Code of Conduct

Exclamation ELD Tom of Finland launch.

includes notes of aldehydes, lemon, birch leaves, pine, blood note, safraline, metallic chrome notes, pepper, cypress, galbanum, geranium, vanilla, tonka bean, iris root, vetiver, styrax pyrogene,suede, musk, ambergris.

“THE WATER SLIPS
    OVER HIM AS IF SLIDING
    DOWN A MARBLE ROCK,
    SINKING INTO
    THE GROOVES OF HIS
    MUSCLES, VANISHING
    INTO HIS PORES.”.

I have been expecting this launch for nearly 4 months, and I can’t stand the wait: no longer: I had big expectations a bout this perfume and It didn’t dissapointed me at all.
    The first ELDO perfume created for men it’s as unique as the trademark.
    The whole formula is a tribute of the famous finish "Tom of Finland" erotic cartoon drawings:metal, leather, sensuality, beauty and radiance.

Despiste of the erotic resemblances the fragrance is an interpretation of the masculinity and the freshness.

Antoine Lie decided that the soul of the fragrance had to smell like "a guy coming out of a shower. He's clean, but not fragranced. And he puts on leather pants.".

Straight, gay, those two words hasn’t any connotation here.

You will have to be above 18 years old to buy it, as the packaging will have 8 numerated limited edition sexual orientated drawings.

Interesting.
    Last edited by madridbatabidd; 22nd January 2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Add blog info
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Default Re: ELD Tom of Finland launch.

Give me a break. I think i'll pass.

The dirty drawings are excellent, but will I like a sharp metallic, chrome and blood fragrance?

I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Give me a break. I think i'll pass.
    Me too. And why not simply make the bottle the shape of a shiny riding boot so that youngsters are also allowed to buy the stuff? They'll be the only ones to embrace its silliness anyway.

Basenotes Institution

What is it with the blood notes?

Ugh!

First it was that Thierry Mugler perfume coffret scent that has it...I can't remember the name now. Then the Secretions Magnifiques has it (ghastly!) and now this one? WTF??

I will smell it before I make a sweeping assumption, but to me this is bad news. Dirty pictures or not.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st January 2008 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madridbatabidd View Post
    The fragrance is based in sharp metallic, chrome and blood notes with hints of green notes, animalistic notes and leather. ...
    Interesting.
    Why wouldn't I want to know what these smell like together? Do I know already from these electronic words in front of Me? No.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Talking Re: ELD Tom of Finland launch.

Batabidd!

The notes are quite disgusting and I fear the list is not complete!

One good thing: After this release I'm sure Kouros will be praised as the most clean smelling perfume ever!

W

Talking Re: ELD Tom of Finland launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldemar View Post
    Batabidd!

The notes are quite disgusting and I fear the list is not complete!

One good thing: After this release I'm sure Kouros will be praised as the most clean smelling perfume ever!

W
    I did smell it and actually is not bad.
    Its quite leathery and metallic, I cant detect the blood.It remnds me the Rien but in a dark smoky metallic way
    There's nothing like secretions Magnifiques in this one...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by madridbatabidd View Post
    Its quite leathery and metallic, I cant detect the blood.It remnds me the Rien but in a dark smoky metallic way
    Rien is the ELDO scent, right? The one that smells like incense, if I remember correctly?

I tried this new one too.
    My perception of this frag is different.
    I smell it like fresh and clean scent of suede, musk, powder and something green-like (but not forest or grass).
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Sick.

Wink Re: ELD Tom of Finland launch.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Rien is the ELDO scent, right? The one that smells like incense, if I remember correctly?
    yep that's right it's kind of mineral incense fragrance.
    This Tom of filnland has vague similitaries: it's a metallic green twist, probably after the rien the second easier fragrance to wear of the ELDO range...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    I tried this new one too.
    My perception of this frag is different.
    I smell it like fresh and clean scent of suede, musk, powder and something green-like (but not forest or grass).
    It detect the same fresh greenish aura aswell (I think the cypress) but in my skin the metallic geranium leaves are quite prominent ( in a good way) and I don't care. Love it.
    Also, the dry down doesn't go powdery in my flesh. It's rather a soft leather going on plus a tar accent and a shy hint of musky & lovely ambergris (like the fab Eau des merveilles), the long lasting is impressive though. Soon I'd review it properly in my blog.

The whole notes:
    TOP NOTES: aldehyde, lemon
    MIDDLE NOTES: birch leaves,
    pine, safraline,
    pepper, cypress,
    galbanum, geranium
    BASE NOTES: vanilla, tonka
    bean, iris, vetiver,
    styrax pyrogene,
    suede, musk,
    amber gris
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    The dirty drawings are excellent, but will I like a sharp metallic, chrome and blood fragrance?.
    I don't think so.

Metallic note is based in geranium so it's kind of natural no synthetic. I can't detect no blood note.
    The notes are quite natural despite the previous launches went very surreal.
    Last edited by madridbatabidd; 22nd January 2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm absolutely tickled about ELDO doing this fragrance. Tom of Finland has long, long been associated with the hypermasculine leather community, which is notoriously anti-fragrance. Oh, the irony!
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

I think people are forgetting the bigger issue: how does it compare to Marquis de Sade?

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I think people are forgetting the bigger issue: how does it compare to Marquis de Sade?
    haha
    good thought
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF View Post
    I'm absolutely tickled about ELDO doing this fragrance. Tom of Finland has long, long been associated with the hypermasculine leather community, which is notoriously anti-fragrance. Oh, the irony!
    Absolutely agree, but you'd get the point as soon as you smell it. the general impression without dive into notes or this or that is like you smell like a clean but not scented man actually. It's a clever work , beleive me.
    Last edited by madridbatabidd; 31st January 2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

I ran into a picture of the bottle/packaging I thought I'd share.

I ran into a picture of the bottle/packaging I thought I'd share.

nice, thank you

To me the packaging looks cheap. I hope it smells better than it looks.

It doesn't look much different than their standard packaging...minus the ribbon.

I'm anxious to try it as well...I wouldn't expect those who are unfamiliar with ToF to be as interested as those of us who are.

That particular bottle ^^ doesn't really contain much in the way of "over 18" material, does it?

Why would anyone fall for this marketing crap?

I'll tell you why I would fall for the marketing crap, in my mid-teens, I had a secret stash of Tom of Finland "art" books hidden under my bed! Oh, the fond memories. Of course my parents found them and had a cow. Those mags are long gone now. It's funny that even after finding the magazines, I still had to come out to them years later! I think it's great marketing and I just hope the scent is decent.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    I'll tell you why I would fall for the marketing crap, in my mid-teens, I had a secret stash of Tom of Finland "art" books hidden under my bed! Oh, the fond memories.
    You are not the only one! LOL

The ELD people are pretty darn clever to link themselves with sexual themes...I should say that at least they are blatant about it. So far, I have managed to avoid falling for any/all of their scents however, I hold out hopes that this one will be good. Still wish I had my Tom of Finland mags!
    Mike...what's up with all the portraits that you have as your avatars? Are you an artist? That's the story I have been telling myself about you all this time.
    Last edited by paintrman; 4th February 2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Still wish I had my Tom of Finland mags!
    You can get all sorts of different ToF collections in book form. ;-)

Me, I like Douglas, Julius, and Logan. Not exactly the same style as ToF, but clearly they've taken the torch he passed...

Are these three separate guys that go by their first names (like Leonardo or Michaelangelo)? Or, are they characters in a book....? I haven't heard of them. More information would be appreciated!

K

Maybe it's a generational thing – my "under the bed" was the internet – but I really can't say I find the Tom of Finland stuff very outré. It's in the gray zone between something you'd be seen in public with and something you wouldn't, the latter mitigated by fact that it's the gay equivalent of Bettie Page pin-ups i.e. retro and more than a little camp.
    Still, I suppose if people are going to market scents based on artists, why not use creators of erotica? The only limit is "Will it sell?", so if it does, I guess the idea will speak for itself. Maybe in another ten years we'll have Goatse – the signature fragrance ( which I, for one, won't be buying... )

Does anyone know if it's available at Bendell's? would love to try it.

Are these three separate guys that go by their first names (like Leonardo or Michaelangelo)? Or, are they characters in a book....? I haven't heard of them. More information would be appreciated!

K
    I'll PM you!

Someone I know has a very important and respected gallery in my city and several years ago he had a show called "Taboo". He covered the windows of the gallery so that you could not see inside and the show brought in more people and, of course, more press than any other show. Fortunately, the art was quite good (Andre Serrano, Robert Mapplethorpe, Sally Mann, etc.) but certainly not very taboo or groundbreaking or really needing to be hidden- even the Mapplethorpe was rather tame.
    Good marketing.

Tom of Finland has a certain camp and nostalgic appeal and people will buy it (or at least try it) regardless of what it smells like. Remember that nothing sells a fragrance better that the notion that it is "not for everybody"

I would think that it probably should smell like leather, piss and motorbike oil, with a whiff of lavender, to be true to it's name.

Quote Originally Posted by ellis17 View Post
    I would think that it probably should smell like leather, piss and motorbike oil, with a whiff of lavender, to be true to it's name.
    That would be too obvious, don't you think?

Basenotes Institution

The blog ScentedSalamander reports:

'Etat Libre d'Orange have opened a subscription for an exclusive numbered collector set of Tom of Finland (the perfume) items. The subscription opened on February 1st and runs until...'

For more go to the link here.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

The Wholeman store in London has this on it's online store. The fragrance costs £50 in comparison with the regular £38 price tag of the regular Eau de parfums.

I hope that this is due to the quality of essences used and not just trying to cash in on what seems to be a popular movement.

great fetishised homoerotic sexual theme! not sure about the scent though...

Basenotes Institution

Has anyone else smelled this yet? Anyone seen it on a shelf in the U.S.?

Blog Entries

From The February 4, 2008 Bearotic Blog. No U.S. stores specified. Another site said more info was at the Tom of Finland Foundation website, but I couldn't find anything there.
    The 50-ml. eau de parfum spray is to retail in Europe for 75 euros, or $110 at current exchange. The scent will be launched in the Paris-based Etat Libre d’Orange store, online at etatlibredorange.com (browser resizing alert) and exclusively in the U.K.’s Harvey Nichols at the end of next month. It will then be rolled out for Canada in June exclusively at Holt Renfrew and in the U.S., among other countries.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    From The February 4, 2008 Bearotic Blog. No U.S. stores specified. Another site said more info was at the Tom of Finland Foundation website, but I couldn't find anything there.
    Thanks Hoos. The Bearotic blog huh? Luv the name!

Basenotes Institution

Patty at Perfume Posse gave this a thumbs up review here.

In the review she name checks a few fragrances I love: Nostalgia (SMN) and Eau de Fier (Annick Goutal). I think I am going to have to order a sample from The Perfumed Court to see what all the fuss is about.

Sur la Plage

Patty at Perfume Posse gave this a thumbs up review here.

In the review she name checks a few fragrances I love: Nostalgia (SMN) and Eau de Fier (Annick Goutal). I think I am going to have to order a sample from The Perfumed Court to see what all the fuss is about.
    Interesting....I do like Eau du Fier - so I may have to check this out. Plus I do love the package :-)
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well...

I'm disappointed with this scent. To me, it smells almost exactly like Burberry Touch. It must be the "crushed leaf" note, since Touch has a violet leaf note. Unfortunately, that's ALL I get out of it. It's not as sharp as Touch, though. Think of a "dirty" Touch, and that pretty much sums it up for me.

No! I had such high hopes. Although, as Mike pointed out, Patty at the Perfume Posse loved it (she really loved it). I guess I will have to try to get a sample somehow.

No! I had such high hopes. Although, as Mike pointed out, Patty at the Perfume Posse loved it (she really loved it). I guess I will have to try to get a sample somehow.
    I'm not ready to write it off just yet. I want to give it another go.

I got my sample from The Perfumed Court. I don't know if they ship to Mexico, though. If I find I don't truly care for the scent, I'll let you know and maybe we can work something out...

...but the crotch scent is already out...you must know which one I'm talking about...

hint: it's got truffles

Warning:Nudity Inside
    - Only if Burr gives Tom five with the whip, I shall consider it test worthy .
    Last edited by narcus; 25th April 2008 at 04:31 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

When I went into Henri Bendels at lunch time today they had three bottles of Tom of Finland in stock, now they have two. I had to buy it.
    It can be best described as, a little Dzing!, a little Palisander and a little White Linen (tucked into the left back pocket of your 501's, of course!)
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th May 2008 at 01:37 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    ...a little Dzing!, a little Palisander and a little White Linen (in the left side, back pocket of your 501's, of course!)
    Wow - what a combo Ruggles.

Did they ID you at Bendels?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Did they ID you at Bendels?
    No, but the SA did call me SIR.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th May 2008 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Un Chant d 'Amour View Post
    great fetishised homoerotic sexual theme! not sure about the scent though...
    I've tested this for you boys. After the bad experience of Secretion Magnifique I was a little scared, but Tom of Finland is nice - green airy opening, then a rubbery medicinal smell of freshly unwrapped condom mixed with more leathery notes and then a bitter and inky woody drydown, which last hours.

In few words: clean, young, manly and sexy. I was tempted to buy a bottle on the spot but I resisted thinking (Euro 80) I've plenty of both green and leathery scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    When I went into Henri Bendels at lunch time today they had three bottles of Tom of Finland in stock, now they have two. I had to buy it.
    It can be best described as, a little Dzing!, a little Palisander and a little White Linen (tucked into the left back pocket of your 501's, of course!)
    I think Ruggles got it quite right.... from my sample, it totally reminds me of Dzing! for the first few minutes, cardboard'y, sawdust'y, leathery, then mellows into soft woods and powder. In its later phases it does smell sweet, without being cloying, and yes, clean.

As for a bit of white linen in the left back pocket... I'd like to think wearing TofF is the olfactory equivalent... the scent IS more vanilla than leather, but the trouble is, not sure someone smelling it would recognise the code!
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

This is their best frag. no doubt....however, there is not a blood note in this one, like secretions... and it is not their first male scent...it is their 5th.