Code of Conduct

Default Best source for ordering samples of old, non-modern perfumes?

What is the best, most reputable source for ordering some samples/small bottles of older fragrances?

I wanted to sample some of the perfumes suggested by posters on the "Old-fashion, non-modern fragrances" thread and checked several main department stores, including high-end ones along the lines of Saks, Neiman Marcus, etc. They don't seem to carry most of the fragrances mentioned on the thread.
    For instance, no trace of the house of Caron, Roachas, Nina Ricci, etc.
    Most department stores are loaded with modern, candy-trendy fragrances. I decided to make a purchase and just sample a few of the old ones.

What online store should I try?

Default Re: Best source for ordering samples of old, non-modern perfumes?

I recommend The Perfumed Court for samples or decants of classic or vintage fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulci View Post
    I recommend The Perfumed Court for samples or decants of classic or vintage fragrances.
    Thank you so much. What an interesting site!!!

A bit pricey...but it's worth it when you're dying to sample a certain fragrance. That being said, I would have to make a shortlist (from the list in the thread mentioned above) of a few old-fashion, non-modern, strong/evening perfumes that I would order from this site to try. I wish I could afford to sample all of the suggestions in the Old-fashion thread but I can't. So it will have to be 5 or so.

If anyone has any suggestions for the Top 5 to sample, I would appreciate it. Again, the criteria would be:

1. Old-fashioned
    2. Non-modern (no gourmands, oceany, etc)
    3. Strong, great sillage
    4. Big statement - even if reported as cloying, heavy by others (I have really bad chemistry, just about anything disappears on me).

As point of reference, the fragrance I love MOST is Chanel No 5. I just need to find one other evening, strong perfume for my wardrone. ...)
    Last edited by syracusa; 14th January 2008 at 07:09 PM.

I'll second the recommendation of The Perfumed Court. When it comes to sampling a lot of vintage, rare, discontinued or niche fragrances, they are the best resource out there. Luckyscent is another resource for sampling niche scents, though I haven't used it personally.

You are most welcome!

There are several threads on these boards discussing the Perfumed Court. The prices are admittedly high if you were to purchase a large decant, but they are great if you are just wanting to sample many hard to find fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
    Thank you so much. What an interesting site!!!

A bit pricey...but it's worth it when you're dying to sample a certain fragrance. That being said, I would have to make a shortlist (from the list in the thread mentioned above) of a few old-fashion, non-modern, strong/evening perfumes that I would order from this site to try. I wish I could afford to sample all of the suggestions in the Old-fashion thread but I can't. So it will have to be 5 or so.

If anyone has any suggestions for the Top 5 to sample, I would appreciate it. Again, the criteria would be:

1. Old-fashioned
    3. Strong, great sillage
    4. Big statement - even if reported as cloying, heavy by others (I have really bad chemistry, just about anything disappears on me).

As point of reference, the fragrance I love MOST is Chanel No 5. I just need to find one other evening, strong perfume for my wardrone. ...)
    These all fit your criteria:

1. Tabac Blond
    2. Knize Ten
    3. Putain des Palaces ( just try getting this stuff off! )
    4. Sa Majeste de Rose
    5. Cuir d'Iris

None of these are like Chanel #5 - I'm sure others can be of better service in that department - but they are all long lasting, powerful fragrances. In general, your description tends to match Caron more than any other house I've tried, specifically in parfum strength: maybe this sample pack might be worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

1. Old-fashioned
    3. Strong, great sillage

I agree that it's daft to pay for samples of lots of different frags - anyway, if I over-do it with the sampling/testing I seem to get burnout. 5 sounds like a great number. And be warned - these Basenoters are notoriously generous with samples! If you're lucky, you may get all kinds of interesting donations from people.

With the obvious caveat that before ordering anything you should first check out the descriptions and reviews here in the Basenotes directory, I can certainly recommend 2 Carons to try: Tabac Blond and Narcisse Noir. Another Caron that I love is Poivre - very spicy and warm. I am sure the other ladies here will guide you through the more floral Carons like Fleur de Rocaille, which my Mum loves and she used to be a No 5er. I have a sample of Nuit de Noel and to me it smells incredibly 'of an earlier time'. Utterly unmodern. (Not my personal demitasse of darjeeling but it might be the one that sends you to the moon.)

Since you are a No 5 gal, perhaps you should contemplate some of the rarer Chanels - 22 or Bois des Iles - that are usually only available from Chanel boutiques. I haven't smelled 22 and I'm looking forward to the day I do, but I can heartily recommend Bois Des Iles - gorgeously rich and round.

Personally I love Madame Rochas, but it's quite easy to get hold of reasonably cheaply through the nline discounters, so perhaps not worthy of being one of your 5. If it helps you, I love Coco but No 5 doesn't work for me.

If you can get to a Guerlain counter (and there are a lot more of them around than most other fragrance houses), chat up the Sales Assistant and see if you can get them to pull the classics out from under the counter. Jicky, Shalimar, Mitsouko, Nahema, Parure, L'Heure Bleu and all the other great old scents. They're well worth a sniff.

Good luck and please tell us what you find.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I agree that it's daft to pay for samples of lots of different frags - anyway, if I over-do it with the sampling/testing I seem to get burnout. 5 sounds like a great number. And be warned - these Basenoters are notoriously generous with samples! If you're lucky, you may get all kinds of interesting donations from people.

With the obvious caveat that before ordering anything you should first check out the descriptions and reviews here in the Basenotes directory, I can certainly recommend 2 Carons to try: Tabac Blond and Narcisse Noir. Another Caron that I love is Poivre - very spicy and warm. I am sure the other ladies here will guide you through the more floral Carons like Fleur de Rocaille, which my Mum loves and she used to be a No 5er. I have a sample of Nuit de Noel and to me it smells incredibly 'of an earlier time'. Utterly unmodern. (Not my personal demitasse of darjeeling but it might be the one that sends you to the moon.)

Since you are a No 5 gal, perhaps you should contemplate some of the rarer Chanels - 22 or Bois des Iles - that are usually only available from Chanel boutiques. I haven't smelled 22 and I'm looking forward to the day I do, but I can heartily recommend Bois Des Iles - gorgeously rich and round.

Personally I love Madame Rochas, but it's quite easy to get hold of reasonably cheaply through the nline discounters, so perhaps not worthy of being one of your 5. If it helps you, I love Coco but No 5 doesn't work for me.

If you can get to a Guerlain counter (and there are a lot more of them around than most other fragrance houses), chat up the Sales Assistant and see if you can get them to pull the classics out from under the counter. Jicky, Shalimar, Mitsouko, Nahema, Parure, L'Heure Bleu and all the other great old scents. They're well worth a sniff.

Good luck and please tell us what you find.
    Wordbird,

Unfortunately, my trials with the House of Guerlain are over. This is another example of a house that I tried hard to love but there is no way a click between us will ever happen. All I can smell in virtually ALL Guerlain perfumes (a little less so in Samsara, but even in that one) is heavy, almost rancid oil. I find them impossible to even get close to, let alone to own.
    --------------------------------------
    What does everyone think about Ysatis ... and Givenchy in general ?
    Last edited by syracusa; 14th January 2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

Also try Patou 1000.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Parfumflacons.com is a "mini only" website, you can check there. Perfumebay also has some minis and samples.