Code of Conduct

Thread: Real Sandalwood

Default Real Sandalwood

I bought a bottle of Caswell Massey's Tricorn, expecting a wonderful sandalwood perfume, but I didn't like it.... It doesn't smell like real sandalwood, and there is something artificial in it, I am absolutely sure because my mother bought sandalwood oil in India 15 years ago, and I remember very clearly how it smellled.

Is there an inexpensive ($35-65) sandalwood fragrance that smells like real sandalwood? I prefer to buy a real fragrance and not the essential oil...

Lucius
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 20th January 2008 at 12:53 AM.

Default Re: Real Sandalwood

I think Floris Sandalwood is one to consider.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

If you want to spend a little more, you should try Creed Santal Imperial. It's a pure Mysore Sandalwood (the best kind) over vanilla, tonka, and ambergris.

Post Re: Real Sandalwood

Sandalo....Etro....Perfume.com 51.48 A steal!
    Sandalo.... LV.... Lafcon NY....70.00/50ML
    Sandalwood....Geo. F Trumper...60.00 50ML...Shop Londons.com

Can't go wrong with any of these. All three well worth the money! IMHO
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Ron,

Do all three have a very natural scent of sandalo, IYHO? I found the Etro for $45....is it as good as the one by Trumper's?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Sandalo....Etro....Perfume.com 51.48 A steal!
    Sandalo.... LV.... Lafcon NY....70.00/50ML
    Sandalwood....Geo. F Trumper...60.00 50ML...Shop Londons.com

Can't go wrong with any of these. All three well worth the money! IMHO

Post Re: Real Sandalwood

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Ron,

Do all three have a very natural scent of sandalo, IYHO? I found the Etro for $45....is it as good as the one by Trumper's?
    Etro would be the one.
    Trumpers brings alot more notes to the table.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Art of Shaving Sandalwood is quite delish. I'm not sure about the type of sandalwood used. Get a sample and I'd bet you'd like it.

Etro doesn't smell like pure sandalwood to me, smells a bit artificial. Villoresi Sandalo had sandalwood but also rosewood, Art of Shaving has a strong pine note. Trumpers doesn't have a pre sanalwood note.
    They are all good fragrances though.
    My recommendation: Le Roi Santal Cologne by Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    I did a google search and found it for a good price here:
    http://www.imaginationperfumery.com/p/2786

Also try madini oils Santal Blanc, found here
    http://madini.com/products/woods.htm
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Thanks so much, Azsmells. I would never be happy with a medicinal/artificial fragrance.

I often wear pure Indian sandalwood oil by itself (I make my own spray). The real stuff is hard to find now, though. My girlfriend compliments me the most when I just wear the pure oil.

Santal Noble by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier is a very nice sandalwood, but it has patchouli, coffee and warm wood notes as well.

Very few fragrances have the authentic Mysore oil in them anymore because it's gotten prohibitively expensive due to over-harvesting (illegal and otherwise). Most use some kind of synthetic (at least partially) to replicate the scent. But some of the more expensive synthetic sandalwoody smelling molecules smell very nice, and not "cheap" or harsh.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 20th January 2008 at 02:33 AM.

I was lucky enough to get a dram of Attar Bazaar's Mysore Sandalwood oil before it sold out. This stuff is astounding. I wish every sandalwood lover could smell the pure oil at least once. I treat it like gold -- i only wear it once in awhile because i doubt i will be able to get more.

Because i am a sandalwood freak i own a lot of different sandalwood fragrances, both EDT/EDP's and oils. Out of all of them, LV's Sandalo is hands down, the closest to the Mysore oil.

Also, after the very long dry down of Trumpers Sandalwood i smell true, pure Mysore sandalwood. This would be my second choice.
    Last edited by ajmc; 20th January 2008 at 03:15 AM.

Montale Sandalsliver. I never picked up on the sandalwood note when I had it but that's because I didn't know what to look for. After comparing it to 2 different kinds of sandalwood oils, it's definitely there and in abundant quantities.

Many sandalwood oils are adulterated with cedarwood/rosewood to keep costs down. You also see this trend in many fragrances, with some prime examples being MPG Santal Noble (boasting a huge dose of cedar) and LV Sandalo (which packs a rosewood punch) and others.

For an example of how good "synthetic" sandalwood can be, try Guerlain Samsara. which makes excellent use of the Sandalore(R) molecule (although I believe at one point Guerlain used to claim that Samsara contained authentic indian sandalwood oil). I might be mistaken, but I believe Chanel Bois des Iles is also powered by Sandalore. Other commonly used sandalwood synthetics are Ebanol, Radjanol, and Javanol, all of which capture different alpha-beta santalol components (scent profiles) of true indian sandalwood oil and all are derived from campholenic aldehyde. Sandalore is also said to be the weakest of the sandalwood synthetics.
    Last edited by zztopp; 20th January 2008 at 05:36 AM.
    -

Look at Fragonard Santal.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Art of Shaving's Sandalwood is a favorite of mine. It has a nice blend of sandalwood and eucalyptus.

A good friend of mine brought back some Mysore Sandalwood oil from India for me. This is the real stuff, very powerful-and also very expensive. One drop will completely envelope you in Sandalwood bliss for 8+ hours. Just incredible.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Basenotes Institution

Santalum by Profumum is my favorite. Sandalwood (meaty, ancient smelling) and cinnamon. Simple and yet amazing powerful.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st January 2008 at 05:09 AM.

Paul Smith - London is heavy on sandalwood (at least to my nose). It actually smells like a sandalwood factory I visited near Albany, a town about 5 hours south of Perth in Western Australia. I've heard that Australian sandalwood is used in it, which has a bit more of a smokey, gourmandy smell to it.

Original Santal by Creed (real Mysore Sandalwood)

Consider Diptyque Tam Dao: Goa Sandalwood with notes of cypress and rosewood..a very dry, linear and calming Sandalwood.

Badger & Blade cologne(custom made sandalwood),the best you can get besides LV Sandalo but is very rare,try here:

www.badgerandblade.com

There are two real Sandalwoods floating around - the more expensive Indian sandalwood, and the slightly cheaper, sweeter Australian sandalwood. They're both "real" sandalwoods but you might think the Australian one had something odd about it if you were used to the Indian one.

The best Australian sandalwood scent may be hard to get nowadays because of international flight restrictions - it's called Larrikin for Men. It's somewhat reminiscent of Gucci Envy and Floris Santal, but a lot rawer and stronger.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    Original Santal by Creed (real Mysore Sandalwood)
    A correction here. No Creed fragrance has mysore sandalwood no matter what what they claim in their promotional material. What they do have though is high quality Sri Lankan sandalwood from their own plantations in Sri Lanka (ceylon) which may or may not be a variant of the mysore plantations. Creed used to use Mysore in the 80s...but because of recent restrictions, they had two options: Either use adulterated mysore, or a high quality unrestricted blend. They opted for the latter option.

Because Sri Lanka is geographically close to India I guess Creed can claim to use mysore sandalwood
    Last edited by zztopp; 21st January 2008 at 04:33 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    A correction here. No Creed fragrance has mysore sandalwood no matter what what they claim in their promotional material. What they do have though is high quality Sri Lankan sandalwood from their own plantations in Sri Lanka (ceylon) which may or may not be a variant of the mysore plantations. Creed used to use Mysore in the 80s...but because of recent restrictions, they had two options: Either use adulterated mysore, or a high quality unrestricted blend. They opted for the latter option.

Because Sri Lanka is geographically close to India I guess Creed can claim to use mysore sandalwood

Good stuff ZZ. Where did you get this info?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Good stuff ZZ. Where did you get this info?
    Straight from the horse's mouth, actually - by Roberto Ferreira, a Creed HQ manager who hosted a masterclass in NYC last year, as relayed to a person I know. The part about the mysore/sri-lankan switch was revealed to this person by Ferreira in an offline personal conversation.
    -

Straight from the horse's mouth, actually - by Roberto Ferreira, a Creed HQ manager who hosted a masterclass in NYC last year, as relayed to a person I know. The part about the mysore/sri-lankan switch was revealed to this person by Ferreira in an offline personal conversation.
    Now that's very interesting. You know of course, that Creed is going to have you liquidated now .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Excellent! Thanks ZZ.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews