Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that feel like good friends, not loves?

I have just finished my third sample of Ambre Sultan. I enjoy wearing it, like spending time with it, but I still haven't bought it. I know I should. But there are those scents for which I fall madly, instantly, delirously, e.g. Ambre Russe. It almost feels like the difference between friends and lovers. Perhaps my relationship with Ambre Sultan is like a friendship that turns into love.
    Are there fragrances that you fell head over heels for immediately and others that grew on you?

Default Re: Fragrances that feel like good friends, not loves?

I had the same experience with Ambre Sultan, I liked it when I tried it, it seemed nice. I purchased it, wore it a few times, and since then it has been holding court in a crate of fragrances in my closet. It comes out on occasion: I spray my bedroom window sheers, the room smells lovely. It never progressed past that point. Sometimes it is just better to go with something you fall for, madly. Or you could end up with very pricey room spray.

I had a similar thought recently. I think there are a few "friends" in my perfume collection as well as a few "loves." Certain fragrances I just identify with instantly, or grow to love after a few wearings. But others remain friends--ie, I really enjoy them but they don't strike the same passion. And there are a couple fragrances I own that I don't even consider friends--they are more acquaintances that I like. I actually think it's helpful to think about my fragrances this way when I'm deciding which ones to keep and which ones to pass along and which new ones to buy. As for whether Ambre Sultan will turn into love, who knows, but if you're compelled to wear it regularly, perhaps it's worth having around as a friend.

Edit: Of course, that's a pretty expensive friend....perhaps get a decant first, it's sort of like dating.
    Last edited by sucrose; 15th January 2008 at 02:19 AM.

I fell madly in love with L de Lolita Lempicka just recently. It was hard to to buy it on my first sniff. I waited, and ordered it for MUCH cheaper online and I'm head over heels.

Another recent one that took more time was Miss Dior Cherie. I tried Cherie and Dior Addict at the same time and only on card samples. I took them home with me and decided I loved Addict and had to have it, but Miss Dior Cherie didn't impress me. I went back to the store the next day and tried them both on skin. It was then that I realised how wrong my initial impression had been! I was in love with Miss Dior Cherie, and she was purchased that very day. Addict is now being put onto the backburner, and I'm still thinking about getting it...

Another I've fell madly for are Thierry Mugler Violette Angel. That perfume was my request for Valentines last year. I just HAD to have it.

Some fragrances that I own but are only 'friends' are my Guess? Woman, Davidoff Echo Woman and Revlon Fire&Ice (though that one is a VERY good friend)

Me and Giorgio Beverly Hills Red had a falling out one hungover morning, and even though we were quite in love we now no longer speak to each other.

There are plenty. And sometimes, like in life, I just like hanging out with my friends in a comfortable casual way.

Included: Geoffrey Beene
    The citrus Guerlain Eaux
    L'Occitane Green Tea and Mint
    EL Pleasures
    Bvlgari's White tea
    All my AAs

Smile Re: Fragrances that feel like good friends, not loves?

Hey! First post here! I love these forums, so I decided to come out of hiding, lol. As for a good friend perfume:

L'Artisan - Tea For Two
    Tocca - Florence

I really, really adore them, and I'm mourning the fact that my samples are running low, but I simply can't bring myself to shell out the bucks to buy them. The "problem" for me is that they're just so nice! They don't give me that rabid "OMG. MUST. BUY. NOW." sensation that usually makes me fork over clams for a big bottle.

Most of the fragrances in my collection, at this point, I'm pretty fond of for one reason or another. There are some that call to me less than others, but when I do wear them they are often perfect for my mood or the occasion and I usually remember why I fell in love with them in the first place.

Some were not love at first sniff though. I remember going through a whole sample of Lolita Lempicka and still not being sure. Even now I'm on my second bottle after using up a whole 3.4 oz bottle (this rarely happens) and sometimes I still wonder if I really love this one or what. For some reason, in my "scent memory" LL just smells "unusual" to me and I become unsure. Then, usually when I wear it again I remember why I became so hooked (I also get good compliments on it.)

Coco I really liked a lot (and kind of admired its "image" from afar) when I first tried it and now it's one I reach for habitually. It's kind of a friend & a lover. I'm comfortable with it and I really love it. Shalimar is much the same way too.

Joy and Quelques Fleurs I fell instantly for but Chanel No 19 I couldn't stand for years and years until this past spring I was finally able to try it in parfum. Now I love it.

I guess I'm pretty "all or nothing" in general and when it comes to perfumes too. Suppose I rarely have just a "friendly" relationship with any fragrance. Often if a fragrance doesn't make me feel a BIG "something" I know I probably will never reach for it. I guess when it comes to perfume I only have room for true loves.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I haven't tried much but so far my loves are:

For several years now:
    Les Covent Minimes Lemon Verbena: It's so fresh in the summer (it gets in the 100's here). It's discontinued now I have a few body splashes stashed until I find something else.
    Recently discovered:
    BBW Aromatherapy Sandalwood Rose lotion: I just love that scent and am trying to find a fragrance that is very, very close to this. I happened to stumble across the lotion at their clearance table. It's also discontinued now.
    Givenchy Pi: I like its warm coziness. Lucky for me this is not discontinued. I only have a mini bottle atm but am saving for a bigger bottle. We'll see how this works in the summer

My friends, the ones I have recently tried and purchased:
    Happy: clean fresh scent for warm weather
    Sun, Moon & Stars: something about the peach....not sure how this would work in the summer if it would be too overpowering.
    Oxygene: clean fresh scent for warm weather

I think I overdosed on Vanilla Fields back in the early to mid 90's and now cannot stand the scent.

I am still in the beginning of trying out fragrances so my list is rather mundane compared to the seasoned bn'ers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.
    Carl Jung
    Swiss psychologist (1875 - 1961)

Blog Entries

Hmmm...interesting distinction Therese.

I think the scents that I would class as "friends" are those that no longer give me a "rush" - I don't walk around sniffing myself and being transported. I actually splash them on without thinking much about it because I already know they smell good on me - they "work" without being obtrusive. I would never get rid of them; they are staples. They have been used, used-up, and reordered automatically over a period of years.

The lovers are those scents of which I have recently become enamoured. I plotted to acquire them and took the plunge to buy a full bottle. I spray or splash them on and they call attention to themselves - all through the day. I am inquisitive. I try to probe their depths. I am delighted when I learn a new facet of their personality. There is still mystery in them...I take them out on dates, to work, to the theatre, to a restaurant. I take them to bed...never sure how they will respond and whether I will love them in the morning .

And then there are the flirtations; not yet lovers, I have smelled them from afar, or been aroused by a description, or teased and tempted by a sample. I have not yet taken them as a lover by buying a full bottle.

Not all lovers become friends. Lover's are fickle. Friends are steadfast, and stand the test of time.

Scents I class as friends:
    Bouquet di Violette
    L'Heure Bleue
    Habanita
    Shalimar
    Je Reviens
    Madame Rochas
    Ô de Lancôme
    Ciara
    Volupte
    Freesia
    Jaipur
    Sun Moon and Stars
    Poeme
    Terracotta Voile d'Ete

My lovers right now are:
    Un Jardin sur le Nil
    Datura Noir
    Farnesiana
    Parfum Sacré
    24, Faubourg
    Parure
    Bahiana

and I am "flirting" with:
    Alpona
    Ambre Narguile
    Bois de Paradis
    Jardin Blanc
    Violette Précieuse

I realize that for me it takes at least 5-7 years for a lover to morph into a friend. There are other scents I own which fall into none of these categories. They may be one shot deals - a bottle, worn from time to time, but once once used up never re-ordered. Perhaps I should deem these "acquaintances".
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

All the Guerlain AAs for me are classified in this category
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

My good friends are:
    Cinema
    Hot Couture
    YR Cocoon
    Eau Dynamisante
    Pada Infusion d'Iris
    Melograno

I enjoy wearing them, but they don't excite me!

My bed-fellows are:
    Un Jour se Leve(Yves Rocher)
    Iris Poudre(Malle)
    Le Parfum de Therese(Malle)
    Diorissimo
    Cristobal
    Eau Sauvage
    Casaque

My heart beats a little faster each time I embrace them!!

hmmm... this deserves some additional thought, but my first impulse would be to say that at the very least, my frags are friends with at least a bit of romantic tension...
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

You know, Ambre Sultan is like that for me, too. When I first sniffed it in the shop I was completely bowled over. I thought that this was it, my new signature scent.
    In reality, it comes out once or twice during the cooler months and that's it. I don't view it as a summer scent (too dusty) and whilst I enjoy it, I very rarely crave it.

As for my loves... Mitsouko and I are more like an old married couple, complete with arguments, but mostly great affection.
    Ava Luxe's Madame X and Rasa are definitely lovers, whereas Gardenia Musk is a cherished friend who never fails to cheer me up.
    Tabac Blond and Musc Ravageur are lovers who are also friends.
    Coney Island - hard to classify this as it's become such a staple, yet I'm not sure it's foxy enough to be a lover. I would class it as a really good friend I like to hang out with all the time and never get bored of.
    Angel's an ex I dumped because I found out she was sleeping around behind my back, but I can't stop hopping into bed with her for the occassional bit of nookie.