Code of Conduct

Default Extremely Conservative

I would like to know which perfumes can be considered ideal to a very conservative person.

Imagine a man who has never bought a CD of Rock music, or Electronic, or even Jazz. He attends performances at the Lincoln Center in NY frequently. He wears only suits or very high quality informal clothes. He has a lot of money. He is above 30 but below 50. He likes expensive cigars, expensive clothes, expensive cars and expensive video and sound equipment. He likes complex, sophisticated movies (never action movies or blockbusters). He lives in a very nice house, conservatively decorated. He goes to Europe every year.

What perfume does he wear?

(Give examples of perfumes which are currently in production)

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 19th January 2008 at 09:53 PM.

Default Re: Extremely Conservative

Creed Bois du Portugal of course! A man that has it all, and charts his own course through life
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Cacharel Pour Homme

Something masculine and traditional. Not too flashy... he's got better things to spend his time (and money) on.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 19th January 2008 at 10:08 PM.

Divine - L'Homme de Coeur.

I'm currently wearing/testing this as my SOTE from a sample from a very kind BNer.
    It's almost TOO discreet.

Off-Scenter

Yes, Bois du Portugal. Also Bois de Cedrat, Etiquette Bleue, "Vintage" Tabarome, Guerlain Vetiver, Baladin, Madrigal, and especially Santal Imperial.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 19th January 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Judging from his taste in music, he's a prick
    Of course what he'd really be wearing would be a bespoke Creed.
    Off the rack: Vintage Tabarome, hands down.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Carthusia Uomo
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Divine - L'Homme de Coeur.

I'm currently wearing/testing this as my SOTE from a sample from a very kind BNer.
    It's almost TOO discreet.
    Really? I think Homme de Coeur is much too gentle, sweet, and "sensitive" for a guy like this. He'd think it was New-Agey, metrosexual, and "wussie."

Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet
    Gucci Nobile

Both smell restrained and perhaps a little stiff.

If he likes 'complex, sophisticated movies' perhaps he's not that conservative after all. I wonder what music he listens to if he buys expensive sound equipment. If it's classical including contemporary I wouldn't call him conservative at all.

Anyways, not sure what frags smell 'extremely' conservative but these come to mind as somehow conservative:

many Creeds:

both Vintage (soapy leather & tobacco) & new 'fresh' Tabarome
    GIT, OV, REL

Chanel PM
    Tiffany FM
    Chevalier D'Orsay

old Penhaligon's Hammam/Blenheim Bouquet, English Fern, also Douro and lots of other citrusy/barbershopy frags e.g. Trumpers

I wouldn't say it's conservative, perhaps sophisticated however, would choose:

Guerlain Heritage EDT

Off-Scenter

Ooh, lasta's right: I forgot Blenheim Bouquet! It's the ultimate in aloof, pompous formality!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 19th January 2008 at 11:10 PM.

Bel Ami or Equipage. Both by Hermes. Plus Aramis too.

Creed GIT
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Really? I think Homme de Coeur is much too gentle, sweet, and "sensitive" for a guy like this. He'd think it was New-Agey, metrosexual, and "wussie."
    LOL. Perhaps you're right.
    I get broken lead and shaved wood from a No.2 pencil and just a hint of sweetness..(hardly what I'd call metrosexual. Minimalist, maybe.) and even that is hardly lifting off my skin. It's a very hushed scent. Someone who is "extremely" conservative would probably be reluctant to wear a fragrance to begin with. I think L'Homme de Coeur would be great for someone who hardly ever wears a fragrance.

Oh well. Perhaps I should've said Patou Pour Homme...
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 19th January 2008 at 10:57 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Dunhill For Men (1934) in suit and tie, and Czeck & Speake Cuba in his high quality informal attire..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I totally disagree. Conservative people with good taste explore all forms of art: in shapes, in paintings, in music, in smells, in words.

LOL. Someone who is "extremely" conservative would probably be reluctant to wear a fragrance to begin with. :

Funny... I was just reading the reviews for Antaeus, and a few of the reviewers used the word conservative to describe it... Not sure whether I agree or not...

Oh well. Perhaps I should've said Patou Pour Homme...
    Patou PH extremely sophisticated yes, conservative no imo. There's too much going on in PPH to be considered conservative let alone extremely. For me it's almost a romantic scent esp. its opening.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post

I totally disagree. Conservative people with good taste explore all forms of art: in shapes, in paintings, in music, in smells, in words.
    I've always thought extremely conservative people are those who stick with the same thing forever and don't explore anything else. "I only listen to 50s rock music and nothing else!" - this type of thing.
    Last edited by phibess; 19th January 2008 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typo

Brooks Brothers, original EdT for men.
    Pinaud Clubman.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Of course what he'd really be wearing would be a bespoke Creed.
    Off the rack: Vintage Tabarome, hands down.
    This was my first thought as well!

Among others, I would include:

Tiffany for Man
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Polo (Green)
    Heritage
    New York
    Aramis 900
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Dunhill '34
    Knize Ten
    Derby
    Royal English Leather
    Eau Sauvage
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I imagined a conservative man with very good taste, who knows what he likes and stays with what he likes. But the group of things that he does like is not so small. He has very specific tastes, but the world offers enough variety, so he can pick a good amount of things that are truly extraordinary. He likes specific movies, paintings, sculptures, music, perfumes, plays, novels, architectural styles, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    I've always thought extremely conservative people are those who stick with the same thing forever and don't explore anything else. "I only listen to 50s rock music and nothing else!" - this type of thing.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 19th January 2008 at 11:40 PM.

Davidoff Cool Water

Oh, of course. "...would probably be reluctant.." is operative here. I didn't say they do not. However, we ARE talking about the "extreme" end of the conservative spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Patou PH extremely sophisticated yes, conservative no imo. There's too much going on in PPH to be considered conservative let alone extremely. For me it's almost a romantic scent esp. its opening.
    I know. I was just following suit with some of what has already been mentioned so far, which I think are also quite busy. (but smell great...IMO)

Off-Scenter

...Oh well. Perhaps I should've said Patou Pour Homme...
    Oops! I have to wonder about that, too. Patou is potent, and it's classically constructed, but I think its awfully sensual and romantic for a staunch conservative to wear in public.

I'm being terribly disagreeable today, aren't I!

Extremely conservative? A spritz or two of Light Blue for Men...under the shirt no less .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Smile Re: Extremely Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Oops! I have to wonder about that, too. Patou is potent, and it's classically constructed, but I think its awfully sensual and romantic for a staunch conservative to wear in public.

I'm being terribly disagreeable today, aren't I!
    No worries. It's all good.

Vetiver de Guerlain (conservative-traditional-not snob)

Terre d'Hermes (conservative- up to date - not snob)

L'eau d'Hadrien (conservative-traditional-snob)

Ormonde man (conservative -up to date- snob)

I'm with Torvo on the Vetiver de Guerlain

When I need to wear something conservative I ALWAYS reach for Frderick Malles Bigarade Concentree.

Conservative:

Guerlain Vetiver, Creed GIT or Dunhill, and for 'casual' frag possibly Antidote by Victor & Rolf.

This character... sounds more like an eccentric than a social conservative. I'd suggest Creed's Cuir de Russie.

But, but, but... I thought your original premise was that said conservative doesn't listen to jazz or rock!

In any case, I would go with Blenheim Bouquet or Chanel PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Snafoo,

You guys are being nit-picking with me.

My fictitious conservative man explores all forms of art, but he finds very specific niches in each of these forms of art. He knows what he likes and he is very specific.

Satisfied?
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 20th January 2008 at 02:09 AM.

I'm assuming that Mr. Conservative is straight. He's married. His wife picks up his fragrance for him when she's shopping. He still wears something from his college days. Let's say Jazz.
    His wife is trying to get him to switch to something new, the stores that she shops in no longer carry designer fragrances, except those by jewelry and Italian be-spoke clothing houses, so she comes home with Kiton Black for his birthday present.
    They go to The Met every 3rd Thursday, as they've done for the last 10 years. He wears his new Kiton to a production of Der fliegende Holländer and catches up with his sleep.
    He is killed in an avalanche while heli-skiing in Whistler.
    His wife inherits a small fortune and moves to Sante Fe with a Swiss contralto.
    The End.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th January 2008 at 02:14 AM.

Yes, yes. He is straight, married, WASP. But he is not that uptight. He chooses his own fragrance!

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 20th January 2008 at 02:11 AM.

As others have mentioned Creed Bois du Portugal is probably the perfect choice. Also Creed Erolfa is a good one. Guerlain's Heritage is also pretty perfect too and is more conservative than Erolfa.

Since I l share some of the attributes you mentioned,especially a love of classical music and quality clothing and am not a "prick" as Good Life is quick to assume, I would suggest:

Kiton Men
    Royal Briar
    Dunhill for Men
    Chevalier d'Orsay

The first is a quality license from the clothing folks; the second was a favorite of Ronald Reagan and is sold dirt cheap by Carroll & Co. in Beverly Hills; the third is still available in very limited quantity at the Dunhill Store on Fifth Avenue; and the last is at Bergdorf's.

All are subtle yet immensely distinctive; not flashy but very interesting, and would appeal to a conservative with a taste for the kinds of things you mentioned. They are not trendy; they are not about hip style; they are classic or near classic and gentlemanly. All go well dressed up; and are readily available in NYC or by mail or on the NET.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 20th January 2008 at 02:24 AM.

In public: Vintage Tabarome
    In private: Chanel No. 5

Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    In public: Vintage Tabarome
    In private: Chanel No. 5

Are you saying that he's more than his public image?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I think your man might appreciate Lalique for Men (The Lion). It's been called a "boardroom" scent. It is pretty solidly conservative, but also definitely elegant, and IMO it does whisper "power."
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I agree with all the recommendations for Chanel Pour Monsieur. If he's a cigar smoker (as am I), he'll probably like Baldessarini or any of the tobacco-tinged frags. If lighter, he'll go for something like Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive--which someone said smelled like "rich uncle" or some of the Creeds (GIT comes to mind.)
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Eau Sauvage
    Polo
    Chaps
    Chanel Pour Monsieur

Occasionally a spritz or two of J.M. Farina EDC.
    Or Caron PUH.
    Or Vintage Tabarome.
    Or Villoresi Vetiver.

Not Chanel or Guerlain. The next class strata down wear those.

But probably nothing.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Imagine a man who has never bought a CD of Rock music, or Electronic, or even Jazz. He attends performances at the Lincoln Center in NY frequently. He wears only suits or very high quality informal clothes. He has a lot of money. He is above 30 but below 50. He likes expensive cigars, expensive clothes, expensive cars and expensive video and sound equipment. He likes complex, sophisticated movies (never action movies or blockbusters). He lives in a very nice house, conservatively decorated. He goes to Europe every year.

If I were that man, I'd go to La Maison Guerlain and have my own personal perfume created.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Rubbish ;-) Jean-Paul Guerlain: 'Luxury is something pretty and discreet. Luxury must not be something brash.'
    Last edited by Mr. G; 20th January 2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I would like to know which perfumes can be considered ideal to a very conservative person.

This description hardly reflects conservatism...so why the hell such a man shouldn't wear something thats just as classy as his cigars, cars and clothes?

When he is dressed casually he should wear Bond 'Wall Street' or Creed Millesime Imperial.

When he is dressed in a business suit he should wear 'Patou pour homme' or 'Rochas Macassar'

At home he can choose to wear 'Le labo Rose 31'

Gupts

Oops sorry Ulrik .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    If I were that man, I'd go to La Maison Guerlain and have my own personal perfume created.

Rubbish ;-) Jean-Paul Guerlain: 'Luxury is something pretty and discreet. Luxury must not be something brash.'
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

LOL - you're forgiven. But don't let it happen again!

Oops sorry Ulrik .

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I'm assuming that Mr. Conservative is straight. He's married. His wife picks up his fragrance for him when she's shopping. He still wears something from his college days. Let's say Jazz.
    His wife is trying to get him to switch to something new, the stores that she shops in no longer carry designer fragrances, except those by jewelry and Italian be-spoke clothing houses, so she comes home with Kiton Black for his birthday present.
    They go to The Met every 3rd Thursday, as they've done for the last 10 years. He wears his new Kiton to a production of Der fliegende Holländer and catches up with his sleep.
    He is killed in an avalanche while heli-skiing in Whistler.
    His wife inherits a small fortune and moves to Sante Fe with a Swiss contralto.
    The End.
    Yes, but what of the Kiton?
    Occasionally a spritz or two of J.M. Farina EDC.
    Or Caron PUH.
    Or Vintage Tabarome.
    Or Villoresi Vetiver.

But probably nothing.
    And nothing formulated since 1960 or so, which definitely nixes GIT. Too modern. Or as Mr. G most brilliantly suggested, have a fragrance commissioned. Excellent!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 20th January 2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

No offense. I love classical music as well. It's just that I can't see even a conservative sophisticate in the 21st century rejecting EVERY kind of music from Jazz onward (but chacun a son gout, of course )

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Since I l share some of the attributes you mentioned,especially a love of classical music and quality clothing and am not a "prick" as Good Life is quick to assume, I would suggest:

Kiton Men
    Royal Briar
    Dunhill for Men
    Chevalier d'Orsay

The first is a quality license from the clothing folks; the second was a favorite of Ronald Reagan and is sold dirt cheap by Carroll & Co. in Beverly Hills; the third is still available in very limited quantity at the Dunhill Store on Fifth Avenue; and the last is at Bergdorf's.

All are subtle yet immensely distinctive; not flashy but very interesting, and would appeal to a conservative with a taste for the kinds of things you mentioned. They are not trendy; they are not about hip style; they are classic or near classic and gentlemanly. All go well dressed up; and are readily available in NYC or by mail or on the NET.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

This thread is so funny hehehehe
    Anything mada by Penhaligons or Floris perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    This thread is so funny hehehehe
    Anything mada by Penhaligons or Floris perhaps.

You are right of course, Penhaligon would be especially good, particularly Blenheim (for weekdays) and Duoro (for the weekends). That is an excellent choice for this fellow. Floris would be good too. Wish I had thought of these!

someone who is "extremely" conservative would probably be reluctant to wear a fragrance to begin with.
    Down here Jockey Club (JC) and University Club (UC) members - most expensive clubs in Buenos Aires, with membership starting at USD 15000 for UC, and USD 30000 for the JC - regard using fragrances for aeffeminates or new rich people.

So, they use the cheapest local eau de cologne, La Franco.

Since he is so rich he only smalls of... Patou Pour Homme
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe