Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Red lipstick article - NY Times

The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Default Re: Red lipstick article - NY Times

No, not everyone can wear red lipstick.
    Me for one. I am pale but warm toned so the brown/reds go with my tone. But the trouble is they make my teeth look yellow too!!!! I have thin lips which also is not good for the red lipstick look.

Strangely deep browns work great on me.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    No, not everyone can wear red lipstick.
    Me for one. I am pale but warm toned so the brown/reds go with my tone. But the trouble is they make my teeth look yellow too!!!! I have thin lips which also is not good for the red lipstick look.
    I can't wear red lipstick either. I have really fat lips so that any shade of lipstick makes me look like a clown. Even tinted lipbalms make me feel self-conscious about the size of my lips.

Blog Entries

I can't wear lipstick either - well... I put it on and in 5 minutes I've eaten it all off. I like the way it looks on other people but it just won't work on me - so I stick to lipgloss
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I feel naked without my red lipstick!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I used to love lipstick, red in particular. I used to work in cosmetics, I was at Sephora most recently, and I always wore red lipstick. YSL #57 and Dior "Tres tres Dior were favorites of mine. I left retail to continue on at university, and have not worn lipstick in 2 years. I used to love to do the whole vampy look, very Chanel/Dior/YSL classic. I do miss doing the strong lip, but it would look a little foolish at this point. Walking around campus in New Hampshire, near the White Mtns, looking like a fashion plate. Instead I now use Weleda lip balm; big difference from Dior reds.

Oh man, I LOVE red! I'm pale with dark brown hair and light blue/gray eyes and I have to say that love the way it contrasts so sharply with my coloring! I own at least three red lipsticks, two by MAC (Russian Red, Glam) and one from Chanel (Coco Red), and they're always a staple in my wardrobe - I would never replace them, never!

Oh yes. I love and wear red lipstick frequently. I am very particular. Not only must the shade of red be perfect, but the texture must be velvety and not drying. My current favorites are MAC Classic Dame and Chanel Fire. It is an ongoing quest, because lipsticks are so often discontinued.

My love affair with red lipstick began when I was 15 and wore a orange based bright (I mean sunglasses out, knock your socks off bright) cheap waxy red. Horrible, but I wore it mainly to annoy my mother because she absolutely hated it. Since then I have gradually worked my way round to shades that suit me better, brown undertones for a subtler look which makes my eyes look bluer and blue undertones if it is a bold red I'm after. I cannot wear orange or yellow based reds at all but I do have a mean glossy deep, dark, almost burgandy colour for when we go to The Rocky Horror Picture Show (and before anyone asks no the husband doesn't come with me or dress up - trust me if he did I would be posting those pictures to the site quicker than you can say "Grant in high heels" )

summer means fireflys

I want to try red lipstick so bad ... but I have never worn it out. (I'm a lipgloss girl)

I would love for someone to go with me to pick it out. I have a terrible time picking out the right color. (and I don't really trust SAs who I think will try to sell you anything!)
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I want to try red lipstick so bad ... but I have never worn it out. (I'm a lipgloss girl)

I would love for someone to go with me to pick it out. I have a terrible time picking out the right color. (and I don't really trust SAs who I think will try to sell you anything!)
    Have you got a red item of clothing that you love to wear? If it looks good on you and is a particular favourite or something you get lots of compliments on, chances are it is because it is a good colour on you. Try matching your lipstick to that. Just a thought.

Exclamation Re: Red lipstick article - NY Times

I stick to berry tones if I'm going for a deeper colour. Maybe I just haven't picked the right shade yet, but whenever I wear red lipstick, I look reminiscent of the poor little child beauty queens I encountered while visiting rellies in the Philippines. Not good!