Code of Conduct

Default My first blind buy...L'Air du Desert Marocain

So I apologize in advance for the lack of descriptive review to follow. I'm not to the point yet where I can discern notes, despite sampling probably close to 100 fragrances (seriously, at what point do you all get so good at picking out and describing individual scents??)

Anyway, just received L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer from Luckyscent today, and it was my first blind buy, based solely on reviews (because I wasn't sure what the described notes would combine to smell like to me). It's fantastic. Everyone's statements about it being dry are entirely accurate, and its drydown is stupendous. After my first spray to my wrist, I was like "eh", which just goes to prove that you HAVE to wait before forming an opinion on a fragrance. About 30 seconds later, after haphazardly swinging my arm, I was hit with one of the most relaxing, comfortable, and attractive wafts I've ever experienced. After an hour its even better, as it loses the slight stingingness that accompanies the scent if you put your nose right up close to where you sprayed (which I now cannot stop doing). I could see myself wearing this on any occasion, and being nearly distracted with how good it smells.

Ok, sorry I can't be more descriptive, but I would call it a warm sweetness, but not anything near cloying, and very (to my nose) sensual and inviting... I know my girlfriend will love it but I also see myself enjoying wearing it just for myself.

The only downside: I didn't "learn a lesson" not to buy blind. In fact, this might have reinforced what could be a small problem in that I'm almost too trusting of other people's opinions before sampling something. Let's hope this doesn't hurt my wallet and I can refrain from doing this too often.

Default Re: My first blind buy...L'Air du Desert Marocain

Where did you buy it? Did you get a good price?

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 19th January 2008 at 02:30 AM.

Thanks for the great review!.. I've been wondering about this one for a long time! I've been able to learn to pick out notes based on researching fragrances I own, researching those ingredients, going to the perfumers' web pages, reading excellent blogs were notes are described in great detail. Soon without even knowing, you are able to pick out a few notes, then more, etc. For instance, you probably know what coriander and cumin smell like, well, L'AdDM starts out with those... jasmin and cedar are in there, too, and vetiver and amber are two notes you will start to be able to pick out very quickly once you smell enough fragrances with them in there.. so start by learning what those smell like. I hope I'm not sounding too basic, if so no offense meant at ALL

Whatever your note picking prowess, you got me even more intrigued to experience L'Air du Desert Marocain!!!
    Last edited by nthny; 19th January 2008 at 02:36 AM.

I've been at this hobby for a while, and there are a few fragrances that really made an impact on first wearing. Sure, there are those that I really enjoy, or those that I can appreciate for their uniqueness, or their interesting tones, or their new take on an old topic, or whatever. But there are those few really precious instances where a fragrance has really moved me in the way that music or art can, and L'Air du Desert Marocain was one of those for me. I still love it. That dry vetiver and amber drydown is just heaven.
    Unfortunately, I cant afford to take chances on blind buys, so my motto has been, "Thou shalt sample." And I do, no matter how glowing the reviews.
    Thanks for your post.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    I've been at this hobby for a while, and there are a few fragrances that really made an impact on first wearing. Sure, there are those that I really enjoy, or those that I can appreciate for their uniqueness, or their interesting tones, or their new take on an old topic, or whatever. But there are those few really precious instances where a fragrance has really moved me in the way that music or art can, and L'Air du Desert Marocain was one of those for me. I still love it. That dry vetiver and amber drydown is just heaven.
    Ditto.

It's also the only fragrance in my wardrobe that comes closest to being considered my signature scent (for the simple reason that it's unique, of high quality, extremely versatile and an all-year rounder).

I too bought it blind and am I glad I did! This is perfume at its finest!!!!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Agree that this one just gives me so much satisfaction. It is a mood lifter for me. Great longevity and sillage. Like Terre d'Hermes, I prefer this one in warmer temps. It glows in warm weather.

By the way, I like Incense Extreme. Stikes me as stark, spare, and direct. Is this what Ellena would do with Incense? I cannot wait for Incense Rose; a marriage of what is fast becoming two of my favorite notes ever.

<deleted>
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 19th January 2008 at 04:19 PM.

Basenotes Institution

After owning L'Air for about 6 months now...there is a part when it dries down and the birch tar note mixes with some other 'creamy' note that is incredibly strange. It smells like you're sitting by a campfire that's extinguished and someone just opened a container of vanilla ice cream. Everytime I wear LADDM and the fragrance goes thru this phase, I just smile.

Enjoy - it's wonderful stuff.

I love L'Air. Normally amber fragrances can get cloying, but it's genius how this one never does that. The dryness offsets it perfectly. It's very unusual and very comforting, without getting boring.

And I love the fact that Andy Tauer (the creater of L'Air du Desert) uses a lot of natural materials. He also doesn't use pthalate de-natured alcohol in his fragrances like most mainstream perfume brands do (pthalates have been linked to certain health concerns).

I normally try and discourage people from blind-buying just about anything, but I recently broke my own rule for Orange Spice, and am glad I did! It took a day or two to get the hang of, but now I love it!

I just received a sample of Black Aoud, and it smells exactly like I expected it to, given the other Montales we've discussed as reference points. I could have blind-bought this, but I'm still glad I got the sample first to confirm my suspicions.

So I think a person's success with blind-buys will most likely correlate with how much research they did on the scent before deciding to buy. Reading reviews and getting reccommendations can take you most of the way, but you've still got to make that leap of faith once in a while!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I am now confident about my blind-buys and I have been successful in all of them. My initial blind-buys were a disaster because I didn't have complete knowledge of what I loved and what I hated. I had to try a little bit, in order to discover.

Now I know that I hate all the aquatics, and all the fragrances that have medicinal notes in them. I also discovered that 10-dollar fragrances are a risky bet.

Lucius

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 19th January 2008 at 07:51 PM.

I suppose I'm qualified to comment as I had my first introduction to L'Air du Desert Marocain earlier today (Saturday) - a LuckyScent sample which came in the mail a few days ago along with some Montales, Nasomattos, Divines, Domenico Caraceni, & Heeley. (Buying samples is a whole lot easier on my pocketbook and shelf space and allows me to buy a little time). Sorry for the digresion. During my first hour of L'Air du Desert Marocain I thought this was one I could probably live without. But then a little later into the drydown, a very nice, tangy, dry (yet with a slight sweetness to it) integrated scent image with personality appears that was both unique and feels like it contains quality ingredients. So I am definitely going to give this one closer attention.

I also had my first experience with L'Air du Desert Marocain today, in a package of samples that I ordered from Tauer Perfumes. I got samples of Lonestar Memories, Incense Extreme, Reverie du Jardin, and the LAdDM, which in fact has turned out to be my favorite.

I'm not very good at discerning individual notes either, but I don't really sweat that part of it so much. For me it's more of an impressionistic thing. With the L'air du DM, I really got this sense of dry, arid land and, oddly enough, hot rocks! I do find it really uplifting and comforting, and I could absolutely fall in love with this scent and wear it often. I will almost certainly buy a bottle of this. I like the Incense Extreme also, but it didn't make nearly as strong an impression on me. Andy says he was going for a "transparent incense" and I think that describes it pretty well, but...

I have to admit that I don't care that much for the Lonestar Memories or the Reverie du Jardin, which although it's not necessarily a feminine scent per se, has more of a floral kind of vibe that I wouldn't wear. The Lonestar Memories is a weird fragrance for me: It's supposed to be a leathery scent but I don't really get that. There was something really medicinal about it at first that was really familiar, but took me a while to identify as a cross between creosote and some kind of minty-pepsin note. That kind of went away after a while, but I still wasn't feeling the drydown.

This experience actually speaks to the whole "blind-buy" question, as well. People online have been just raving about the Tauer frags, and don't get me wrong, they are really well done, but without getting these samples (for $20 or so) I would never have been able to discern which one I was going to be wild for and which ones were destined to leave me cold...