Code of Conduct

Default Down with Stella

First I'll 'fess up. This is a newbie post for sure. I don't think I've ever started a thread on this forum, and I've done only a cursory glance over the threads involving Stella McCartney's Stella. I didn't spot a thread discussing it and its popularity so I'm going to take the newbie plunge and start one. You guys are certainly more savvy about what goes on on this board, so if you've got links I should check out I will certainly do so and I'll declare myself a fool for not having found them before. On to the issue:

What is it with Stella? Smells nice, even very nice, but recently I've decided I'm sick of it. Too popular. First a co-worker wore it, and I was happy when I worked near her cubicle. Then a date wore it a half dozen times as we went out for a while, and I thought how nice, here's that nice scent again. That ended and six months later I went out with a different woman. She wore Stella too. Not this again.

What's up with all this Stella around? Is this the current Angel, the current Giorgio, the current Obsession? All the popularity has killed my interest in smelling the stuff. So over done. Is it popular where you are and with women in your circles of acquaintance? Has it worn out for you too? Do you wear it much yourself?

Thanks, and I'll try to search better first next time.
    Thanks,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Down with Stella

I wouldn't say it's popular where I am. I don't know anyone that wears it, and I've never even sniffed it. I spent a little time sampling Stella McCartney's rose fragrance, but it just disappeared within seconds, and I can't buy a perfume with no longevity. I really haven't bothered with any Stella frags at all.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

When I worked at Sephora, it was very popular. The women adored it, they thought it was great. I personally found 'Ce soir ou jamais' by Annick Goutal to be a much nicer, better rounded, overall preferable rosy scent. I thought Stella was closer, in scent, to drawer sachets. We had a training and I received a free bottle. I tried to give it to my mother, she would have nothing to do with it. I tried to give it to a friend, she was not interested either. I finally plopped it in a bag of clothing for charity, hoping 'someone' would like it.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

I don't know anyone who wears Stella, but few of my friends and aquaintances wear perfumes consistently. Nor do they usually remark upon the myriad of scents that I wear. I had dinner with a friend who wore Coco the other night, and she wore it only to show off her Christmas present from the boyfriend also at the dinner. I am aware that this identifies me as a social freak.

I'm not sure I'd recognise Stella just in passing, either. I doubt if it is distinctive enough to be identified so readily, not that this counts against it in my book.

The bottles, on the other hand, are on display everywhere in the UK. From the high street shops to the up-market boutique departments, there is Stella to greet me in all its versions. You'd think you'd be able to smell it everywhere, but not so. In fact, I don't even smell Angel all that often despite my tongue in cheek remarks on its ubiquity.

I don't wear it, my friends don't wear it, so just who is wearing Stella?
    Last edited by Sestra; 22nd January 2008 at 10:16 PM.

I think it is popular, but I hardly ever met someone on whom it sits right, i.e. without the car-mechanic-y undertones. I am not the one who wears it well either. Sorry.

I've never smelled it!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I also prefer Goutal's Ce Soir Ou Jamais. Stella seems to be missing something. And I've never smelled it on anyone.

I'm down with Stella off and on, but I associate it with early Spring so that is when I tend to wear it most.
    I never smell it on anyone even though it is a big seller.

Oh well, I know that no woman will ever rock Stella the way I do. lol

Just as no women will ever rock Poison or Obsession the way I do.

LMAO!! I'm slightly insane, but I enjoy myself.
    Last edited by Airy; 23rd January 2008 at 01:12 AM.
    Sometime I wish the aliens would abduct me and crown me as their leader.
    George Noory

Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like it's either a fluke that these three women I know have worn it or that women in my city are using a lot of it. I like a rose scent, so I guess on the basis of the scent itself it shouldn't be bad for me. Oh well.

Thanks again,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

summer means fireflys

I would say that it is fairly popular here in south-central Kansas ... There is not a lot to choose from here, so when a trendy designer's fragrance hits the Dillards, everyone jumps on board.

It didn't work on my skin ... I passed on my sample to my Mom, her Mom's name was Stella, I thought she might enjoy that. But she didn't like it either ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Um...I LUV it now and then. (Always late to the party!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like it's either a fluke that these three women I know have worn it or that women in my city are using a lot of it. --Chris
    Or, it could be that you are attracted to the type of woman who is attracted to Stella. In turn, that type of woman is also attracted to you. What type are you and what does all this mean within the greater context of the fragrance you chose to attract the type of woman who is attracted to Stella in the first place?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

It's very popular here in Finland as well. I've never liked it.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I remember when Stella was launched - there was QUITE a rave about it here on BN. Then there was Stella Sheer, and Stella In Two....and...well...I guess Stella has become yesterday's news.
    I do know about the DH of one BN member who likes it a lot, and wears it himself....

Hey - where are you, Quarry??
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

In Sweden the shops only hold very few bottles of Stella today, and one have to dig to find the bodylotion and the deo... I guess Stella is on it´s way out. I find this development sad, as I like Stella. It is a very pure rose-scent IMHO, easy to wear and also not expensive.

I have Stella, Stella Rose Absolut and the bodylotion.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I've been too many years in Europe to count and I have yet to smell Stella on anyone. But it seems to be big in N America. I can't stand rose perfumes, though I adore the flowers to distraction, so I'm not qualified to talk about relative merits of rose perfumes. The Rosine line are the closest to my grandmother's garden I've ever smelled, well done!

I love Stella. It works really well on me and I always get lots of compliments when I wear it. The only problem I find with it though is that its easily recognisable! I don't know how many times I've heard...''You smell nice...Are you wearing Stella?''

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    I remember when Stella was launched - there was QUITE a rave about it here on BN. Then there was Stella Sheer, and Stella In Two....and...well...I guess Stella has become yesterday's news.
    I do know about the DH of one BN member who likes it a lot, and wears it himself....

Hey - where are you, Quarry??
    [Skids in with stocking feet across wood floor...]

Yeah, dig this, Dust--my hubby (six-foot-tall, dark-haired, 58-year-old carpenter-type) will wear only Stella Rose Absolute (this is the parfum-strength, amber-rich solution). He says it's the favorite part of his shower--coming out and spraying on the Stella. He's on his third bottle!

So, maybe Twolf's mechanic image fits in this instance. However, TwoRoads' astute which-came-first observation is making me a little nervous about how much you might like my DH!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    I've never smelled it!
    Ya wanna?
    Last edited by Quarry; 23rd January 2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heck yeah!
    Thank you for the offer, it's very kind of you to offer!!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

And now DustB has unwittingly INCREASED the circulation of Stella.