Code of Conduct

Default Can a vegan smell good too?

Hi everyone- what a great community!

Iíve recently decided to experiment with wearing fragrances again, something I havenít done since I ran out of the Canoe my mom gave me for my fifteenth birthday. Before I start shopping, I was hoping someone could tell me:

1. How common are animal derived products in menís fragrances?
    2. Are there any common ingredients for a vegan to watch out for?
    3. Are there any fragrance houses specifically known for being animal-safe?

Thanks!

Default Re: Can a vegan smell good too?

I think most of the 'infamous' animal-derived ingredients such as musk and civet have been phased out now, though be careful with vintage frags.

Ambergris is whale vomit, so I can't see why you'd have a problem with it in theory. I have seen mentions of 'beach-harvested' ambergris, so that makes me suspect there might be more than one way of obtaining it.

Interestingly, as a vegan, you might have more difficulty with honey in fragrances. Some vegan friends of mine eat honey, others don't. Ditto beeswax.

I don't have a clue about other ingredients in perfumery - the iso-E super molecules and suchlike. And I have no idea where these things originate from. However, I have no doubt the clever people on this board will know about them and be able to warn you away from any particular ingredients that are animal-derived. (And I bet there will be some.)

Added:
    I just checked on the Fragrance Industry Discussion board and there's a thread on there about musk from musk deer that you might find interesting. Hirch Duckfinder posted a link to this website which I've just been looking at and which has pages about musk and ambergris.

http://www.profumo.it/perfume/home_english.htm
    Last edited by Wordbird; 21st January 2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: found out more info
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Thanks Wordbird! Your info was helpful, and the "ethical issues" thread was exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to have to look into this whole 'beach-harvested' ambergris thing- If its legit I may have to quit my job and buy myself a bucket.

I do my best to purchase everything that is free from animal suffering. When it comes to fragrances I could do much better.

If you do any investigating will you please report back to us?
    The good, the bad and the ugly.

* I think Chanel is not into animal testing, but you might want to double check that. I read that on a veg forum sometime ago. ** double edit, along with Dior, but check that one out too.

Oh, Ava Luxe is vegan. She is expected to be back shortly with a smaller inventory, but still great.

You can shoot her an email to confirm this, but if my memory serves me right she did mention that on her sight when it was up.
    Last edited by Airy; 21st January 2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Sometime I wish the aliens would abduct me and crown me as their leader.
    George Noory

BPAL is supposedly vegan, except for their honey/beeswax note.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Quote Originally Posted by snailhorn View Post
    Hi everyone- what a great community!

I’ve recently decided to experiment with wearing fragrances again, something I haven’t done since I ran out of the Canoe my mom gave me for my fifteenth birthday. Before I start shopping, I was hoping someone could tell me:

1. How common are animal derived products in men’s fragrances?
    2. Are there any common ingredients for a vegan to watch out for?
    3. Are there any fragrance houses specifically known for being animal-safe?

Thanks!
    For Vegans, I believe you would want to avoid the following natural ingredients (are there any more??):

1. Civet
    2. Musk
    3. Honey
    4. Beeswax
    5. (MAYBE) Ambergris

I think Civet is still commonly used in some perfumes - especially ones claiming all "natural" ingredients and want a musky note. I think there may be a synthetic version, but I do not know if it has one and how common it might be. The natural variety would clearly be not-Vegan.

I believe Musk is always synthetic at this point - so "musk" today has nothing to do with the Musk deer so would be vegan. View it the same as "Pleather."

I am not sure how common Honey or Beeswax is - though I think it is not very common? I know honey and beeswax is controversial amongst Vegans if it is Vegan or not. And sometimes creates flame wars on Vegan board I have seen. Thankfully it may not be widespread so a Vegan person may not need to worry.

Ambergris is usually synthetic (accords of benzoin, vanilla, Labdanum, and other ingredients) - and I have heard that major perfume houses won't use or at least are reluctant to use natural ambergris due to variable quality and supply.

For natural ambergris, it is controversial how it is obtained - traditionally it has been thought that it is only useful to perfume if it is harvested after 10 years of floating on the open ocean - but it was banned until recently since it was thought encouraging the use of ANY whale product would encourage whaling - and some people maintain ambergris today *may* be taken form a freshly killed whale and can and is used in some perfumes. For a vegan, I would imagine the fact that it is comprised of indigestible parts of cuttlefish and whale secretions would be pretty gross in an of itself, regardless of the method of harvesting. While it *may* not exploit the whale in any meaningful way might make it OK, the fact it is comprised of animal stuff might put a vegan off. Feels like a grey area to me (or would that be a "gris" area? )

Good luck - let us know what you find!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 21st January 2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: correct typos - D'OH!
    ===
    ďÖ [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naÔve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.Ē ~ David Sedaris

"Can a vegan smell good too?"

Of course not, vegans all smell bad ;P

Since March 11 this year its forbidden within the UN to do animal testing of cosmetics (including soaps, parfumes and deodorants).

Banned
    Blog Entries

i doubt ambergris should be a problem.

it wasn't take from the animal when it was alive, nor are any animals harmed to extract the ambergris.

I guess it takes a little more effort to find the right fragrance for you, but it's probably out there.

In my opinion, definitely yes- but the choice of fragrance houses, including vegan ones, will hardly decrease and most likely further expand in future, it's becoming increasingly simple to find the right scent.

Yes, Vegans have souls. Unless you are a Ginger Vegan.

I'd like to think the OP got his answer by now

I am wondering if the smell of honey in a fragrance comes from natural honey. I would be surprised if so.