Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comprehensive list of Rose Scents

Everyone knows the drill...Roses for the boys (predominant or soliflore only...not just because its listed in the notes).

Because rose is so common, I think we should keep it to the most common scents worn by the boys out there (I'm not going to include things like Lipstick Rose...unless someone objects). Think scents that scream ROSE rather than have a wisp. Suggestions please!

1. Rose Poivree (Different Company) - rose, pepper, civet, coriander

2. Rose (Comme des Garcons) - rose, raspberry pulp, geranium

3. No. 88 (Czech & Speake)

4. Paestem Rose (Eau d'Italie)

5. Une Rose (Frederic Malle)

6. Rose Ikebana (Hermes)

7. Rose Secrete (Il Profumo)

8. Voleur de Roses (L'Artisan) - rose & patchouli

9. Rose 31 (Le Labo)

10. Egoiste (Chanel)

11. Rose d'Homme (Rosine)

12. Twill Rose (Rosine)

13. Rose de Nuit (Serge Lutens)

14. L'Ombre Dans l'Eau (Diptyque) - rose, blackcurrant leaves

15. Opone (Diptyque) - rose, saffron

16. Lierre Rose (06130)

17. Black Aoud (Montale)

18. No. 18 (Chanel) - rose, ambrette seed

19. Black Tie (Washington Tremlett)

20. Domenico Caraceni (Caraceni)

21. Ungaro III (Ungaro)

22. Fleurs de The Rose Bulgare (Creed)

23. Lady Vengeance (Juiliette has a Gun)

24. Attar (Montale)

25. Rose (Santa Maria Novella)

26. Drole de Rose (L'Artisan) - rose, violet

27. Tenere (Paco Rabanne)

28. Sultan (Swiss Arabian)

29. Fleurs de Bulgarie (Creed)

30. 100% Love (S-Perfume)

31. A.maze (People of the Labrinths)

32. Sa Majeste La Rose (Serge Lutens)

33. Tea Rose (CB I Hate Perfume)

34. Hammam Bouquet (Penhaligon's)

35. Rose Barbare (Guerlain) - rose chypre

36. Zino (Davidoff)

37. Rose Musk (Montale)

38. Via Verri (Etro)

39. Acqua di Parma Colonia (Acqua Di Parma)

40. Castile (Penhaligon's) - rose, neroli

41. Story (Paul Smith)
    Last edited by Dane; 17th January 2008 at 01:48 PM.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Comprehensive list of Rose Scents

Nice thread Sofresh!

Im screaming BLACK TIE by Washington Tremlett, my favourite male rose to date!

Post Thanks / Like

Domenico Caraceni pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Ungaro lll

Creed FdB

AdP Colonia
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Post Thanks / Like

good post,but which is the rose for men more masculine? nº 88 ?
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

There are LOTS of roses out there, but I don't know where to draw the line for boys...
    I see you listed Une Rose, then maybe Annick Goutal Rose Absolue or Santa Maria Novella Rosa? Jo Malone's Red Roses might be a bit too feminine though. I imagine Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed can be beautiful on both men and women. How about Nahéma or Paris? Actually Lady Vengeance could perhaps be nice on a male too, if you pretend not to see the name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    There are LOTS of roses out there, but I don't know where to draw the line for boys...
    I see you listed Une Rose, then maybe Annick Goutal Rose Absolue or Santa Maria Novella Rosa? Jo Malone's Red Roses might be a bit too feminine though. I imagine Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed can be beautiful on both men and women. How about Nahéma or Paris? Actually Lady Vengeance could perhaps be nice on a male too, if you pretend not to see the name.
    Its totally subjective...I included the ones that I thought off that I would wear personally...and I'm more apt to wear "feminine" scents than most. Anyway, lots of updates to do!

ps - I wouldn't wear Nahema or Paris

Rose l'homme, Ungaro III, Sultan (swiss arabian perfumeries)...I own this its very good!, Tenere has a pronounced rose note in it to me...

Post Thanks / Like

Drôle de Rose - L'Artisan
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I think that you may have misinterpreted what I previously posted - I mentioned Creed's FdB and not FdRdB.

Also there's Comme de Garcons Rose.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so fresh - these lists are a great idea!

Please add:

100% Love by S-Perfumes
    A.maze by People of the Labyrinths

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Its totally subjective...I included the ones that I thought off that I would wear personally...and I'm more apt to wear "feminine" scents than most. Anyway, lots of updates to do!

ps - I wouldn't wear Nahema or Paris
    Hmm, then probably you would not have worn the Annick Goutal either.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by zeram1 View Post
    I think that you may have misinterpreted what I previously posted - I mentioned Creed's FdB and not FdRdB.

Also there's Comme de Garcons Rose.
    I think I said FdRdB, but you are right FdB is indeed more masculine.
    Last edited by Ascella; 16th January 2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Sa Majeste de Rose - Serge Lutens

Tea/Rose - CB I Hate Perfume

Don't forget Hammam Bouquet!
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This thread is SO welcome! Someone was asking me for recs for masculine roses scents recently and this thread would have been a wonderful link for them.

It has now caused me to want to try to become more familiar with this type of scent so recommendations here are of particular interest to me at this time.

I would like to add Paco Rabanne La Nuit, Ava Luxe Rasa Xtreme and maybe Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit. The Paco Rabanne is definitely very, very good on masculine chemistry. The Ava Luxe is categorised as a musk (in the same genre / grouping as Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan) but the rose is definitely queen in all of them.

I am also going to be gauche and ask if any of you savvy males who own these elixirs would be so kind as to help me obtain samples of them? Especially ones like Le Labo Rose 31 (unavailable in the UK), Ungaro III, and Czech & Speake No.88 - As I am finding it rather hard to source them personally.

Thank you and please forgive my bad manners.
    Last edited by moondeva; 16th January 2008 at 10:01 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

You forgot HAMMAM BOUQUET !

I think someone recently mentioned that Zino by Davidoff was a nice rose based frag too.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Post Thanks / Like

Lauder for men
    Rose d'Homme, Twill Rose - parfums de rosine
    opone and l'ombre dans l'eau (diptyque)
    montale - attar, roses musk and black oud

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe I see Rose Barbare (Guerlain)

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely Black Aoud! Good call, radix023.

I find it interesting that Basenoters now seem obsessed with rose, while the general male [American] public shun rose as if it were a communicable disease. As a gardener first and perfume lover second, rose was/is a natural for me, but I'm always aware that it's still a bit taboo for men to smell recognizably rosy. But then, perhaps it's our mandate to change the status quo!

p.s. My personal favorite rose is currently LeLabo. I could bathe in it!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 16th January 2008 at 11:14 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

I have a tendency to really focus on the Roses in fragrances.

I don't know if other folks smell the Roses in Chanel Egoiste like I do, but to my nose, Egoiste is all about Roses. When I think about Egoiste, I think about Roses. When I wear Egoiste, I get Rose from the very first moment of application all the way to the far drydown, and even the next day. Egoiste used to be my Number 1, but now I have too many favorites to pick a Number 1. Mmmmm, Chanel Bois des Iles, a close relative of Egoiste, also has a very nice Rose!

On the other hand, you have Chanel Platinum Egoiste listed, and yet I get ZERO (zip, nada, absolutely nothing) Roses from Platinum Egoiste. But then of course, I don't get much of anything at all from Platinum Egoiste...

Another fragrance that is very big with the Rose, in my opinion, is Aramis JHL. When I wear JHL, I am always very aware of the Rose. Oh yeah, I am also aware of the cinnamon, carnation, fir, labdanum, sandalwood, and patchouli, but I am always extremely focused on and aware of the Rose. I love JHL - it is one of my favorite fragrances!

Acqua di Parma Colonia is another fragrance that, to my nose anyway, is big with the Rose. A real cologne with a prominent note of beautiful Rose! What more could a fragrance aficionado ask for?

Czech & Speake Dark Rose is one of the most beautiful Roses I know. What a tragedy that this fragrance is now out of distribution!

You already have Czech & Speake No. 88 and Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme listed, and how right you are to do so! What wonderful Roses!

I have to admit --- I love the Roses!
    Last edited by Rockford; 17th January 2008 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radix023 View Post
    Lauder for men
    Rose d'Homme, Twill Rose - parfums de rosine
    opone and l'ombre dans l'eau (diptyque)
    montale - attar, roses musk and black oud
    Um...did you even read the list? All of those were listed, except for roses musk...which I will add. Comme des Garcons was already there as well.

With regard to Lauder for Men...I know it contains rose, but I'm looking for suggestions to people looking for a predominantly rose-based scent.

My mistake on the Egoiste/Platinum...listed the wrong one. I don't get ANY rose from Acqua di Parma???
    Last edited by Dane; 17th January 2008 at 01:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is considerable rose in Acqua di Parma. It is lemon and rose flanked by various other notes.

Penhaligons Castile belongs here (neroli and rose), and so does Etro Via Verri, a unisex rose scent.
    Was Iquitos on the list, I think so?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Definitely Black Aoud! Good call, radix023.

I find it interesting that Basenoters now seem obsessed with rose, while the general male [American] public shun rose as if it were a communicable disease. As a gardener first and perfume lover second, rose was/is a natural for me, but I'm always aware that it's still a bit taboo for men to smell recognizably rosy. But then, perhaps it's our mandate to change the status quo!

p.s. My personal favorite rose is currently LeLabo. I could bathe in it!
    Basenoters have changed considerably. I remember a different situation in 2004/2005. It's like a coming out with florals now, and , interestingly, this seems to have begun with newcomers around 2006. Western men are generally never even caught sniffing at roses, or any bouquet of flowers in a vase. He gives the bouquet, she shows being delighted, and both think of something else, usually ! Men however created all the various sorts, oils, and perfumes during past centuries... Did they really not take any interest in their own creations??
    Maybe I overlooked it, but in spite of the pink packaging Yves Saint Laurent's Paris is a happy, fresh garden rose which smells quite green as well (more, I think than Sa Majestée... does). It lasts well, too. Rose Barbare, I am very curious about: '....rose replacing peach in Mitsouko ? Francis Kurkdjian - has he done anything below perfect ? Half an hour into Baiser du Dragon : Bulgarian Rose, dark and deep!
    Last edited by narcus; 17th January 2008 at 02:52 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Annick Goutal Rose Absolue EDP
    Christiane Cielle Calypso Rose
    Czech & Speake Rose
    Diptyque L’Eau
    Eau d’Italie Paestum Rose
    Frederic Malle Editions de Parfums Lipstick Rose
    Frederic Malle Editions de Parfums Une Rose
    Fresh Bulgarian Rose EDP
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica
    Jo Malone Red Roses
    Keiko Mecheri Damascena EDP
    Keiko Mecheri Mogador EDP
    L’Occitane 4 Reines EDP
    L’Occitane Eau des 4 Reines EDT
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Rose Opulente
    Molinard Rose
    Montale Aoud Roses Petals EDP
    Paco Rabanne XS Pour Homme
    Parfums Zero Six Cent-Trente Yuzu Rouge
    Sonia Rykiel Rykiel Rose
    The Perfumer’s Workshop Tea Rose
    Yves Rocher Rose Ispahan
    Yves Rocher Rose Absolue EDP

Last edited by scentemental; 18th January 2008 at 01:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Basenoters have changed considerably. I remember a different situation in 2004/2005. It's like a coming out with florals now, and , interestingly, this seems to have begun with newcomers around 2006. Western men are generally never even caught sniffing at roses, or any bouquet of flowers in a vase. He gives the bouquet, she shows being delighted, and both think of something else, usually ! Men however created all the various sorts, oils, and perfumes during past centuries... Did they really not take any interest in their own creations??
    Maybe I overlooked it, but in spite of the pink packaging Yves Saint Laurent's Paris is a happy, fresh garden rose which smells quite green as well (more, I think than Sa Majestée... does). It lasts well, too. Rose Barbare, I am very curious about: '....rose replacing peach in Mitsouko ? Francis Kurkdjian - has he done anything below perfect ? Half an hour into Baiser du Dragon : Bulgarian Rose, dark and deep!
    I would go as far as to say Rose Barbare is a rose-version of Mitsouko...but it technically is a chypre. Mitsouko stands on its own imo.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get ANY rose from Acqua di Parma???
    sofresh, you are not the only one, I don't smell it either. Weird, huh? I also don't get rose in Castile...I just remember smelling neroli.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th January 2008 at 08:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go as far as to say Rose Barbare is a rose-version of Mitsouko...but it technically is a chypre. Mitsouko stands on its own imo.
    I agree, but according to the French school Mitsouko has been classified as a chypre too: a fruity chypre (see; Osmoz directory, or H&R Genealogy).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    sofresh, you are not the only one, I don't smell it either. Weird, huh?
    I didn't notice the rose in Acqua di Parma 'Colonia' when I bought it. But as soon as I wore it the duality of a classical cologne and a rose perfume disturbed me so much that I developed a headache. I gave it away and used AdP 'Colonia Assoluta' for a while. This is practically the same thing without the rose - quite a relief to me! Nevertheless the original Colonia is truly unique!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Tea rose from the Perfumer's Workshop. This... "stuff" has a longevity and silage comparable to no other I have owned. It is so cheap and has a color that makes you think it is radioactive. I am afraid it could give you cancer. And yet, I kind of like it as it is a one note scent: a VERY small aplication is perfect to layer anything.

I get dry, masculine rose in the the dry down of Spiritus/Land by Miller et Bertaux, though I know of other reviewers who say that they cannot detect the rose at all. It is, to me at least, in very similar territory as Oponê (from what I remember of Opon&#234. I like it very much, it was a fortuitous find for me.
    Last edited by lunarpanic; 17th January 2008 at 09:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add Red Sea by M.Micallef. Lately I've been obsessed with rose, and I've tried most of the frags mentioned in this thread, but this one is by far my favorite.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Burberry Brit is a masterpiece with a strong character of rose.

Floris No. 89 is a woody rose scent.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

C & S Dark Rose, and Rose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Two Neil Morris scents that clearly belong here:

Flowers for Men: Rose

Vanille Rosé

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that Ormonde Jayne's Ta'if (Damascus Rose) could be marketed as unisex.

Top: Pink pepper, saffron and dates
    Heart: Rose oil, freesia, orange flower absolute and jasmine
    Base: Broom (?) amd amber
    Last edited by silverbullet; 1st March 2009 at 02:51 AM.

Iquitos (Alain Delon)

No list of rose scents is complete without this gem.

Antaeus has a rose note to my nose which appears in some versions of the pyramid.

Courtesy of zztop

Notes (from chanel.com):
    Top: Clary sage, Lavender
    Heart: Patchouli, Sandalwood
    Base: Amber, Rockrose, Spice, Honey

Post Thanks / Like

I totally second or third Iquitos.
    Let's not forget Etat Libre d'Orange's Rossy de Palma.
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 1st March 2009 at 06:16 AM.

Ta'If is a favourite rose for me, Rossy de Palma as well. Odori Zafferano is also e VERY rose prominent scent to my nose. It almost feels like a Montale.

Post Thanks / Like

Lorenzo Villoresi's Musk is a nice powdery rose.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

This list needs Cannabis Rose by Fresh.

Post Thanks / Like

Amouage's Lyric for Men and Homage need adding to the list. Also Yuzu Rouge by 06130 has a great rose note underneath the citrus and cassis.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant