Code of Conduct

Default Fresh & Funky - Anyone Else Drawn To Contradictory Fragrances?

Lately I've been drawn more to the musky/funky end of the fragrance spectrum and have been especially enjoying a few that are both fresh and musky/funky at the same times.

A few examples:

AA Pamplelune - fresh grapefruit followed by natural, musky b.o. - Summery funky love.

N.R. for Her edt - more musky than funky, but also fresh & soapy clean - year round & easy to wear.

Kiehl's Musk Oil - starts off the perfect mix of sweet clean baby & dirty, naughty funk but then wimps out on me and turns to sweet, soft, powdery musk ala Jovan Musk Oil after a short while.

DK Black Cashmere edp - fresh saffron & cumin in a spice shop mixes with Kyoto incense. After a few hours it turns more earthy on me like incense burned down the road from a farm - not full on funky but just barely there funk covered up with incense.

Tabu - lovely orange and spice gives way to funky, musk. Unfortunately on me, it goes from orange, to musk, to pure clove oil within 2 hours.

Does anyone else love the fresh & funky?
    Are there any other good ones that I've missed?

Editing because I left out 2 that are at opposite ends of the spectrum to each other:

J. Lo's Glow - starts off musk mixed with soap, but like the Kiehl's Musk Oil it wimps out and turns purely to soap on me.

Mitsouko - starts bright, crisp orange/peach and as it develops it does have moments of funkiness on me to the tune of dirty 'wet' diapers, but those funky notes pass and it ends purely peachy/ambery/woods - no funk at the end, but an amazing experience nonetheless.
    Last edited by virgo75; 15th January 2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: left something out

Default Re: Fresh & Funky - Anyone Else Drawn To Contradictory Fragrances?

Good thread! got me thinking...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Angel has a tendancy to funk out after the initial amazing appeal.
    It ends up as pure b.o. on some people.

I used to just like "funky". I'm wanting, now to add the "fresh". Really, I just want to adopt all the difficult fragrances of the world! LOL!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I like a few of those - Mitsouko has been a favourite since I was 18 (a zillion years ago) and I like Kieh's as well.
    I just replaced my Mitsouko with a new bottle (parfum) and the newer formulation is a bit less funky and a lot more woody, almost nutty. I actually prefer it.
    Of all the things I've smelled, Jicky does the funky/fresh things best with its citrus/civet combo. It's odd indeed, but the dry down is smashing.

For me, Fleurs de Oranger by Lutens is totally fresh/funky! Those creamy blossoms meld into a cumin note that.....uh, well.....ends up 'not so fresh'! Definitely funky! It's not one I personally enjoy, but if you like 'em funky, give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Good thread! got me thinking...
    Me too.....

I think for me that Tubereuse Criminelle might sort of fall into this category - starts out not "fresh" but like an auto body shop, then segues into a glorious, heavy drama and very substantial tuberose that you might could call funky.

Nah! I guess TC is more Funky/Fresh!!

Anyway - I would rob a bank to score some!!
    Last edited by TaoLady2; 18th January 2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Thought. Then contributed.
    "When the heart is right, "for" and "against" are forgotten." Chuang Tzu
    My 'Drobe: Here

The authentic me Here

Agree with Mitsouko and Jicky and will add Chanel Cuir de Russie; starts off sweet and floral, and sinks slowly into civet and leather. Deliciously dirty!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I would agree with the Tabu reference. It has a certain "funk", which I adore, but it also keeps a fresh quality which I do not mind. The freshness never changes the heart of the scent.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Thank you for the responses.

With the fresh & funky fragrances, I feel like I get to enjoy more than one fragrance at a time.
    I tend to have a hard time deciding what fragrance to wear in the morning, but reach for these more often because that way I have 2, sometimes 3 fragrances within a day.

Mitsouko is more like 20 fragrances, then starts all over again in the evening which can be a bit much, even for me.

I'm going to check out the ones suggested - Jicky, Fleurs de Oranger, Tubereuse Criminelle, and Cuir de Russie.

I've noticed the funkiness in Angel. It's one of things I like about it, but it doesn't get dirty enough for me to love that aspect of it. It's pretty fresh on me in the beginning - if that's even possible- but the chocolate/honey/patchouli aspect gets very warm and sensual on me with a very mild undercurrent of muskiness. Just enough to make it sexy and not just cute or pretty. Amazingly I haven't smelled it on enough people to find the B.O. smell. I'd actually like to smell that. lol

Brielle, you're lucky if Tabu maintains it's freshness with you. It develops rapidly on me going from spiced oranges, to musky/funky/sexy/beautiful, to pure clove oil within 2 hours and only lasts on me maybe 4-6 hours. But I only have the edc. I want to find the parfum.