Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Byzance de Rochas: Who Wears It?

I tried Byzance de Rochas in a store and liked it very much. But I am uncertain about the kind of woman who usually wears it. is it a fragrance for the more mature woman or for the young girl? For the traditional or sophisticated? For the timid or for the very outgoing?

I hope some of you can help me in classifying it!

Lucius

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Byzance de Rochas: Who Wears It?

My wife. And very well, I might add!

Post Thanks / Like

That means it is adequate for sophisticated ladies. But I need to know more. I won't ask how old she is....but how old are you, Vibert?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a bottle of this but tend only to wear it once in a blue moon. It is a very high-pitched aldehydic floral with a wonderful golden / powdery patina to it. I used to wear it, way back in the day, as an innocent, world weary teen so it holds residule sentimental value to me.

I tend to reach for it most often in early springtime - which happens to be when I 'crave' my high pitched / aldehydic florals the most...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

I wear it currently, I am 46, Caucasian, married, Gemini, thus very unpredictable, changeable, Mercury type woman with many hobbies, intellectual, many friends, easily distracted, very emotional.

I wore Byzance last week for the first time in ages. I loved it all over again. I understand moondeva's descrption as 'high-pitched' but that is only in the opening. It becomes more subtle and mysterious after that, and quite quickly. I find it has an ephemeral quality to it. If that is shared by some quality or mood within yourself, it matters not how old you are, though I would guess that anyone in the mood for Happy won't chose Byzance that day.

The midnight blue round bottle is perfect for the juice within, which is a bluish-purple colour. These colours reflect the perfume's atmosphere very well.

I am still looking for the discontinued Mystere by Rochas which is proving impossible to find.

Welcome back, moondeva, you have been missed.
    Last edited by Sestra; 21st January 2008 at 10:58 AM.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    That means it is adequate for sophisticated ladies. But I need to know more. I won't ask how old she is....but how old are you, Vibert?

Neener, neener, I'm not telling!

...but certainly too old. My wife is a very well-educated high-powered professional - tall, dark hair, and a very tailored personal style. She's been wearing Byzance since it came out. To lend some perspective, other favorites of hers include Angelique Encens, Fleurissimo, Le Parfum de Therese, Faicheur Muskissime, Parfum Sacre, and Sa Majeste la Rose.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 21st January 2008 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to wear it quite a bit, but it is not what I would call my 'fragrance' any longer. I am not very young, nor am I close to middle age. I am in grad school, and I worked in cosmetics for many years. I am tall, slender, fair skinned with long, dark auburn hair, I am also very understated, apart from my fragrances. I enjoyed it when I was in my late teens, but then again I loved Shalimar and # 5 as a child. I enjoyed Byzance much more when I was fashion-daring and a label slave; so to speak. Hope that helps in your quest.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post

I am still looking for the discontinued Mystere by Rochas which is proving impossible to find.
    I just did a search and found many sites offering it for sale, unfortunately the 'extrai' is quite pricey
    Good luck
    Last edited by Brielle87; 21st January 2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I love Byzance -- love it. It's one of about 20 frags I'd wear if I were a woman (or at least a drag queen).

Seriously, it's one of Rochas' all time best -- let's hope they never do anything idiotic and discontinue it (as they did Globe).
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 21st January 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I love Byzance -- love it. It's one of about 20 frags I'd wear if I were a woman (or at least a drag queen).

Seriously, it's one of Rochas' all time best -- let's hope they never do anything idiotic and discontinue it (as they did Globe).
    Oh dear God, all this time I thought I smelled mysterious and sophisticated, but instead I've been wafting Eau de Drag Queen.

(Throws feather boa over shoulder and flounces out)

No, what I meant is that it's just way too femme for any guy to pull off.
    (And I wear Shalimar, for Chrissakes!)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 21st January 2008 at 10:26 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Phew, then I can wear it again with feminine mystique and aplomb.

Brielle, every site I look at lists Mystere in its products list, but marked 'out of stock'. It is interesting to see the wild variations in price for a 50ml edp. It is not even available from The Perfumed Court.
    Last edited by Sestra; 21st January 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Phew, then I can wear it again with feminine mystique and aplomb.

Brielle, every site I look at lists Mystere in its products list, but marked 'out of stock'. It is interesting to see the wild variations in price for a 50ml edp. It is not even available from The Perfumed Court.
    Here is one of the sites I found;
    http://www.perfumedistributor.com/my...7.html?froogle
    it has a 50 ml listed for $39.99 and there are many more sites. If you need more I will send them to you.

I can add it to the shopping cart but then it comes up as not in stock. I find this with every site I try.

Off-Scenter

I am still looking for the discontinued Mystere by Rochas which is proving impossible to find...
    Interestingly enough, Mystere was my wife's first scent when she was a teenager. A little sophisticated for an innocent Midwestern girl, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Interestingly enough, Mystere was my wife's first scent when she was a teenager. A little sophisticated for an innocent Midwestern girl, no?
    What discerning taste your wife showed even then. You chose well.

Post Thanks / Like

I can add it to the shopping cart but then it comes up as not in stock. I find this with every site I try.
    I am so sorry, I feel your pain. I just realized I only have a half of a bottle left, and my mother has a half bottle left also. This will have to tide me over for the rest of my life
    By the time I am an old woman, I won't have anything left to wear; 90% of my fragrances are vintage, and the rest they keep re orchestrating (which I hate). I can only hope Creed will still be going strong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh dear God, all this time I thought I smelled mysterious and sophisticated, but instead I've been wafting Eau de Drag Queen.

(Throws feather boa over shoulder and flounces out)
    LMAO!!!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *