Code of Conduct

Default What if your new girlfriend wanted you to wear some real crap?!

So most of us here have developed quite particular tastes in our fragrances at this point. What if you started dating someone new, and they weren't keen on any of your scents (yeah right ) and insisted that the only fragrance they liked was some real garbage. Now, we obviously have our own ideas about what constitutes a crappy fragrance, but what if it was one of those that you really can't stand and often rip on here on BN?

"Sorry, hun, but if it's Beyond Paradise or the highway, I'm going to have to end this relationship"
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: What if your new girlfriend wanted you to wear some real crap?!

Personally, I'd be looking for a new SO I wear what I like first.

Paul is apeshit ga-ga for A*men, and I won't even let him keep a bottle in the house.
    I once even told him that if he were to wear it he'd have to shower before coming home. (And I meant that.)

I know this isn't really what you asked, but it's as close as I can come. I don't consider A*men crap per se, no, but it just makes me so physically ill that I can't be around it, no matter how much my partner of 13 years likes it.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd January 2008 at 05:10 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I think this problem would be fun. Of course I'd keep working at the girlfriend to try to get her to find something she'd like that I like, after all, for me and this hobby, I ache to have a girlfriend I can spray in the morning with my latest infatuation in scents.

If I got a refusal still, I'd really have to weigh the advantages against the inconvenience.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Well, it wouldn't be a good indication of a successful relationship. So, for the sake of my sanity... NEXT!

Your post made me laugh real hard
    If she likes something and you like it, wear it.
    If she likes something and you can't stand it, never ever wear it. It's wrong. Always chose the highway over Beyond Paradise (Beyond Paradise, of course, represents anything you don't wanna do ).
    Last edited by Mostapha; 22nd January 2008 at 05:27 PM.

To be frank, my girlfriend wasn't exposed to many good fragrances before she met me. She told me she really like Aqua de Gio (which isn't horrible smelling, but I'm not fond of it). Now she likes all kinds of things. Her favourite on me is Rose 31 (and Santal Noble), but I also wear pure sandalwood oil, and I recently tried out an agarwood (oud) attar and she liked it a lot.

I wouldn't wear something for someone else that I really *didn't* like.

I'm not sure I could easily be with someone who didn't appreciate scent the way I do. How someone views scent can be, to me, an indication of how they view life. Speaking from strictly personal experience, deep thinkers who have a creative outlook tend to be more ecclectic in their scent preferences, and usually appreciate their sense of smell more. They're more in touch with their senses.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 22nd January 2008 at 05:28 PM.

Thrax

You can kill her,. I wont tell nobody...

If she likes a certain crap cologne, chances are it was used by someone previously close to her. How could she have her mind made up already otherwise?
    Current Wardrobe: Terre d'Hermes (duh), Guerlain Vetiver, Bvlgari Aqua, Bvlgari Pour Homme, Mugler Cologne, Rochas Man, Green Irish Tweed

It depends (doesn't everything?)

Life is about choice and consequences. If, because of a perfume, you want to get rid of your girlfriend or boyfriend, then that person really didn't mean anything to you anyway.

No way in all hell will I get rid of my beautiful wife of ten years because she doesn't like one of my silly perfumes. I'd have said the same thing when I knew her for only a few months and she wasn't my wife!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Compromise. If you want it to work, wear it.
    If you can't stand it, tell her

This kind of girl is a disaster. Next time she would ask you to wash up with your hands you previsously had sprayed on with Patou Homme.
    Break up immediately.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Fragrance control now...would clothes, friends, money, life control soon follow?
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Man, this is serious. If it's Beyond Paradise? "Baby, I gotta ramble."

If she was seriously mega-hot, I might pull the BP every once in a while. Or I might just wear something else and say it was BP. "No babe. This is the real deal. Don't you know that each fragrance reacts differently with your natural oils. This is just how Beyond Paradise smells on me."

I'm totally playing, but I do notice that my wife loves scents in my collection that aren't nearly my favorites, like Dior Homme, M7, and Black Aoud. Given, none of these are bad scents by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't feel like wearing them every day. As a compromise, I wear them on special occasions. This gives them a higher status in her eyes, and that way we're both happy.
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig View Post
    It depends (doesn't everything?)

Life is about choice and consequences. If, because of a perfume, you want to get rid of your girlfriend or boyfriend, then that person really didn't mean anything to you anyway.

No way in all hell will I get rid of my beautiful wife of ten years because she doesn't like one of my silly perfumes. I'd have said the same thing when I knew her for only a few months and she wasn't my wife!
    I agree totally, there's some history and time with your wife. However a NEW girlfriend is a diff situation. But you're right, it depends

Post Re: What if your new girlfriend wanted you to wear some real crap?!

The new girlfriend, would become the old girlfriend!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I'd buy a bottle of BP, as well as a bottle of something similar to what she hates on me, and just decant the bottles into each other, then spray it on myself in front of her. If she insists she still doesn't like it, I'd break the news that it really is BP, but if she does, I'd be like "hey honey bunchkins, since you like this one, can I experiment with others? You might find something you like on me more than Beyond [Satan's] Paradise!"

Anyways, I have yet to find a girl that I date who doesn't go bonkers for what I wear... actually, I have yet to find even a single girl who doesn't like my end-of-winter/beginning-of-spring wardrobe, which includes Double Black and Un Jardin sur le Nil as my staples.

I've made the sacrifice before. Luckily it was something that I owned and liked at one point. I didn't especially enjoy wearing it but it made her happy and that was okay with me.

Now I have a girl in France, who just went to Grasse and bought me something there. I have to wait until she gets back (4 months from now) to smell it and all I know is that she likes it...

My theory is that if the girl makes you happier than the smell makes you cringe then you are doing alright.

I'm so dumb. Because I'm such an idiot I read the question as "what if my new girlfriend wanted to wear some real crap?" leaving out the part about crap she wanted ME to wear.

It would be a deal breaker. Anyone who wanted me to turn off something that I like in such a way wouldn't be worth the time.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Chris, I agree with you... to me, fragrances are not something I just wear to smell good -- they reflect my mood, my mentality, and my personality. They are an estimate of how I feel, and what I want the day to be like.

You shouldn't have to change for anybody.

if you really like her then you could wear what you like during your work time, after work when you are around her you can apply the best compromise scent. i would think in time you would be able to find quite a few good compromising scents that you both can live with.

if you have to take a quick shower after work to remove the scent she hates.

for me, if i started to date a woman that cant tolerate any cologne she would have to be very special indeed for it to work.

cheers,
    ryan

I went out with a girl that only professed to like the smell of 'Afta'. That stuff smelled like antiseptic lotion on me.

Wore it once, then never wore it again. The girl moved on in a few months, so did I.

She married a Plumber who used to beat the crap out of her on a regular basis. She left him (good). He wore Afta aftershave.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

The two great loves of my life both told me that they really loved Armani PH, and wanted me to wear it. I can take or leave that scent, but the reason they liked it was because previous boyfriends had worn it. For that reason alone I refused flat out to wear it.

I think I would look for someone more sophisticated.

I'm impressed with the wide variety of responses!

I completely agree with not wearing a scent that your s/o wants you to wear because a previous lover of theirs had worn it!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I'm impressed with the wide variety of responses!

I completely agree with not wearing a scent that your s/o wants you to wear because a previous lover of theirs had worn it!
    I completely agree. It begs the question, is the object of your amore' interested in you, or the memory of the one who is not you? If he/she wants you to wear a scent that a previous lover wore, it is a sign that that person has not moved on from the prior relationship and needs to continue to evoke memories (through scent) of that past love/relationship.
    Last edited by greendragon; 22nd January 2008 at 10:20 PM.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Dont wear what they want you to.

Wear whatever you like, but pick one in particular to wear really often, and they will soon come to associate that frag with you and love it

a good scent wardrobe takes time, money, effort and taste to put together...

new girlfriends are everywhere and easy to acquire...

she can have my heart...

my balls stay put.

well, most scents have better longevity than an average one of my relationships.. I mean, perhaps the pace in which I get restless with scents and switch to new ones is some kind of romantic parallel... time to recline on an analysts couch soon... mmm.. couch..leather... leather couch.. cuiron.... <sigh>

a.

If she insist that she only likes one fragrance, I'd be suspicious that she just wants you to wear what The One Who Got Away wore. Never.
    I'd compromise and wear something you enjoy that contains her favorite notes.
    Last edited by leffleur; 23rd January 2008 at 02:37 AM.

Sorry, but she will soon learn to "acquire" my taste in cologne just as I may someday be forced to "acquire" her taste in furniture...

Beyond Paradise?? Sure any girl I'd ever get with would have better taste than that... If it came down to it, I would wear it though to make her happy, but not all the time, just once in a while to give her a treat. I'd expect her to do the same for me, with Musc Ravageur or Britney Spears Fantasy, oh boy!

Surely though, my collection is vast enough for to like SOMETHING from my collection for me to wear. I once had a girl over who tested EVERY SINGLE FRAGRANCE in my collection, only to like Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street a lot, and tolerated Montale Roses Musk and Chanel Platinum Egoiste (she HATED the rest!). Relationships are about compromises, so she better freakin compromise!

Of course, if you only apply one spritz, as opposed to bathing in cologne, most girls will tolerate any high quality fragrance...

I dated a girl that wanted me to wear Lucky You instead of my Gucci PH of the time. I wore it only when around her and sold it on eBay once we broke up

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Speaking from strictly personal experience, deep thinkers who have a creative outlook tend to be more ecclectic in their scent preferences, and usually appreciate their sense of smell more. They're more in touch with their senses.
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    a good scent wardrobe takes time, money, effort and taste to put together...

new girlfriends are everywhere and easy to acquire...

she can have my heart...

my balls stay put.
    Creative and open-minded girls should understand what is a quality scent and what is a crasp scent.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

So why is the new girlfriend interested in you...first date...I think she will smell you (maybe from far) and if you not good smellin (for her)...why she should say "yes ok, he stinks but he is nice...maybe he wears my bad taste of garbage fragrances...just jokin...
    First impression on a date is how you smell.

I think there is always a way to find what else she likes. Or introduce her to a bunch of other frags that would be agreabble to both of you.