Code of Conduct

Default Supernatural Perfume: God's Fragrance

I am not a religious person at all, but I love religious music, especially sacred music composed by Bach. In a similar way, I would like to find a supernatural perfume.... a perfume that is spiritual in the best sense of the word.

Are there fragrances that express spirituality? If you want to wear a perfume that gives you an aura of being a holy, god-worshipping, sacred person, which perfume should you wear?

Incense is probably the easiest answer....but there must be something more complex than that.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 20th January 2008 at 11:50 PM.

Default Re: Supernatural Perfume: God's Fragrance

Czech & Speake's Frankincense & Myrrh

I am not aware of any fragrances claiming to be based upon the traditional sustenance of the gods - nectar and ambrosia. I have read that some scholars maintain that ambrosia and ambergris are linguistically related.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 21st January 2008 at 01:35 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

For me, Caron's Parfum Sacre' (Sacred Perfume)!

Etro Messe de Minuit.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Ditto. Also, Guerlain Angélique Noire and Creed Angélique Encens.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I must agree with this one.
    My twelve years of Catholic education with nuns and priests concur.
    Parfum Sacre evokes not the memories of dogma, but rather the moments of elevated spiritual consciousness, when gazing at the light coming through the stained glass window, or feeling the harmonious vibrations of the church choir.

Sienne L'Hiver
    is another that always makes me think of an outdoor church. Quiet and meditative, and expansive.
    Nirmala makes me think more of earthy Goddess Worship.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I would suggest you try this link - http://www.essenceofjerusalem.biz/

I say Creed Imperial.

Counterpoint. I suspect that what you love in Bach's music--both sacred and secular--is his amazing ability to play one theme off of another and to achieve something far greater than the sum of its parts. Instead of looking for for the "church" in his music when searching for a fragrance (and I love a good incense, don't get me wrong), look for a contrapuntal fragrance that embodies the soul of JSB--elegance through elimination, complex subtleties that inspire countless variations and yet always point upward, towards something greater..... Don't confuse the venue with the message. If you are looking for suggestions, Caron's 3me Homme comes to mind. This is a French perfumer's fugue, which opens with one main theme, the subject, which then sounds successively in each voice in imitation; when each voice has entered, the exposition is complete; usually this is followed by a connecting passage, or episode, developed from previously heard material; further "entries" of the subject then are heard in related keys. Episodes and entries are usually alternated until the "final entry" of the subject, by which point the music has returned to the opening key. Sound familiar? Of course, this parallel between musical comoposition and perfumery is nothing new (witness Arpege), but I do think that you may be going down a rabbit hole looking for the temporal world of the church in Bach's music and its link to scent. Bach aways aimed higher....

I've yet to smell CdG Avignon, but it's on my list of altar boy flashback frags. I'll certainly try out the rest mentioned in this thread.

I have Avignon and it really smells like a church. It is impressive.

An Oud of some type, Black Oud oil, Sunset Oud oil, Myrrh and Cinnamon Oil...
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

I firmly believe that god is found in nature and purity, particularly in flowers. If there is a "God's Fragrance" for me, it would have to be a floral. L'Artisans' Tubereuse is my communion scent these days. Heavenly.
    For the life of me, I can not understand why anyone would want their body to smell like a church! As a recovering Catholic, the smell of incense brings to mind dust and death. If you insist, at least mess it up a bit with something odd like Messe de Minuit, which adds some life, in the form of orange, to the grim proceedings.

Scents that God digs?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I know from Islam that the smell of the Paradise is or is like Musk.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

This curmudgeonly atheist votes for Cardinal by Heeley if what you seek is pure churchiness.
    For a brighter take on Cardinal, there's the lively Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi.
    Impérial Opopanax by Les Néréides is utterly Byzantine -- think Hagia Sophia before the pillage.

Got Timbuktu? Imagine yourself in a witch doctor's cottage in Mali. Hot stuff here -- woods, pepper and smoke mixed with incense.
    Dzongkha goes all Tibetan monastery on yo' ass, but without the funny hats and Book of the Dead.

For a Hindu take on matters, there's CdG's Jaisalmer in the west of India and Ava Luxe's Nag Champa in the rest.
    A diabolical twist on things (to go with the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, perhaps)? Snag some Black Cashmere by Donna Karan.
    Waxing Buddhist? Try a strong oud-based fragrance -- the first time I smelled aloeswood was in a Buddhist temple in China.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 21st January 2008 at 05:36 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

tvlampboy ~ I was waiting for your reply...and you didn't disappoint! Love the Timbuktu imagery!!!

Pure 'oud oil.
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    This curmudgeonly atheist votes for Cardinal by Heeley if what you seek is pure churchiness.
    TvLampBoy,

Can you give us a better description of Cardinal? I am very interested in it but I need more information. Is it basically a brighter version of Avignon? Which notes are used to dispel the gothic character and bring a more enlightened mood to the fragrance?

Part of what interests me is thinking of fragrance in terms of balance: topnotes to basenotes, beginning to end. Fragrance as something balanced and whole, holiness as wholeness.
    This doesn't have so much to do with God, more with the ideal of balance and the notion that whatever the life of spirit is, it has to do with an ongoing experience of connection to the parts of oneself that correspond to the parts of the living world.
    You know: you've got genitalia that come, as it were, with their own to-do list, if you're lucky. You've got a mouth that wants to chew and taste and kiss, legs that want to run, hands that want to fiddle with stuff, make stuff, a mind that wants to know and consider, etc. So what parts of oneself are satisfied, awake, plugged in? And what sort of reminders or introductions does one need to plug in the other parts?
    Maybe my interest in very earthy scents has to do with being a person who's spent so much time in his head and who is now trying to find his body.
    But so recently I read Tom Robbins's Jitterbug Perfume, which I loved (although his swing-for-the-fence prose style can be embarrassingly much) which is about (among other things) the search for a basenote to complement the perfect jasmine topnote. And I won't spoil the ending for those who haven't read it but the basenote turns out to have reference to an earlier, earthier, more physical and less intellectual time in human development. Life loses savor when things get out of balance.
    I guess at this point anything that seems right seems sacred in some way to me. A perfect cappuccino, for instance, is plenty. A glance from a young woman is God. I loved the thread a while back asking what we thank the gods of perfume for. I do think perfume is helping me rediscover my inner pagan, the gods I worshipped as a child eating dirt, pissing as far as possible up the tree trunk, searching for the perfect stone.

My mother is a VERY VERY religious Hindu, and in a lot of Indian proceedings, Attar (Be it rose or musk or along the lines of that) is very religious, I mean, Musk (Kasturi) is also used in some religious offerings of food!

I love what Luca Turin said about Jean Patou Sublime...it smells like Mozart chamber music sounds. (paraphrasing) To me, this is the music of heaven...

Teddius

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Ditto. Also, Guerlain Angélique Noire and Creed Angélique Encens.
    And (supposed God is a man) would he feel comfortable as a man with this scent? I'm trying it now and have been hesitating...

The atheist in me votes for L'Antimatière, as there is no there there.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Gotta speak up for BPAL here: There's Cathedral, then their whole Sin and Salvation line...hell, type in the name of just about any diety you can think of! LOL!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Well, along with omniscient he may just be omniscent - so perhaps he smells like every frag ever created, layered?

That or, due to his twisted personality, I'd have to say something like Dali pour homme. Or perhaps just actual goats blood gathered from a sacrifice.

A suggestion from the Judeo-Christian crowd: King Solomon. It's spicey & woodsy & really quite regal.

www.newjerusalemgifts.com

I find pure, high quality Indian sandalwood oil and high grade Oud (agarwood) oil to be "spiritual". Sandalwood always elevates my mood, and (high grade) Oud is one of the only scents I know of that seems simultaneously earthy and ethereal, like a bridge between heaven and earth. Oud seems to have it's foot in both doors.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Virtue® - that concept alone turneth my stomach -
    "became convinced that a formulation would reveal itself" - you mean the archangel Givaudan descended upon a lonely shepherd and revealed a recipe?
    Nice spiel for the "Left Behind" crowd, I guess. Something tells me it's 99% cheap synthetics.

Apart from all the churchy ones mentioned, my spiritual favorite is LV Sandalo. It employs several ingredients representing the divine or putting you in touch with higher planes - sandalwood, rosewood, rose, opoponax.

I agree that Oud / Attars can reflect a sense of divinity, too - rose, sandalwood, oudh combos. Sandalo is Villoresi's interpretation of Indian perfume traditions, I take it.

Another very ethereal one is DSH Sandalo Inpiritu, inspired by medieval city of Siena, a gothic (real 12th century gothic, not Shelley or "goth") Sandalwood. more subtlety and not obviously churchy such as Avignon and the like.

P.S.: I just love the "Biblically based moisturizing lotion." Only in P.T. Barnum land...
    Last edited by the_good_life; 5th February 2008 at 11:40 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

There is one that is perfect for what you've described. It's called "Ceremony" by Norma Kamali and can be purchased at beautyhabit.com for $80.00

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I find pure, high quality Indian sandalwood oil and high grade Oud (agarwood) oil to be "spiritual". Sandalwood always elevates my mood, and (high grade) Oud is one of the only scents I know of that seems simultaneously earthy and ethereal, like a bridge between heaven and earth. Oud seems to have it's foot in both doors.
    I would completely agree. 'Oud also balances between the sublime and the majestic, two qualities that remind me of God.
    You are not your perfume.

I found Equistrius, by Parfum d'Empire, to be one of the most godly scents I've ever smelled. I don't know if that helps; but you should try it!

Angel (not A*Men, because God is a woman. Alanis Morissette to be exact)

God would wear Vintage Tabarome.

Did someone mention The Pope's Cologne yet?
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Jay siya ram Vivek,
    who does ur Divine mother follow me iam also a very very religious personality. does she pure musk?
    Vishwamitra-Tulsi

Ladies and gentlemen all,
    This is an english language forum, and I must all on all posters to post in english, as is called for by the rules,

3.1 Your post must be in English.

We are an English language website, with a majority of English reading members. We are unable to moderate or, more importantly, enjoy posts which are in a language that we cannot understand. Members can of course use the personal message feature to help or discuss in other languages.
    Also I'm going to close this thread because it's just too close to a hot topic.

2.8 You are requested to avoid 'hot topics'

The Basenotes Community is not a suitable platform for the discussion of politics, religion and other hot topics. Posts, signatures and any other material you make public to the site containing these or any other hot topics may be locked, edited or removed.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.