Code of Conduct

Default Deodorants that has Aluminum. Are they toxic?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this.

I just read this on Wikipedia on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodora..._neurotoxicity
    Aluminum has been established as a neurotoxin.[15] Aluminum chloride, an aluminum salt that is commonly used in antiperspirants, is also commonly used in studies on aluminum-induced neurotoxicity.[16][17][18][19][20] Aluminum itself adversely affects the blood-brain barrier, is capable of causing DNA damage, and has adverse epigenetic effects.[21][22] Research has shown that the aluminum salts used in antiperspirants have detrimental effects to a number of species such as non-human primates,[23] mice,[24] dogs[25] and others. An increased amount of aluminum is also present in the brains of many Alzheimer's patients, although this link does not currently seem to be causal.[disputed][26][27][28]

An experiment with mice found that applying an aqueous solution of aluminum chloride to the skin resulted in "a significant increase in urine, serum, and whole brain aluminum."[29] Other experiments on pregnant mice showed transplacental passage of aluminum chloride.[24]
    Also this, on the Rexona page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rexona#Aluminum_Zirconium
    A main active ingredient used in Rexona deodorants is Aluminium Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Gly. ([1]) The effects of aluminium entering the body from deodorants are unknown. Scientists have discovered aluminium traces in the brain to be associated with the same neurological damage of Alzheimer's Disease. More studies need to be conducted to explore the role of high aluminum concentrations in other parts of the body. No conclusive links have been scientifically determined between aluminium from deodorants and breast cancer. However, scientific research has uncovered the unexplained and disporportionate occurrence of breast cancer in the upper outer quadrants of breast tissue, the same area to which deodorant products are applied.
    I checked my deodorants and they both contain Aluminum, but I guess I have to quit them now.
    What do you guys think?

Default Re: Deodorants that has Aluminum. Are they toxic?

Since there's no conclusive evidence, arguments can sway either way on this issue. I just play it safe and only use an anti-perspirant with the aluminum when absolutely necessary (for an important interview or that kind of thing) and a milder deodorant without the aluminum the rest of the time.

I try to play it safe as much as I can, and wear Thai crystal in the winter and casually in the other seasons, saving antiperspirants for when I am wearing something dry clean only or to work in the summer. I find that even unscented antipersperants leave a bit of scented residue that interfears with my perfume. I really like the crystal much better.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I cannot say if antiperspirants are toxic or not. However, what I can say is that Tom's of Maine makes a great unscented deodorant that is 100% natural. I was skeptical about how well this stuff would work at first, but it is very effective as a deodorant. I use this, because it works and the unscented formula will not blend with whatever fragrance I am wearing. I only use antiperspirants if I really need them, such as getting dressed up in a suit or tuxedo.

If you want to reduce your exposure to chemicals, why not give a stick of Tom's of Maine Unscented a try?

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/prod...5Fid=BW%2DLLDS
    If something stinks, it's probably me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this.

I just read this on Wikipedia on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodora..._neurotoxicity

Also this, on the Rexona page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rexona#Aluminum_Zirconium

I checked my deodorants and they both contain Aluminum, but I guess I have to quit them now.
    What do you guys think?
    Oh, sweet Christ. Do you know who writes Wikipedia? Anybody can write anything on Wikipedia. The community tries to fact-check, but it's not necessarily 100% written by scholars. I have read those studies, and I also used to work at a health food store full of paranoid people who wore non-aluminum zirconium deodorant. I do not think it's a problem to use deodorants containing aluminum zirconium.

If it makes you feel better to switch, then go ahead. There are tons of choices out there. I am getting sick of the "but it was on the internet/email, so it must be true" phenomenon. I have read dozens of paranoid emails that are being circulated (some claiming that tampon manufacturers put fiberglass in tampons, for example, which is blatantly untrue). At worst, the internet is a huge source of fearmongering and blatant lies. At best, the internet contains some good information, but you have to be selective about what you choose to believe and what you choose to concern yourself with.

People have different triggers and can get worked up about crazy stuff, so if it makes you feel better then by all means switch.

You could probably go to snopes.com and find out about this because its one of those rumour things that appears every year or two in your email box that I quickly delete. Very few things can actually pass the blood brain barrier by the way.
    --------------------------------------
    BTW if you want you can do a search on toxins in perfumes and get yourself all freaked out about that too....
    Last edited by sameasalways; 6th January 2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

I don't know if it has been established as a neurotoxin or not, but I stopped using aluminium based deoderants and antipersperants about 15 years ago. the link to altzheimers has not been proved (or to my knowledge disproved) but I'm not willing to take a risk.

In australia at least it is easy to get 'sports' strength pump sprays with eucalyptus based deoderants - you will still perspire in hot weather but without the bacterial odour. I still need to shower and reapply after a session at the gym, but at least I'm aware of what is required.
    look famous, be legendary, appear complex, act easy
    radiate presence, travel light, seem a dream, prove real

I don't worry about it. True, there is ongoing research on this topic - you can read some at www.pubmed.com - (these are scholarly medical articles)

You could take a look at Dr. Andrew Weil's website - he comes straight out and states that aluminum does not cause cancer. (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA351137)

You are at far greater risk from factors like smoking, eating a bad diet, not exercising, or driving without a seat belt, IMHO.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

A similar 'rumor' was circulating soon after aluminum pots and pans were introduced into use about the aluminum in them causing all sorts of medical problems. Not true.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

It's definitely true as far as Anti-Perspirents are concerned. Better safe than sorry. It's not true for ingested aluminum such as pots and pans, but get aluminum-free deodorant if you value your memory when you're 80.

Use speed stick
    Best deoderant / antiperspirant I've ever found. Now if only it didnt have such a strong smell to it...

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    It's definitely true as far as Anti-Perspirents are concerned.
    Evidence?

Are we talking about aluminum or alum? (or both?)

From what I understand, alum is the stuff that closes your pores in an antiperspirant, and the stuff that a styptic pencil is made out of.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

You're right Scentronic, Alum is totally different from Aluminum and is safe to use (for example, Potassium Alum or Ammonium Alum, as found in natural salts).

"Evidence?" Well, when we're both 80, then you'll see the evidence. Better safe than sorry...

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    You're right Scentronic, Alum is totally different from Aluminum and is safe to use (for example, Potassium Alum or Ammonium Alum, as found in natural salts).

"Evidence?" Well, when we're both 80, then you'll see the evidence. Better safe than sorry...
    Hmmm..we need something positive somethinpositiv.

Seriously though, anecdotal evidence abounds for everything from UFO abduction to drinking chlorinated water causes instant death. Wikipedia articles, unfortunately for truth, often contain little of it and can be soap boxes for the factually disadvantaged.
    Last edited by kbe; 22nd January 2008 at 05:23 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell