Code of Conduct

Default Men and Soliflores

I just purchased L'Artisan's Tubéreuse and it made me realize that I'm a closet white floral fan. There's something so creamy, sexy and skin-like to tuberose that I needed to own a fix for those days that I crave this buttery, indolic flower. The other soliflore I recently purchased is Annick Goutal's Gardénia Passion, god help me if I'm unconsciously turning into a drag queen!
    I've tried a smattering of women's floral classics, but I find that most of them work better in theory than in reality, with perhaps the sole exception of Creed's 19th century Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie, a blend of sandalwood and jasmine that I find close to perfection.
    I've tried Fleur le Male and while I found it very intriguing, it seemed like it had loads of sweetness added to the white flowers.
    My next floral to explore is the rose. I have Black Aoud, so lovely, SO LOUD! I also love ADC's Rose Poivre and Serge Lutens Sa Majesté la Rose. Iquitos and C&S 88 don't do it for me; I find them suffocating. On the other hand, I love Richard James, but it's a mixture of so many different things.
    Any soliflore men's ideas?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 16th January 2008 at 05:02 AM.

Default Re: Men and Soliflores

What do you think of Carnal Flower ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    What do you think of Carnal Flower ?
    That's one I need to try next time I'm in Barneys!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    That's one I need to try next time I'm in Barneys!
    Yeps, its definitely full bottle worthy. If you can wear Sa Majeste Rose and L'Artisan Tuberose, you can easily wear Carnal Flower.
    -

I love soliflores ( certainly far more than floral blends ), and I'm currently on a carnation jag. Ayala Moriel's new Incarnation is a very interesting unisex carnation fragrance: it has a tart woody quality to it that I find difficult to describe.
    Unfortunately, I've yet to find a gardenia I'm happy with. Kai was a watery floral to my nose that simply didn't smell like gardenia; Stephanie came much, much closer but I still found a certain natural roundness wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    If you can wear Sa Majeste Rose and L'Artisan Tuberose, you can easily wear Carnal Flower.
    Yes, Carnal Flower has a green note that edges it towards unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I love soliflores. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a gardenia I'm happy with. Yes, Carnal Flower has a green note that edges it towards unisex.
    The Goutal Gardenia also has a green/sharp note that helps it cross-over to the unisex world.

MPG Tubereuse is my favorite tuberose followed closely by Jo Malone Tuberose.

For roses, Christiane Celle Calypso Rose is honeyed rose with freesia, iris, and barely perceptible clove. Smells like fresh candied roses. Jo Malone Roses cologne is worth testing as well.

Parfums DelRae Amoureuse is the most stunning floral I have tested in a long time. Tubrose and jasmine over a honey, cedar, and sandalwood. I know Aedes carries it and I think Barney's has it as well.

TDC Jasmin de Nuit is a new favorite introduced to me courtesy of another generous Basenoter.
    Last edited by Sloan; 16th January 2008 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    MPG Tubereuse is my favorite tuberose followed closely by Jo Malone Tuberose.
    For roses, Christiane Celle Calypso Rose is honeyed rose with freesia, iris, and barely perceptible clove. Smells like fresh candied roses. Jo Malone Roses cologne is worth testing as well.
    Parfums DelRae Amoureuse is the most stunning floral I have tested in a long time. Tubrose and jasmine over a honey, cedar, and sandalwood. I know Aedes carries it and I think Barney's has it as well.
    TDC Jasmin de Nuit is a new favorite introduced to me courtesy of another generous Basenoter.
    I tried the MpG and found it a to be bit dusty for me. I hadn't a clue about the Jo Malone, Hmmm... I've tried the DelRae, but now need to re-try it. Jasmin de Nuit sounds promising.
    Thanks Sloan.

Mona di Orio flowers: Oiro and Carnation are very good.
    Parfumerie Generale Tubereuse and Caron`s Tubereuse are fresh - and creamy. And Passage #9 La Collection Particuliere by Christian Dior is tuberose, jasmin and fleur d`orange, gorgeous as Gisele Bundchen...

About ROSE - try Rosine frags! Just every of them!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Mona di Orio flowers: Oiro and Carnation are very good.
    Parfumerie Generale Tubereuse and Caron`s Tubereuse are fresh - and creamy. And Passage #9 La Collection Particuliere by Christian Dior is tuberose, jasmin and fleur d`orange, gorgeous as Gisele Bundchen...About ROSE - try Rosine frags! Just every of them!
    I have a sample of Oiro from Aedes that I need to give a full wearing tomorrow.

The one carnation that I find to be be truly awful is Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi. As subtle as a caveman's club.

Some suggestions for green, fresh soliflores that are very close to the real smell of the flowers and quite wearable IMHO:

Diptyque Ofrésia (Freesia)
    Christiane Celle Chevrefeuille (Honeysuckle)
    D'Orsay Tilleul (Linden)
    Floris Night Scented Jasmine
    Comme des Garcons Lily
    L'Artisan Oeillet Sauvage (Carnation)
    Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie (Mimosa)

And Carnal Flower is a must-have if you like tuberose with a fresh and spicy edge!
    Last edited by Gerald; 16th January 2008 at 07:25 AM.

Off-Scenter

I got me no problem wearing soliflores! As others have already suggested, Carnal Flower is a must-try. Serge Lutens's Tubereuse Criminelle may be an even easier-to-wear tuberose for men, as it's far less heady than most and its camphorous notes give it a nice, refreshing sharp edge.

If Black Aoud is too much for you, and you still want a woody rose, try Montale's Attar or Royal Aoud (both less "forward" than Black Aoud), or Czech $ Speake No. 88. Some brighter, crisper soliflores I like to wear are CdG Series 1 Leaves: Lily, and Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's mesmerizing Padme Lotus. Though I think it's been discontinued, CdG Carnation is a wonderful spiicy, easy-wear foral for men that may still be on the shelves. Other winners on me are Annick Goutal's Chevrefeuille and Olivia Giacobetti's En Passant (lilac) for Frederic Malle.

Basenotes Institution

Ruggles - so you finally decided to throw open the closet door and embrace your inner drag queen...I mean love of white florals!?

I think most of the above recommendations sound great. One that wasn't mentioned (that I happened to be wearing right now, as I type this) is A La Nuit by Serge Lutens. A fantastic, strong and indolic jasmine fragrance.

Also, the recommendation above from moon_fish for Carnation by Mona di Orio is a good one - but Carnation is not a carnation flower soliflore, it's a floral fragrance with notes of bergamot, wallflower, geranium, ylang ylang, violet, jasmine, sandalwood, musk, amber and styrax. I know...it's confusing, but I think they used the word carnation as the French term for 'complexion [of the skin]' instead of carnation the flower. I havent' smelled it, but they have it at Aedes.

One more thing - on the tuberose kick: Have you smelled Fracas? Screaming tuberose. Subtle it aint. If it's good enough for Madonna (she supposedly wears this) it's good enough for you Rugs.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th March 2008 at 01:21 AM.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the great Caron Pour un homme yet!
    The best lavender soliflore there is!
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...I think most of the above recommendations sound great. One that wasn't mentioned (that I happened to be wearing right now, as I type this) is A La Nuit by Serge Lutens. A fantastic, strong and indolic jasmine fragrance...
    Good point! In fact, the more recent Serge Lutens jasmine, Sarrasins, seems to me less sweet and heady and might be even easier to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    One more thing - on the tuberose kick: Have you smelled Fracas? Screaming tuberose. Subtle it aint. If it's good enough for Madonna (she supposedly wears this) it's good enough for you Kevin.
    Fracas freaks me out.

Pour Un Homme de Caron; a simple composition of lavendar with amber and vanilla base.
    RM

C A R O N
    Pour Un Homme
    "Les Plus Belles Lavandes"

'Création Spéciale'

This is a different version of it, and I just received the (vintage) bottle. I think the lavender is a little different, but need to compare them side by side. This is certainly pure, beautiful lavender without anything else (no Amber). The drydown is warmer than what I pick up from lavender oils.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!