Code of Conduct

Thread: Florals for Men

Default Florals for Men

I adore florals. I was smelling a bunch of estee lauder women's perfumes today and i was sick with envy, they smelled divine. I wouldnt dream of wearing one, however. Can anyone reccommend some nice, attainable, floral men's or unisex florals? I have CkOne and Lauder Pleasure for men and they're my two favourites.

Default Re: Florals for Men

Insensé by Givenchy is a personal favorite (but NOT the Ultramarine version -- not unless you like smelling like grapefruit and Aqua Net hairspray, anyway). Another fave is Royal Delight by Creed -- lush jasmine and leather. Erolfa's also very nice -- one of about 9 or 10 aquatics that doesn't make me want to retch.

Jockey Club is great (powdery carnations in an old fashioned barbershop), and Kingdom can't be beat for its naughty, flowery skankaliciousness. Almost any neroli-based frag is a winner. Musc Ravageur is wonderful, but expensive.

I cannot wear Scent Intense, but many other guys are apeshit for it. Black Aoud is an intense, dark rose, as is Iquitos (another one I love but cannot wear). For a lighter take in the same vein, try the delicious Steam Aoud. Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange is unadulterated adultery in a bottle. Expensive as hell, but worth it for its sheer nasty funkitude.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 24th January 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Acqua di Parma Colonia - citrus & rose
    Penhaligon's Castile - Neroli & rose
    dito Hammam Bouquet - heady rose, jasmin, musk, brilliant
    C&S No. 88 - a paler, more gothic rose than HB, must-try
    Domenico Caraceni - Rose, tobacco, splendid gentility
    Acqua di Genova - white floral EdC, springtime freshness
    Caswell-Massey No. 6 - a classic EdC with a soft floral aspect
    Asprey EdC - another citrus-floral unisex EdC
    d'Orsay Etiquette Bleue - Neroli heaven
    Maxim's pour homme - neglected masculine 80s scent with white floral heart
    Dukes of Pall Mall - all but disappeared - the classic English citrus & floral scent, to die for
    Crown Sandringham - a men's muguet
    Alexander Julian - a floriental for men
    dior homme - iris
    CN Scent Intense - jasmin & hibiscus
    Creed, Green Irish Tweed - violets, iris
    Il Profumo, Vetiver de Java, a slightly soapy floral on me, I like it alot
    Eau de Patou - a wonderful unisex floral summer scent
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Search the forum a bit, there have been numerous threads about this subject.
    That said,since you seem quite young and probably don't have the money to get all the high-end niche stuff suggested (...), you can give a look at some inexpensive scents such as Tabac Original and English Leather.
    In the designer category, Azzaro's Chrome has some similarities with CKOne.
    Lauder's Intuition for men is nice too.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

You're so lucky! Most perfumes are (mixed) floral perfumes. And you have Chandler Burr at your side for help, because a lot of his favorites belong to that category. (Use search for threads from our archives, and find his website using Google). Talking at the women's counter now: was Beyond Paradise among the Lauder perfumes tested? For some reason, even men who like florals gave it low marks here. However it is really a quality fragrance, and done by Calice Becker, an extraordinary perfumer. I think it is heavenly! You'll find it at reduced prices now (web shops, ebay). Try Dioressence - any man can wear that, good for spring and summer! I got my vintage bottle for £ 20 (max. estimate).
    Last edited by narcus; 19th January 2008 at 04:17 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by barely.conscious View Post
    I adore florals. I was smelling a bunch of estee lauder women's perfumes today and i was sick with envy, they smelled divine. I wouldnt dream of wearing one, however.
    I think you could easily wear White Linen by Estee Lauder - the Eau de Toilette version. Not Pure White Linen. Regular, original White Linen. To me, it smells like freshly laundered sheets blowing in the wind. The trick is to NOT over apply - 2 to 3 sprays is all that's necessary. Good luck!

Richard James - Savile Row is a masculine tuberose frag. Smokey and bows to Santos - Cartier.

Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet,the best you can get!

JPGaultier's newish Fleur du Male (white masculine torso bottle) is deeply floral. The dry down is warm but the initial hit is very flowery indeed! Girls I know say it smells masculine and sexy but I am not too sure - it does remind me of a distinguished Headmistress. Yet the smell is very long lasting and quite addictive. Have you tried it?

Versace - The Dreamer

You'll have to call him for samples and it'll be a small charge - but Neil Morris has been working on a line called Flowers for Men. Some are finished, some are not....

His Gardenia for Men is in my top 10 favorite fragrances. I just love it. Its soo well done. Its almost as if Comme des Garcons decided to create a Gardenia scent. Very avant-garde but extremely wearable. And I have to add that this is the only Gardenia scent that I like.

The Lilac that he created is also, I believe finished. And its exquisite as well.
    He has a Rose, that one may also be finished. You'll have to ask him.

They are special order and are $150 for 2 ozs. of Parfum.
    www.neilmorrisfragrances.com
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

My suggestion for a cheap thrill, and it's marketed to men - Sanborns Orange Blossom cologne:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...d=prod1550360#

It was about five bucks, so I couldn't resist picking some up today. I dabbed some on the back of my hand this evening, and I think it will make a nice summer splash.

Quote Originally Posted by leffleur View Post
    My suggestion for a cheap thrill, and it's marketed to men - Sanborns Orange Blossom cologne:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...d=prod1550360#

It was about five bucks, so I couldn't resist picking some up today. I dabbed some on the back of my hand this evening, and I think it will make a nice summer splash.
    I like how one of the reviewers on the Walgreens site says: "...IT SAYS IT'S FOR MEN BUT I WOULD WONDER ABOUT A MAN WHO USES THIS..."

Now I really want to try it!

I'd like to recommend Kiehl's Original Musk. Sure it's a musk but it smells like a million big red roses with just enough dirty to be masculine. When I wear this I feel like I'm wearing a masculine floral.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Paco Rabanne Ténéré is a beautiful floral for men, launched in 1988. It is getting hard to find, but I found a splash bottle not long ago. I decanted it into a spray container, because it works much better diffused by a sprayer on my skin.

Here are the notes:

Bergamot oil, Cassis, Grapefruit, Green Note, Lavender, Lemon, Rosemary
    Anise oil, Artemisia, Carnation, Cinnamon, Honey, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Rose, Tarragon
    Amber, Cedar, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Vetiver
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I've been trying Osmanthus by The Different Company. It's a great floral, unisex, but probably leaning more toward feminine. Yet, I think at the right time (probably a little more toward spring) it will be good to wear. The drydown is certainly more masculine.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

C&S No 88
    Rose Poivree
    Anucci Man
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends under the couch.

Off-Scenter

Here’s the scoop: there are plenty of good male or unisex floral scents in niche market, but precious few among designer scents. No mystery here. Marketing florals to men is not a big money proposition. The way I see it, you’ve got three avenues to pursue when searching for an “accessible” and affordable floral to wear:

Explore designer floral scents marketed toward women.
    You’ll get lots of good suggestions here on Basenotes. I’d like to recommend Hermes Hiris. It’s a nice soft-but-dry floral scent that’s really quite unisex, despite being sold as “feminine.” You should also consider green scents for women that have significant floral components, particularly Estee Lauder Private Collection and Balmain’s Vent Vert. I’ve heard reports from some men who enjoy wearing the green floral Chanel No. 19. Any scent based on lily-of-the-valley (muguet), lavender, linden (tilleul), honeysuckle, (chevrefeuille), or carnation is fair game, too. (Though I frankly think of lavender as more aromatic than floral.)

Try out the few ostensibly floral scents marketed toward men.
    Dior Homme comes to mind immediately. It’s not my favorite, but I’m swimming against the tide here. Most commentators seem to love it. Gaultier’s Fleur du Male is another obvious choice.

Look for the more affordable unisex floral niche scents.
    Comme des Garcons’ scents straddle the line between niche and designer, and they sell several great florals or green florals that are firmly unisex. I heartily recommend Series 2 Red: Carnation, Series 1 Leaves: Lily, and Series 1 Leaves: Calamus. All of these retail at $65 to $70, and run even less if you can find them at discount. Meanwhile, Diptyque makes some of the best floral-tinted unisex fragrances around, most of them based on rose notes. Opone is a robust, dry rose scent with saffron, L’Ombre dans L’Eau is a green rose of outstanding poise and balance, and Virgilio is a mellow green scent with a floral heart that smells like a fresh meadow filled with wildflowers. These are all $70 retail for 1.7 oz, which should actually last you quite well, since none of them are wimpy scents. Annick Goutal scents are roughly $70 - $75 for 1.7 oz at full retail, and the line has several easily transgendered florals, including Folavril, Le Muguet, Songes, Le Chevrefeuille, Eau de Ciel, and Neroli. CB I Hate Perfume is an all-unisex line, priced at $55 retail. Its floral offerings include Wild Pansy, M1 Narcissus, Violet Empire, Cradle of Light, and Tea Rose. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz sells some fine masculine and unisex floral scents on her web site. Have a look at Padme Lotus, Eau de Fleurs d'Oranger du Roi, Le Roi Soleil, and Prana. All sell at about $75 for a one ounce bottle of eau de parfum.

Hope this helps, and happy hunting!

L'homme de coeur by Divine has an iris that is out of this every loving world. It is my numero uno summer fragrance, and I am almost out of it, so a new one is coming this summer.

This is really a perfect manly floral IMHO.

Oh, Rose 31 by Le Labo is nearly perfect as well, and should be in the wardrobe of every man who loves florals, but doesn't want to smell girly.

Neither of these two are women's fragrances, they are most definitely for men.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 22nd January 2008 at 03:27 AM.

I adore florals. I was smelling a bunch of estee lauder women's perfumes today and i was sick with envy, they smelled divine. I wouldnt dream of wearing one, however. Can anyone reccommend some nice, attainable, floral men's or unisex florals? I have CkOne and Lauder Pleasure for men and they're my two favourites.
    If you like Carnations, then Dunhill for Men 1934. Soft Carnation floral blended with a touch of lemon-Just perfect for a muted yet sensual floral scent...
    --------------------------------------
    almost forgot - Creed Royal Scottish Lavender
    Last edited by greendragon; 22nd January 2008 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Give a try Bvlgary aqua it has a nice petitgrain note.
    ELDO Rien and Vierges et toreros has a prominent base of iris and tuberosa respectively.
    Guerilla 1 &2 from Comme des Garçons could be the winner. 1 has champaca flower and the 2 has a lovely peppery tuberosa.
    I wear Diorissimo from Dior quite a lot, it's lovely and i don't find it overly feminine, even Kenzoflower too could be reating well, just give atry.
    My suggestion is to try anyone that you like on your flesh, don't think if is classified in male/female.
    You chemistry skin will always turn it completely different and probably you'll be surprise
    Good Luck
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Penhaligon
    Castile
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by 2uciano View Post
    JPGaultier's newish Fleur du Male (white masculine torso bottle) is deeply floral. The dry down is warm but the initial hit is very flowery indeed! Girls I know say it smells masculine and sexy but I am not too sure - it does remind me of a distinguished Headmistress. Yet the smell is very long lasting and quite addictive. Have you tried it?
    I second this. I just picked up a small bottle of this. Starts off very floral - so much so you wonder "is this masculine?" and then, while mostly linear, a funky musky scent slowly creeps up and makes it very masculine naughty-dirty. Lasts all day though ends with faint neroli and VERY MUSKY.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

it's not easy to get but its so good for a guy - a light green floral - Chanel Bel Respiro
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Institution

I must agree with the Rose 31 by Le Labo recommendation!

I'm lazy and I haven't read the other responses, but please, if you like the so-called “women's” perfumes, wear them! Adults wear whatever they like so please do.

Two of my favorite perfumes are marketed to women: D&G Light Blue and Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Almost forgot to add West Side by Bond No. 9 -- yum!
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 25th January 2008 at 12:59 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

When i first got into fragrances it never even occured to me to wear a ladies fragrance. I always liked florals the best so i was on the hunt for a floral for men that was just as good as any floral for women. I searched for about a year and only found ONE true floral marketed for men.....and that was Insence' by Givenchy. The one with the yellow juice not that ultramarine crap. After i could not find anymore mens florals thats when i turned to womens fragrances and have not looked back.
    Awesomeguy

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Almost forgot to add West Side by Bond No. 9 -- yum!
    Good point! A very unisex rosy scent, and in my opinion one of the best from Bond.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 25th January 2008 at 12:53 AM.

L'Occitane Neroli EdP - best Neroli scent ever. Castile comes in close though.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    L'homme de coeur by Divine has an iris that is out of this every loving world. It is my numero uno summer fragrance, and I am almost out of it, so a new one is coming this summer.

This is really a perfect manly floral IMHO.

Oh, Rose 31 by Le Labo is nearly perfect as well, and should be in the wardrobe of every man who loves florals, but doesn't want to smell girly.

Neither of these two are women's fragrances, they are most definitely for men.
    I just got a sample from Divine for the L'homme de Coeur - and like Joe_Frances said it's a wonderful and masculine iris. Definitely a good one for the spring - and I will be asking for this for my birthday! The sillage is great yet it's subtle too... I want to keep sniffing my hand... but it's almost better to just let it waft to your nose... this I must say is PEACE in a bottle!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Love it too Jason. Wait until it warms up outside, it is amazing.

Romeo Gigli Pour Uumo. A lot of floral notes in this fragrance - not my favorite because it's really for a man over 30 in my opinion, but if you happen to be, it's very nice to wear. Warm, and close to the skin pretty much define it.

Try Bleecker Street by Bond no. 9 - violet leaf and jasmine. Also try Eau de New York by Bond no. 9 - white lily.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    Try Bleecker Street by Bond no. 9 - violet leaf and jasmine. Also try Eau de New York by Bond no. 9 - white lily.
    I was wondering why no one mentioned Bond Eau de New York...

I love this stuff...it easily lasts 18 hours + on me

gupts

Where do you find Bond stuff Gupts? I haven't seen it here before.