Code of Conduct

Default S.T. Dupont L'Eau... reminds me of Bois D'Iris

Today I made one of my better Marshalls/TJ Maxx finds in a long time. I was going to the Maxx to pick up a few things and they didn't have anything that appealed to me in the fragrance department. No Purple Water, no Tumulte Homme.

However I saw a few boxes of ST Dupont L'Eau and Celine Fever Pour Homme. They weren't opened, but they were cheap so I grabbed them. The Celine isn't very good per my first impression-- like a truckload full of counterfeit Egoiste caught on fire, and the firemen tried putting the flames out with isobutyl quinoline-- so I won't waste any more words on it.

The ST Dupont L'Eau however is IMO really, really good. Right away, it smelled like Cartier Declaration (minus the cumin) and it started moving toward The Different Company's Bois D' Iris. There's a faint note that smells like pear (it's probably the freesia). In the car ride home, I kept sniffing it every five seconds HOPING that it was not going to turn all aquatic like the typical synthetic shipwrecks that wash up on the shelves of TJ MAXX. I was hoping and hoping-- In my head I guess I was like Carlton Fisk with his hands in the air using his willpower to keep the ball fair... Anyway, all ended up being fair with this one. The slight aquatic note looms in the background but never really interferes with the cool, dry iris and wood theme that dominates.

I like Bois D'Iris but it's a bit expensive and just a tad too powdery for me. Just a tad. The ST Dupont L'Eau is subtle and less powdery-- in the drydown I notice fleeting similarities with Eau de Cartier as well. I have to say that I'm maybe even a little bit blown away by this scent that I'd heard NOTHING about, yet had seen countless times on the clearance racks. A really good buy for $15. Maybe some people won't like it because it's not the loudest, most in your face scent out there-- but I give it my stamp of approval.

Don't let the artwork on the box or the name fool you-- this is not a run of the mill crap calone and ozone aquatic. It's a nice semi-dry woods scent. I looked on the ST Dupont site and there is no mention of iris in the notes-- but rather violet. Either way, it reminds me of a cross between Bois D'Iris and Eau de Cartier.

I haven't really seen this one mentioned so I thought I'd take a chance. A good solid find.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 21st January 2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: S.T. Dupont L'Eau... reminds me of Bois D'Iris

Is the color of the juice that hyper neon aqua color, that I see on some online perfume websites? It looks like Scope mouthwash, it's so...blue!

Indie_guy I also discovered this gem last summer, and have posted in a few threads about it.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=dupont

Despite the name, to me it does not fit into the mould of "aquatic" fragrances, - on my skin its a rich velvety scent with soft herbaceous accords and warm animalic notes at the base.

ST Dupont create vastly underrated fragrances IMO.

PS: Mikeperez, the glass is breathmint blue, but the juice itself is a few shades paler than Elements Aqua (Boss). Kind of a dusty pale blue.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 21st January 2008 at 06:15 AM.

Yep the bottle is quite blue-- maybe too blue. The color of the bottle makes it look a bit tacky and feminine-- which is a shame because it's actually a nice bottle. They should have just left it clear. I don't think it smells blue.

Dmitri, thanks for the link to the thread. I agree with your opinions of it. It does have a velvety musk feel to it. Sometimes, I'll buy stuff blind and cheap at the Maxx-- because if I don't care for it, at least it's another piece for the collection. But this stuff is actually really something good and I can see myself wearing it often. And I'll also recommend that if anybody is at all a fan of Dior Homme, do check this out if you see it for cheap. As it dries down, there are some similar notes with the spice and cardamom.

After wearing it for 7 hours I can still smell it pretty well-- though with the violet note, it seems to cause olfactory fatigue and disappear if I try to sit and sniff it continually.

As far as ST Dupont scents go-- I have Signature also. It's nice, but it reminds me of Gucci Envy for Men with a bit of Cinnamon Life cereal thrown in. I like L'Eau better. Curious about Noir with it's cool looking bottle.

I liked Signature very much and went through a 30ml bottle in no time (purchased on strawberrynet for a steal!)
    Noir is my favourite ST Duont scent by far.
    Here's a review i wrote for the directory that is now offline:
    .................................................. ...

First and foremost I must state that S.T. Dupont scents in general are underestimated. That being said, "Noir" is a scent that deserves wide recognition as a fragrance with clout!
    It offers a hit of cool crisp spearmint that almost immediately subsides into the velvety, peppery warmth of clove and precious woods. Its freshness derives from the mint, lavendar and fragrant vetyver, but at "Noir's" heart lies a hot glowing ember of spice. Radiant woods and the musk-like cashmeran accords dominate on the drydown.
    I find "Noir" warms exceptionally well on the skin, and lasts at least 5 or 6 hours. Perfect as a smart office fragrance, or for evening excursions.

The flacon is also extremely masculine - its highly reflective faceted surface looks AMAZING in any room and is a pleasure to hold in ones hand.

Is it different enough from Eau de Cartier to warrant having both? I'm wearing EDC today from a big honkin' bottle.

I saw the L'Eau at my TJ Maxx for $9.99. I almost caved, but I'm trying to watch my finances better and stay away from impulse buys.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Yep the bottle is quite blue-- maybe too blue. The color of the bottle makes it look a bit tacky and feminine-- which is a shame because it's actually a nice bottle. They should have just left it clear. I don't think it smells blue.

As far as ST Dupont scents go-- I have Signature also. It's nice, but it reminds me of Gucci Envy for Men with a bit of Cinnamon Life cereal thrown in. I like L'Eau better. Curious about Noir with it's cool looking bottle.

Thanks Indie - that's what I was thinking. If I encountered this scent in a store, I would have avoided it based upon the shocking blue color of the juice.

Kids fruit drinks should be this color. Not mens fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Noir is my favourite ST Duont scent by far....

.................................................. ...

First and foremost I must state that S.T. Dupont scents in general are underestimated. That being said, "Noir" is a scent that deserves wide recognition as a fragrance with clout!
    It offers a hit of cool crisp spearmint that almost immediately subsides into the velvety, peppery warmth of clove and precious woods. Its freshness derives from the mint, lavendar and fragrant vetyver, but at "Noir's" heart lies a hot glowing ember of spice.
    Dmitri, Noir sounds incredible! Is it creamy, at all (creamy scents, in general, tend to turn me off)?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th January 2008 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Is it different enough from Eau de Cartier to warrant having both? I'm wearing EDC today from a big honkin' bottle.

I saw the L'Eau at my TJ Maxx for $9.99. I almost caved, but I'm trying to watch my finances better and stay away from impulse buys.
    L'Eau isn't all that similar to Eau de Cartier-- it's more like Bois D'Iris. I've determined that L'Eau is pretty soft and subtle. Not a screamer. Stays pretty close to the skin-- it's probably a good cuddling scent for Sunday afternoons. For ten bucks, it's a safe buy. Sure the ugly color of the blue juice can be a bit off putting, but it's a much better scent than its appearance and price suggest.

Thanks, Indie.

yeah...i saw this one today at marshalls for 9 bucks...i guess that a steal! i picked up a 1.7 oz burberry men for 20 bucks and baldessarini ambre body wash for 6...pretty good stuff. Thanks for the review as i was left wondering today what the st dupont smelled like...since no one had torn any of the boxes open. hahha

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Dmitri, Noir sounds incredible! Is it creamy, at all (creamy scents, in general, tend to turn me off)?
    Not a hint of creaminess to be seen mikeperez!