Code of Conduct

Thread: Yay for Ebay!

Default Yay for Ebay!

I just won a 50ml bottle of Vintage Balenciaga Le Dix for 9.50. I am CHUFFED! :-)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yay for Ebay!

Love that word, "chuffed"!

I've gotten a few good deals there, too. Congratulations on your find!

Congrats! I love ebay also. Today I won a vintage bottle of Fete by Molyneux, I am in heaven.
    Not as great a value as you found, but I wanted it desperately.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

OK - not being much of an eBay person ...

What are your recommendations for getting the best deals out of eBay - and not getting screwed in the process....
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Go Clemmie! Go Clemmie! Go Clemmie! Go Clemmie!

Like 30Roses I wanna commandeer "chuffed" - not sure exactly what it means - but WHO CARES!!

Have had mixed success with frag buys on EBay - frequently get sniped by more proficient bidders.But maybe one of them is y'all - so it's all good!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I've just won 30 ml (new) of Caron's Aimez-Moi EdT for 1(!) Euro!
    Caron seems to be widely unknown in Germany - or the scent is disgusting and I'm the only person who likes it.
    Last edited by Fragranza; 22nd January 2008 at 01:00 PM.

Tao - 'chuffed' means pleased. If you want to be extremely pleased you can be 'well chuffed' and if you are displeased you can be 'dischuffed', a word which made my South African husband laugh when he heard me say it. If you are extremely displeased you may be 'chuffed off' but that's verging on the coarse. If you are stingy and mean you are 'tighter than a gnat's chuff', which I take to be a rear-end kind of place. ('tight' means mean with money, though it can also mean drunk, in which case you are 'as tight as a tick', which is actually a rather graphic image, when you think about it and what ticks do. Ew!)

Living up to my username, aren't I?
    ;-)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post
    OK - not being much of an eBay person ...

What are your recommendations for getting the best deals out of eBay - and not getting screwed in the process....
    1. Do your research first. Check completed listings to see what the usual selling prices are (to determine whether they are in your range or whether it would be a waste of your time to bid!)

2. Assuming you do want to bid, locate a listing that has your desired item. Read the whole listing, examine the photos (a photo taken by the seller is preferable to a stock photo) check the terms of sale (TOS) and be sure the S&H is a price you are willing to pay. If no S&H is stated, use the Ask Seller a Question link to get an exact quote. If you don't, you may have a nasty surprise after you have won the auction, as some sellers try to make money on shipping. In fact, ask all questions before bidding-- not after!

3. Check the seller's feedback. 98.6% positive or better is a good rule of thumb, and preferably not a newbie seller. I like to read the positive feedbacks but I always check the non-positive feedbacks. To do this easily, go to Toolhaus.org and enter the seller's ID. This website is a useful tool-- I keep it bookmarked! This will give you a heads-up if the seller has had repeated complaints about, say, fake perfumes! Or breakage-- or shipping delays. Check the feedback the seller leaves as well; if I see abusive language and name calling, I don't bid. No item is worth dealing with that sort of seller.

4. If the item and the seller seem OK, put the item on your watch list. The description and TOS can be changed at any point until the final 12 hours. Be sure to recheck them during that time to be sure it still is something you want. Also, the days you are waiting for the end of auction you can continue to search for new listings of the same item, as you may find a better deal!

5. Bid the most you are willing to pay (plus a few cents to break a tie) only once-- all at once. eBay will only use as much of your bid as it needs to in order to keep you in the lead. This is the official advice given by eBay. Nibbling the bids upward is ineffective, makes your bidding predictable and may drive the price up needlessly.

I prefer to bid during the last 10 seconds (snipe.) Sniping protects you from being shilled by a seller or from being stalked and used as a personal shopper by other bidders, and it keeps you from tying up your money longer than you have to, or impulsively getting into a bidding war and overspending.

Sniping will not guarantee a win-- the highest bid wins every time. Even if you do not want to snipe, the advise stands to bid once and bid your true max-- you may not be able to bid again at the end of the auction (someone else may snipe!)

For more bidding discussion, try the Bidding discussion board on eBay.
    --------------------------------------
    Well, that was a bit longer than I had intended to write-- oops!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 22nd January 2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Dear 30: How helpful your plan is! I will copy and print out, and I promise never again to approach Ebay in the impulsive, haphazard way that I have in the past. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Go Clemmie! Go Clemmie! Go Clemmie! Go Clemmie!

Like 30Roses I wanna commandeer "chuffed" - not sure exactly what it means - but WHO CARES!!

Have had mixed success with frag buys on EBay - frequently get sniped by more proficient bidders.But maybe one of them is y'all - so it's all good!
    Well, 'chuffed' has been explained to you now, so my work is done (ahem! sorry I've been out a lot lately, no time to read or respond on BN). Anyway, I"m still CHUFFED TO MINTBALLS and waiting for my purchase to arrive (I think it did today but I wasn't here, so there's a big red Post Office collection card waiting for me).

I get sniped too - but thankfully not this time. Whee!
    Last edited by Clemmie; 23rd January 2008 at 06:10 PM.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

30 roses - thank you so much for the advice.

I do know that there are some eBay sniping tools available:
    - Auction Sniper
    - Bidnapper

...to name a couple....

A couple of eBay addicted co-workers swear by these tools. Anyone have experience with them?
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Please do not auction snipe me, it makes me cry

But on a happier note, yay for ebay, I won another Prince Matchabelli fragrance today, Christmas Angel. I am taking advantage of the fact, no one bids on this company. I wanted to acquire a few of their older scents, to understand early 20th century American perfumery.
    Well, even though Prince Matchabelli was a prince from Georgia (Slavik), he still created here in the states.
    So yay for bnb's that cost $2-$5, I can really indulge.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 23rd January 2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo oops
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post

A couple of eBay addicted co-workers swear by these tools. Anyone have experience with them?
    I never won an ebay auction until I started using Auction Sniper. I highly recommend it.

I'm not an E-Bay person....but congrats to You.....Gary

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Dear 30: How helpful your plan is! I will copy and print out, and I promise never again to approach Ebay in the impulsive, haphazard way that I have in the past. Thanks!!

Glad it was helpful!

You DO have to watch out for fake perfumes on eBay. There is discussion thread about this topic on the Health and Beauty board on eBay-- I hope I'm not breaking any rules here by posting a link to that discussion:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.js...5&x#1007124378
    --------------------------------------
    Ooh, I missed reading several of the last replies before posting. A few things to add:

About sniping-- there is no need to fear being sniped if you have bid your true max amount. Even if you are the first bidder and many people bid after you, including snipers, as long as your bid is the highest, you will win. Snipers can and do lose if anyone has bid higher than they have.

I tend to win my snipes, but that is because I don't bid low to try to get a great deal-- I just bid what the going market price is for the item-- or what it is worth to me, which may be above market price sometimes.

Sniping services are great for those times when sniping manually is inconvenient-- when you can't be at your computer. There are lots of different ones-- take your pick.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 24th January 2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost