Code of Conduct

Thread: Cowboy Boots

Default Cowboy Boots

Anybody into Cowboy Boots here? After seeing Kill Bill 2, I added Uma's kickass boots to my secret wishlist.

Some informal surveys have pointed to Nocona boots as good quality. Any other recommendations? Anectodes? Photos?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Cowboy Boots

I was mortified to be a bridesmaid in a cowboy wedding several years ago, but the joke's on me. I look damn good in cowboy boots, and I've had a pair in my closet ever since. I haven't compared very many brands, but I've worn Tony Lama and Justin boots.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I was mortified to be a bridesmaid in a cowboy wedding several years ago, but the joke's on me. I look damn good in cowboy boots, and I've had a pair in my closet ever since. I haven't compared very many brands, but I've worn Tony Lama and Justin boots.
    I am sure you make one cool Cowgirl, Tang! Daim Blond would go nicely, eh?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Yay Cowboy boots! I have a pair of Frye harness boots, a pair of Ariat Lacers and a pair of Ariat mules. I lust for a pair of Old Gringo boots and retro shirts from Panhandle Slim and Skully.

If you're ever in Austin, check out Allen's Boots, the walls are covered with autographed photos of movie and rock stars getting fitted for boots.

Lucchese (pronounced Loo-KAE-see): the Cadillac of cowboy boots
    (without buying bespoke pairs, anyway)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 16th January 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Lucchese are my faves, but I don't own a pair. I inherited a pair of dark brown lizard (Teju or iguana) skin boots several years ago. They belonged to a close a friend, who was a car accident away from becoming my brother-in-law. Those boots have been my primary a pair of cowboy boots for over 20 years now. Perfect for wearing with jeans and tight t-shirts, and bull riding events.

I also have a pair of sand colored suede Frye boots that I sometimes wear as alternates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulci View Post
    Yay Cowboy boots! I have a pair of Frye harness boots, a pair of Ariat Lacers and a pair of Ariat mules. I lust for a pair of Old Gringo boots and retro shirts from Panhandle Slim and Skully.

If you're ever in Austin, check out Allen's Boots, the walls are covered with autographed photos of movie and rock stars getting fitted for boots.
    drool.......if only I were a 10.5b and had an extra $500 to spend on footwear, I'd be tempted by these bluebird beauties. soft and pretty but with grit
    http://www.allensboots.com/site/page...56_80_490.html
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Lucchese are my faves, but I don't own a pair. I inherited a pair of dark brown lizard (Teju or iguana) skin boots several years ago. They belonged to a close a friend, who was a car accident away from becoming my brother-in-law. Those boots have been my primary a pair of cowboy boots for over 20 years now. Perfect for wearing with jeans and tight t-shirts, and bull riding events.

I also have a pair of sand colored suede Frye boots that I sometimes wear as alternates.
    that is quite a story, my imagination fills in details, the meaning instilled in a single pair of boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    ah, I have heard this name and searched a bit online...beauties. I can see that a person with an obsessive personality had best exercise care when browsing cowboy boots...
    quite the art form. lookee here:
    http://www.sheplers.com/womens/boots...00/045494.html
    Last edited by rtamara41; 16th January 2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post

that is quite a story, my imagination fills in details, the meaning instilled in a single pair of boots.
    Photos:

Front
    Side
    Detail

Thanks for that Michael.
    Those are beautiful.

I have two pairs of Tony Lamas - one black, and one with a black leg and pale stitching and a tan lizardskin food. I bought both in the US and they have been reheeled and soled many, many times. I love them dearly but wear them less now that I wear jeans so rarely (combats are just so much more comfortable...)

drool.......if only I were a 10.5b and had an extra $500 to spend on footwear, I'd be tempted by these bluebird beauties. soft and pretty but with grit
    http://www.allensboots.com/site/page...56_80_490.html
    Yes! the Golondrina Bluebirds are my favorite too, but I love the orange/red ones. Aren't they gaudy?

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    Those are fantastic.

I can see that a person with an obsessive personality had best exercise care when browsing cowboy boots...
    Ain't that the truth. I wear my boots maybe 5 times a year, but I've already bookmarked a couple dozen pairs after reading this thread and following links. Those Old Gringo boots are fabulous! And Lucchese.... *drool* If I wear mine mostly with jeans, I'd want something with a wild toe, similar to this, or several of the Old Gringo styles. I'd never be able to pick a favorite. Thanks for the link, Dulci!
    Sniff and let sniff.

frankly, I'm rather taken by these toesies:

http://www.allensboots.com/site/page...56_80_816.html

after seeing Michael's lustrous lizards, I'm wondering about lizard and snake skin, though.
    I may have to make this a long term project....

Take your time R., browse the Internet, and find a place near you where you can try on some different brands and sizes. Personally, I like the rustic, vintage, distressed looks. The Golondrina Bluebirds are ornate and the rustic finishing is gorgeous. All of the others you and Dulci have mentioned in the thread are amazing. I've also looked at several of the womens and mens selections in the Old Gringo and they are all quite impressive.

Speaking of distressed leather, here are my Lucchese lust objects

Nice ones, Michael.
    I still like your Lustrous Lizards best. They have heart and they are, well, lustrous.

Some of the sites say to size down one size from your normal shoe. Do you find this so?
    How do you care for reptilian hide, btw?

Nice ones, Michael.
    I still like your Lustrous Lizards best. They have heart and they are, well, lustrous.

Some of the sites say to size down one size from your normal shoe. Do you find this so?
    How do you care for reptilian hide, btw?
    Thanks, I still like my "Lustrous Lizards" best as well. They have personal history and are well broken in. Very easy care also. My pair has been to countless Mardi Gras parades, bars, work, outdoor events, etc. All I use to clean them is a spray-on reptile cleaner that cleans in seconds, spray and wipe with no polishing necessary. The main rule is too keep them clean. Do not let dirt or dust linger on the material for an extended period. Matter of fact, I think I'll wear my LLs today.

I have never heard the one size down sizing recommendation. That does not apply to me because my right instep is slightly higher than my left. I consistently wear a half size larger in a boot or slip-on shoe otherwise they will be too tight across the top of my right foot. I have very high arches so I have to ensure the instep fits snug but not too snug. Sizing is personal and may vary a bit between brands, materials, toe and heel style. When sizing boots and slip-ons, I start at my regular shoe size and go up or down form that point depending on fit. For you, I would start at maybe a half-size down and try larger sizes afterward to compare fit. When you settle on a pair, be sure to try other sizes in that same brand, material, and toe and heel style to verify proper fit.

Mine, today:

A little scuffed and worn, and not so practical in the snow. I'm really liking the patina and life of your boots, sloan.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Mine, today:

A little scuffed and worn, and not so practical in the snow. I'm really liking the patina and life of your boots, sloan.
    Thanks, they have aged and worn well. Yours above are pretty sharp. Love the shade of brown and the stitching. They look great on you.

I agree, very pretty! thanks for posting the pic, Tang, and thanks for the tips, Michael.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 21st January 2008 at 01:18 AM. Reason: shyness