Simply heat the fragrance up slowly in a double boiler, with the lid off, until the ice-like chunks disappear. Place the lid on your fragrance and shake well. You can heat the fragrance up in the microwave, without the lid on, on short 20-second bursts as well.
    Please forgive me if you're serious but this is the funniest post i've seen here in a while. It truly made me LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Would you shake 'n bake a fine wine? Of course not! Heat acclereates chemical reactions, which you definitely do not want to encourage. Shaking accelerates oxidation by bringing more of the liquid into contact with air.

Just let it sit at room temperature and see what happens. It may take a while, but it's better than forcing the decomposition of the ingredients through manhandling.

Ditto. Totally.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 14th January 2008 at 05:03 PM.

Off-Scenter

Never ever shake or heat your fragrances!

Exposure to more oxygen than necessary could conceivably alter some of the more complex or unstable scent molecules and shorten the life of your fragrance. Repeated shaking before opening the bottle may also be release a disproportionate number of the more volatile compounds (top notes), and over time this could subtly alter the fragrance's composition.

Heat? That's far, far worse. Heat will drive off volatile scent molecules and break down or denature others. Bad. Very, very bad.

Whoever posted that advice on the web ought to be exposed in public, naked except for an entire bottle of Secretions Magnifiques.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 14th January 2008 at 05:10 PM.

Do we need more votes supporting that heating the scent is very bad idea? If so, I am in!

Advice for the newbies:

It is not a good idea to:

Shake your fragrance
    Microwave, steam, boil, or use as a substitute for lighter fluid.
    Freeze it.
    Use it as mouth wash.
    Spray it in the eyes.
    Spray it in soups and salads.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

“shaken, not stirred” (James Bond)

I'll take mine at room temperature sprayed or splashed.

/puts frag bottle in ze microwave

pow... BANG.. POW

Seriously though... listen to the wise men on here

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    finally - we have a new topic !
    LOL

Seriously though, while I am certainly not a chemist or otherwise qualified to comment (not that that has stopped me before!), I can see where the differing molecular weight of each component in a fragrance might cause the blend to separate somewhat.

Sometimes, I will turn a closed bottle over and back a few times.

But that is as aggressive as I get - no shaking and certainly no heating (do not try this - it's a very dangerous suggestion)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    Cold day in Southern California = 70 degrees Fahrenheit? :P

Seriously though, it's not frozen. The freezing point of alcohol and/or water would have to be reached and sustained before any freezing would occur. Remember -- heat is molecules in motion, and it dissipates from areas of high concentration, to areas of low concentration. Unless you flash-froze it, it's not very likely it was frozen.

Once the liquid hits freezing temperature it starts to freeze straight away.

It's not the concentration of the molecules in motion that dissipates mate, it's the energy that the faster molecules transfer through collisions with the other molecules.

I don't think we're all that knowledgeable to comment, but I favour what everyone else says. I definately wouldn't heat my fragrances. But shaking? I'm not sure.

I don't think shaking will do much harm.

I'm pretty certain they don't take special measures to reduce shaking when transported.
    Only things that can turn perfume are light and heat.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I don't think shaking will do much harm.

I'm pretty certain they don't take special measures to reduce shaking when transported.
    Only things that can turn perfume are light and heat.
    I spent the better portion of my career analyzing environmental samples for volatile organic compounds - the bad ones like benzene, acrylonitrile, and such. The standard procedure was to bubble air through a sample to release the volatiles.. Much like shaking does. In fact, it was critical when preparing standards to do everything possible to prevent shaking so as not to lose the chemicals before they could be analyzed. Perfumes aren't as delicate because most of the chemicals aren't as volatile as those I worked with, and they're in a closed container, but still...
    I say Be Gentle. What's that poor bottle of perfume done to you, anyway?
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    finally - we have a new topic !
    What? You don't like the old standby questions? Choose one from each group:

I'm a
    • college/high school/kindergarden student
    • professional businessman
    • United Nations ambassador
    • dirty old man
    looking for a frangrance that is
    • gentlemanly
    • brutish
    • fresh
    • stale
    • mature
    • immature
    • discreet
    • rude
    to wear to
    • a club with lots of hot chicks
    • a job interview with Donald Trump
    • an inquisition
    • my interrment
    Last edited by Snafoo; 14th January 2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

What? You don't like the old standby questions? Choose one from each group:

I'm a
    • college/high school/kindergarden student
    • professional businessman
    • United Nations ambassador
    • dirty old man
    looking for a frangrance that is
    • gentlemanly
    • brutish
    • fresh
    • stale
    • mature
    • immature
    • discreet
    • rude
    to wear to
    • a club with lots of hot chicks
    • a job interview with Donald Trump
    • an inquisition
    • my interrment
    You should expand this and start a separate thread!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Yeah right.

Last time I checked, the vaporizers are all made of metal. And metal, just like pets, should NEVER NEVER NEVER be placed into a microwave oven.

See here why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCVmSKS_LRw

The original source is this, btw: http://www.brambleberry.com/fragrancequest.html
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 14th January 2008 at 11:51 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    You should expand this and start a separate thread!

Your wish has already been realized! See tvlampboy's new thread, "Sh*ts and Giggles". It's a hoot!

Need to go along with what Snafoo and others have said. No shake and no heat. The threads that talk about keeping fragrances out of the sunlight and those that talk about coolers to keep the fragrances in should be a sign that heat is an enemy.

I never thought about this but it seems to make perfect sense. I would always shake my frags if i thought they had sat to long thinking that it caused some of the ingredients to settle at the bottom.

Many people keep their collection in a cool refrigerator to preserve them for the future. I imagine that temp is cooler than your cold day in southern Cali. Anyway, I doubt the inside of your house got anywhere close to as cold as it was outside (assuming your fragrances were in your house). Just let them warm up to room temp and your good.

Welcome to Basenotes! Sorry if some posters might have come off as condescending, but really...they're just shocked. Really, why take someone who advises you to microwave metal seriously? lol
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Ok, I'm currently microwaving my Vintage Tabarome on the popcorn setting. It's been about twenty minutes, is that enough? While I'm waiting, I'm going to place my Clive Christian travel set in the broiler. Thanks so much for these handy tips!