Code of Conduct

Default I just built a mini collection but I feel this is not the ideal one...

Today I received my order of Diva Ungaro EDP, Arpege Lanvin EDP and Rochas Femme EDP (the latter being a mini). These three join Chanel No 5 (EDP and perfume), Samasara EDP, Ysatis EDT and Ferre EDP.

That being said...I am glad I have a mini collection, but I don't think it is ideal, after trying the latest acquisitions today. I admit I sort of bought Diva unsniffed - mainly based on reviews and on a vague memory of more than 1 year ago when I sampled it in a department store along with others (so it must have been a messy, chaotic memory anyway).

Diva strikes me as terribly sweet (it smells like honey to me) and yes, a little cloying. Trying Arpege from the big bottle (as opposed to a vial) striked me in a different way. I found it slightly oily and again, cloying.
    Rochas Femme is beautiful in that old-fashion, bygone-era way which is clearly no longer appreciated by most. I do like it though. Granted the directory is off, how would you characterize the notes in these 3 fragrances? Are they really as sweet and cloying as I perceive them now to be (the first two).

None of the ones I have sampled or bought so far can hold a candle to No 5. Too bad this one is too expensive and requires multiple applications on me.

My next two projects are Joy Sublime and Baghari Piguet and maybe further down the road one from the Caron collection (most likely Nocturne). These I sniffed and sampled well so I KNOW I will like them. I hope to find my second Holy Grail soon and then be done with expanding the wardrobe to no end.

Default Re: I just built a mini collection but I feel this is not the ideal one...

Quote Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
    I hope to find my second Holy Grail soon and then be done with expanding the wardrobe to no end.
    Good luck! I think you have been bitten by the Basenotes bug, my dear. But it's our gain to keep you here!
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Default Re: I just built a mini collection but I feel this is not the ideal one...

Oh, yes. Of course. It happened to me last year too...but then I decided not to embark yet on the mini-collection adventure. Now I am better poised to do it...

I think at some point I will put this Diva up for swap. It was not an inspired purchase, I am afraid.

Does it really smell like honey to you?

can I suggest you try wearing Diva before giving it away?

I have it too, and I don't like it much for the first half hour or so but then it becomes lovely. I think it is once the top note aldehydes wear off that I like it. And although I don't wear it often, I make sure I put it on early enough that once I'm out and about it has reached the stage I like
    look famous, be legendary, appear complex, act easy
    radiate presence, travel light, seem a dream, prove real

Diva becomes slightly fruity on me.
    Arpege; warm, aldehydic, powdrey
    Femme; warm, chypre, slightly peachy, animal like quality

But this is just my take on them, and how they are on me.
    I would definitely give the Diva a chance, and also Arpege, it is such a classic
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

I am wearing Diva EDP today...and I must say that I am less than impressed not just with the fragrance itself but also with its strength, sillage, staying power, you name it. Based on reviews and the name itself, I expected some unbelievable bomb but it is only 9:50am (about 1 hour after application) and I can barely smell anything anymore.

By contrast, when I wore Ysatis EDT the other day, it was still there when I took a shower in the evening, all over the place. Both my mom and my husband could smell it perfectly.

How weird with these perfumes, how they perform so radically different on different people. It's quite amazing.