Code of Conduct

Thread: How cold IS it?

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default How cold IS it?

It's sooooo cold that ...
    ... samples just brought in from the mailbox have no smell!

I couldn't even snag a frag smell I'm familiar with (Terracotta Voile d'Ete with its zingy carnation top note) at mailbox temps. PBS television has been running a series on scientists' endeavors to attain absolute zero in the lab, so DH and I have become attuned to the nature of "cold" on the molecular level.

Have you folks noticed this about your mailbox frags, too? (I hear you Australians giggling!)

Thank you, Dee, for positively making my day
    with scads of new smellies.

SIDEBAR: Sunday night football brings Dee's New York Giants to our Green Bay Packers' frigid Lambeau Field (aka the Frozen Tundra). Kick-off temperature is forecast to be 1°F (-17°C), and it's only going to get colder and windier as the night settles in--30% chance of precipitation, too!
    GO, PACK!
    Last edited by Quarry; 18th January 2008 at 07:19 PM.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How cold IS it?

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

I couldn't even snag a frag smell I'm familiar with (Terracotta Voile d'Ete with its zingy carnation top note) at mailbox temps. PBS television has been running a series on scientists' endeavors to attain absolute zero in the lab, so DH and I have become attuned to the nature of "cold" on the molecular level.

Have you folks noticed this about your mailbox frags, too? (I hear you Australians giggling!)

SIDEBAR: Sunday night football brings Dee's New York Giants to our Green Bay Packers' frigid Lambeau Field (aka the Frozen Tundra). Kick-off temperature is forecast to be 1F (-17C), and it's only going to get colder and windier as the night settles in--30% chance of prescipitation, too!
    GO, PACK!

83 F here right now in sunny south Florida. Slight warm breeze..intermittent fluffy white tropical clouds floating by.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't notice the absence of smell right away when I picked up MY wonderful Dee-delivered treats today (woohoo! :bounce -- but after my car warmed up, I started noticing a very delicious & subtle smell on the drive to work. It was -7°F when I woke up this morning, and 2° when I left the house.
    Sniff and let sniff.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    83 F here right now in sunny south Florida. Slight warm breeze..intermittent fluffy white tropical clouds floating by.
    Thanks a lot for the highlights, kbe. Maybe you should go enjoy a swim.

Daughter left Orlando this a.m. (she ran the Disney Marathon this past weekend). Now she's headed back to New Orleans--said she doesn't want to come home to Wis. until after Memorial Day!

Post Thanks / Like

A balmy 49 F in San Francisco... but I'm just replying because I want to say

The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field
    in my best John Facenda voice.

I have just read on Wikipedia that Steve Sabol of NFL Films contests that John Facenda coined the phrase, and that it was really Chris Berman imitating John Facenda. Quarry, can you shed any light - cold or otherwise - on the debate?
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

It's wet here in the south of the UK. Not freezing, just wet. And dark. And miserable. And a bit windy.

Roll on summer!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

It's not too bad today in New Hampshire, probably close to 40 and sunny, but anytime it drops below 80 I want to hibernate. I would probably never leave the house if I were in Wis., then again I do not even like to go out here when it is around freezing. I really should be living in a warmer climate.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Post Thanks / Like

40 degrees F here at 2pm. Q., please give them some resting time to get back to their senses and start surprising you!

Will move to live somewhere in the North in a heartbeat!

Nah, I do not think they swim in Florida this time of a year, it is too cold for them!
    Last edited by Twolf; 19th January 2008 at 04:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SIDEBAR: Sunday night football brings Dee's New York Giants to our Green Bay Packers' frigid Lambeau Field (aka the Frozen Tundra). Kick-off temperature is forecast to be 1F (-17C), and it's only going to get colder and windier as the night settles in--30% chance of prescipitation, too!
    GO, PACK!
    Quarry I thought cold was supposed to be good for frags?

- BTW don't tell anybody here on the East Coast I've been a Pack fan since the days of Vince Lombardi a Brooklyn boy graduate of my alma mater Fordham
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    A balmy 49 F in San Francisco... but I'm just replying because I want to say
    in my best John Facenda voice.
    I have just read on Wikipedia that Steve Sabol of NFL Films contests that John Facenda coined the phrase, and that it was really Chris Berman imitating John Facenda. Quarry, can you shed any light - cold or otherwise - on the debate?
    I can't answer that one, however, I'm inappropriately proud to announce that comic Frank Caliendo, who does thee best John Madden imitation, is from my high school alma mater--Waukesha South Campus. Go, Blackshirts!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Quarry I thought cold was supposed to be good for frags?

- BTW don't tell anybody here on the East Coast I've been a Pack fan since the days of Vince Lombardi a Brooklyn boy graduate of my alma mater Fordham
    I'm sure the frags were well preserved during their travels. They've stopped shivering now. Won't leak your secret!
    Last edited by Quarry; 18th January 2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a Packers fan since my older son latched onto them after Superbowl XXXI.

Maybe I'll wear some snow for them Sunday evening (Neiges, by Lise Watier).

(My other favorite team is whoever plays the Vikings!)

Post Thanks / Like

No complaints here in the US South. Perfect weather right now. Crispy, sunny and cool.
    Check back with me in 4-5 months so I can tell you about that miserbale, sticky, humid Southern summer. Then you'll truly understand MISERY!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

it's cold here in Park City, 20F, but i've noticed that even when it's cold, a higher humidity will encourage the smells

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lupa View Post
    it's cold here in Park City, 20F, but i've noticed that even when it's cold, a higher humidity will encourage the smells
    Welcome, Lupa!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talking Re: How cold IS it?

Welcome, Lupa!!!
    thanks so much, Quarry!

Post Thanks / Like

It seems we are due to get your band of freezing weather next!!
    It's on it's way over the pond as I write. I'll just have to seek out
    my Feminite du Bois, Rahat Loukoum and Cinnabar again.

Post Thanks / Like

40's here in Tennessee ( right at the base of the Smokey Mountains where there is actually snow) but that is plenty cold for me. You would never know I grew up living on Lake Erie! I am such a whimp now......I like it nice and hot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    It's wet here in the south of the UK. Not freezing, just wet. And dark. And miserable. And a bit windy.
    Yup, exactly the way I remember it.

:: puts sunglasses on::
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 19th January 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday it snowed here in NJ and my frags arrived in the mail. Of course I ripped open the packages like a rabid beast. The bottles were icy, and sprayed on deliciously cold!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realise they could lose their smell!

Nah we can't really giggle - here in the Capital it's rather cold for summer. Funny coz a few days ago it was really hot!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a few degrees below zero here; not too bad. We've really had an incredibly mild winter, aside from the all the snow. But then I'm from Saskatchewan, originally, where it isn't really cold until your nostrils freeze shut every time you breath.

Yes, any package of 'fumes left outside in this weather will be refreshingly chilly and fairly scentless.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood