Code of Conduct

Default Aedes de Venustas vs. Luckyscent

It's so interesting how Aedes and Luckyscent, while selling lots of the same brands of juice at identical prices, have such different websites. Aedes' site is so elegant and polished and classy, while Luckyscent's site is so funky and colorful and fun. I'm a pretty casual girl myself, and I find myself buying compulsively from Luckyscent, while I feel like I don't have the "prestige" to purchase from Aedes. When I buy from Luckyscent and when I go to Scent Bar in LA, it feels like I'm indulging in a quirky little hobby of mine. When I navigate Aedes, it's like I'm in a virtual Nieman Marcus. Illogical, yes, but this is what website design can do, I guess! Anyone else have that same feeling? They feel more comfortable buying from a certain site, but not another?

Default Re: Aedes de Venustas vs. Luckyscent

I get what your saying about the differences in presentation. Luckyscent is like the enabling hairstylist who does wacky things to your hair and looks at you and goes "Oh... How FUN! What a FUN look for you!" heh-heh. Aedes does have a more reserved feel to it.

Both however are excellent-- I've bought several fragrances from each. I've bought more from Luckyscent because they were the only place I could get Comme des Garçons. Aedes is where I bought some of my L'Artisan, Lutens, and SMN stuff. The shipping is kind of expensive from Aedes. But I've received great service from both places and I'd recommend them highly.

I buy from both: from Aedes in person since I live just outside of NYC and they are my local store. The service is great and when they didn't have something in stock the day I visited, they mailed it to me the next day, with no shipping charge and no tax (because I live in Jersey). They are good about responding to emails and are always kind (even if need some prompting about samples when buying in store). I do see, though, why the place would seem intimidating at first with all those big names and decor (the site is a good reflection of the actual place).
    I adore Luckyscent just as much and buy from them what I can't get from Aedes (or other local stores). They have many things you can't get elsewhere and the service is perfect.

aedes strikes me as Victorian and Luckyscent seems to look very LA. I'm also from just outside NYC in NJ and it seems that aedes will box any order and overnight it to me.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 15th January 2008 at 12:23 PM.

Post Re: Aedes de Venustas vs. Luckyscent

I have purchased from both in the past, and will do so in the future. Aedes seems to be a little more generous with samples. Both realize the importance of their customer base, thus good service is provided.In an economy such as the one were in, these venders realize that their products are a luxury, versus a product that is necessary, and treat their client's accordingly! Kind of refreshing in this day,and age.
    To both job well done!

Basenotes Institution

I buy happily from both. I also admire both sites as easy to navigate, trouble-free, informative and well laid out.

However IMO the Luckyscent scent is much nicer. I told this to the owners personally, when I visited Scent Bar last month. They were very appreciative of the compliments and told me that they both had previous experience in website / graphic desigm, so the site was more a labor of love on their part. The quirkiness, overall artistic feel and (most importantly) ease of navigation really sets it apart in online perfume stores. Perhaps only second to the extremely hip and modern European website for Collette [and Collette is not just fragrances...but many products].

Lucky Scent is Left Coast - Aedes is Right Coast - yin/yang (or rather, yang/yin) both delightful, helpful and MUCH appreciated by folk like me who live in limbo.

(And Mike, I'm still rockin' from Collete's site - thanx! What fun!! )
    "When the heart is right, "for" and "against" are forgotten." Chuang Tzu
    My 'Drobe: Here

The authentic me Here

I see what you're saying and will add that ParfumsRaffy.com is one that feels pretentious to me.

The site owner ("Raffy") professes his credentials very predominantly on the front page, along with what looks like a website "coat of arms". The front page advertises Creed, Montale, and Amouage among other high-end perfumes, all of which come at full retail prices, yet the site design and navigation feels more like a discount site. It also has a very limited selection of designer fragrances, at non-discount prices, which gives me the impression that these are the owner's personal picks; the ones that are worthy of being sold on his site, at retail prices, alongside the prestigious niche frags.

My 2 or 3 purchasing experiences have been without incident however.

I like them both. Luckyscent takes paypal, which sometimes I need to make myself use to avoid over spending...(blush).
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Yes, I admit that Luckyscent taking PayPal IS a great boon to me as well.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Oh! I had no idea Aedes has a store outside NYC. Hm... I go to school in Jersey, so maybe it'll be MUCH quicker to order from them, haha. Or I can even visit in person! I shall be moving to LA after I graduate... hm... maybe I should just LIVE in Scent Bar. :-) Great to hear y'all's opinions on the stores!

This Collette site is very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    I like them both. Luckyscent takes paypal, which sometimes I need to make myself use to avoid over spending...(blush).
    Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Yes, I admit that Luckyscent taking PayPal IS a great boon to me as well.
    How does Luckyscent take PayPal? I don't see any option for that; it always asks for my credit card.

HELP!!! There are samples I must... sample.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Lucky Scent Takes PayPal????? WOW!
    Aedes is a 5 minute walk from where I live, so I am a regular there, right around the corner from my barber.
    I purchase with them regularly, but sometimes I wonder if they think I'm a bit mad.
    I have to admit that I've looked at every inch of the store.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by pellen View Post
    How does Luckyscent take PayPal? I don't see any option for that; it always asks for my credit card.

HELP!!! There are samples I must... sample.
    Click here: http://www.luckyscent.com/custserv.asp

Scroll down to the paragraph titled PAYMENT OPTIONS, 'We now accept payments via Paypal.com. Simply calculate your total, include shipping and taxes (CA residents only), and send us a payment notice using this email: lucky@luckyscent.com. Once we receive your order and payment notification from Paypal, we'll process and ship your order immediately!'

Yay! Thanks Mike! My bank account is very upset with you, however.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood