Code of Conduct

Default Battle of Giants: Antaeus versus Egoiste

It would be nice if you could give us your opinions about these two fragrances. I bought both recently, and although I prefer the woody leathery Antaeus, not the sandalwood-vanilla Egoiste, I have to admit that both perfumes are really good. I think I will wear Antaeus during winter and Egoiste during summer.

Lucius

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 23rd January 2008 at 05:37 AM.

Default Re: Battle of Giants: Antaeus versus Egoiste

I don't think either Antaeus or Egoiste is wearable during summer.

Both of them are brilliant winter scents and choosing one over the other would be unfair.

Egoiste is perhaps strictly reserved for formal occassions whereas Antaeus is a little more versatile.

gupts

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Egoiste is perhaps strictly reserved for formal occassions whereas Antaeus is a little more versatile.

gupts
    I respectfully disagree, gupts. I find Egoiste much more wearable in informal settings and only wear Antaeus (in small doses) when I want to feel the power flowing through me. Although both are powerhouses and shout their presence, Antaeus seems to have the stronger vocal chords. Also, Egoiste is obviously the more modern of the two and therefore would be more generally accepted by others.

Please feel free to send me down in flames.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 23rd January 2008 at 11:46 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Today is for me Egoiste the winner...but is more a winter scent...also Antaeus is a strong fragrance...both not for summer...maybe in the summer evening!!!
    Last edited by P-Natra; 23rd January 2008 at 12:06 PM.

I wear them both in the Summer. I believe that application is the key. Too much in the Summer and you'll knock other people down, more so with Antaeus.

I think both of these are beautiful classics and comparing them is apples to oranges. Very different. Both are worth having and enjoying, all year round'.
    Eric

One spray of Egoiste will be fine in the summer, and summer nights are particularly good with the E.

Antaeus is more of a Spring/Fall scent, but definitely wearable for summer nights, just use a light finger.

I too like Antaeus better than Egoiste, but the people around me like Egoiste better.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I disagree... I believe both frags can be used in summer. Perhaps they are not fresh like AdG but they can be used with formal and casual clothes.

Dumb question but how do you pronounce Antaeus?

Is like Anna-day-us?

It sounds approximately like Ante-oos

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man's Hand View Post
    Dumb question but how do you pronounce Antaeus?

Is like Anna-day-us?
    "Ann (like the woman's name)-TEA (like Lipton's)-us (like you and me)," an ancient Greek hero, who was invincible as long as he was in contact with the ground. Hercules killed him by lifting him up off the ground first and then crushing him in a bear-hug.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 23rd January 2008 at 05:25 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I think the clash must be between Platinum Egoiste and Antaues.Cause they both give a feeling of power and self-confidence(I havent tested them but thats what I have heard hear on basenotes ).

Egoiste is a well-crafted scent, but I admire it from a distance. The times I've worn it, it's been aloof and has never engaged me - a beautiful porcelain-skinned woman who does not smile or make eye contact. Antaeus, however, is in my blood, and nothing will replace it in my collection. I wear Antaeus in summer and winter, but only very lightly in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    "Ann (like the woman's name)-TEA (like Lipton's)-us (like you and me)," an ancient Greek hero, who was invincible as long as he was in contact with the ground. Hercules killed him by lifting him up off the ground first and then crushing him in a bear-hug.
    I thought it was prounounced 'ann-TAY-us', where TAY rhymes with HAY, and is the stressed syllable. Am I wrong?
    Last edited by Snafoo; 23rd January 2008 at 10:57 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I thought it was prounounced 'ann-TAY-us', where TAY rhymes with HAY, and is the stressed syllable. Am I wrong?

Well I've never heard of that pronunciation....Jaimeb's pronunciation of 'Antaeus' is the one that i have heard most of the times...but recently online i came across another way to pronounce this..

it said

'Ont - aze'

Though i prefer pronouncing it as 'Ant - tea - us'

gupts

Normally, the A in this kind of name is not heard when you say the word. Just ignore the "A" and say Ante-us (us sounds like the us in Luci-us)

My vote goes with Egoiste. I find it much more wearable and versatile. Both are great, but I find myself wearing Egoiste more often. It is a great every day and special occasion scent.
    You are not your perfume.

That's similar to my pronunciation. On-TAY-us.

Agree with those that prefer Egoiste

Just can't get into Antaeus.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

On-tay-us is the form I've used and heard. Ann-tay-us I've also heard.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

This is the way I have always pronounced Antaeus as well, but the online Random House dictionary shows [an-tee-uhs] as being proper.

To Lucious' question, like others, I find myself reaching for Egoiste in every season and for any situation. While Antaeus is equally excellent, it requires more thought before I decide that it will be appropriate for the occasion.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I told you guys.....You should not pronouce the "A", and should say "us" like in "Lucius"!

The reason why I know this is that I am fascinated by Ancient Greece. I read a lot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    the online Random House dictionary shows [an-tee-uhs] as being proper.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 24th January 2008 at 02:52 AM.

Both have special places in my present fragrance usage. I wear Antaeus more in the evenings; on the formal side. Egoiste is a little more versatile to be worn daytime or nighttime. Either way, both are champs to me.

For me Antaeus barely wins out. It almost comes down to whichever one I am sniffing at the time.

Cool Re: Battle of Giants: Antaeus versus Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by tfaust View Post
    Egoiste is a well-crafted scent, but I admire it from a distance. The times I've worn it, it's been aloof and has never engaged me - a beautiful porcelain-skinned woman who does not smile or make eye contact. Antaeus, however, is in my blood, and nothing will replace it in my collection. I wear Antaeus in summer and winter, but only very lightly in the summer.

Wonderfully expressed! Couldn't agree more.

( Here in S. Ca BOTH are winter or nightime or freakin' air-conditioner-required fragrances but this is a minor point)

Here's the main point--regardless of how one pronounces it: You don't have to be tall, dark, handsome or mysterious to wear Antaeus. But if you are, and wear something else, you're making a mistake.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

SInce it's made by Chanel, I suppose you could use the French pronunciation; but then, you would have to pronounce the last syllable with the rounded high-front vowel that doesn't exist in English... and nasalize the vowel in the first syllable: ã-té-ÜS.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I went to Dillards and Macy's to find either one of these, but no go. They, of course had Platinum Eggo-East, which had a similar drydown to YSL L'Homme to me.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I own two bottles of Egoiste.

Used to own one of Antaeus and swapped it.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

bought both bottles from the dutty shop in puerto rico a couple of days ago. coudnt decide which one was better so i just bought both. im happy i did, really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    I went to Dillards and Macy's to find either one of these, but no go. They, of course had Platinum Eggo-East, which had a similar drydown to YSL L'Homme to me.
    HAR!