Code of Conduct

Talking Carrot Silver Mist!

I just received my sample of Iris Silver Mist today, and found myself swept away by the haunting, nostalgic scent... of carrots!
    Don't get me wrong; this is a lovely fragrance, and there is a strong, earthy iris in there too, but to my nose - I've had it on about three hours - the scent is distinctly carrot-like, and takes me back to pulling up carrots in our backyard. ( I wonder if they used carrot seed essential oil in this fragrance? )
    Anyone else have this reaction to ISM?

Default Re: Carrot Silver Mist!

Turnips?
    Ummmmm, this is one hell of a scent. Strange and ethereal. Deep, raw and rooty iris. Puts out a top note that smells sort of like a crushed bug. The note is compelling, somewhat reminiscent of urea (in a good way). The overall scent is so intriguing that it circumvents my mind. Iris has always been deeply mysterious to me. I’ve worn Iris Silver Mist for a few months but analyzing notes or even describing how it makes me feel is challenging. I can give you some interesting information though. Iris Silver Mist is one of the few Lutens fragrances that isn’t attributed solely to Christopher Sheldrake; It was created by Maurice Roucel, either alone or in collaboration with Sheldrake. Notes include: iris pallida root, galbanum, cedar, sandalwood, clove, vetiver, musk, Chinese benzoin balsam, incense, and white amber. Various descriptions of the scent through its development are: “dirt-caked roots, spicy and peppery, with a touch of dry mossy green, raw turnips, metallic buzz, a little off, a little bizarre, peculiar, somewhat repulsive and strangely appealing, tender like a caress of some otherworldy, ethereal creature, weird and wonderful dream”. Serge Lutens describes it as “a summer scent recalling the scent of white linen”. Luca Turin called Iris Silver Mist “…a total success, the only iris scent worthy of the name”. Like most Lutens creations, this one is also extremely voluptuous. I can relate with Lutens’s reference to white linens, but what I’m thinking about is what’s happening on the white linens. The fragrance is certainly not overtly feminine. It’s one of the more masculine iris scents. Either way, the scent reminds me of a woman’s creamy inner thighs as I explore her in a more consummate manner. It must be the narcotic/hypnotic iris and sultry ambery/balsamic qualities that manifest those feelings in me.

by pluran , 07 November 2006, United States

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Basenotes Institution

You are not the only one Galamb who 'gets' carrot from iris prominent scents.

You can read this old thread, where we discuss in the thread (among other things) the description Luca Turin made (in a magazine article I posted) of the iris prominent Dior Homme, as 'carrot-y'. Link here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196710

Funny thing, I have smelled Dior Homme atleast 10 times, and I never smell carrot. I have a sample of Iris Silver Mist (from leopoldo) that I'm gonna test one of these days. When I do, I will pay attention to see if I also 'get' the carrot note.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th January 2008 at 03:08 AM.

Off-Scenter

Hey, one root smells just like another!

There is a herbal rooty smell (which later decreases in intensity) in ISM which at times smells of dryer sheets (which was one of the inspirations behind ISM...to conjure the smell of clean linen sheets, Gendarme or no Gendarme)...maybe this accord is whats reminding you of carrots.

I have tried to detect carrots in Dior Homme but have never been able to catch a whiff of it .. only Luca Turin and Scentemental have been able to detect a note of carrots in Dior homme.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    You can read this old thread, where we discuss in the thread (among other things) the description Luca Turin made (in a magazine article I posted) of the iris prominent Dior Homme, as 'carrot-y'. Link here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196710
    Now I've got to try Dior Homme! Personally, the iris-carrot connection is a new one to me; none of the other iris fragrances I've tried - Bois d'Argent, Cuir d'Iris, Iris Gris, Iris Bleu Gris and Cuir Ottoman - have the same quality, but I guess I'll find out when my iris sample pack arrives ( seven more! )
    As a random observation, I can't help but wonder if Luca Turin's love of ISM is connected to his love of Iris Gris: remove the soapy note from Iris Gris, and ISM is practically identical once the carrot note disappears ( it has now ).

Funny thing, I have smelled Dior Homme atleast 10 times, and I never smell carrot. I have a sample of Iris Silver Mist (from leopoldo) that I'm gonna test one of these days. When I do, I will pay attention to see if I also 'get' the carrot note.
    I don't know how you manage it. When a new batch of samples arrives, all my owned fragrances go by the board and it becomes a week ( or so ) of sampling. My curiosity refuses to let me wait.

I've heard that one about Hiris, too, maybe irises smell like carrots.

(Slightly off-topic, but women's Gucci Rush smells to me like carrot casserole, a trad. Finnish Christmas course, don't remember if it has an iris note, though)
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I just received my sample of Iris Silver Mist today, and found myself swept away by the haunting, nostalgic scent... of carrots!
    Don't get me wrong; this is a lovely fragrance, and there is a strong, earthy iris in there too, but to my nose - I've had it on about three hours - the scent is distinctly carrot-like, and takes me back to pulling up carrots in our backyard. ( I wonder if they used carrot seed essential oil in this fragrance? )
    to my nose, Iris silver mist has the most carroty note of all iris scents.
    I do not get this note in Dior Homme
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    (Slightly off-topic, but women's Gucci Rush smells to me like carrot casserole, a trad. Finnish Christmas course, don't remember if it has an iris note, though)
    No, Gucci Rush (the womens) doesn't list iris as a note. Official notes are: Gardenia, Freesia, Madras Jasmine, Damascene Rose, Coriander, Vanilla, Patchouli and Vetiver (according to Osmoz)

No, Gucci Rush (the womens) doesn't list iris as a note. Official notes are: Gardenia, Freesia, Madras Jasmine, Damascene Rose, Coriander, Vanilla, Patchouli and Vetiver (according to Osmoz)
    OK, thanks!

I realize the topic here is iris but I every time I read posts on the thread I think I should mention L'Artisan's once summer special frag, Fleur de Carotte. Now that's carrots. Good smelling stuff in an experiment with nature way, but it didn't last when I tried it on my skin. Also seemed too cute with carrots too, for that matter. I love iris in contrast though.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I realize the topic here is iris but I every time I read posts on the thread I think I should mention L'Artisan's once summer special frag, Fleur de Carotte. Now that's carrots. Good smelling stuff in an experiment with nature way, but it didn't last when I tried it on my skin. Also seemed too cute with carrots too, for that matter. I love iris in contrast though.
    It sounds positively Demeter-ish, no? Coincidentally, Demeter discontinued their 'Carrot' scent. However CBIHP has an accord ($25 for 15 ml) here. For those times when only smelling like a carrot will do.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th January 2008 at 04:48 PM.

It sounds positively Demeter-ish, no? Coincidentally, Demeter dicontinued their 'Carrot' scent. However CBIHP has an accord ($25 for 15 ml) here. For those times when only smelling like a carrot will do.
    But of course if you're trying to attract bunnies...

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Keep away from wild rabbits!
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I have tried to detect carrots in Dior Homme but have never been able to catch a whiff of it .. only Luca Turin and Scentemental have been able to detect a note of carrots in Dior homme.
    I smelled carrots only, and no Iris at all in Dior Homme. And that's why I never bought it. There is certain baby food preserves that smell exactly like that. Was it C. Burr recently, or somebody else who mentioned a chemical product which replaces natural Iris in most modern colognes now? It's name sounded like something similar to carotine.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    There were a few more, I believe. I smelled carrots only, and no Iris (at all) in Dior Homme. And that's why I never bought it. There are baby food preserves in Europe which smell and taste exactly like that. Was it C. Burr recently, or somebody else, who mentioned a chemical product which replaces Iris in our days mostly? It's name sounded like something close to Carotine.
    Last edited by narcus; 16th January 2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    to my nose, Iris silver mist has the most carroty note of all iris scents.
    I do not get this note in Dior Homme
    I very much agree with DreamerII's opinion. And by the way I cannot get myself to wear Iris Silver Mist at all, not necessarily because of that as the carrot-ey impression really doesn't last for long.

However, I keep that sample in a cupboard and it seems that the cap isn't well closed: you cannot imagine how SUBLIME the smell is when I open that door. Iris Silver Mist is simply the fragrance of a fairy. Sheer beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    It sounds positively Demeter-ish, no? Coincidentally, Demeter discontinued their 'Carrot' scent. However CBIHP has an accord ($25 for 15 ml) here. For those times when only smelling like a carrot will do.
    I'd probably save my money and just buy some carrot seed essential oil. Extremely carroty, and not at all expensive.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 15th January 2008 at 08:24 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing Iris Silver Mist from my sample today - yes Galamb, I am happy to report the carrot note is there. It's quite nice, mixed with that roots caked with dirt accord at the top - it's starting to fade slightly now and that shimmery, silvery presence is taking over. Ever so often I move around my office here at work, and I feel like a ghost of a fragrance is hovering just a few inches away from my nose.

Lovely stuff. I'm wearing this another time before I post a full review of it, but this impresses easily.

BTW - I bumped into the L'Artisan Fleurs de Carotte at Luscious Cargo today (that DustB mentioned above). I'd love to smell this - doesn't the bottle look like salad dressing?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm still loving my ISM...I crave the carrot! I have a chance to have any Lutens bottle brought back for me from Paris, and I'm seriously considering getting a 2nd bottle of ISM. I *like* the others, but I couldn't live without my favourite iris!

I've always wanted to try that L'Artisan...its a ridiculous bottle, but it sounds intruiging.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'm still loving my ISM...I crave the carrot! I have a chance to have any Lutens bottle brought back for me from Paris, and I'm seriously considering getting a 2nd bottle of ISM. I *like* the others, but I couldn't live without my favourite iris!

I've always wanted to try that L'Artisan...its a ridiculous bottle, but it sounds intruiging.
    I tried the L'Artisan once, and I found it nowhere near as compelling as ISM. The closest approximation to the L'Artisan is the Prada Infusion d'Iris.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

And I have my first bottle of ISM coming from Paris right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    And I have my first bottle of ISM coming from Paris right now.
    Yay! I'm excited for you. I literally smelled every iris scent in production (thanks partly to you!) and there honestly is no equal to ISM. Bois Farine and L'Homme de Coeur are still high on my list, but I seem to focus more on the other elements rather than the iris anymore.

Yay! I'm excited for you. I literally smelled every iris scent in production (thanks partly to you!) and there honestly is no equal to ISM. Bois Farine and L'Homme de Coeur are still high on my list, but I seem to focus more on the other elements rather than the iris anymore.
    I dug up lots of iris scents afterwards as well, and I agree with you, ISM stands against the competition very well!
    Last edited by Ascella; 29th February 2008 at 10:10 AM.