Code of Conduct

Talking Dior Jules: A hilarious review and further discussion

Searching for reviews on Dior's Jules, the following review in the BN directory (from someone in the UK) cracked me up - especially the first paragraph:

Although they sound as if they come from the mind of experts, one must take into consideration that many of the reviews on this site are written by young men who still live at home with mama and daddy. Often they have not had a great deal of life experience. For example, one reviewer uses the word "raunchy" to describe Jules. Raunchy certainly is not the right word to describe Jules in general, but there is nothing wrong with raunchy in the first place. What do human beings smell like? Nice and clean? No. Should perfume smell that way? I hope it's not heading that way. Mama's boys....

"Almost all great men's fragrances have a solid floral component in their heart notes (this does not mean they smell "floral"). Jules represents this in abundance, with prominent heart notes of Carnation, Rose and Jasmin. The base notes are a plethra of hard-hitters, such as Amber, Castoreum, Leather, Moss, Musk and Olibanum.

Jules is at once dark and bit "raunchy", yet also most sublime and uplifting. Naed Nitram (whose words must come from divine inspirataion) had this to say about Jules: "Here was the odour of earth and sweet woods, so gentle, so refined, where once I walked with my first love Gilberte. At the centre of the forest we paused to savour the deep and distinguished smell....." See Nitram's complete review below or on the next page.

For what it's worth, Luca Turin, once listed a few men's fragrances which he gave his highest marks and said, "just smelled good." Patricia de Nicolai's New York, Chanel Pour Monsieur and Jules were among the four or five he mentioned.

Jules, not for boys. A bit raunchy? I hope so.

by 3855 , 24 May 2006, United Kingdom

From the notes and reviews, it sounds like a somewhat dry mossy 80s juice similar to Van Cleef pour homme but with a less pronounced floral heart.

Does anyone know why Jules is in limited production?

What do you think of the juice itself? Is it on par with other Dior classics like Fahrenheit and Eau Sauvage?
    Last edited by zztopp; 20th January 2008 at 05:55 AM.
    -

Default Re: Dior Jules: A hilarious review and further discussion

From the mouth's of babes.....
    I agree that this site, like most, is an example of a collision course between the informed and the innocent, the key to creativity.
    Rave on ZZ!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th January 2008 at 06:35 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Jules is very cool with me. I would say the overall impression I get is not floral, but green. It is a little understated in that way; not over-the-top green. I would say this is a "sporty" rather than a formal scent, but it's not too far over that line. Raunchy might be overstating the "edge" of Jules. Considering the original release date (1980), it's not overly slanted toward sex appeal, though the touch of it is there.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

That review was from our beloved Pluran, I believe. For the numbered reviews, the computer defaults to the last named review to label the country of the reviewer.

I don't get much moss from it -- It has leather and that's usually what I get when leather's present. I find Jules quite animalic and totally excellent.

I see it pop up here and there for sale and I have no idea why its production is so spotty.

Fantastic 80's leather along the lines of Trumper's Spanish Leather and (to a lesser extent) Guerlain's Derby. Unrefined in a controlled way.

IMO along with Eau Sauvage, the finest from this house.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    ...IMO along with Eau Sauvage, the finest from this house.
    I thought the same until last year when I discovered les trois eaux grandes.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I thought the same until last year when I discovered les trois eaux grandes.
    and what are those?????? They sound expensive.......
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

• Bois d'Argent
    • Cologne Blanche and
    • Eau Noire
    is all a man and lover of French perfumes really needs beyond soap and a delicious citrus !
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

I'll never forget that part of the Luca Turin interview that I posted...where the interviewer asks Turin what is a classic mens cologne he'd recommend. Luca searches around his office and picks up Jules and sprays some on the reporters arm. The reporter says immediately, 'That smells like shit!' and Luca (without missing a beat) says something along the lines of, 'well it does have a lot of civet in it...etc'. I think of that story, every time I encounter Jules.

I have never smelled it...honestly, I've never encountered it on sale anywhere in Miami. And this is NOT a scent I'd buy blind. One of these days I'll smell it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st January 2008 at 05:47 AM.

I have a sample laying around somewhere...it's a fantastic fragrance, suave and animalic.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Every time I go to Paris, I think about picking up Jules and giving him a try. When I smell him, I'm always impressed, but I'm not ready to revisit the 80's.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st January 2008 at 05:58 AM.

My SOTD today. Very nice, though amazingly subtle on me, floral creamy, an initial moment of slightly harsh greenness, which reminds me of Nino Cerruti, what remains is almost a skin scent (this is with 4 sprays).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

It's very leathery with an intensely animal feel on me. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    • Bois d'Argent
    • Cologne Blanche and
    • Eau Noire
    is all a man and lover of French perfumes really needs beyond soap and a delicious citrus !
    narcus, could you please describe these three a bit more? I only have some ideas about Cologne Blanche.
    Last edited by Ascella; 21st January 2008 at 02:44 PM.

With a name like Jules what would you expect it to smell like other than what its named after (note its plural)...what you expect rose petals and puppy dog tails?

I love Jules, it takes on a nice exotic aura on my skin. I wish I could get it in the states, I won't be going back to France for at least 9 months, and I can't wait to get it again.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Dependent

While being far more subtle than Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, it's probably a finer blend of ingredients. A leather chypre to meditate over like Guerlain's Derby. There is no comparison whatsoever to Dior's Fahrenheit whose fiery tongue chases you around the room for the first few minutes and Eau Sauvage which is a citrus basically with a subtle drydown, far to subtle for me to detect.

I have mixed feelings about Jules. It is an atypical 80's fragrance, but you can tell it is an 80's frag. I'll have to revisit it, but it may be strong for some people.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Jules is excellent. I purchased Antaeus primarily because it reminded me of Jules.

I received a sample of Parfumes de Nicolai New York today. I really like it and there is something very familiar with it, especially in the heart notes. Then - finally - it struck me: Jules!

Or am I crazy?
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    I received a sample of Parfumes de Nicolai New York today. I really like it and there is something very familiar with it, especially in the heart notes. Then - finally - it struck me: Jules!

Or am I crazy?
    Both are pretty rich and strong, but I find NY to feature citrus much more prominently. I only recently got a Jules sample. I'm not a fan of how is starts out, very herbal and very 80s, but it dries down in to a smooth, rich floral/herbal leather.

Off-Scenter

Oddly enough, I just happen to have posted a review of Jules to the Directory moments before this thread was bumped. To save a click or two I'll repeat it here:

Dior’s Jules belongs to a fragrance group that I like to think of as BFFFs: Big, Fat, F#cking Fougeres. These include scents like Kouros, Havana, Lauder for Men, and Pascal Morabito’s Or Black. They’re all titanic, spicy, animalic scents that somehow manage to be at once savage and sophisticated, and I love them!

To my mind, Jules occupies the middle ground among these giants. It does not flirt as dangerously with the reek of wild animals as Kouros does; it does not strive for Havana’s spicy exoticism; nor does it breathe the same dark, threatening smoke as Lauder for Men and Or Black. Jules is also a bit sweeter and brighter in its drydown than the rest of them.

For all these reasons, Jules doesn’t compel me quite as much as the others. On the other hand, I can see how this same relative “neutrality” could make Jules the most appealing of the lot for many wearers. In any case, its quality is unassailable, and if you share my taste for monster fougeres, you ought to give Jules a try!

With a name like Jules what would you expect it to smell like other than what its named after (note its plural)...what you expect rose petals and puppy dog tails?

Actually, Jules is the nickname given to your wife's boyfriend. Gotta love the french, all is fair and all that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Oddly enough, I just happen to have posted a review of Jules to the Directory moments before this thread was bumped. To save a click or two I'll repeat it here:

Dior’s Jules belongs to a fragrance group that I like to think of as BFFFs: Big, Fat, F#cking Fougeres. These include scents like Kouros, Havana, Lauder for Men, and Pascal Morabito’s Or Black. They’re all titanic, spicy, animalic scents that somehow manage to be at once savage and sophisticated, and I love them!

To my mind, Jules occupies the middle ground among these giants. It does not flirt as dangerously with the reek of wild animals as Kouros does; it does not strive for Havana’s spicy exoticism; nor does it breathe the same dark, threatening smoke as Lauder for Men and Or Black. Jules is also a bit sweeter and brighter in its drydown than the rest of them.

For all these reasons, Jules doesn’t compel me quite as much as the others. On the other hand, I can see how this same relative “neutrality” could make Jules the most appealing of the lot for many wearers. In any case, its quality is unassailable, and if you share my taste for monster fougeres, you ought to give Jules a try!

Thanks for the very helpful review, Vibert. I could tell that this one was definitely to my liking, but I didn't know exactly where it would fall in my range of enjoyment. Now I do.

This avatar virus is driving me nuts. I thought that you were Sir Slarty. While I enjoy Slarty's short and precise reviews, the fact that he had "gone Vibert" on me was making me unsure of what was becoming of Basenotes. I am reminded that a little diversity is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    It's very leathery with an intensely animal feel on me. Love it.
    Ditto. Love the name, too.

Do I remember a movie from my college days named "Jules and Jim"? or something with "Jules" as a name.

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post

Actually, Jules is the nickname given to your wife's boyfriend. Gotta love the french, all is fair and all that.
    According to this, Jules is a slang term for a chamber pot.

And in Luca's guide he says "jules means something like 'main squeeze' in French".

So I don't know what to think about the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Thanks for the very helpful review, Vibert. I could tell that this one was definitely to my liking, but I didn't know exactly where it would fall in my range of enjoyment. Now I do.

This avatar virus is driving me nuts. I thought that you were Sir Slarty. While I enjoy Slarty's short and precise reviews, the fact that he had "gone Vibert" on me was making me unsure of what was becoming of Basenotes. I am reminded that a little diversity is a good thing.
    What are you talking about RP? All I is see Vibert's dog.

Is Jules still sold in France? Maybe as a limited edition? The bottle seems very diffirent from the original box.

http://www.sephora.fr/browse/product.jhtml?id=P3411