Code of Conduct

Default Ratio essential and carrier oil?

I'd like to know what the ratio is between essential and carrier oils to create an EdT/EdP/Parfum. I've read ItalianStallion's excellent post, but couldn't find what I'm looking for - maybe I should read it again...slowly (I got so carried away that I just wanted to GET THINGS DONE!)

Please share if you know - I understand about percentages - so if one says 20% for EdP does it mean 80% carrier oil and 20% essential oil i.e. 80ml carrier and 20ml essential to create a 100ml EdP? Please let me know - I am eager to start creating my own...creations

Default Re: Ratio essential and carrier oil?

Look under Italian Stallion's post under "What are the different strengths of perfume".

When it's 20%, it does mean 20% of the fragrant or essential oil (undiluted) with 80% carrier oil or alcohol.

For those who have more experience than I (which is none, so, I guess I'm asking everybody ) does the actual scent typically change significantly just by changing the dilution rate, or is it primarily just the strength of the scent that changes?

I mean, if you have the same oil blend at 10% or say 25% dilutions, will one just smell weaker, or does this typically change the way the overall scent is perceived?

Tricky question...

Because the nose can detect over 300,000 different scents but only 10,000 unique scents, a diluted scent is essentially weaker but can vary in smell. An undiluted scent (especially essential oils) can be too pungent on the nose.

I remember someone who ordered an animal scent undiluted which smelt absolutely terrible. However, diluting with 95% carrier oil, the scent became quite pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    For those who have more experience than I (which is none, so, I guess I'm asking everybody ) does the actual scent typically change significantly just by changing the dilution rate, or is it primarily just the strength of the scent that changes?

I mean, if you have the same oil blend at 10% or say 25% dilutions, will one just smell weaker, or does this typically change the way the overall scent is perceived?
    depends on what you have in it, and what you're diluting with. the scent perception of something like lavender or rosemary doesn't change significantly with dilution - cardamom and citrus oils, on the other hand, can.

I have tested dilluting in Jojoba oil for several different percentage but found that 20% was way to little for the scent to last for at least a couple of hours.

The last mix I blended I made into 44% just to check it, and it was quite nice.
    But then again, I dont use EO that can be harmful in higher concentrations....

You can check out my comments on this at http://dennisanthony.blogg.se/

// d