Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1

    Default Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    For me it's Mitsouko. I don't wear it often, but when I do, I get weak in the knees. It's the smell of the moment after perfection. It's the smell of modern life, of things about to fall apart. Thomas Mann meets the Fight Club, J. Edgar Hoover in a gown, smoking a cigar and compiling his hit list, Richard Nixon the moment before he resigned, Eric Honecker, Lucille Ball, Charlie Manson and Nicholas Sarkozy together on a peace mission.
    Wearing it always leaves me asking myself, "what comes next?"
    Jicky is often sited as the decisive moment of "modern" for Geurlain, but for me, Mitsouko represents the moment of our perdition.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 22nd January 2008 at 09:42 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    which concentration Ruggles? The most perfect scent I've ever smelled is Houbigant's Quelques Fleurs. It reminds me of walking through Bergdorf for the first time as a kid, it reminds me of the Plaza Hotel, of opulence, and luxury. I can't wear it as it's VERY feminine, but when my mom wears it I follow her around the house like a lunatic.
    Last edited by nthny; 18th January 2008 at 03:35 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Parfumerie Generale Querelle. A very surreal wearing experience. You walk into a nondescript motel room that looks like all the others in which you have stayed. A lingering smell is very familiar and musky. Your vision suddenly blurs as if your head has been shaken from side to side. You hear a low, animal (human?) sound (growl?moan?) in your head as your vision stabilizes. You sense that something intensely pleasurable and rushed has happened in this place. You mourn that you were not a part of it, but you can still enjoy its resonance.
    Last edited by Sloan; 18th January 2008 at 03:53 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Parfumerie Generale Querelle. A very surreal wearing experience. You walk into a nondescript motel room that looks like all the others in which you have stayed. A lingering smell is very familiar and musky. Your vision suddenly blurs as if your head has been shaken from side to side. You hear a low, animal (human?) sound (growl?moan?) in your head as your vision stabilizes. You sense that something intensely pleasurable and rushed has happened in this place. You mourn that you were not a part of it, but you can still enjoy its resonance.
    Very David Lynch.
    I'm glad that I'm not alone in choosing to use my bottles as portable intelligence.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Parfumerie Generale Querelle. A very surreal wearing experience. You walk into a nondescript motel room that looks like all the others in which you have stayed. A lingering smell is very familiar and musky. Your vision suddenly blurs as if your head has been shaken from side to side. You hear a low, animal (human?) sound (growl?moan?) in your head as your vision stabilizes. You sense that something intensely pleasurable and rushed has happened in this place. You mourn that you were not a part of it, but you can still enjoy its resonance.
    oh my God I I need to experience this!!! It reminds me to add, if it's ok, JAR's Bolt of lightning, a fragrance which seems to change the barometric pressure in the space it occupies. Your use of the phrase "as if your head has been shaken from side to side" reminded me of this absolutely mind blowing fragrance. It's witchcraft I tell you!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Very David Lynch.
    I'm glad that I'm not alone in choosing to use my bottles as portable intelligence.
    Yes, very Lynch. In my previous post, I wanted to add that wearing it is like walking through the day in Lynch's Mulholland Dr. or Lost Highway. I didn't mention it because I wanted to see if anyone would mention Lynch. Didn't take long. Nice!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    CB I hate perfume—Black March Water---Fresh cut wet grass—dirty mud puddle—lightly ozonic in the middle. Genuinely earthy---Terre d’Hermes Absolute. Dries down to spring sprinkle after the dirt has washed away and the sun attempts to shine through the passing storm clouds.

    I probably wouldn't wear this much, but when I smelled it, it really put me in the space of rainy, ozoney day and fresh cut wet grass---so refreshing, especially when it was 20-something degrees out. More of an personal experience fragrance.--kind of jacked into the matrix olfactory feel.
    Last edited by JickyMan; 18th January 2008 at 04:45 AM.

  8. #8
    Thrax
    Guest

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?
    What exactley is a "Mind F*ck?" It sounds extremely unfavorable.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    For me, the first time I smelled Angel for men on a man who was the furthest thing from an angel.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    What exactley is a "Mind F*ck?" It sounds extremely unfavorable.
    This is not exact, but it is sort of a separate version of reality.

  11. #11
    Dimitrios's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Blue Mountains
    Posts
    3,237

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    This is not exact, but it is sort of a separate version of reality.
    Seperate version of reality ...
    Just what is it exactly your trying to say Ruggles ?
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 18th January 2008 at 05:00 AM. Reason: ...

    SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

    *** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

    FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

  12. #12

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Seperate version of reality ...
    Just what is it exactly your trying to say Ruggles ?
    You either go along with it or you don't, we are now in the realm of poetry.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    \Terre díHermes Absolute. Dries down to spring sprinkle after the dirt has washed away and the sun attempts to shine through the passing storm clouds..
    They make an absolute version? Is it only available at the boutique? I have only seen the toilette in stores, and the website only has the toilette also.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    They make an absolute version? Is it only available at the boutique? I have only seen the toilette in stores, and the website only has the toilette also.
    Sorry Duke, I was just making a personal comparison of Black March Water's heavy earthiness to something I'd imagine as a Terre d'Hermes Absolute.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Diva by Ungaro.

    Crank up the Aïda, boys, and bring out the elephants onto the stage, 'cause we're gonna get all Verdi on your ass.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 18th January 2008 at 01:47 PM.

    Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    *****
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

  16. #16

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Black Aoud - When I wore it for the first time, I felt like I had some sort of strange vertigo (not dizzy or anything).

    Then I met a very interesting and sensual woman who now is my 2nd wife. All this 4 hours after wearing Black Aoud for the first time.....
    Green Dragon

    Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    Sorry Duke, I was just making a personal comparison of Black March Water's heavy earthiness to something I'd imagine as a Terre d'Hermes Absolute.
    shatter my dreams why don't you

  18. #18
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Great thread idea Ruggles - it took me a while to choose a scent...

    The first time I smelled Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens I almost cried. I remember holding back the strong emotional response I had to it. I can still, to this day, remember where I was standing (in the Tomas Maier store in Miami Beach), what the shelf looked like where the bottle was, what color the walls were - everything. It was as if I moved in slow motion for a couple seconds. It got better and better the longer it was on my skin. It haunted me for a couple of days afterwards (kind of like an emotionally charged movie does, after you leave the movie theater).

    When I finally went back and bought a bottle of AS a couple weeks later I clearly remember putting some on, slipping on some brand new Ray Ban aviators and opening up the sunroof of my car - and I felt like I was on top of the world. I was grinning from ear-to-ear and feeling courageous, ecstatic and slightly dizzy.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th March 2008 at 01:21 AM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    I'd like to have worn M7 the first time I saw "Mulholland Drive" one of my favorite movies and Lynch is one of my favorite directors.

    I'm posting this on the off topic board also.

    "Mulholland Drive" was initially done as an ABC pilot movie for TV.

    http://www.lynchnet.com/mdrive/newyorker.html

    and much more pics and info on MD here.

    http://www.lynchnet.com/mdrive/articles.html

  20. #20

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    When I finally went back and bought a bottle of AS a couple weeks later I clearly remember putting some on, slipping on some brand new Ray Ban aviators and opening up the sunroof of my car - and I felt like I was on top of the world. I was grinning from ear-to-ear and feeling courageous, ecstatic and slightly dizzy.
    And then a cop pulled you over and gave you a ticket for speeding!

  21. #21

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    The scent that mind f*ucks me over most has to be Route du Vetiver.

    It's dirty and cold but most of all it's old. Very old. Scent of ages and centuries of wearers claiming their personal greatness. It takes me to the era of the Sun King. I'm in Paris, strolling its hard streets before the boulevards, I'm young, I wear high society's white wool wig, there is gold colored thread on the outside of my jacket, and I smile. I smile all the time. I'm a witty and clever aristocrat courtier, to the court that takes itself to be the summit of culture, art, civilization, intelligence, and mere human conquoring of the wilderness. I'm just a courtier on top of it all, and I do none of it, but I am close to the palace. I'm aware that nothing like this life has exactly happened before, that I'm not a doer or maker, that I'm not a busy body, that I'm merely of the clever fasionable set on the top of everything because of birth and luck of brains. I'm aware that I live greatness and think I'm worthy of it, but at the same time I know the joke is on you. That's what the scent has always said to me when I smell it, and to the people smelling it on me I know the juice says it beautifully: it says "the joke is on you."
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    And then a cop pulled you over and gave you a ticket for speeding!
    And he was wearing Knize Ten, and now I have another kind of emotional response to that scent! (hee, hee)...

  23. #23

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    The scent that mind f*ucks me over most has to be Route du Vetiver.

    It's dirty and cold but most of all it's old. Very old. Scent of ages and centuries of wearers claiming their personal greatness. It takes me to the era of the Sun King. I'm in Paris, strolling its hard streets before the boulevards, I'm young, I wear high society's white wool wig, there is gold colored thread on the outside of my jacket, and I smile. I smile all the time. I'm a witty and clever aristocrat courtier, to the court that takes itself to be the summit of culture, art, civilization, intelligence, and mere human conquoring of the wilderness. I'm just a courtier on top of it all, and I do none of it, but I am close to the palace. I'm aware that nothing like this life has exactly happened before, that I'm not a doer or maker, that I'm not a busy body, that I'm merely of the clever fasionable set on the top of everything because of birth and luck of brains. I'm aware that I live greatness and think I'm worthy of it, but at the same time I know the joke is on you. That's what the scent has always said to me when I smell it, and to the people smelling it on me I know the juice says it beautifully: it says "the joke is on you."
    Very well written sir. Are you a writer first and foremost? If not you should be.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Gaultier^2. I've liked it from the moment I smelt it, but the defining moment would have to be approx 3 Fridays ago.

    I was lying in bed at about 8 am in the morning, not asleep, but not awake, when I felt surrounded by this amazing scent coming from outside the room. It was only feint, but it consumed everything - there was no noise, no light, no sounds, only this one scent in the air (the amber and vanilla from Gaultier^2). I couldn't help but smile and pass back into an extremely enjoyable sleep.

    The only times my girlfriend and I have worn Gaultier^2 have been very 'intimate' or special occasions, so theres also that tied into it, but something about that moment was absolutely perfect, and possibly the most amazing olfactory memory in my life, when nothing existed besides that one scent.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I was lying in bed at about 8 am in the morning, not asleep, but not awake, when I felt surrounded by this amazing scent coming from outside the room. It was only feint, but it consumed everything - there was no noise, no light, no sounds, only this one scent in the air (the amber and vanilla from Gaultier^2). I couldn't help but smile and pass back into an extremely enjoyable sleep, but something about that moment was absolutely perfect, and possibly the most amazing olfactory memory in my life, when nothing existed besides that one scent.
    I only hope that my "final moment" will be as sublime as the one that you've described.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    My first thought ran to Black Aoud, I think because I encountered it when I was still new to niche fragrances and my mind went into a bit of a warp trying to work out what it was and how on earth I could ever bring myself to wear it in public.

    Then my stream-of-consciousness rambling took me from David Lynch to surrealism to... Barton Fink, of all things. And if I hadn't recently trashed that genre of threads several times, I'd be tempted to start a new thread titled, "What would Barton Fink wear?".
    Last edited by Snafoo; 21st January 2008 at 11:28 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  27. #27

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    And if I hadn't recently trashed that genre of threads several times, I'd be tempted to start a new thread titled, "What would Barton Fink wear?".
    "I'll show you the life of the mind! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    You either go along with it or you don't, we are now in the realm of poetry.
    Good answer, I'll go along...

    Tabac Blond, when I first removed it from it's pouch it intoxicated me. I donned my high heeled black leather bad girl boots, tight pants and sought out my man to give him a lap dance. It just seemed the right and only thing to do at the moment, surrounded as I was with that bewitching scent. No thought, no hesitation. Catnip.

    Another was Bulgari's Rose Essentielle, which tenderly sucker punched me and brought me to tears in the middle of Bloomingdales, feeling all my vulnerabilities were instantly exposed.
    This is one scent I cannot wear. At least not yet. Maybe when world peace is achieved. Then I'll feel safe enough to wear it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

    What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

  29. #29

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Diva by Ungaro.

    Crank up the AÔda, boys, and bring out the elephants onto the stage, 'cause we're gonna get all Verdi on your ass.
    Holy snap fingers! I was in that musical (yeah, the musical version)!

    Hmmmm. Antaeus. Perfection perfected while perfectorizing the perfection of a perfect perfume. Perfectly.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    My love for Mitsouko was instantaneous, nostalgic, and deep. For me, it is not about the individual notes (I didn’t know I like chypres, not big on peach, per se), the quality (though, a classic Guerlain, how could it not be), or the history (I don’t really consider myself a collector, even though I do have a scent wardrobe); it is a matter of where Mitsouko takes me. Like a ghost from a Dickens novel, she shows me influences in my life, and makes me question my decisions and my resulting identity.

    Upon application I am transported to a cramped antique store. I am a child, holding my mother’s gloved hand. I am intrigued and intimidated by the beautiful things. The books, hats, furs, flapper dresses, all have a scent, underneath the dust and touch of dry rot. Mitsouko whispers “It’s me…” and I can see her dancing, wooing lovers, smoking brown cigarettes from a long holder, lounging on a rumpled bed. There is a longing… I want to be her. No, I feel that I am already her, a flash of the woman I am soon to become.

    Wrapped in a black stole, hiding her face from the cold, Mitsouko walks through the darkness and into my memories. Although I have never personally known anyone to wear this fragrance, when I go back to my memories, somehow she fits…walking on cobblestones in the rain, becoming conscious of magic all around me in the cottage by the edge of the woods, long afternoons in the echoing library, playing the piano in the parlor, a black cat purring as I sip brandy... She was there all along, watching. I have been haunted and have not realized it until now.

    I feel like Cleopatra in Freaks: glamorous, daring, plotting. An effortlessly beautiful gypsy surrounded by enigmas, never fitting in…the thought of it is actually terrifying. Like Sara in Labyrinth, I have been handed the enchanted peach: the trees begin to turn into a masquerade, and I fall onto the mossy ground, trying to catch my breath, trying to make sense of it all. Gently but deliberately I am swept up into the madness, and I realize…it is exactly what I asked for.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

  31. #31

    Default Re: Your Perfect Scent/Moment/Mind F*ck? And Why?

    The first time I smelled Aramis Havana, I said to my self "That's f*ing COLOGNE!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •