Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Not too formal job interview - what fragrance to wear ?

Hi there
    I'm going this Thursday to a job interview, where no one expects me to be too formal (not even a buttoned shirt) although I would definitely want to leave a good impression. What would you wear ?

I have a pretty big collection but I'm too lazy to list them here (and my wardrobe here is not really up to date), so just feel free to name any designer fragrance that comes to your mind (I have some niche too, but not too many).

Thanks !!!
    Last edited by eisho; 22nd January 2008 at 09:57 AM.

Default Re: Not too formal job interview - what to wear ?

Not in right section, but anyways:

I'd go ahead with a clean polo and slacks. Or go ahead with the button up. I probably would go ahead with the button up.

Default Re: Not too formal job interview - what to wear ?

Sorry I was misunderstood: I meant what fragrance should I wear, not clothes

Thanks anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Not too formal job interview - what fragrance to wear ?

Eau d' Hadrien, EdP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Not too formal job interview - what fragrance to wear ?

Without knowing what actual job, or what sorta job your applying for, its kinda hard to say.

In general, for interviews I'd always go something subtle and smooth, with a reasonable amount of masculinity. Bvlgari Pour Homme would be my choice out of what I own, or on a cold day Paul Smith - London. Rive Gauche would be another good one. Make sure whatever you wear is applied sparingly, incase they dont like it.

I'm wearing V&R's Antidote today, and it seems clean, classy, and elegant enough to be interview worthy.

Post Thanks / Like

I interview a lot of people, I say do not wear any.. but maybe I'm buyist because I'm sick of people wearing modern, meaningless aquatics.. if any something simple, as per recommendations by our fellow basenoters
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

Post Thanks / Like

Egoiste Platinum...this one represents I´am here and want that job. For me it is a leader scent.

Mugler Cologne. Nice, clean, spiffy

Shalimar.

Let's see how informal they really are! Tee-hee.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Thanks for all your recommendations

What do you think about CSP's L'eau du Gouverneur ?

IMHO I would proceed with great caution ... most HR folks and headhunters would probably suggest that you not wear anything. I don't know what stage your interview is at, but early interviews are often used as opportunities to pare down the list of candidates. Why screw up your chances if you happen to run across someone that is cologne-intolerant or simply doesn't like what you are wearing?

Post Thanks / Like

In the "old days" they suggested a one-page resume - that ship has sailed. The rules have changed. I show up with clean resumes on heavy cotton paper, and I can't give one away. Everyone already has a photocopy.
    Dress for the job (or one step above for the interview). If you wear cologne wear something you might wear on the job - and don't overdo it.
    I have worn Guerlain Vetiver, Paco Rabanne, and Equipage on interviews.

Post Thanks / Like

given the limited amount of information you've provided, the only one I can reccommend is Mugler Cologne!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Eisho,
    I say this as a total scent freak... wear nothing. If you wear something, I figure you've got at most a 15% chance that it will be viewed positively, and 85% chance that it will be viewed negatively, or at best not noticed at all.

Yes, I know that won't be a popular answer here.

When you get hired, bring on the juice! Good luck!

Shalom, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I would say it depends upon the industry. If the job interview is medical, electronics, semiconductor or food service - there may be rules about scents so it would be best to wear none since scents will leave a "he doens't get it" impression. And if you land the job - well, you wouldn't be allowed to wear any frags anyway so more "at home out on the town" scents!!

If it is in technology - and you HAVE to wear something - usually I would tends towards nothing or very subtle as well. At least for the interview.

If it is an exploratory interview (sounds like) and scents would be tolerated, something with just about ZERO sillage, if anything, and make sure it is fairly nondescript and draws no attention to itself.

Expect to perspire a bit more than in other situations - so anything you wear will evaporate and smell more than otherwise.

Of course, if you are working for a fragrance house, then whatever the newest or some vintage hard to get of their line - would be what to wear!

(Its a shame that outside of the "can't wear em for technical reasons" we have become so sensitive to scents and react negatively - but it seems to be the case more and more)
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 22nd January 2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Typos
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

YSL L'Homme
    Narciso For Him

Post Thanks / Like

I've been in management for a long time and have interviewed many people. My advice is to not wear any fragrance. Get the job first, then wear whatever you like.

I agree that the chances of a fragrance adversely affecting the interviewer's opinion of you are very much higher than otherwise. You are probably better off if the interviewer has some knowledge of fragrance, but generally speaking, based on my experience, most do not.

At any rate, if you wear a fragrance, it WILL definitely affect the interviewer's attitude towards you, and you cannot count on him or her having the same opinion of your fragrance as you do. In my opinion it's just far too risky.

Again, concentrate on the basics of the interview and get the job first if you want it. After you begin the job, then display the wonders of your scent wardrobe!

noggs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I've been in management for a long time and have interviewed many people. My advice is to not wear any fragrance. Get the job first, then wear whatever you like.

I agree that the chances of a fragrance adversely affecting the interviewer's opinion of you are very much higher than otherwise. You are probably better off if the interviewer has some knowledge of fragrance, but generally speaking, based on my experience, most do not.

At any rate, if you wear a fragrance, it WILL definitely affect the interviewer's attitude towards you, and you cannot count on him or her having the same opinion of your fragrance as you do. In my opinion it's just far too risky.

Again, concentrate on the basics of the interview and get the job first if you want it. After you begin the job, then display the wonders of your scent wardrobe!

noggs
    Agreed. A fragrance will not increase your chance of landing a job but can certainly decrease it!

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1holegrouper View Post
    Agreed. A fragrance will not increase your chance of landing a job but can certainly decrease it!
    I disagree whole heartedly.
    I think its important here to remember that cologne can be applied as a means to build ones confidence for an interview.
    I feel empowered when entering a business meeting with, for example, a few drops of Platinum Egoiste or Love Potion No.9 behind my jaw.

The way you feel entering an interview can ultimately effect the way you present yourself. Feeling confident can translate to being perceived as confident, and thus INcrease your chances of being a successful candidate.

There are no magic potions, but whenever I have interviewed candidates, I feel those wearing a sensible amount of cologne take their personal grooming and appearance seriously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Everyone offers up an impression. Wearing perfume contributes to that impression.
    I wear perfume, always. This contributes to what people know (or should know) about me.
    It's easy to overdo it, of course. But it's also easy to overdo anything else about one.
    So, use perfume and as with all things, display good taste in application and that, more than anything else, will contribute favorably to their impression of you.

After all, they're employing a human being not a blank white piece of paper.

I just realized I didn't answer the question: Mugler Cologne, why not? It's clean and fresh.
    Last edited by ifconfig; 22nd January 2008 at 05:00 PM.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Dimitri. If only more managers were as enlightened as you!

I too regard a bit of scent as a regular part of dressing up, and in my own interviews it isn't really an issue. Sometimes I even bring up the subject if the person I'm interviewing is wearing something interesting. Unfortunately, this isn't the case with most managers, at least the ones I've known.

I do think it matters which industry we're talking about. For example, I work in the petroleum industry, where most managers are either hardcore scientists who think fragrances are silly and a waste of money or good old boys who think fragrances are for sissies and wouldn't be caught dead wearing any.

So my experience is within a fragrance challenged industry. I do think attitudes in other fields are probably more relaxed and realistic. But I can only offer advice based upon what I know.

I do agree with you about the confidence factor. I also wear certain fragrances for that reason. But while a fragrance may make the wearer feel more confident, he also has to be aware of how the interviewer may percieve that fragrance and his wearing of it. Certainly a small amount of a high quality, somewhat conservative fragrance, worn discretely as you mentioned, will usually be better in an interview than wearing too much of something provocative.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 22nd January 2008 at 05:16 PM.

A few suggestions in no particular order:

Eau Sauvage
    JHL
    Bulgari pour Homme (either version)
    Aramis 900
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (either version)
    YSL pour Homme
    Very Valentino
    Gucci Envy (applied judiciously)
    Lalique Lion or Equus (", in either version)
    Any good quality lavender water
    " " " vetiver
    Bois de Portugal (Do NOT over-apply!)
    Millesime Imperial (")
    GIT (")
    Lanvin L'Homme
    Tiffany for Men (applied lightly)
    Carven Homme
    Aramis (applied cautiously)
    Barbier des Isles
    Neroli Sauvage
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd January 2008 at 07:33 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I'd vote for Caron's 3d Man, or maybe Guerlain's L'Instant Pour Homme.

Teddius

Thanks again everyone !!!

Mugler Cologne it is, then

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Not too formal job interview - what fragrance to wear ?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Without knowing what actual job, or what sorta job your applying for, its kinda hard to say.

In general, for interviews I'd always go something subtle and smooth, with a reasonable amount of masculinity. Bvlgari Pour Homme would be my choice out of what I own, or on a cold day Paul Smith - London. Rive Gauche would be another good one. Make sure whatever you wear is applied sparingly, incase they dont like it.
    Great suggestion - Bulgari PH! Also, Antidote by Victor & Rolf. Both understated and close wearing, however attractive!

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Great suggestion - Bulgari PH! Also, Antidote by Victor & Rolf. Both understated and close wearing, however attractive!
    A fellow Antidote lover? I've only got a little 7ml mini of this, but will probably be tracking down a large 120ml bottle when it runs out. The versatility of this frag is amazing. And, it's close to the skin nature and "short" longevity (well, it can be detected quite a bit later if one warms up a bit..it's been on about 9 hours now and I'm getting some gorgeous wafts if it now as I'm quite warm) is actually quite welcome. I get sick of scents that are too strong and 'overstay their welcome' such as Body Kouros.

Do you wear it yourself? I've heard that a lot of women enjoy this one too.

A very light fragrance, somewhat traditional, Eau Sauvage, Equipage (if dressed up), Mugler if semi-dressed up. The key is go light on the amount. You never know what the other person's nose will tolerate.....
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SculptureOfSoul;1141525]A fellow Antidote lover? I've only got a little 7ml mini of this, but will probably be tracking down a large 120ml bottle when it runs out. The versatility of this frag is amazing. And, it's close to the skin nature and "short" longevity (well, it can be detected quite a bit later if one warms up a bit..it's been on about 9 hours now and I'm getting some gorgeous wafts if it now as I'm quite warm) is actually quite welcome. I get sick of scents that are too strong and 'overstay their welcome' such as Body Kouros.

Do you wear it yourself? I've heard that a lot of women enjoy this one too.[/QUOTE

I don't wear Antidote, but I did get a sample when it was first launched. I thought it was a great all-around/all purpose manly sort of scent...my husband thought it was a bit too sweet, but I love it! Sometimes it's refreshing& intriguing to get just the tiniest hint of fragrance ~ rather than the whole blast at once : like Kouros.

Post Thanks / Like

I can guarantee you that the right choice is:

NO PERFUME AT ALL.

Trust me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Not too formal job interview - what fragrance to wear ?

Gotta agree with Lucius on this one. You don't know who you'll be dealing with.

( Now if it turns out you don't like your job and want to get laid off I can recommend Carlo Corinto--not a bad scent really, but MONSTER sillage )

Hail the 13th!

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Gendarme.

I wore Egoiste to the art school.

Made the first cut from 125 to 15 and I will hear back from them in 2 weeks

I would go with a very light cologne which smells clean and fresh - something like Roger & Gallet cologne would be good. The sillage is light but it smells classy and is light and fresh and won't offend.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Creed Original Vetiver
    Canali Men
    Hugh Parsons Blue
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 10th November 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If anything, something absolutely inoffensive and wear it sparingly so other people can just barely detect it. No powerhouse, no niche, just plain aquatic is the only way to go. Thats the reason the current market is flooded with them, they don't really offend anyone, aka work safe (what most people buy colognes for in the first place).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I can guarantee you that the right choice is:

NO PERFUME AT ALL.

Trust me.

i am with you.

the point is the interviewer(s) might not the perfume or might have had a bad association with it and that could affect your chances of being hired.

interviewers, however, are trained to overcome things like that but we are all human and the effect is so strong.

self confidence should be projected from within. have mastery from whom you and from what you have got.

I think guerlain vetiver could be in.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Lalique Lion or Equus (", in either version)
    I can attest to Lalique PH Equus EDP if you want something with low sillage.

Post Thanks / Like

I think to OP has probably had his interview by now....
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

Geir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm wearing V&R's Antidote today, and it seems clean, classy, and elegant enough to be interview worthy.
    That's what I'd wear, too - or maybe Eau Sauvage

If anything, wear a dab on your wrist for your own enjoyment. Don't risk it.

I would over dress, though. If they say casual, go business casual, step it up. I would worry more about fresh breath rather than a fresh frag.

First impressions are based on shoes and if they are polished, second impression is based on smile and firm handshake.

Good luck, bruh!
    Peace ~ Markymark

Ask the woman in your life closest to you. They would know how you project the best. If you cannot,
    I would go with a light and airy citrus. Good luck.

akdeluxe
    Attached Images Attached Images

a splash of Cologne 68,
    & if it is winter a drop of Ormand Jayne Man

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nothing unless you know for sure what the interviewer(s) like. Reading these boards for a little while you can see that every fragrance bothers someone. Unless you're interviewing for a job selling fragrance, nothing you chose will help you get the job. But it could hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

There should be a sticky for this because there's a lot of this question going around. Assuming you're in north america I'd wear a Neroli or a light wood, I wouldn't wear anything heavy and -- especially with Chanel's PE as recommended above -- just one spray.

I'll second the over dressing, though I'd say it depends on the environment. As outlined above you don't want to wear a suit and tie to a construction site.
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

Coolwater can never go wrong , oh wait dude u gonna smell like the interviewer!! hahaha
    Last edited by djobeat; 12th June 2009 at 08:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a very sublet touch of Third man could be right, a very friendly juice.
    However the idea of wearing nothing is also good, me I could not live with the idea of wearing nothing, it will be like not cleaning my teeth or wearing no underwear. Do what you feel right
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I got into the art school (few posts back) ! Huge cuts and still made it

Orientals don't scare people as much as the way I read about it here on basenotes I guess.

Now I'm going to think about what to wear to first day of school in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    Nothing unless you know for sure what the interviewer(s) like. Reading these boards for a little while you can see that every fragrance bothers someone. Unless you're interviewing for a job selling fragrance, nothing you chose will help you get the job. But it could hurt.
    Nice point;

What would you guys wear when you had a job interview for selling perfume or as a perfumer...?

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    Nice point;

What would you guys wear when you had a job interview for selling perfume or as a perfumer...?
    I'll spray the crap outta my creed till the last bit

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel pour Monsieur

Generally speaking, I wouldn't wear a fragrance to an interview, but I HAVE thrown on "after shave" after the shave that day. And, that was almost something very forgettable with tiny sillage - like 4711 or something. It's just too risky I think - when you've got so much riding on your first impression, and fragrances are so subjective, why roll the dice? You're already rolling the dice with everything you say - no need to stack the odds with something that your interviewer(s) might find revolting.

However, in a perfect world, the scent that would probably get you the job, bingo-bango, no questions asked - is Brooks Brothers 1818. Positively reeks of success. I wish I still had mine!

Cheers
    Last edited by Carl Kolchak; 17th June 2009 at 05:18 AM. Reason: copy error

I agree with many of the previous posters who urge great caution or to avoid a scent at a job interview. Although I love scents, I would be reluctant to hire someone who was wearing any scent, even one of my favorites, in any excess (which is admittedly subjective). In this age of cubicles and shared offices, I would be concerned that I would have to deal with complaints from others. Women are perhaps the greatest offenders, in my experience though. Some come to an interview positively reeking. I am not an HR person but have been in many positions with hiring authority. Get the job, then assess the landscape. Best of luck on your interview!

Post Thanks / Like

These recomendations come from a person who has interviewed and hired hundreds of people for very good positions in very stylish office environment for job positions of: senior management, sales, admin, marketing, product design, and I am a fragrance collector on top of this. Be conservative with fragrance in an interview!

It's a fine line you cross, but when you've crossed it it will turn off your chances for getting a job. So absolutely DO NOT wear a fragrance that is: sweet, heavy, cloying, aggressive, too stylish or that takes a high level of sophistication to appreciate (Creed, MPG, etc). Also, don't wear a fragrance that might speak down to your interviewer such as Old Spice or Skin Bracer or Aqua Velva etc like you are trying to be one of the guys. You would be better off to wear no fragrance at all than to wear an attention getter such as "what was his fragrance?!". Never wear a leather, patchouli, oriental, floral, amber or vanilla, sandalwood, or any everyday drug store scent. The likelihood of offending someone is just too great.

A light application of something clean and generic is safe. A fragrance like Mugler Cologne, Acqua di Gio, Eau de Cologne Imperiale or Acqua di Parma is pretty safe. A very light application of more modern fragrances such as DKNY pour Homme or Versace Pour Homme would be fine. But, heavy applications of fragrances that are otherwise generic like Gendarme, Azzaro Chrome or Fierce can be a high negative in a job interview. Best play it safe and wear a light eau de cologne or nothing at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    These recomendations come from a person who has interviewed and hired hundreds of people for very good positions in very stylish office environment for job positions of: senior management, sales, admin, marketing, product design, and I am a fragrance collector on top of this. Be conservative with fragrance in an interview!

It's a fine line you cross, but when you've crossed it it will turn off your chances for getting a job. So absolutely DO NOT wear a fragrance that is: sweet, heavy, cloying, aggressive, too stylish or that takes a high level of sophistication to appreciate (Creed, MPG, etc). Also, don't wear a fragrance that might speak down to your interviewer such as Old Spice or Skin Bracer or Aqua Velva etc like you are trying to be one of the guys. You would be better off to wear no fragrance at all than to wear an attention getter such as "what was his fragrance?!". Never wear a leather, patchouli, oriental, floral, amber or vanilla, sandalwood, or any everyday drug store scent. The likelihood of offending someone is just too great.

A light application of something clean and generic is safe. A fragrance like Mugler Cologne, Acqua di Gio, Eau de Cologne Imperiale or Acqua di Parma is pretty safe. A very light application of more modern fragrances such as DKNY pour Homme or Versace Pour Homme would be fine. But, heavy applications of fragrances that are otherwise generic like Gendarme, Azzaro Chrome or Fierce can be a high negative in a job interview. Best play it safe and wear a light eau de cologne or nothing at all.
    very very precise. Let me suggest a small splash of agua lavanda. It is cheap money wise but not cheap smelling. It is very refreshing, confidence boosting, subtle, uplifting, unique and cheerful. I t usually disappears in half an hour so no danger of serious projecting. Absolute NO NO are Bijan/Kouros/Quorum.

I think 2 squirts of Azarro PH would be fine too. (I wore my dad's APH in my first interview and I was hired.) But only 2 squirts.

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    Mugler Cologne. Nice, clean, spiffy
    This
    Its shower clean or nothing at all.
    Last edited by Fletch31; 10th November 2010 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If anything, keep it very, very light. Stick to a simple fragrance that says polite, clean, professional, fresh, well-groomed, modest. A single spray of Eau Sauvage to the chest is probaby a good choice.

This question of what fragrance to wear for various professional or career situations, interviews, business meetings, come up often. Really, nobody can give good advice without knowing what occupation you are in, what level you are at, or what firm you work for or are interviewing with. The answer for an interview as a senior graphic designer with a cutting-edge ad house will be different than that for a receptionist for an alergy clinic. Posters who want these questions answered correctly need to give more details.

Post Thanks / Like

No scent to a job interview is the best advice.